( search forums )
The Quality of Maps.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Pride
April 17, 2006, 7:49 am
There seems to be a shortage of quality, or even decent maps being made lately and I think the mapping forum needs a new section for maps in between "new" and "quality" this would help weed out the maps that seem to have had little or no effort put in to them from the ones that people spent time and effort on.

A good example is Flying Dutchman's CTF_Ferveo this is a lovely map, and clearly a great deal of effort was put into it, but behold, only a mere eleven posts, and 120 page views.

Over half the posts on the first page are maps that are either the creators first map, an early map, or a map made with no effort. Most of them have very little shading, if they have any at all.

One of the big problem is that people download a mapmaking program and post the first completely unskilled map they make. I didn't post the first map I made, in fact I still have it, and let me say that it is a horrendous pile of garbage. I realized that when I made it and while making it thus it's semi fitting title dm_WTF. And even though I got a hold of the ropes before I posted, my first map it was still mediocore. it had little or no shading, and was completely unbalanced.

Instead of making my next map like the last I tried to fix these problem, by adding shading and balancing it. Sadly, some people don't seem to listen to the advice they're given and continue to make subpar maps.

So, advice for new mappers:
-Don't post the first map you make, it probably sucks.
-Listen to the advice you're given.
-Read a few tutorials
Tutorial list
SML Tutorials
-Feel free to ask for help in the mapping help section. (You can even PM me and I can give you a personal step by step tutorial.)(Don't do this a lot.)
-Read the posting rules.
-Follow the rules.
-Put effort into your maps.
-Use others maps to see what the general poly placement should look like.
-Realize that I put a lot of time and effort into typing this.(no I didn't)
-Yes, I did go on a tangent from my original paragraph.
-I meant to go on a tangent.
-I know that some of this isn't advice.
-And last but not least, make good maps.

Note:
I am not aiming this at anyone specifically.

Vijchtidoodah
April 17, 2006, 7:54 am
That's why I got tired of this section of the forums. People posted insta-crap maps and expected good reviews -- and usually got them from people who were either too nice or too unobservant.

scourge
April 22, 2006, 4:10 am
can we please make it a rule that you can't post first maps... or second. kinda mean i know, but we get on average 4 first maps a day none of which are very good. my first maps all sucked.

remember prides heatstroke map... well you don't want to see my origional version. if people are going to make frist maps... we need a seperate forum for mapping noobs. or find some way to force them to read tutorials.

Keron Cyst
April 22, 2006, 4:43 pm
Oh, so you don't want to see X-Tender's first map?

DeMonIc
April 22, 2006, 5:08 pm
I could rename 'New maps' to 'Polygon crap', but that would be mean, so I'm not.

And there are quite a few sticky topics in the mapping forum which only serve to help new mappers. Most people don't do that, apperantly 'reading' isn't their strong part.

Pride
April 22, 2006, 6:14 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Keron CystOh, so you don't want to see X-Tender's first map?

I was making a broad generazilation. There are some good first maps, but teh vast majority of them blow.

edit: I like Demonics idea actually...

Major Alwex
April 22, 2006, 11:56 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Keron CystOh, so you don't want to see X-Tender's first map?

Need to add that he said it was his first map, With Polyworks, doubt it was his absolute first attempt on the map making.

KamikazeDuck
April 23, 2006, 1:04 am
The only problem with this is that most of the people that come in and post garbage as their first map just want to release it and usually, they have never been on these forums before so I doubt they would check the rules and all before they post it.

So you could have them named like this:

First maps:
If your new to mapping post your maps here.
New maps:
If your an experienced mapper and you've got a good map you've made then put it here.
Quality maps:
Only get put in here if voted in. (which is already what the section is).

Eagles_Arrows
April 23, 2006, 1:12 am
I wonder what happened to Demonic's "Quality Maps Voting" polls.

scourge
April 23, 2006, 3:18 am
i kinda doubt that was his first map. it looks absolutley gorgeous, and nothing like anyother first map. I am sure he played around with poly works for many hous before posting that rather than the usual first map, which consists of random polys by people testing the tool. veen if it was his first then he may be one of the only new mappers to read the stickys about poly placement (which was perfect in his map) and for that i congratulate him.

carnageX
May 6, 2006, 3:53 am
My first map (Moonlit Cliff) got pretty good reviews, and I just played around with it during that map. I modified things I thought I saw fit, and voila, I made Moonlit Cliff (see siggy below). The "Don't post your first or second maps" rule would kinda be bad.... Because some people actually make good first maps. But I doubt that rule would really work out anyway, because people would say "Oh, it's not my first map, I played around with it a little before" but in fact, they could have just put it together, without playing around with the program at all =\. So it wouldn't really work out anyway =\.

Pride
May 6, 2006, 5:02 am
When I said that I meant more either make sure that the map isn't just a random assortment of polys, or you actually edit things after you release it. I didn't actually mean that all first maps were bad and I'm sorry if I directly offended you, Moonlit Cliff is a very nice example. I like the style of shading you used, and it has a good lay out.

carnageX
May 6, 2006, 4:42 pm
Yar, I know what you meant. My post was more directed towards scourge, more than anybody else. And,yes, some people's maps are just random things thrown together, but some are good, and deserve a chance. That's all I'm saying.

And thanks for the props on MC =).