( search forums )
Is it just me?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Ok
April 18, 2006, 6:14 pm
Sometimes I feel I'm under the illusion that English is the informed language on the net or should I say the world?
Prehapes its just the American mentality implimented into my brain when I was a baby.
I dunno... that's why I'm writing this topic.

Its one thing to have player not knowing English and all.. you can expect everyone to actually understand the language (I actually do , but nvm).

I sent Blitz1941 , check the game here http://www.blitz1941.com
a question, using their nice and very comfortable system.
I got an answer, from one of their experts .
I'm just thinking, if he's such an expert at programing, net issues and such, shouldn't he atleast know English properly?

The game itself has ALOT of bad grammar issues, not to talk about the spelling which is so easy to fix using a simple dictionary, I mean its not like they're writing a post somewhere, its a game, you could spend an hour or 2 correcting the spelling mistakes , or even have the computer do it automaticly for you!

Anyhow, here's the answer they gave me after I asked them for the server IP or any other method of checking my ping with the server:
This is management Blitz1941.

Quote:We can not open for you.

Unfortunately,this sever is a test sever,but not permanant.

If you want to enjoy our game more,just wait until the server in your countray openining.

Thank you for your question.

I don't mean to laugh at anyone, but the game seems very good, its not like soldat when its obvious only 1 or 2 guys worked on it.
There's a really big team behind that game and I don't think they're just kids .
What do you think?

DeMonIc
April 18, 2006, 6:19 pm
It's a Korean game. Need I say more?

Ok
April 18, 2006, 6:28 pm
So?
This is a Polish game.. the owner not only made a perfect game when it comes to English.
He also speaks English very well.
<3 MM

And he's just one guy..
Its just a 1 time investment, you think they would take the time to fix it.. wouldn't you?

The Geologist
April 18, 2006, 6:54 pm
Hmmm..I know little of other languages but I'm taking a stab at this anyhoo :P

Being that this is a Korean game and after looking at the structure of their language a few times (nothing major, mind you), it seems that languages of the Euro assortment would lend themselves much more readily to an English translation than those of Asian assortment, which sometimes lack letters, characters and the like to make for such translations (or at least make them as smooth). But, I may very well be completly wrong. Just a thought.

Deleted User
April 18, 2006, 10:49 pm
woah man you still play blitz?

peemonkey
April 19, 2006, 12:13 am
Koreans make games for koreans, that's what they're about. Michal makes games for everyone, so he's cool.
I wouldn't call michal's english [/i]very well[/i], but it's certainly better than most people's.

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 1:31 am
Actually, Korean is grammatically close to English because the adjective/adverb goes before the noun/action, etc.

The Geologist
April 19, 2006, 1:33 am
Ahh..fair enough, I didn't think I was correct anyhoo. Anything similar to Japanese in that while l to r thing? That's more what I was getting at.

frogboy
April 19, 2006, 2:07 am
I always thought Korean was similar in structure to Japanese... they're both Subject-Object-Verb languages, whereas English is Subject-Verb-Object. Apparently Korean has the same l/r thing too.

Besides, just because the guy is a good programmer, doesn't mean he's good at spoken languages. In programming languages, everything is in a set format, whereas in English every single rule has an exception.

Aegis
April 19, 2006, 3:47 am
I don't know if this is necessarily true or not, but as far as English goes, Europe is a lot more informed than Asian countries as far as I've seen. (With the exception of Japan, I guess. But I dunno, really.)For instance, in many European countries, English is a required second language in school. I think it is also considered the 'business' or 'international' language by the U.N. if I remember.

Ok
April 19, 2006, 10:05 pm
I know that programming doesnt require good English.
I didn't mean he must know English very well.

BUT! if you dedicate so many ours programing, so much money into servers and hosts.
And you can see the game is not just a silly project someone started when he was bored (hehe took a stab MM) wouldn't it be the least of efforts to make sure the grammar and spelling are correct?
Its a 1 time investment as I said, he doesnt need to do it by himself, I'm sure he can find someone who knows English good enough, and as for spelling, there are enough online dictionaries to help them out.
They made an English version of the whole thing, that will make the game popular, I can assure you, that's what they want.

It just seems like making a fancy car, that drives fast, looks great, but the inside sits looks like crap, the wheel is big and there is no radio!
You can still enjoy the ride, and the car will work just fine, but those little things could really make it all better.

And just for the record, Hebrew is a language that looks like a code next to English, those are the words my american English teacher said when I was at high school.
I also had some chats to a language expert who said that the reason most europeans speak English good is because their language is very similiar to English so its easy for them.
dunno much about korean, but it doesnt matter, in Israel you can always find a friend or 2 who know English good enough to compile something without mistakes, the English I speak here is what I type in my typing speed.
If I wanted too, I could make a 100% accurate English post, and I have atleast 2 friends who can do the same, none of us are special we're not extra smart or have uniqe skills for English, we're just Israelis who know English.. I'm sure there are koreans who know English.

thekingkitty
April 20, 2006, 8:43 am
Well i kinda know how to speak korean and such, and well the korean language consists of 40 contemporary words. It has 14 primary consonants and 5 secondary consonants. It also has 10 primary vowels and 11 secondary. So the korean and english langauge is very different. And the sentence structure is also very different. Yah korean is kinda hard :/

But besides that many people in korea knows english and is a required thing in korean schools, and i think they even have numerous english teaching channels. But from what you got in the letter from the blitz people is a case of average mistakes in english.If you can read it, then theres no worry.

zaraza
April 20, 2006, 4:14 pm
In A.D. 2101
War was beginning
Captain: What happen?
Operator: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What!
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's You!!
Cats: How are you gentlemen!!
Cats: All your base are belong to us.
Cats: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say!!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Cats: Ha Ha Ha Ha ?.
Captain: Take off every "zig."
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move "zig".
Captain: For great justice.

Ok
April 20, 2006, 4:30 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by thekingkitty
But besides that many people in korea knows english and is a required thing in korean schools, and i think they even have numerous english teaching channels. But from what you got in the letter from the blitz people is a case of average mistakes in english.If you can read it, then theres no worry.

First of all, there was no worry anyhow, but I do think its the basic needs of a game, to have good grammar and spelling.
ITs really easy to do it really.. since u have so many sources that can help u do it.

Having said that, I can tell you that some of their mistakes actually did confuse me
For example when you want to use a skill and its not ready yet.
It says "It remained 34 seconds"
Took me ALOT of time to realize its just a mistake, I kept thinking I'm doing something wrong and that "It" is a short for something else, since I've seen it in other places.

a-4-year-old
April 20, 2006, 10:43 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by OkSo?
This is a Polish game.. the owner not only made a perfect game when it comes to English.
He also speaks English very well.
<3 MM

And he's just one guy..
Its just a 1 time investment, you think they would take the time to fix it.. wouldn't you?

he also has translations made,

Grammer and such is probably one of the major things in the game, before you even start playing the game you see the spelling and grammer, and even something like:
______
|start!|
______
|Optins|
____
|Exit|

this could kill the game for someone like me.

Keron Cyst
April 21, 2006, 12:42 am
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old
... before you even start playing the game you see the spelling and grammer, and even something like:
______
|start!|
______
|Optins|
____
|Exit|

this could kill the game for someone like me.
(It's grammar. I've seen that misspelled online more than the word "misspelled.")

Marcinkowski's setting "automaticly" in Config.EXE was kinda annoying, heh, but I lived. :-P

Ok
April 21, 2006, 2:17 am
Lets agree, that's not something most players see <_<
A line who reports how much time you got left to do something, IS important.
Oh and I won't even talk about the training session in the beggining.
Took me forever to understand what the hell am I suposed to do..
I don't remember exactly, but there was something wrong with the explaination of how to capture a building.

Famine
April 21, 2006, 2:24 am
 Quote:A line who reports how much time you got left to do something, IS important.

O.o

Amazingly, with a bit of common sense, it took me a few seconds to understand this.

Ok
April 21, 2006, 4:35 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Famine Quote:A line who reports how much time you got left to do something, IS important.

O.o

Amazingly, with a bit of common sense, it took me a few seconds to understand this.

See, I'm not writing a game I can afford making mistakes.
But go on, start the flame war...

Rhombus
April 21, 2006, 6:21 pm
A typo isn't that much of a big deal... but if somebody notices it... (which should happen any time you play the game) they should change it...

Ok
April 21, 2006, 11:38 pm
Nah, its not a typo, the whole game is filled with bad grammar and spelling mistakes.
As a matter of fact, I've seen some spanish speaking players use that same phrase "it remained 10 minutes to use skill"
they just used it for other stuff like XP points.
I think they saw it in the game and though this is how you write it...