( search forums )
How Did You Find about Soldat?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
shoover
April 19, 2006, 2:04 am
I couldnt find a search in the search results so i thought i might ask.

Now most people think that the game is underrated. After all that one magazine said we were one of the top 10 games we've never heard of.

It all depends. How did you guys find out about Soldat?

a-4-year-old
April 19, 2006, 2:31 am
i had been searching alot for a free game, and i checked forums for a game that was much like a game i found, some guy posted about soldat being 999999999 times better and it sure was! that was way back in 1.2.1, i guess soldat is really under advertized here.

Eagles_Arrows
April 19, 2006, 2:36 am
Banner in N forums.

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 2:37 am
I do not even remeber; only that I was looking for a well made, free game that could run on crappy dial-up and a slow computer.

candiedkobolds
April 19, 2006, 2:57 am
Gameinformer; soldat was "the number one free game"

g-force9
April 19, 2006, 2:58 am
Friend, who Google searched Soldat because he is in a german class (of wich I did not take) and wanted to know what Soldier ment in German.

peemonkey
April 19, 2006, 3:17 am
Lester, my former techy friend who got me my first computer had added a few programs and tweaked it, and soldat was one of the games in there, and the most fun before I could use internet. It was a couple years ago, when I lived in Sonoma.

reckon
April 19, 2006, 3:48 am
I didnt find soldat, soldat found out about me.

UGK
April 19, 2006, 3:50 am
G4Tv. Freeplay friday FTW.

MWTBDLTR
April 19, 2006, 4:17 am
 Quote:Originally posted by UGKG4Tv. Freeplay friday FTW.

same here. i wrote it down on a piece of paper, lost that piece of paper for about 3 months, and found it agian. When i found it i was like, "What the hell does SOLDAT mean???" then i remembered later, downloaded it, and from then on i have had a new #1 game. Well halo 2 and soldat compete for my #1 game

Koon
April 19, 2006, 4:59 am
I have a friend who used to subscribe to some gamer magazine that sent him free demo discs, on these there were also various freeware stuff and extras. It had soldat 1.0.5 on it and I got really addicted. Then when I finally got internet back at my house I went to the site to discover 1.2.1

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 5:25 am
I was in IRC for some RPG, and the server crashed and everyone was like. "OK LETS GO PLAY SOLDAT!"

So, that's how I started.

GNU
April 19, 2006, 5:44 am
From a friend who found it on some website.

Ebby
April 19, 2006, 6:37 am
Friend online. :D Yay for friends.

vash763
April 19, 2006, 7:27 am
Some kids got caught trying to set up a LAN game in the row behind me, 5th period Digital Design.

From then on I've been hooked.

Recently a kid in my Biology class had his new Game Informer. I was flipping through it, and I saw Soldat in there and started raving about it.

The kid ended up setting the game up on the computer in my class. I guess he's hooked too.

thekingkitty
April 19, 2006, 8:31 am
Oh well i was looking for free games to play, so i wikied it!

UltraMagnus
April 19, 2006, 9:02 am
uh, a forum, dont remember what one, i think it was a crap one come to think of it...

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 9:04 am
I found it by touching myself at night.

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 9:12 am
 Quote:I found it by touching myself at night.

Eh? How do you find soldat through all of that? o.O;

My freind showed me the game and basicly got me to play with him against bots for a while, he dissapeared then another freind brought me into serious soldat! :D

Unlucky 13
April 19, 2006, 9:18 am
CD from an Australian PC magazine, had 1.0.5b on it.
Then we got decent internet, so I went to the site, and viola, Michal had made version 1.2!

Zegovia
April 19, 2006, 11:09 am
I got it from a thread in another forum.... the one who made it worked hard to advertise it.. :P

criddo
April 19, 2006, 11:29 am
I found it on the CD in an APC Mag about 3 years ago, 1.0.5b same way as Unlucky 13!!! Since then I haven't stopped playing.

Mr. Domino
April 19, 2006, 11:34 am
Something Awful had a great thread a couple of years ago on free games. From that I found N due to descriptions mentioning its simplicity and physics engine, and from there I saw Soldat listed in N's credits.

numgun
April 19, 2006, 11:37 am
in a middle of a desert somewhere in place called ''bahariya'' located in egypt, there was a 'me' and i had found the machine... from which i found www.acid-play.com and downloaded soldat. =D

xtishereb
April 19, 2006, 4:56 pm
My crazy friend (all my friends are crazy, btw) sent me a link to the Soldat homepage during February vacation last year. It took a visit over to his house and camping of bots for several minutes to convince me to download it. That was back in 1.2.1. Ahh, how easy it was to instantly kill people with the Barrett. Anyway, I instantly got hooked into the idea of mods and additonal stuff, the leech (downloading lots of files in a short time) in me came out.

xTreme D
April 19, 2006, 5:09 pm
My ex-friend has call me and talked about a 1337 game!! He said he have find it in google.de!!
He have write Soldat and search!! He has said on the first page from google is a Page where I can download it!!

Now I hate my ex-friend because he is a Ass**le!!!

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 5:18 pm
OK i founded this when i was on My friends party it was so 1337 so i downlaod it!

Rai-Dei
April 19, 2006, 6:03 pm
Well I was bored and browsing through online games, and this one caught my eye.

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 7:37 pm
I found this game from G4 back when they aired "The Screen Savers" (You know, before Attack of the Show)

I'm very greatful for that episode airing...

bond_james_bond
April 19, 2006, 8:29 pm
I found soldat on download.com Found 1.1.5 then someone put a review saying that 1.1.5 was the old version. So they linked to the soldat homepage and I've been hooked.

Cookie.
April 19, 2006, 8:52 pm
Well I was stalking N00bface and came to discover that he played the game, the rest is history ^_^

-VzX- Silverflame
April 19, 2006, 8:58 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by numgunin a middle of a desert somewhere in place called ''bahariya'' located in egypt, there was a 'me' and i had found the machine... from which i found www.acid-play.com and downloaded soldat. =D

same here. i was looking for a freeware game to play, started to look at the top 50 or w/e it was back in 1.1.5, kept it in my computer for awhile while i played other freeware games, then dl 1.2.1 after i was done with the other games i had. i cant belive i let poor soldat 1.1.5 sit there :(, i been hooked on soldat for that long? 0_0

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 9:04 pm
I googled "multiplayer action game" 1 1/2 years ago.

staskesi
April 19, 2006, 9:50 pm
a friend asked me to play 3 years ago and i still got hung up :D

Mini Man
April 19, 2006, 10:02 pm
Humm...i believe me and my brother where searching Mmorpg.com and he found it...this was back when the only secondary weapon was the Socom..no idea what version - Can anyone help me out here?
Anyway, he played maybe for a day or two, and since then ive been playing soldat off and on :D, An amazing game, so simple too.
<3 MM!

rabidhamster
April 19, 2006, 10:17 pm
Back in forth grade (I'm in ninth now), a friend told me about a racing game called Re-Volt. I love it, and discover it's immense moddability. For that reason, I played it for five years. After I'm well-aquainted with a fella in the modding community named Shawn64 (the creator of Jetz4), he tells me about Gamemaker, and a few years after that, Soldat. At the time, 1.2 was just released.

As you can tell, I only play moddable games.

Sgt. York
April 19, 2006, 10:59 pm
I saw it on Tech TV (Before it was G4 and had crappy shows :p) and yelled WHOA! THAT LOOKS AWSOME! at my 13" tv screen. Heh

Beren
April 20, 2006, 1:53 am
In a friend's AIM Profile it said "Soldat is where it's at." And soldat was a link to the homepage. I eventually checked it out, drooled for a bit over all that I saw, and then months later convinced my dad to let me download it (cause he's anti-download). That was sometime in 1.2. Unfortunately, by the time I got it, all my friends whom I had heard talking about it and the one who had it in his profile had stopped playing. I was bummed. But I got over it.

shoover
April 20, 2006, 4:29 am
yea i knew a zone player that mentioned it to me, ever seen, HOS (guess what it means)

Bug
April 20, 2006, 7:07 am
My friend told me 4 years ago how cool it is to smash bots down with minigun and play assault-kidna game mods (infiltration). Then I started to play soldat, and I still do so.

Deleted User
April 20, 2006, 1:11 pm
I saw some year 10's playing it, and asked how to get it. I played against them, and mascurated them with a Stationary gun.

-VzX- Jbigz
April 20, 2006, 10:14 pm
game informer. number one free game. they were right.

Unlucky 13
April 21, 2006, 8:08 am
 Quote:Originally posted by criddoI found it on the CD in an APC Mag about 3 years ago, 1.0.5b same way as Unlucky 13!!! Since then I haven't stopped playing.

Fairly likely it was the same magazine :D

Quote:As you can tell, I only play moddable games.
Moddability for the win!

yamo
April 21, 2006, 1:06 pm
found it on the mpogd top 10 sometime last year. best find ever.

RabidTreeFrog
April 23, 2006, 5:47 pm
I found soldat when I went on mmorpg.com. I clicked a link, and saw a post that said soldat was the best game.I went to the homepage of soldat, downloaded, and, well...I joined a CTF game and started playing.

shoover
April 23, 2006, 8:07 pm
mmorpg.com lol