( search forums )
is camping bad action?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
CH_SHe
April 20, 2006, 6:14 am
i love soldat the game cause i feel the real cambat in it.

yes! i think we play the WAR with soldat!!
and there's no rule to win!!
we or i must win with all cost, right?
(of course, all cost except playing game with hacking or cracking.. and using abnormal means)

camping is just one of the tactical purpose.
well.. it might not help my team to win.
but what i act is just my private decision.

many players of soldat dislike campers.
they hide & sneak and shoot.
sometimes, even i feel nasty when im hitted by the camper.
but i can't blame him. cause this is WAR game!

what sniper on earth does moving-shot?
sniper always hide and sneak. when they found right place to snipe somebody, then they do their work with hiding & sneaking.

Camping is Legal action.
shooting on moving is rather illegal to them.

-------------
if i wrote down with wrong expression.. plz let me know :D

Ozone
April 20, 2006, 7:38 am
 Quote:what sniper on earth does moving-shot?

What sniper on earth squeezes the trigger and then the weapon on earth fires half a second later?

What soldier on earth wears jet boots?

What soldier on earth can lay down in mid air and then stand up again?

Nevermind, i just dont like real life being compared to games. Camping is not liked because campers usually lay in bushes right near the flag and kill anyone that comes up to the flag. And then when people come to get the flag and get killed over and over again and then they say that the person is a noob and that they should go suck their dingly dangly and blah blah blah. I dont care about camping because all you gotta do is go in with a friend. The camper kills one and the other runs away with the flag.

Deleted User
April 20, 2006, 10:02 am
Camping is fine, at least for realistic mode. I do not know what to say for normal; as for realistic mode, it is just part of the game.

Zero72
April 20, 2006, 10:10 am
I don't understand why camping is hated so much. I mean, most of the default maps have lots of little camping hidey-holes. It's part of the game.

Deleted User
April 20, 2006, 1:08 pm
Camping is a form of cowardism. It can be accepted....to a point. If you sit in the one spot all the time, trying to get cowardly kills, Thats not ok. But if you hide in a spot for a short amount of time, trying to make a plan of action, then thats fine.
 Quote:Playstation online's Central StationSnipers are aloud to camp
I also Agree with that.

Chakra`
April 20, 2006, 1:39 pm
In any game mode but survival, it's alright. Otherwise it's just pussying out.

CH_SHe
April 20, 2006, 2:15 pm
Ozone, u r saying so ironically..
anyway.. i think that repetition killing enemy at near the enemy's base is also one form of carrying the enemy's position.
of course, they(the enemy), should try to find a way out of the depression..

and hiding & running can't be called with Cowardism.
In any form of competition, we can say, hiding & running out from the enemy is one of the most important strategies. but, we must move on when the time's come.

i think blaming campers is very mind from cowardism.

don't blame them, just go and kill campers..
how glorious fun it is.. :D

The Geologist
April 20, 2006, 3:36 pm
Camping is cowardism..? Please...that'd be a great example of people getting butthurt because they get killed by campers. That's the only reason people have a problem with campers - because they get shot by them. Many people just assume themselves to be better than campers because they view campers as some sub-human species, when in fact there are little differences and some bitter imaginations.

FadeWolf
April 20, 2006, 4:33 pm
Im a sniper for sure.

When I camp I always take out one prey and move to a different spot. Sometimes I even slowly head to the enemies base by hiding and sniping and running.... and hiding once more. I wouldnt call it cowardly, its tactics and a good way to keep the flag safe. Is the mission NOT to keep your flag at base and to get the enemies? No, so then what is wrong with camping you say? "O ITZ S0 NoOBISH STOOPID NOOB!!!!111@!@!" Get the hell over it, its smart, its tactics.

Chakra`
April 20, 2006, 4:59 pm
Wouldn't say it's noobish exactly. Certainly requires a degree of intelligence and prediction on the camper's part. A good camper will change position constantly, and provide constant supression while always being prepared for an unexpected rush of numerious foes.

However, I still say it's cowardly, especially in a survival mode situation where theres no second chances. You can either embrace your enemy and defeat him face to face under relatively fair circumstances, or attempt to kill him from a distance before he can retaliate, and if to fail retreat and try again, always under the situation where the sniper has a chance of killing the enemy before the opponent does.

Tactical, certainly, but fair and fun? a challenge? ...nay. Theres little in the way of tactics to counter such a player either, except perhaps to wait patiently and lure them out. Not the most engaging of exercises.

I say this having played a game of r/s yesterday, where one team just camped all the way through it. On a large variety of maps there isn't often chance for flanking such a player, especially when they're in their majority and covering most 'lanes'. It soon became a one-sided bore.

Ozone
April 21, 2006, 12:34 am
 Quote: Ozone, u r saying so ironically..

Huh? What do you mean? Have you seen me go off my nut or something while im playing?

CH_SHe
April 21, 2006, 4:18 am
 Quote:
What sniper on earth squeezes the trigger and then the weapon on earth fires half a second later?
What soldier on earth wears jet boots?
What soldier on earth can lay down in mid air and then stand up again?

hmm;; u seem to be misunderstood;; sorry;
I'm saying.. u r saying with a little crooked words..
That words in the quote is a little far from what i am saying..

(anyway..)I apology u to be misunderstood.. there's no ill will. So Sorry~!!

CH_SHe
April 21, 2006, 4:49 am
SOLDAT can't be compared with other r/s games..
many types of situation are different..

cause it's on open vast 3D-field in r/s.
and there's a variety of obstacles to hide and cover with..

but in Soldat, who bores with that action? (that's why i love soldat, no time to waste..)

and.. in Soldat, camping always on same place is like saying..."hey, im here, come & get me.. cause i'm always by here!"

in soldat.. the sniper also gotta change his position to some other safe & sight-nice place,
from time to time, doing shooting on move.

martinmarta
April 21, 2006, 5:22 am
I'm a semi-camper.

In some maps, though, I don't even use Barret.

In the ones I do, anyways, I do this:

When approaching the enemy base, I crouch so I get the scope. I keep on walking (with the scope on) until an enemy is insight or approaching. I take him out, go into the base, shoot another person (loaded by then) then knife another person.

I also use the scope ALOT, but in a non-campive way.

a-4-year-old
April 21, 2006, 1:04 pm
in 3d games like CoD2 you are screwed if you dont camp a little bit, unless you have a trench gun :P

In those games, you almost can see the Nazi that has been sitting in that bush for 10 minutes, but in soldat the sceneries are so covering they are like a little bunker for your soldat.

Echo_Trail
April 21, 2006, 3:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Chakra`In any game mode but survival, it's alright. Otherwise it's just pussying out.

I agree, camping is pretty cowardly. However, it's fully allowed in any gametype, and as mush as I hate being shot by a camper, I have no choice but to accept it and try to find a way to counter it.

Quote:Originally posted by CH_SHewhat sniper on earth does moving-shot?

It is possible to use the barret as an assault weapon. It's been done before, and is actually rather effective if mastered. Remember, it has the same potential as the m79, only other advantages/disadvantages.

Deleted User
April 21, 2006, 4:06 pm
"what sniper on earth does moving-shot?"

CH_SHe ever played against any good barret-users?

CH_SHe
April 21, 2006, 6:15 pm
I agree, Echo_Trail.
But, one thing, i don't agree with camping is just cowardly, anyway.
You said
 Quote:
and as mush as I hate being shot by a camper,I have no choice to accept it and try to find a way to counter it.

And there's no choice to win the game/battle!
In soldat, to win, there's no concern with how much i have killed.
oppressing other team with cooperation, action on system would be better for winning.

And i remember there were no happy times when my avatar got down on the ground.
Killed by someone is always annoying.

if i got down by someone, if he made me very nervous, i would revenge on him with my own poor skill whatever my team goes well or not. ;)
otherwise, as u said, i would try to find some other way to win.

and..

Zamorak, i don't get what u r saying.
I'd played for a long time SOLDAT.
Well i can say there may be many of very skillful barret-users..
i just respected them at the time.
so what was your subject?

Rhombus
April 21, 2006, 6:32 pm
Camping is something I would do in real life too... Jumping into the frey is just really bad for your health... long and short terms... If you want a LITTLE realism in this game... just undo the barret trigger change.

Do you think that in a war... when somebody gets sniped... all the other soldiers start screaming: YOU FREAKING LAMER, YOU CAMP, I WILL TELL ON YOU!!!

yes that was a retorical question...

Alamo
April 21, 2006, 9:49 pm
You are not supposed to have fun in war, are you?
Soldat is supposed to be fun for everyone, not for single players. And being shot in mid-air from some f?!$%ing bush is definitely not fun. So to allow everyone to have their fun, just don't play 'unfair' :)

Echo_Trail
April 21, 2006, 10:14 pm
I disagree, A.
Sometimes you're flying through the air, and you just have that feeling, man. The feeling that this is really your chance, and your really set up for a mercyless killing spree. This, however, all falls to the ground with a single, well placed shot from underneath you. A freakin camper, just waiting for the prey. Well, instead of going nuts, i'm always like, "Aw man. I see you, mate. Better relocate :)" or something. I always try to make the best of it, really.

In games like this, there will always be people who're just trying to run the shortest path. (This was a little homemade metaphor.) There's just not much you can do about it.

CH_SHe
April 22, 2006, 7:27 am
well.. i dont get it.. Alamo
u wouldn't be able to smile & smile always during playing a game.
(if somebody is having fun now in the game, there must be some other having ill.)
finally, if u come to accomplish some your own mission, and u happy with it,
isn't that fun & game?

this is simply a game, isn't it?
although, somebody killed me through dishonorable way,
if it's not prohibited in the game, there's no words to blame him.

FUN? I think what i saying fun is just in my smart; fascinating; exciting; thrilling action & result!
well.. maybe, got disappointed, shameful, annoyed..
but That's the game!

Echo_Trail
April 22, 2006, 9:53 am
 Quote:Originally posted by CH_SHewell..
(if somebody is having fun now in the game, there must be some other having ill.)

Hmm.. I don't see how this is any different from what Alamo said. There's a hair thin line between serious, (perhaps) rankingbased gameplay, and the hole i-don't-give-a-[CENSORED] gaming style. And what I quoted you on above pretty much marks that very difference. Fun gaming is all about.. you might say forgiveness. To be able to just laugh at your own death, and go like, "Aw, Nice Shot, man".
I mean, it's a game, right? What the point of getting pissed about it? Not much fun in that, if you ask me.

Don't make Soldat a burdon, man. Just after christmas i quit school. I didn't find a fulltime job 'til like a month and a half later. That left me with alot of free time, and with pretty much nothing to do - considering all me mates being in school and such. Instead I started playing a great deal of soldat, and that actually resulted in me totally losing my skills. I used to be all about K/D rat. 2.5(maybe even 3.0), but because of me making soldat more of a habit instead of just a huge [CENSORED]load of fun, i didn't push myself to the max. It had, however, become an obsession, and me not doing better than Average rat. 1.7, really bugged me. I actually had a minor depression, partly from this.
It's not like I was scratching myself with my butterfly blade or nothing, I just couldn't help thinking about it all day long.

Now I'm back in business. I'm no where near as good as I used to be, but I'm having fun. Just playing whenever I feel like it, and not just because I have to kill time. I think it pretty much goes with this topic, 'cause it sort of tells you to be a little more laid back about things. Chill out, man. Don't worry too much about weapon balance, nerfing of barret, that stupid camper above, etc..
Be cool about it, and take the things as they are. You know you ain't changing it anyway.
Thank you, Echo_Trail

FadeWolf
April 22, 2006, 7:57 pm
look.... This topic is pointless, everyone uses different tactics. Whether it be storming the enemy base, camping, or both,the choices they make effect the game, for good or bad, and they can choose.

a-4-year-old
April 22, 2006, 9:47 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Echo_Trail Quote:Originally posted by CH_SHewell..

Hmm.. I don't see how this is any different from what Alamo said. There's a hair thin line between serious, (perhaps) rankingbased gameplay, and the hole i-don't-give-a-[CENSORED] gaming style. And what I quoted you on above pretty much marks that very difference. Fun gaming is all about.. you might say forgiveness. To be able to just laugh at your own death, and go like, "Aw, Nice Shot, man".
I mean, it's a game, right? What the point of getting pissed about it? Not much fun in that, if you ask me.

Don't make Soldat a burdon, man. Just after christmas i quit school. I didn't find a fulltime job 'til like a month and a half later. That left me with alot of free time, and with pretty much nothing to do - considering all me mates being in school and such. Instead I started playing a great deal of soldat, and that actually resulted in me totally losing my skills. I used to be all about K/D rat. 2.5(maybe even 3.0), but because of me making soldat more of a habit instead of just a huge [CENSORED]load of fun, i didn't push myself to the max. It had, however, become an obsession, and me not doing better than Average rat. 1.7, really bugged me. I actually had a minor depression, partly from this.
It's not like I was scratching myself with my butterfly blade or nothing, I just couldn't help thinking about it all day long.

Now I'm back in business. I'm no where near as good as I used to be, but I'm having fun. Just playing whenever I feel like it, and not just because I have to kill time. I think it pretty much goes with this topic, 'cause it sort of tells you to be a little more laid back about things. Chill out, man. Don't worry too much about weapon balance, nerfing of barret, that stupid camper above, etc..
Be cool about it, and take the things as they are. You know you ain't changing it anyway.
Thank you, Echo_Trail

Echo_Trail, you make an exelent point, but in soldat, much more than half the fun is pissing someone else off. It doesnt matter much how, so's long as you have fun at their expense, whether they acuse you of hacking, or just scream death threats at their monitor, because most people get so totally sucked into the game that they just explode after every death with violent anger, that is the best part!

some people have the huge amount of self control to just shrug and wait for the respawn clock thing to hit zero, and some people just dont give a damn, but they usually are the ones that piss everyone else off. I think these people get a great reward for their pacients, and all the idiots who just rant and whine, just end up wasting their time.

xtishereb
April 22, 2006, 11:08 pm
Camping is okay, as long it does not involve spawns. Hiding in a bush waiting for somebody to run into you, then killing them is just as valid as running towards and killing them.
'Course, if camping involves the abuse/excessive usage of 1-hit-kill weapons other than the Chainsaw (if you can't hear it, it's your own fault), and there's no way to avoid the camper, that's just annoying. Personally, I think the only time camping can be easily accepted is when it is done by the Bravo team in Infiltration mode. What choice do you have, running towards the Alpha spawn or waiting for them to come to you?
Honestly, what doesn't piss me off is the campers, it's the 1-hit-kill weapons.

Deleted User
April 22, 2006, 11:45 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by xtisherebHiding in a bush waiting for somebody to run into you, then killing them is just as valid as running towards and killing them.

Yes, and if they complain, just tell them it is their fault for not spotting you.

Deleted User
April 23, 2006, 12:20 am
I really don?t mind campers because they are easier to hit and then bink (at least with the minimi). There is also the added sense of sadistical pleasure when I see the camper thats totally convinced that he cannot be seen and that his bold green clothes are really hiding him, then having a load of nades and spray directed at him. :P

Echo_Trail
April 23, 2006, 8:55 am
 Quote:Originally posted by xtishereb Camping is okay, as long it does not involve spawns.

I agree. If people get camped midways in the map or something, it their fault. But keep it real, man. Don't camp the spawn point. And then there's those guys who're standing a screens lengh away from the spawnpoint, spraying with minimi or something saying, "Hey, i'm not camping. I have no enemy soldats within my field of view, so technically I'm just shootin' the thin air". C'mon you guys! Get the ethics right, and stop laming.

Everyone knows, in a primitive basis perhaps, what's really right and wrong, so go with your instincts on thiese things. Like, don't spawn, Tk or things like that.

CKA Le MeSsiE
April 23, 2006, 11:11 am
Camping is bad action when you are cutting a fluid game.
Also when the game is a hide-and-seek, there is no matter.

Raptor
April 24, 2006, 2:52 am
I used to hate campers before, but I really couldn't find anything wrong with it. Also, all the time, I meant Sniper campers (using the barret) xD

Deleted User
April 24, 2006, 3:03 am
I have no problem with campers on the other team. Less people in my base. Plus 90% of campers are both really bad at hiding and aiming and can be spotted very easily.

Raptor
April 24, 2006, 3:11 am
^Then a moving player like me is way better than them because I sometimes hide behind boxes for a little while and kill people wihtout them seeing me.

David S7
April 24, 2006, 3:25 am
Camping is a way of playing for anyone. I say it's fine.

Meevious
April 24, 2006, 7:26 am
how can you possibly think that camping is a "lesser" way of killing? A camper takes great care to comoflage, move regularly and aim well, an HK-mp5 or steyr aug spammer is a much scummier player in my opinion. A camper can only shoot every so often, and any bullet that misses its target means instant death. A rapid fire weapon user has all the bullets in the world! The strategy behind such weapons is "vey is easier". The barret has slow cooldown time, slower reload time and terrible bink and movement acc! You rapid firing noobs dare to complain. Someone camps because they get a thrill out of winning with a weapon with the odds stacked against it, just because they can use cover so well. I really think that a good offensive camper is the highest form of soldat player.

Deleted User
April 24, 2006, 8:39 am
If you're playing in a public server and ranting about how people are camping and spawning, you really need to relook at the server, the tendencies of newer players and the fact that anyone can join the server. Play in a pub, be prepared to see the tactics you term as lame or cheap, or newbish. I honestly find people who complain in a public server to be the funniest to provoke to complain even more, which ironicly I used to be the victim of campers and the provoking of me to [CENSORED] further, bwahahaha~

But anyways, in my honest opinion, camping is a much easier method of using the barret. Newer players will usually think that by sitting in a bush next to their teams flag and defending, aka camping the flag will help. Now remember, some of these players have been playing for liek, a week. To be honest, the second I seen the barret in soldat the first thing that came to my mind was CAMP and it worked quite well against bots. =3 But erm. Camping is the true purpose of the barret, and if you're going to complain over it, then learn to counter. Meevious, you're no better then people who cry about camping by putting down the sprayers. Spraying can be seen as lame too- but hey, bink = bad for certain guns and spraying happens to bink barrets.

But on the other hand, camping is rather easy. I do it myself sometimes and 50% of the physics of you moving and them moving at the same time is eliminated because you're just basicly shooting down moving fishes in a giant pool, not in the pool swimming with them. The barret really gets challenging when you're moving. Not only do you account for two people moving at once (including yourself), but the bink from you moving while using a barret you have to aim through as well. For those hardcore campers, I'm sorry to say but camping takes alot less skill then actually moving around. Camping may be the logical way to use the barret, but it doesnt demand for as much practice as actually running around with it.

Another opinion of mine is that camping in theory is kind of useless. Having your flag guarded is great and all...but the guy wouldnt have even made it near your base if you werent held up in a bush, you could of probably have eliminated him half way through the map, thus keeping the enemy AWAY from your flag alltogether. Even if you do die, its likely you can kill him as you respawn AND as your teammates respawn, unless hes REALLY that good or you just plain suck. >>; As they say, the best offense is a great defense..or whatever that damnable saying is.

Thats my bit on this topic. Imo it will be locked since people are provoked to rant their arses off at this, but meh.

CKA Le MeSsiE
April 24, 2006, 7:48 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Noz Plus 90% of campers are both really bad at hiding and aiming and can be spotted very easily.

Yeah, here i agree with you. So lets kill them!

CheshireCat
May 6, 2006, 12:01 am
Think of it this way, if everyone camped then how fun would soldat be? Everyone would be hiding, there would be no action. I don't really have a problem with campers though because it's hard to camp successfully in soldat, if you kill the same person more than once they'll come running to your hiding spot for revenge.

deniitemare
May 6, 2006, 2:12 am
i think camping is perfectly alright (i do it every now and then), the point of ctf is to win.
if winning means someone camps at the flag to stop the other team getting it, then i see nothing wrong with it.

MOFO NOFO
May 6, 2006, 5:53 am
camping is for when youre bored

shoover
May 6, 2006, 10:22 pm
the only way camping is really criticized is if the barret is involved.

Leo
May 7, 2006, 8:28 am
Camping is part of the game. Just accept it and go on :)

Mr. Domino
May 7, 2006, 9:35 am
 Quote:Originally posted by xtisherebCamping is okay, as long it does not involve spawns.

This is how I feel, at least for repetitive spawn campers. There are those times when you breach the enemy's base and there's no flag or soldiers present, and the best thing to do would be to camp in position for a quick steal (I'm looking at you, Equinox).

Flag camping is annoying but a justified tactic easily dealt with via grenades, spray, picking off from afar with your own barret, or rushing in with a group. The only thing that really bothers me weapon-tactic-wise is minisurfing. Sure, the propulsion speed has been somewhat nerfed, but the push-back from the spray coupled with the lag/slowdown still make it more difficult than it should be to pursue and kill in time to stop the score.

sniping_dreamer
May 7, 2006, 11:27 pm
I think camping is allright,as long as it is used liberally. If you camp in the middle of the stage or your base in team-based games,I think that should be fine. However,SPAWN CAMPING should be prompted by a kick/ban. In DMs and others,camping is alright,since it is still part of the game. But spawn camping=BAD