( search forums )
ctf_Moles
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
David S7
April 20, 2006, 9:48 pm
My first map published. Please tell good comments to improve it!

[IMAGE]

Please tell me if it's missing any files such as scenery-gfx and that stuff.

Click here to go to the download page. It's weird it wont' let me put the URL to download directly.

Deleted User
April 20, 2006, 10:12 pm
your download is missing something..it doesnt give us the map, only links back here!
It looks interesting, shading (or lack thereof) could be utilized, but i like the look of it, but, no colliders?!?!?

David S7
April 20, 2006, 10:43 pm
It's weird it wont let me put the URL directly to download.
I put the download page.

Please tell me tips people on how to improve my map/map making.

Eagles_Arrows
April 20, 2006, 11:44 pm
You need to shade your maps. The layout is fine, but the map (in all) looks so dull in the overview. And uhh, sandbags and crates are quite common in many Soldat maps, so use those as well as colliders.

317 polys??? Try adding more; make your maps less... blocky.

David S7
April 20, 2006, 11:54 pm
I added a few colliders.
Hey guys, I remind this is my first map :( .

Next time I'll do better, knowing what to add :) .

divix
April 21, 2006, 3:58 pm
three words:
wow!!!!
nice!!!!
good!!!!

Mothafix
April 21, 2006, 6:14 pm
Map must be always shaded.
Could maybe do some strethin'
Scenery doesn't fit to background.

Pr0digy
April 21, 2006, 6:42 pm
Also, the alpha team clearly has a bigger advantage over the bravo team, this map would probably be better if it was a DM/HTF map instead of ctf. The layout is more of a DM to me.

David S7
April 21, 2006, 8:18 pm
I'll leave it like that for now ;).
When I make another maps, I'll do the stuff you have told me guys.
About the shading, I don't really know what or where to put.

Raptor
April 21, 2006, 11:00 pm
Shade it, would look much, much betteh!

David S7
April 22, 2006, 12:57 am
But, how 2 shade? LOL! :S

Eagles_Arrows
April 22, 2006, 1:04 am
Shading Roxxors your Soxxors.

The Geologist
April 22, 2006, 1:23 am
 Quote:Originally posted by divixthree words:
wow!!!!
nice!!!!
good!!!!

No! Don't just give people useless support without offering and suggestions, these types of comments are worthless.

So you've decided to start mapping...good job! From what I can see you have the basics under your belt in terms of layout. But if you want to start wowing people, you need to begin experimenting and figuring out how to really use the mapping programs. For example:
1) Shading: Your map is one color, all the polys the same. You're give three vertices for a reason...use them! You can color each one to create the appearence of shading and a light source. Think of where you want the light coming from, and then think of where that light hits...those areas are lighter colored than areas without light, which are darker.
2)Colors: This kinda goes with shading, but add some color in there...helps create a more realistic map, because land isn't just one color.
3)Focus gameplay: Big maps with lots of open space can kill a good game. Focus the gameplay...if people end up roaming around maps aimlessly it just sucks for everyone.
4)Background colors: Even if it is meant to be a night themed map, look at your background...stark black does little to help the visual appeal of your map here. Try experimenting blends of colors and fading from one color into another.

These are just some basics...getting better takes time, so keep practicing and making new maps.

g-force9
April 22, 2006, 3:25 am
Like the others, you need to shade. It will make you map look better. The layout is nice though. And you need to change your background colors, it will help.

David S7
April 23, 2006, 2:38 am
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice! Next map I'll make will be smaller, with shades, etc.