( search forums )
Polygons That Are Transparent
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Pr0digy
April 22, 2006, 5:35 am
I am currently making a map right now, and i want to overlap a polygon with another one so i can make the shading much neater for certain areas, and i wanted to know if there was any way to make it so the the polygons are transparent (the ones i am creating to overlap the main polygon, the one not shaded) and so therefore can only be used for shading? (using polyworks i might add)

thanks,

Pr0d!gy

peemonkey
April 22, 2006, 5:46 am
Try to explain it a little bit better, it's a tad hard to understand.
There's no way of making transparent polygons, but if it helps, you can change the order they appear in with polyworks by moving them up up a level or down a level.
With a clearer description I can probably help you better.

Pr0digy
April 22, 2006, 6:12 am
Here i made a screen shot of the map i have so far (first map btw hope it comes out well, im going for a ctf_Ash kind of layout but bigger), and i drew what im trying to do.: [IMAGE]

peemonkey
April 22, 2006, 6:51 am
How will making it transparent make it so you can change the lighting?

Pr0digy
April 22, 2006, 6:54 am
the whole map was started in a darker, more shaded white, i didnt start the map with white polygons, so if i were to take the polygon vertical color changer, set it to fully white, it would make the verticles i choose lighter, therefore solving my problem. But, since i have a mutli textured texture, i used the duplicate command to make alot of what you saw there.

peemonkey
April 22, 2006, 7:53 am
You can change the color of the polygons after you've made them...I think I'm just not understanding well...Need sleep :P

Pr0digy
April 22, 2006, 8:33 am
Yes, thats what you would usually do, but i made most of the polygons square shaped, look at the picture, then look at the verticle lines. If i try to change the color of them verticles it will look sloppy. And i just cant make poly's over the square looking ones because of the multi textured texture im using. What i may need to do is make smaller polygons individually like i did with the bigger square ones (ive been looking at the full texture in a 32 by 4 (with grid on) section, then working off that to make poly's of which colors i want)

This may sound really confusing but somone who uses polyworks alot might understand this like i do.

rabidhamster
April 22, 2006, 4:44 pm
Solution: Lay out your polygons better.

Pr0digy
April 22, 2006, 5:18 pm
I think there is also a command that lets you split verticles, if i use that i might be able to get some better shading done. Ill play with it and show you a be4 and after picture of what u saw in my recent post.