( search forums )
CTF-These Rocks v1.3 & DM-Warzone v1.1
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
RatBoy
April 26, 2006, 1:56 am
Hi there, I'm new around here but not to Soldat. I've played it a lot when 1.0.5b version first appeared. But this forum section isn't for detailing my poor life.

I think Rocks was my first map. I started it in the previously mentioned version, and fixed a lot since then to what it is now, the final version (I hope) of my map.

I know, there are lots of better maps around here, and I could have improved the looks of it to the likes of the last ones I've seen (Ex: Seaworld, WinterSpirit...) but I wanted to keep the original feeling of it.

CTF-These Rocks:
In-Game Screen #2 - [URL="http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1056/screenshot035qj.jpg">In-Game Screen #3

Download!: [URL]

As for Warzone, I also started it on the 1.0.5b version, and worked some more on it, and it looks just like I wanted it to look, the whole thing you wouldn't believe how much has changed since the first attempt. Now I deliver it to you, hoping you like it.

DM-Warzone:
In-Game Screen #2 - [URL="http://img188.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot031xz.jpg">In-Game Screen #3

Download!: [URL]

Please, I want all the feedback you can give me, especially if it says "your map is crap...BECAUSE blah blah blah". If you're gonna say it's wrong, tell me why ;)

Hope you enjoy it.

rabidhamster
April 26, 2006, 2:24 am
Wouldn't it be good if they said "your map is crap...BECAUSE blah blah blah"? They're giving you a reason (even if it is blah blah blah).

Anywho, Rocks has a unique shading style, although gameplay may suffer, due to the long straight routes. *cough* sprayfest *cough*

I really like warzone. Saturated colors are a plus no matter what (even on gloomy maps), although I reccomend this: On sceneries that are supposed to be in the background, instead of making them darker, give them an alpha value of 50 to 75 (whatever you like best).

RatBoy
April 26, 2006, 2:34 am
Actually, that was what I was trying to say, that if you're gonna say it sucks, say WHY. But it's not your fault, I have very sucky english since It's not my born language :P
Sorry for the inconvinience.

As for rocks, what you say makes sense, that's why I've added two more tunnels on the side of each base. But your opinion is noted if I make another version of it, now I'm focusing on other maps and specially other engines :P.

The alpha value thing, I'll definitively try it out. Thanks for the nice feedback! ^^

David S7
April 26, 2006, 5:19 am
I like them, but you should've made 2 different threads :P .
What I didn't liked of CTF-These Rocks is that it doesn't have enough sceney-gfx. Well, I can't tell you that, because I haven't played it.
It still looks fun.
Good job for both dude :) .

HellHound
April 28, 2006, 2:23 am
I really like DM-Warzone, its got good shading and a nice layout for quick kills but i dont like the red in the background its just kindof strange. I recommend making it look like dirt like on the bottom.

zaraza
April 28, 2006, 11:05 pm
The color of background on both maps looks terible. Change it.

I like CTF-These Rocks very much. It looks like the gameplay is good but like rabidhamster said, the bottom route is to simple. In overall i give it 7 of 10

I won't comment the DM map because i don't play deathmatch (but from ss's it looks well)