[DM] Moonlit Cliff (first map attempt)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
carnageX
April 27, 2006, 12:23 am
Moonlit Cliff
{Yeah, I'm not very good at making names up either XD}

Preview: http://i3.tinypic.com/wjjk74.jpg

Download: [URL]

Well, this is my first attempt at a map with Soldat Polyworks. I'll probably get the hang of it if I keep at it, but yeah, this is my first go at it. Also, the map doesn't work to well with bots, because I have basically no idea on how to use waypoints =\. I'm sure I'll get the hang of that sooner or later though, also. It's a relatively small map, because I'm not to sure on the dimensions of the maps, so you'll have to excuse me on that, as well.

Well, what do you all think? Good or bad for a first-timer? Constructive criticism is appreciated, thanks =).

Deleted User
April 27, 2006, 12:38 am
For a first map, it's really good. My first map had a complete paucity of shading, and a pretty bad layout. This map has some nice shading, although lacking in some areas. The moon is a nice touch, and the gameplay is actually pretty fun. It's a great one-on-one map, and me and my friend had some fun playing realistic one-on-one (i got him good hiding in those little caves.) Altogether, this map is a great first attempt, and could use shading on the outer ring surrounding the level.

carnageX
April 27, 2006, 12:46 am
Thanks =). I didn't really think I should add shading on the outside because, well, you wouldn't really be paying attention to the outside, but I'll shade the outside of it, and see how it looks =).

Heh, yeah, those cave-areas are kinda death traps, lol. But I have most of the power-ups spawn there, so if you're lucky (and fast) you may be able to get them =P.

Thanks for the criticism, BTW, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can make some other ones, and hopefully they'll be a lot better.

Eagles_Arrows
April 27, 2006, 1:01 am
Hey, your shading style is excellent. You seem to have a little bit of "Chakapoko Maker" in you.

Yes, if I were the creator of this map, I would apply shading on the surrounding polys as well, for better looks. And lol @ the upside-down tree; that's a good usage for it, though.

You can also use multiple clouds at various opacities for a better midnight-ish look.

The layout is much too simple, sorry. There's lots of open space and can encourage spamming and spraying. Keep working on your layouts - even sketch one if possible. You'll be a great mapper in no time.

carnageX
April 27, 2006, 1:10 am
Thanks.... and I hate to ask, but what's "Chakapoko Maker"? lol... Yeah, if you can't tell... I'm kinda new to Soldat map-making =P.

What do you suggest I should do for the clouds? I'm not really familiar on how to make them different opacities =\.

And, yeah, I know the layout is simple. I may work on that, and try to move things around, and maybe add a few more little platforms.

Oh, and BTW, it's not an upside-down tree =P. They're supposed to be roots, but it kinda does look like a tree XD.

Eagles_Arrows
April 27, 2006, 1:31 am
Oh, really? It is? DURR!!!

Chakapoko Maker was a legendary mapper long long ago. Some of his maps were made official by MM himself, some including CTF_Ash, CTF_Afghanistan, and Blox

mar77a
April 27, 2006, 2:00 am
And inf_Rise is the best map ever.

I like the shading style also, but you should use different colors in polygons, add scenery and shade the map boundaries also.

carnageX
April 27, 2006, 3:22 am
Thanks for the pointers =).

Ok... I edited the map a bit by:

Shading the boundary
Taking away opacity to the clouds
And added another little platform near the top of the map.

Thanks for comments guys. Also... mar77a, what do you mean by the different colors in boundaries? You'll have to explain this to me.. as this is my first time using any Soldat map editor =\.

Deleted User
April 27, 2006, 10:50 pm
Okay, with the new platform and shading, this map is even better. Great job.

carnageX
April 27, 2006, 10:56 pm
Thanks a lot =). I may make another one (when I have the time) so watch for it, I'll try to improve upon the layout on it.

Also.... how are people getting text links in their sigs? I've tried UBBC, and HTML, and neither works, so I'm not sure on how to do it (if it's possible for non-ranking members).

rabidhamster
April 27, 2006, 11:46 pm
text here [IMAGE]

Soldatforums code is a bit odd.

Edit: That is the best shading I've seen since chakapoko and MM himself.

carnageX
April 27, 2006, 11:55 pm
Ah.. Ok. Yar... Soldat Forum UBBC is odd... never had to use the quotations before =\.

Really? The shading's that good? Thanks a lot =). Hopefully I can make more maps with just as good use of shading, and better layout =).

Cookie.
April 28, 2006, 1:00 am
I think the shading on the platforms is better than Chakapokos, but the style is a bit different anyways. Overall the map is nice but the layout needs to be worked on its just too open, at least for me

carnageX
April 28, 2006, 1:15 am
Thanks Cookie =).

Yeah, I'll be sure to work on layouts on my next map, since I think this map (Moonlit Cliff) is a pretty good attempt for my first try, so I'll just leave it be. But thanks for the comment, and hopefully I can continue being good, so I can get relatively close to Chakapoko and MM.... And maybe I'll even learn how to Waypoint my maps better.... lol.

The Geologist
April 28, 2006, 1:26 am
Wow...I gotta say, your shading technique rocks. Expand and practice with it, a good start like this can only get better...different hues will help lend themselves to some awesome shading techniques that can hide some of those sharp, contrasting lines to an extent. Aside from that, many of the basics have been mentioned...work on layout (good for a DM map, perhaps a bit open), and colors! Even moonlit areas have moonlit colors ^_^

Great first attempt, I look forward to seeing more of your maps.

Eagles_Arrows
April 28, 2006, 1:39 am
The newest version is better. Keep that shading style, ya hear!?

carnageX
April 28, 2006, 2:36 am
 Quote:Wow...I gotta say, your shading technique rocks. Expand and practice with it, a good start like this can only get better...different hues will help lend themselves to some awesome shading techniques that can hide some of those sharp, contrasting lines to an extent. Aside from that, many of the basics have been mentioned...work on layout (good for a DM map, perhaps a bit open), and colors! Even moonlit areas have moonlit colors ^_^

Yeah, I'll be sure to practice around, I'll try to mess around with it too, make some practice maps maybe, and dink around, trying to figure out all the tools of Polyworks.

Quote:The newest version is better. Keep that shading style, ya hear!?
Lol, will do *salute* =P.

Thanks both of you, I'll try to work on the things you've mentioned, and hopefully I will expand, and make some uber-awesome maps (or even ones that get good comments like this one would suffice XD). Anyway, thanks for the comments, ^_^.

Cookie.
April 29, 2006, 12:07 am
 Quote:Originally posted by The GeologistWow...I gotta say, your shading technique rocks. Expand and practice with it, a good start like this can only get better...different hues will help lend themselves to some awesome shading techniques that can hide some of those sharp, contrasting lines to an extent. Aside from that, many of the basics have been mentioned...work on layout (good for a DM map, perhaps a bit open), and colors! Even moonlit areas have moonlit colors ^_^

But the sharpp contrasting lines are what I love :(

The Geologist
April 29, 2006, 12:11 am
I said to an extent :( Maybe I should have explained that part better...contrast can be really good sometimes, but sometimes a good blending is in order. Just suggesting he practice with both sides of the issue, y'know?

a-4-year-old
April 29, 2006, 12:32 am
that is a fantastic first map.

you must have really thought through the placement of the polygons, many floating things to prevent spraying, and even layout.

well done.

carnageX
April 29, 2006, 2:43 am
Actually, I just kinda threw things together, LOL. It could be because of my previous game-making experience, however. I have made several games on GameMaker (a freeware gamemaking program), and maybe that took part in making this map a success XD.

Anyway, thanks a lot =). Glad to hear that it's a good map ^_^.