( search forums )
New Forums - Operation Bum Weasel
Soldat Forums - Official Announcements - Official News
FliesLikeABrick
April 27, 2006, 11:46 pm
Current status: The new server is in a truck on the way to my hosts. They should have it in 4-5 days

You guys may have seen mentions of Operation Bum Weasel, and here is the final information:

As you all are aware, the current forums are falling apart: they're slow, unreliable, the poll threads just stopped working on us the other day, and there are many more things which I could go on and on about.

This is why, about a month ago, the forum administrators and MM himself decided that it would be a good idea to create new forums.

We cannot take the posts or user database with us, here is why: The forums are a crazy twist of versions from various admins over the years moving stuff around and adding features to the forums. Because of this, none of the conversion scripts (to convert between different forum systems) works on this database. I have tried multiple ones, they always fail because there is the wrong number of columns, a table doesn't exist etc etc.

In addition to that, the current forums run on a Microsoft database platform, which means that is yet another conversion that has to be done before any mysql database conversion can be done.

For above reasons, we are starting over with new forums, with no posts or users carried over.

The new forums are SMF - Simple Machines Forums. I've worked with these a couple times over the past couple years, and after someone else reccomended we use these, I agreed and gained the support of others.

These forums are php/mysql based, on a server that runs very few other things (as opposed to this very cheap shared hosting, which we all know is slow).

The new host is me, on one of my servers that I own and operate out of Chicago, Illinois in the US.

The forums should be open within the next week or two. The link will be posted here.

The current forums should be available for a month or two, for reference to old posts and information here that should be brought over to the new ones. I cannot guarantee anything about this right now.

For any of you who are familiar with SMF, or curious:
the forums have been heavily modded by Elephant Hunter, with an entirely new icon set by Evil-Ville with help from a couple people here and there. They're really nice, MM was impressed ;)

As the time comes closer to moving over and when I post the link, I will outline some information for you guys about new policies, and rules related to the move itself.

Please ask any questions or voice concerns/suggestions here. I will answer anything you ask, with help from the other moderators/admins as needed.

READ ALL POSTS BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS. If you ask a question that has already been answered, I'm going to just ignore it.
--
Edit: since none of the poll threads are working, I cannot show you guys the results of the poll that Chakra made a while back, asking what you would think of a new forum from scratch, with all posts left behind

--
edit: update

Here's the latest:

The new forums will be up in 1 to 2 weeks, because I made a decision to buy a new server to replace the one I was going to use originally. I just ordered it, it will arrive sometime this week. I should have it shipped out to the datacenter by next week.

Specs:
Dual 2.8ghz Opterons, 64 bit (Opteron 254)
2x73gb 10,000 RPM SCSI drives
3x36gb 10,000 RPM SCSI drives
2x20gb 10,000 RPM SCSI drives
4GB DDR400 RAM

based on this barebones system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856152007

For anyone who cares, I spent just under $4,000 on it ;)

This will make the forums even faster than they were on the server while we were building them.

Q&A:
Q: Will the maps section be more, um, organized? Ex. will there be a poly crap section, a so-so section, and a sexy map section?
A: We are trying to make improvements to how the mapping sections are handled, but no changes have been made or decided upon yet.

Q: I only hope no one takes my nickname.
A: Anyone who takes another person's nickname will severely regret doing so

Q: Gonna have some sort of user rating system in there?
A: May have both, either of none of: post count, forum karma

Q: Is the url going to be http://www.soldatforums.com/ ?
A: Yes. There will be a time (probably the first month) that these forums will have this address, and the new forums will have a temporary address. After that time, these forums will be gone and the new forums will have this address.

Q: Are the new forums going to be hosted on windows or linux?
A: Linux

Q: Will the bash pit be here?
A: No, bash pit will be gone. Anything worthwhile will be in the lounge.

Q: Will the forum mainpage be back?
A: Some day

Q: Will ranks be around?
A: Yep.

Q: Will the contents of these forums be archived somewhere?
A: Hopefully, though it may not be available right away

Q: Same signature/avatar rules?
A: Yes. These aren't forum-specific, they're just general courtesy rules to help people with slower connections, or those people who are only allowed to download a certain mount per month

Q: Same moderators?
A: Yes.

Q: What about banned people, will they still be banned?
A: No, everyone gets a fresh start unless they come back and do something stupid.

Q: Will forum names be unicode-capable?
A: I believe so.

Q: sweet.
A: Yes.

Q: Will the forum have attachments?
A: Yes, attachments are allowed on the new forums. I've got the server ready to handle a lot of attachments, that way they can stay hosted for a long time

Q: Will it have an active topics one?
A: Yes, Elephant Hunter made one for it

Q: When are they coming?
A: When my luck stops being bad. I'm done trying to put dates on it since a new problem comes up every time I make a new estimate

Q: This sucks because of <...>
A: Wait and see the new forums before complaining about anything. You guys do this with every new Soldat version before it even comes out. Just have some patience.

rabidhamster
April 27, 2006, 11:53 pm
Hooray!
I'm that happy.

Edit: Will the maps section be more, um, organized? Ex. will there be a poly crap section, a so-so section, and a sexy map section?

Tha Doggfather
April 28, 2006, 12:00 am
Most of the current forum sections have just been copied over, some have been omitted. There might be changes to that though.

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2006, 12:01 am
We are trying to make improvements to how the mapping sections are handled, but no changes have been made or decided upon yet.

mar77a
April 28, 2006, 12:01 am
Well, im sorry for this but it had to happend once. I only hope no one takes my nickname. :)

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2006, 12:04 am
Anyone who takes another person's nickname will severely regret doing so

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 12:24 am
Um... yay? Pitty about the thread loss though... Gonna have some sort of user rating system in there?

Tha Doggfather
April 28, 2006, 12:26 am
There's (going to be) a karma system I think, all sorts of mods can be installed to serve that purpose really.

?
April 28, 2006, 12:31 am
Just hope it supports unicode or my name is screwd :(

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 1:18 am
I highly doubt anybody will have enough bad taste to take my nickname

Eagles_Arrows
April 28, 2006, 1:24 am
 Quote:Originally posted by rabidhamsterHooray!
Oh, I hope they support spaces in nicknames!

peemonkey
April 28, 2006, 1:56 am
Sounds good. Fresh house, fresh IP, fresh forums.

m00`
April 28, 2006, 2:02 am
I like it as long as it has a lot more features than this =D

The Geologist
April 28, 2006, 2:04 am
A good reason for me to repost all my maps with fresh links :D

bja888
April 28, 2006, 2:06 am
 Quote:Originally posted by ?Just hope it supports unicode or my name is screwd :(

No.
 Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_ArrowsOh, I hope they support spaces in nicknames!

and no.

Both of those are security risks and any self respecting forum will block those.

As for the database conversions. There is a good chance I can do it. Just give me the specifications of the current one and the new. I'll use an xml to convert the data base from MS to MY (SQLs).

As for u13 hosting the forums.... Cool.

mar77a
April 28, 2006, 2:14 am
^ The DB is too messed up anyways, so no one really wants to convert it.

_Mancer_
April 28, 2006, 2:18 am
hurray

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 2:19 am
All sounds good, but I have a few questions.

1) Is the url going to be http://www.soldatforums.com/ ?
2) Are the new forums going to be hosted on windows or linux?

bja888
April 28, 2006, 2:22 am
If you have ever talked to flab then you would have no doubt it was gonna be Linux.

Edit:
 Quote: ^ The DB is too messed up anyways, so no one really wants to convert it.
If it works... it you can this forum then the data types are valid. If the data types are valid then they can be converted. Worst comes to worst, I can parse strings, and there was a point time when I didn't use data types and just manipulated strings.

Elephant_Hunter
April 28, 2006, 2:24 am
 Quote:Originally posted by jrgpAll sounds good, but I have a few questions.

1) Is the url going to be http://www.soldatforums.com/ ?
2) Are the new forums going to be hosted on windows or linux?

1) Yes, as far as I know :)
2) Linux

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2006, 2:55 am
yes, it will be www.soldatforums.com

yes it is linux

We've already made the decision not to convert the database. I have considered writing a script, but 1) there are tons of fields and tons of tables, it would take far longer than we want 2) the 2 forum systems use different password encryption 3) We've made these decisions, writing a script to convert it, even if we could, would take at least a coupel weeks, whereas right now we plan to have the new forums open to the public next week

edit: also, it takes hours to get a copy of the database from this host and convert it to mysql. This would mean that the forums would have to be down for the time it takes to get the database snapshot, convert it, then run the script and get everything set up, in addition to all of the reasons listed above.

peemonkey
April 28, 2006, 3:22 am
As I know nothing of anything in the manner of web-building/hosting, I have no idea what's feasible in anything. All I wish to know is:
whether or not the mainpage will return,
if the lounge/bashpit will return, and if so, stay sperate
if ranks will be around for some apparent reason
Are we sure there's no way to get people who want to, to run whatever scripts possible to get user data transferred?

It's good to see how much this community helps itself and eachother out...it's one of the only things like it on the interwebbing.

huzzah for all!

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 3:24 am
I hope you atleast keep the database of these forums stored and viewable somewhere.

bja888
April 28, 2006, 3:28 am
Ah, the database problem is time, not ability. Alright.

Re-design?? Contest maybe?

N1nj@
April 28, 2006, 3:42 am
yay finally i can use Spyder as my username, although its sad to see this forum goes. I've been visiting this forum for like 4 whole years. All the best to the new forum and hopes everything goes smoothly as planned.

btw, great jobs guys!

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2006, 4:23 am
to address pemonkey's concerns:
1) I intend to bring the mainpage back sometime
2) the lounge is there, anything worthwhile from the bash pit will go in the lounge. the bash pit no longer exists
3) ranks will be there
4) we're not taking user data, we can't (different password encryption)

poop:
1) these forums will be online for a while, but there is no point to paying for the hosting for these for a long time. I will look into long term solutions for archiving them once we have moved. If all else fails, I can write scripts to archive them and store all the threads, but not in a forum fashion (but a searchable, viewable thing that would work better than these forums do now

bja888:
3) it is also a matter of ability because of the password encryption being different.

peemonkey
April 28, 2006, 4:35 am
Rock on Brick (no more affectionate P for you :D)

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 4:51 am
I think this will be very nice if done correctly, please don't make the backround colors light at all, all those forums with white and lighter backrounds kill my eyes >_< Btw, do sig and avi rules stay the same, I would love to be able to have an animated sig

UGK
April 28, 2006, 4:57 am
Sweetness. I call UGK!

shoover
April 28, 2006, 4:58 am
so the post counts will delete?

never mind, anyways, i think this is a great idea. New techonology, and a linux server might be good.

peemonkey
April 28, 2006, 6:01 am
I agree with sie field marshal, keep it dark calm, but not black or too dark...these forums are relaxed :D

m00`
April 28, 2006, 6:12 am
I dont tunk post count should be available, that would definately keep spammers away, also will we have the same moderators?

edak
April 28, 2006, 7:12 am
Great to hear, I dont mind my posts disappearing into the ether, but I will copy some of my posts to re-post on the new forum.

vash763
April 28, 2006, 7:14 am
I'm glad to see that we will be having new forums.

I'll finally get Atomic Hype.

KamikazeDuck
April 28, 2006, 7:33 am
Make the new forums simple and like others have said, make them dark or even better, have the option to choose the bg colour (like gamespot, but with more colours to choose from).

I don't care about my post count, I'm only on 30 or 40, plus, it's not like you should be proud that you've spent so much time (or just spammed a heap) on these forums.

This is just an idea...
Okay, I think the mapping section should be a little different to the other parts of the forums; when you start a topic, it should come up with a thing that has all lable things on it that you fill out, like this:
-----------------------------------
Map Name:
Waypoints:
Size:
Description:
Additional Information:
Screenshots:
Download:
--------------------------
Maybe not in that order, but I think it would help stop new forumers from just posting the download link or saying something stupid like, "i maid map it not hear". I think SML has this system, I can't be sure. It would still be a normal forum, but the thread creater would have that thing to fill out as their first post.

Yeah.

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 7:56 am
You could just reset everyones passwords FLAB... Like what most forums do when they upgrade/get haxxed. DB's probably too big I guess.

bja888
April 28, 2006, 8:41 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick
bja888:
3) it is also a matter of ability because of the password encryption being different.

One way encryption. Simple and effective.... unless you ever need to know someones password.

Beren
April 28, 2006, 8:44 am
You know what this means? Someone will have to have the last post in the "have the last post" thread! Or did they allready lock that...Anyway, new forums sounds exciting, though I definitely don't understand everything about them. How will the operating system it's hosted on have an effect on how it works for me? Are all the moderators here going to transfer over?

frogboy
April 28, 2006, 8:50 am
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888
One way encryption. Simple and effective.... unless you ever need to know someones password.

The two forums use different methods to encrypt the password in the first place. You can't change the encryption used if you don't know what the encrypted string is.

peemonkey
April 28, 2006, 8:52 am
There's too many inactive accounts to transfer over, alot of accounts have little to no posts, and none being recent.
Some requested features to hang on to the past with:
"Formerly known as:" under the name in small print so we know who was who in the old days(present time)
"Joined in" transfer-over (Instead of post count, we have joined-by date to enhance our epenis')
A flamethrower in every home...zombies...you know...yea.

Just requests from an elitest [CENSORED].

Which reminds me, do we really need a swear filter?

(yes)

frogboy
April 28, 2006, 8:59 am
Yeah, I was going to suggest that Joined date transfer-over but kinda forgot. Shouldn't be hard to do.

And is there a warning system on the new forums?

MOFO NOFO
April 28, 2006, 9:13 am
Finally, i can type ny name with less caps :X

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 9:25 am
The current login system isnt case sensitive ya know mofo...

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2006, 9:31 am
alright, to address some of the questions recently asked:

1) it is too late in our progress with the new forums to add "carry over" features, such as: "formerly known as" "real joined date" "carried over post count" etc etc.
2) yes the moderators will be the same
3) yes the new forums will have a warning system one written custom by me. It will get more features as time goes on
4) I'm tired of giving reasons why we're not carrying everything over. Don't ask anymore
5) I think that was it.

edit:
6) the operating system matters because the performance will me more consistent, not having half the pageloads be fast and half be slow, they will all be the same fast performance and the server is far less likely to crash or bog down under heavy traffic

7) post counts will still be on the new forums, but I think if everyone takes up the opinion that post counts are stupid or don't mean much, people will care less about them.

MOFO NOFO
April 28, 2006, 10:09 am
Enesce: Nah, i just dont like the caps in my n ame, considering my game name only contains 2 caps.

rabidhamster
April 28, 2006, 11:14 am
 Quote:Originally posted by BerenYou know what this means? Someone will have to have the last post in the "have the last post" thread! Or did they allready lock that...Anyway, new forums sounds exciting, though I definitely don't understand everything about them. How will the operating system it's hosted on have an effect on how it works for me? Are all the moderators here going to transfer over?

I believe that thread was deleted ages ago to help increase forum space.

Tha Doggfather
April 28, 2006, 12:34 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by peemonkey
Some requested features to hang on to the past with:
"Formerly known as:" under the name in small print so we know who was who in the old days(present time)

You can add a line of text under your avatar, this would be a nice place to put your former nick (just for the first month or so). Its normal function is an avatar underscript I think, your location is displayed in your public profile.

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 1:02 pm
Thats Sounds good i wanna btw new nickname :P!

m00`
April 28, 2006, 1:59 pm
flies how about the banned ips on this forum? will they be re-banned?

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2006, 2:12 pm
only if they come back and do something stupid. This is a clean start for everything

Tha Doggfather
April 28, 2006, 4:42 pm
The rules regarding signatures and avatars (as well as most other rules) will be the same.

Keron Cyst
April 28, 2006, 6:16 pm
Don't you dare activate the Karma system!! :-o It'll get heavily abused.

And I knew this is what OBW was. There's no way it could've been anything else, heh.

Soulsnipa
April 28, 2006, 6:26 pm
what about tutorials and stuff that are on here....i still need those.

GluLm
April 28, 2006, 6:46 pm
I hope you'll actually save the database somewhere though... It's a real shame to have to start from scrach already, but as long as the old database is still safe and searchable somewhere, I'm fine with it.
Also I hope the new forums have the same colour schemes as this one. :<

April 28, 2006, 7:07 pm
So we'll lose our joining dates?
This makes me sad.

Tha Doggfather
April 28, 2006, 7:08 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipawhat about tutorials and stuff that are on here....i still need those.

Guides, FAQs, stickies and other important threads have been transferred already.

3rd_account
April 28, 2006, 8:43 pm
Would anyone dare taking on the task to manually search through all the mods and collect the ones that are of such quality that they would be missed?

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 9:17 pm
I think the authors can do that, I'll be saving all my own stuff to a textpad and then reposting it on the new forum

blackdevil0742
April 28, 2006, 9:54 pm
Great to hear that you're starting fresh. But I guess this means that my time here at the forum is over. My goal was to reach 1000 posts before I left but I wont make it so I'll just leave now. I've had a great time here and thanks for everything. My last post ;(

Bye,I'll miss ya!

livingdalife
April 28, 2006, 10:21 pm
well, I've been thinking that this might happen ever since the last SoldatForums Meltdown...Good on you FLAB, You've done a [CENSORED] load of stuff for this little community of ours...

Post counting is not needed, but a *Date Joined* would be good. And that map uploading idea is a bloody good idea. I really think we should be allowed to have slightly bigger sigs (bigger in file size) and allow them to be animated. Can't wait for the new site :)

mar77a
April 28, 2006, 10:35 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by blackdevil0742Great to hear that you're starting fresh. But I guess this means that my time here at the forum is over. My goal was to reach 1000 posts before I left but I wont make it so I'll just leave now. I've had a great time here and thanks for everything. My last post ;(

Bye,I'll miss ya!

bye... :((

Deleted User
April 28, 2006, 10:38 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by blackdevil0742Great to hear that you're starting fresh. But I guess this means that my time here at the forum is over. My goal was to reach 1000 posts before I left but I wont make it so I'll just leave now. I've had a great time here and thanks for everything. My last post ;(

Bye,I'll miss ya!

=[

rabidhamster
April 28, 2006, 11:05 pm

Bye,I'll miss ya!

NOES! Your one of the only people that uses my glowy ball avatars!

Plus you're one of the smarter ones here.

Banksey
April 28, 2006, 11:27 pm
Well im quite happy with this and all the questions i was gona ask are all answered except for one, if these forums are staying open a while, and the new ones are opening sometime nxt week, how are ye gona have www.soldatforums.com

wormdundee
April 28, 2006, 11:39 pm
Haha, obviously the forums do need an update.
Ironically enough, while I was trying to get to page 3 in this thread, the forums locked up.

As for the joined date, it would be nice if there was somehow a way to keep that "officially", just for history's sake. But since it seems its not possible, you peoples could just keep it yourself. I'm sure there would be some place in your profile where you could shove it.

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2006, 11:48 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by BankseyWell im quite happy with this and all the questions i was gona ask are all answered except for one, if these forums are staying open a while, and the new ones are opening sometime nxt week, how are ye gona have www.soldatforums.com

As soon as the new forums open, they will have soldatforums.com and www.soldatforums.com. These [old] forums, if they're still online like this (as opposed to just being accessible through some archive utility I make) will have an address like old.soldatforums.com. I will give this information out as the time draws closer.

a-4-year-old
April 29, 2006, 12:16 am
a chicago server... *ponders* would have liked NY or even better NJ for sweet loading times, but it really doesn't matter, im just glad the server is gonna be in the US and i actually know where the server is ¬_¬

i call ¬_¬ as my new name!

Deleted User
April 29, 2006, 12:29 am
i still don't know how to make those little ¬ things, i have to copy and paste

and thank god for no more bash pit

m00`
April 29, 2006, 1:23 am
A karma system would be good if the karma can only be set by the moderators, if they contribute, their karma will go up and if they do somthing stupid they can put their karma down, at -5 karma they would get banned, if they have +5 karma they are allowed into a special section called heavan or somthing? :p

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2006, 2:23 am
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-olda chicago server... *ponders* would have liked NY or even better NJ for sweet loading times, but it really doesn't matter, im just glad the server is gonna be in the US and i actually know where the server is ¬_¬

Chicago most likely has better loading times than a server located in NY or NJ would. I looked around, and even overseas times from chicago are as fast or faster than NY.

Soulsnipa
April 29, 2006, 2:37 am
i wanted to get 1000 posts too...mother[CENSORED]ers reset me at 900

Soulsnipa
April 29, 2006, 2:38 am
 Quote:Originally posted by m00`A karma system would be good if the karma can only be set by the moderators, if they contribute, their karma will go up and if they do somthing stupid they can put their karma down, at -5 karma they would get banned, if they have +5 karma they are allowed into a special section called heavan or somthing? :p

maybe not banned but restricted access to the bash pit.

frogboy
April 29, 2006, 2:39 am
The Bash Pit's gone as of whenever the new forum opens.

Deleted User
April 29, 2006, 3:45 am
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888 Quote:Originally posted by ?Just hope it supports unicode or my name is screwd :(

No.
 Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_ArrowsOh, I hope they support spaces in nicknames!

and no.

Both of those are security risks and any self respecting forum will block those.

..? What the crap are you on?

SMF supports unicode and spaces in user names. They are USER NAMES, For Christ's sake. Security risks?

frogboy
April 29, 2006, 3:48 am
Someone might put perl in their username and people might run it!

Deleted User
April 29, 2006, 3:52 am
 Quote:Originally posted by frogboySomeone might put perl in their username and people might run it!

Ohh noez, ur haxxing my intarnets!

MOFO NOFO
April 29, 2006, 4:43 am
lal perl

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2006, 4:45 am
k, lets minimize the spam here guys (Frogboy, Lapis, and Mofo .. the last 3 posts right above here)

Deleted User
April 29, 2006, 5:06 am
Making a whole post just to tell people not to spam, kinda is spam. ;)

Custom Soldat'ish skin with changeable logo?

bja888
April 29, 2006, 5:10 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Lapis_Lazuli

..? What the crap are you on?

SMF supports unicode and spaces in user names. They are USER NAMES, For Christ's sake. Security risks?

Fine then... My new user name is going to be "; DROP TABLE members;". Well see how far that goes...

MikeShinoda.pheonix
April 29, 2006, 5:11 am
Wow, this is good news. I just hope the new forums will be a big improvement over these. I'm sure it will be amazing. If I can help in any way, just ask.

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2006, 5:14 am
bja888 anyone who knows anything about coding php or any other language with user interaction knows how to protect against SQL injection attacks

edit: except these forums, I've found SQL injection holes in these forums back before I was admin

.Twelve
April 29, 2006, 5:24 am
Sounds like a plan. I just want to be one of the first few registered and I'm content.

bja888
April 29, 2006, 6:50 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickbja888 anyone who knows anything about coding php or any other language with user interaction knows how to protect against SQL injection attacks

edit: except these forums, I've found SQL injection holes in these forums back before I was admin

Exactly! If they filter for SQL injections they would filter for chars that would cause problems in the code. Like a space...
Therefor, we are back to where we started. Don't count on having a weird user name.

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2006, 6:51 am
... how the hell would a space cause a problem in the code?

frogboy
April 29, 2006, 7:05 am
You ever tried using "&59;" in an SQL statement? I don't think it works quite as well as ";".

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2006, 7:19 am
html entities aren't used to make sql content safer, normal escaping is all that is needed

Elephant_Hunter
April 29, 2006, 7:22 am
This is a rather silly discussion. There's no reason that SMF couldn't just convert problematic characters to an SQL-safe escaped html entity and allow users to still create usernames with them. Then again, what use is a name to the community if nobody can type it?

Edit: Heh, Flies's post wasn't here when I began typing this.

That reminds me... another great advantage of SMF is telling posters that posts have been made since they started creating their message.

GAMEOVER
April 29, 2006, 9:59 am
sweet .

Soulsnipa
April 29, 2006, 11:28 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunter
That reminds me... another great advantage of SMF is telling posters that posts have been made since they started creating their message.

how would you do this in php?

a person only reloads the page once when he hits reply...

SERIAL KILLeR
April 29, 2006, 11:43 am
when you submit it says that there has been made a new reply

Soulsnipa
April 29, 2006, 11:46 am
cool i guess, cant you just go to the end where ur reply has been made and read that...

what would be cool is to make some real time [CENSORED] that updated so if somone made a post it would update ur page without reloading, not sure of what language it would be.

frogboy
April 29, 2006, 12:04 pm
It'd be XMLHttpRequest, Javascript.

Elephant_Hunter
April 29, 2006, 12:13 pm
Assuming the browser is XMLHttpRequest-compatible... If the user was browsing in, say, IE6 then you'd have to enable ActiveX.

Banksey
April 29, 2006, 12:59 pm
Enabling ActiveX is nothing its not like theres a huge code for it, its click click click, unsafe but fast.

thekingkitty
April 29, 2006, 3:14 pm
Yay i get to have kingkitty instead of thekingkitty!yaayy!

okie, uh, theres been alot of panic in the bashpit about it being destroyed and stuff, so theres absolutely no way in hell theres going to be a bashpit? No way in hell? I just want to make sure..

Also i think changing forums is a wonderful thing to do, we pretty much start over from scratch, no one is different in posts, and there will not be (if any) judging people by looking at their silly post count.

I love karma, use it all the time in proboards.

oh and i guess you can rewelcome vig back into the community when this forum comes out :|

a-4-year-old
April 29, 2006, 4:23 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-olda chicago server... *ponders* would have liked NY or even better NJ for sweet loading times, but it really doesn't matter, im just glad the server is gonna be in the US and i actually know where the server is ¬_¬

Chicago most likely has better loading times than a server located in NY or NJ would. I looked around, and even overseas times from chicago are as fast or faster than NY.
well i live in NJ so i would have almost instant stuffs, thats all.

for anyone who wants to know how to make the ¬ thing, just hold alt and press 0172 on the number pad

? is 025222 aswell

Michal Marcinkowski
April 29, 2006, 5:21 pm
Thanks FliesLikeABrick for explaining everything. The new forums are gonna be much better we've got a great team working on them.

David S7
April 29, 2006, 5:51 pm
Cool, new forums.
FliesLikeABrick, I didn't understood what you ment with Simple Machines Forums. Is it a type or something? It's not the new name of the forums, right? I saw that the link will still going to be www.soldatforums.com

Elephant_Hunter
April 29, 2006, 5:58 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by David S7Cool, new forums.
FliesLikeABrick, I didn't understood what you ment with Simple Machines Forums. Is it a type or something? It's not the new name of the forums, right? I saw that the link will still going to be www.soldatforums.com

I figured that I would respond before somebody made a silly remark. Simple Machines Forums is the name of the forum program. A couple examples of similar programs would be phpBB, snitz, vBulletin, and Invision.

Banksey
April 29, 2006, 7:00 pm
LOL, i was gona have a feild day with that one ^^

bja888
April 29, 2006, 7:28 pm
I just skimmed over the replays abd diden't really read them. Are you guys talking about having an AJAX forum?

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2006, 7:57 pm
bja, don't reply if you don't know what is going on.

no we're not talking about an ajax forum

livingdalife
April 29, 2006, 8:17 pm
So how is this coming along, can we expect to be told when your changing the site? It all sounds like fun anyways..so I can't wait ^^

Dark_Noddy
April 29, 2006, 8:23 pm
yay no more stupid underscore in my nick FTW !

I'd have to go with the [CENSORED]ers who allready posted this, it would be nice to have the join date from old forums on new ones, not neccecarily as join dates, maybe a extra "thingie" in the profile ? (set by admins) Maybe only for those > 1 or 2 years ? oh well :D yay anyways

FliesLikeABrick
April 29, 2006, 9:04 pm
We should be moving to the new forums within the next couple days. You'll know it is coming when these forums are locked. It may take up to 1-2 days for the domain to move over, though I doubt it'll be that long for most people.

When you come to these forums some day in the next week and it appears locked/closed, you'll know its coming soon ;)

uFo_Death`
April 30, 2006, 12:22 am
will it have a cool interface?

mar77a
April 30, 2006, 12:52 am
yes, very cool indeed, trust on our mods graphical skills.

Drink Bloody Water
April 30, 2006, 2:16 am
Oh.. my... god... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I like these forums! This better be a great [CENSORED]ing forum or ill snipe one of your asses...

peemonkey
April 30, 2006, 2:17 am
ufo death, your sig is so god damned stupid it's comical. retarded olympics? "your still a retard"? Capitolizing Every Damn Word?

On topic: is there any customizabilityness?

person
April 30, 2006, 3:52 am
 Quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyufo death, your sig is so god damned stupid it's comical. retarded olympics? "your still a retard"? Capitolizing Every Damn Word?

rofl! thats [CENSORED]ing great

livingdalife
April 30, 2006, 4:33 am
Good Work FLAB, Looking Foreward to the change...HEADHUNTER_2006 IS OWNED!!! I OWN THIS NICKNAME IN THE NEXT FORUMS...
Ok enuff of the caps...
I want Headhunter_2006 in the new forums, whoever steals this, will die a very painful virtual death...

Deleted User
April 30, 2006, 5:03 am
 Quote:Originally posted by person Quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyufo death, your sig is so god damned stupid it's comical. retarded olympics? "your still a retard"? Capitolizing Every Damn Word?

rofl! thats [CENSORED]ing great

He also spelt Arguing wrong.

Deleted User
April 30, 2006, 8:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyufo death, your sig is so god damned stupid it's comical. retarded olympics? "your still a retard"? Capitolizing Every Damn Word?

No.

Krillious
April 30, 2006, 10:24 am
What exactly is the Karma system?
And if you host the forums on your host, will it make the servers more laggy?

Tha Doggfather
April 30, 2006, 12:18 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2 Quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyufo death, your sig is so god damned stupid it's comical. retarded olympics? "your still a retard"? Capitolizing Every Damn Word?

No.

There is a limited choice of options to set in your profile, but nothing on how the forum looks (like color layouts or the like).

Taken from the customization menu in the profile page:

This section allows you to customize the look and layout of the forum.
Time Format:
Help The format here will be used to show dates throughout this forum.
Time Offset:
Number of hours to +/- to make displayed time equal to your local time.

Current forum time: 30 April 2006, 07:18:31
Show board descriptions inside boards.
Show child boards on every page inside boards, not just the first.
Don't show other users' avatars.
Don't show other users' signatures.
Return to topics after posting by default.
Show most recent posts at the top.
Show most recent personal messages at top.
First day of the week on the calendar:
Use quick reply on topic display:
Show quick-moderation on message index as

Quote:Originally posted by KrilliousWhat exactly is the Karma system?

A Karma system is something that can reflect how members feel about their fellow members. They can vote positive or negative for him (regarding if they think the member contributes to the forum or is just a spamming nuisance). This will result in a final score, the higher the better. This is how the previous karma system worked here, I'm sure there are other possibilities of measuring, but it basically boils down to the same idea.

MOFO NOFO
April 30, 2006, 12:44 pm
Paramud has my - vote.

Some Damn Idiot
April 30, 2006, 12:50 pm
Good. Are you going to save the version history thread and other random (useful) threads?

Tha Doggfather
April 30, 2006, 1:41 pm
As I've stated before, yes, important (sticky) threads have been copied over.

rabidhamster
April 30, 2006, 2:09 pm
Read the entire thread people.

On topic, I'm glad the time will finally be localized. I hated never being able to figure out the time of someone's post.

GluLm
April 30, 2006, 4:32 pm
 Quote:important (sticky) threads have been copied over.
I don't get why you say stickies are "so important"... To me they're not as important as the whole threads altogether.

Reading all you've wrote, the new SM forums already deceive me somehow. But I hope it's only me! (I still have a little faith)

FliesLikeABrick
April 30, 2006, 5:11 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by KrilliousWhat exactly is the Karma system?

Nope, but if anything did start to effect eachother, this is why I have more servers. I have enough that I could run everything separately, but there's no point to doing that if I can share servers between purposes.

Deleted User
April 30, 2006, 8:21 pm
I wonder, will the background of the posts all have the same color? so we can make a image with that color as background instead of transparize it.

a-4-year-old
April 30, 2006, 8:27 pm
transparencies are still better.

Deleted User
April 30, 2006, 8:58 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by PsychoI wonder, will the background of the posts all have the same color? so we can make a image with that color as background instead of transparize it.

No

FliesLikeABrick
April 30, 2006, 9:19 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldtransparencies are still better.

m00`
April 30, 2006, 11:29 pm
flies what happens if you suddenly die one day, who will look after the servers? :(

Aquarius
May 1, 2006, 12:04 am
This forum is a part of Soldat's history. I only hope it will be archived somehow.

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 1:01 am
 Quote:Originally posted by AquariusThis forum is a part of Soldat's history. I only hope it will be archived somehow.

It will at old.soldatforums.com i believe.

Edit: Yay! I managed to get 50 posts before the new forums!

Eagles_Arrows
May 1, 2006, 1:19 am
can we post maps that are already posted here onto the new forums?

rabidhamster
May 1, 2006, 1:23 am
Course.

FliesLikeABrick
May 1, 2006, 3:28 am
The new forums also have attachments enabled, up to 2 per post with a reasonable attachment size. Ideal for posting maps.

peemonkey
May 1, 2006, 3:39 am
sweetballs!

UGK
May 1, 2006, 4:00 am
Awmehgod I cant wait!

uFo_Death`
May 1, 2006, 11:22 am
With this karma system What if people vote you out becoz they dunt like you,i already know 99.9% wil lvote me out :( but like to my point what if they vote soem one out that done nothing wrong.

FliesLikeABrick
May 1, 2006, 11:41 am
The karma system is not currently enabled, but I will enable it some time in the future.

SERIAL KILLeR
May 1, 2006, 11:45 am
Will it have an active topics page like here?

Soulsnipa
May 1, 2006, 1:14 pm
Geez Flieslikeabrick, this is a big expense. How do you expect to pay for all this? It is sure to use a lot of webspace. [Donations to Flies?]

FliesLikeABrick
May 1, 2006, 1:41 pm
Serial Killer, it may not have one right away, but we plan on making one.

Soulsnipa, no donations necessary ;)

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 2:36 pm
All posts will reset ok i accept that :)!

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 4:21 pm
If you want to donate to someone donate to me! PM for more information!

Keron Cyst
May 1, 2006, 6:59 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickThe karma system is not currently enabled, but I will enable it some time in the future.
WHY?

There is no need for a Karma system. It will only be a source of spam, as people will constantly complain about their karma going into negatives (yes, it's possible with SMFs), and n00bs will (not "might," "will") go through everyone's Karma daily rating random people +1 or -1, which will render Karma unreliable as to how "good or bad" a person is.

Please do not enable it. Karma really is only good for small communities of less than 15 nonmalicious people who know what they're doing when they rate someone's Karma.

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 7:30 pm
You can set karma to be changeable only once a day, a week, a month..

It is not set in stone, and you cannot increase/decrease karma a million times a day.

It is a once in a while deal.

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 8:35 pm
Maybe, to prevent retards setting your karma down for no reason(even if it's once and a while), you could have it so you need a reason to increase/decrease it. For example:

Quote:You have chosen to:
Decrease
"Douchebag's karma"
By -1
Because: (then there would be a bunch of choices and one at the end marked "other" which you can type your reason in)

Good idea?

uFo_Death`
May 1, 2006, 9:14 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SadistAtHeartMaybe, to prevent retards setting your karma down for no reason(even if it's once and a while), you could have it so you need a reason to increase/decrease it. For example:

Quote:You have chosen to:
Decrease
"Douchebag's karma"
By -1
Because: (then there would be a bunch of choices and one at the end marked "other" which you can type your reason in)

Good idea?

Very good idea i quite like it.

Chakra`
May 1, 2006, 9:16 pm
Woah, woah ...relax. Karma can be restricted to users with a set minimum post count, and a set time between changes/votes to one's karma. Don't freak out, we ain't stupid, and we know how stupid stupid people can be.

S'not like we ain't been on these forums ourselves for god knows how many years.

peemonkey
May 1, 2006, 9:17 pm
Active topics page would massivly kick ass, it's what makes soldatforums the most browsable. I mean it's right there and everything.

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 9:46 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Woah, woah ...relax. Karma can be restricted to users with a set minimum post count, and a set time between changes/votes to one's karma. Don't freak out, we ain't stupid, and we know how stupid stupid people can be.

S'not like we ain't been on these forums ourselves for god knows how many years.

It's true

Drink Bloody Water
May 2, 2006, 12:50 am
 Quote:Originally posted by aznbl00dHow about when you get rated through the Karma system, you see who did it and why.

Then you can follow them to their house and kill them.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 2, 2006, 1:22 am
 Quote:Originally posted by aznbl00dHow about when you get rated through the Karma system, you see who did it and why.

I believe that is how most forums' karma systems work. I think everyone will agree that is the best and most obvious way to do things.

FliesLikeABrick
May 2, 2006, 3:45 am
you guys just covered every single reason why I'm not enabling the karma system right now. end of discussion.

UGK
May 2, 2006, 3:46 am
When are the new forums coming?

rabidhamster
May 2, 2006, 3:51 am
In a few days, mmkay?

UGK
May 2, 2006, 4:10 am
Mmmkay.

Keron Cyst
May 2, 2006, 6:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by MikeShinoda.pheonix Quote:Originally posted by aznbl00dHow about when you get rated through the Karma system, you see who did it and why.
I believe that is how most forums' karma systems work. I think everyone will agree that is the best and most obvious way to do things.

Oh, SMF allows that? Huh, I was posting on the assumption that there was nothing like that, because a SMF I regularly attend has no such feature. Carry on, then.

I hope there's a way to disable Karma for yourself personally.

Soulsnipa
May 2, 2006, 10:15 am
this karma system will be awesome cant wait for it to be enabled!!!!!

btw flies, why is sml down for 2 days every week now?

FliesLikeABrick
May 2, 2006, 2:05 pm
soulsnipa: because I'm making the server better. until you pay for a host you're not really allowed to complain about it

Soulsnipa
May 2, 2006, 5:19 pm
im not complaining but i want an answer to tell people if they ask :)

Deleted User
May 3, 2006, 1:02 am
ya we know it soon but how soon is soon...can we expect the new forums in 2 more days?...5 more days?

Banksey
May 3, 2006, 5:12 pm
It'll probally be out by the end of this week, jeez give the ppl some time will you :)

m00`
May 4, 2006, 10:16 am
[7:12pm] <m00`> hay ga's when the forum changing?
[7:13pm]« MilkmanDan` » it isnt
[7:13pm] HEX` (~hex@SuperHEX.users.quakenet.org) is now known as HEX^AFK
[7:15pm] <m00`> what?!
[7:15pm]«@ n00bface» lol did you even check when the topic was made?
[7:15pm]«@ n00bface» it was on chinese fools day ..
[7:16pm]«@ n00bface» as if the name operation bum weasel wasn't a big enough clue

frogboy
May 4, 2006, 10:30 am
They took the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary, m00`.

Drink Bloody Water
May 4, 2006, 11:22 pm
omfg, this couldn't be a joke could it? Cause if it is o_O tell me right now...

mar77a
May 5, 2006, 12:00 am
Of course it's not, check the date of the topic.

peemonkey
May 5, 2006, 12:24 am
Yea, international no-lying day.

vash763
May 5, 2006, 12:28 am
Ahahahahahaha

hey mar77a nice posts

GAMEOVER
May 5, 2006, 7:32 am
After reading all of this and letting it absorb im for everything BUT the karma system please add an option to disable such a childish thing in peoples acct settings.

Elephant_Hunter
May 5, 2006, 8:10 am
I believe that post count is more childish than Karma. At least with karma, people will rate you on your contributions to the community. Enabling a displayed post count just makes people want to spam more often.

GAMEOVER
May 5, 2006, 9:34 am
then in that case take em both away

GluLm
May 5, 2006, 5:24 pm
 Quote:GAMEOVER wrotethen in that case take em both away

That's exactly what I think. It'd be better without all these futile features.

Anna
May 5, 2006, 8:24 pm
How about displaying the member's join date instead of the post count? The post count could be viewed in the profile.

For an example of a good rating system, check out Gamedev's.
You have one rating for other members (1-10) and it's possible to change the rating you've given at any time. Also members with a higher rating have a stronger effect on members they rate. An extra feature is the ability to hide posts made by members with a rating lower than your rating threshold.

Banksey
May 5, 2006, 9:09 pm
i dont think you can post count off, can you???

GluLm
May 5, 2006, 10:18 pm
Displaying the member's join date would be alright, provided we keep our original join date.
Otherwise that'd be nonsense.

Raptor
May 6, 2006, 12:40 am
What will happen to this forum?

Deleted User
May 6, 2006, 12:45 am
 Quote:Originally posted by RaptorWhat will happen to this forum?

It will be archived at old.soldatforums.com i believe.

Raptor
May 6, 2006, 12:51 am
So the new forum will have this URL right?

Keron Cyst
May 6, 2006, 1:33 am
 Quote:Originally posted by RaptorSo the new forum will have this URL right?
I think so. Hopefully.

Deleted User
May 6, 2006, 1:52 am
 Quote:Originally posted by RaptorSo the new forum will have this URL right?

Correct.

FliesLikeABrick
May 7, 2006, 6:47 pm
Here's the latest:

The new forums will be up in 1 to 2 weeks, because I made a decision to buy a new server to replace the one I was going to use originally. I just ordered it, it will arrive sometime this week. I should have it shipped out to the datacenter by next week.

Specs:
Dual 2.8ghz Opterons with HT, 64 bit.
4GB DDR400 RAM

This will make the forums even faster than they were on the server while we were building them.

Koon
May 7, 2006, 9:07 pm
:O Big spender. This is going to be so cool.

livingdalife
May 7, 2006, 11:37 pm
wow, u even bought a server? This man should have a spot in the soldat HALL OF FAME...If there is one. Good to see your hard at work FLAB. Though I really wanna see this forum.......2 weeks? I guess I could wait that long...

rabidhamster
May 7, 2006, 11:52 pm
I thought it was gonna happen on Chakra's 1000th post... oh well.

FliesLikeABrick
May 9, 2006, 3:16 am
Vichjtucrapmynameistoolong hit it just right. Those are most of the reasons I bought the server.

And soulsnipa, I greatly enjoy playing now, I just don't have the time to play much at all.

Vijchtidoodah
May 9, 2006, 3:57 am
Flies, I'm still suprised that, after all this time, you haven't learned to refer to me as simply "Vij" or "Vijch" just like everyone else does, but instead hang on to that overly elaborate perversion of my name which actually takes more time to type than my real nick or an easy copy/paste.

:)

Soulsnipa
May 9, 2006, 4:24 am
Before he manages a forum and works on his coding he should get the basics down and work on not double posting. thats news to me u enjoy playing. and victorydoodah...your name is too long lol.

Deleted User
May 9, 2006, 4:30 am
Vij, i can't pronounce your name. And i've tried. Hard.

$4,000 dollars for a server is a load of money, how the hell did you come up with it all?

vash763
May 9, 2006, 4:44 am
I use Vijcht

Deleted User
May 9, 2006, 7:08 am
I just say 'vick-de-doo-dah'... So, whens this 'afew days' gonna be over?

Elephant_Hunter
May 9, 2006, 7:49 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickThe new forums will be up in 1 to 2 weeks...

Zegovia
May 9, 2006, 10:40 am
Great, i can make a fresh restart with my fan comic, ive been thinking of doing that for some time now... :D

rabidhamster
May 9, 2006, 7:54 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SadistAtHeart$4,000 dollars for a server is a load of money, how the hell did you come up with it all?

If there was any left, he probably used some of the leftover donation money from the U13 charity run. For the other $3.729,96 I have no idea.

Soulsnipa
May 9, 2006, 7:56 pm
u are that bored to calculate the donation money and subtract from 4000?

FliesLikeABrick
May 9, 2006, 9:21 pm
the charity run money was long gone. I will be making ~$6000 this summer at my normal job, and since my parents knew that they were able to loan me $4000 now. I will be paying them back for all of it in about 2-3 months.

GluLm
May 9, 2006, 10:12 pm
6000$!? Who are you flies, really. I usually earn less than 800$ during summer (yet I was able to donate)...
Gah! You better not screw up the new forum and make them feel and look like the current one! >:]

Soulsnipa
May 9, 2006, 10:27 pm
24,000 - 30,000 a year

FliesLikeABrick
May 9, 2006, 10:28 pm
not really... I only work in the summer, and I just got the raise a couple days ago, $14/hour now. I don't even start working for another 2 weeks

Noldi
May 9, 2006, 10:49 pm
Lets all say thank you to flieslikeabrick and give him a round of applause.

Thank You.

* Audience Claps *
* Encore *
:D

UGK
May 9, 2006, 11:28 pm
Man, I can't wait...

Koon
May 10, 2006, 1:18 am
Ill join Noldi in that applause:

*clap! clap! clap!*
*enthusiastic cheering*

Noldi
May 10, 2006, 2:54 am
We love you flieslikeabrick!!! Encore! encore! ENCORE!!!!!

Dark_Noddy
May 10, 2006, 11:35 am
I vote for mandatory IQ test upon registering!! ^^

Btw Flies, love U man !

Banksey
May 10, 2006, 3:47 pm
3 Cheers For FLAB (LOL FLAB) hip hip....hip hip....hip hip...

Soulsnipa
May 10, 2006, 4:27 pm
hooray?

Banksey
May 10, 2006, 6:43 pm
Ya thats whats i was looking for thanks ^^

Drink Bloody Water
May 11, 2006, 12:05 pm
Why the hell didn't i know about this charity? I did some modeling during the summer and got LOADS of money...

UGK
May 11, 2006, 2:56 pm
I think it was before you joined these forums....

-VzX- Silverflame
May 11, 2006, 5:38 pm
my new nick is Silverflame on the new forums...

ontopic: will there be a nickname register thingy so no one else can take anyone's nick.. kinda similar in u13's servers?

FliesLikeABrick
May 11, 2006, 6:36 pm
no, there will just be a policy that anyone that steals another person's name will be permanently banned.

Deleted User
May 11, 2006, 11:32 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickno, there will just be a policy that anyone that steals another person's name will be permanently banned.

that sounds good

Noldi
May 13, 2006, 5:52 pm
This is taking longer than 2 weeks. I'm so impatient... When!?

Soulsnipa
May 13, 2006, 6:14 pm
Friday

Thomas
May 13, 2006, 7:22 pm
Friday?!?!

to make this post not useless:
SMF is a good forum, also installed it once, nice admin-panel, easy to handle
it's often in combination with Mambo/Joomla

btw, why does it take so long?

p.s. i'm looking forward to new forums

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 13, 2006, 7:56 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickHere's the latest:

Specs:
Dual 2.8ghz Opterons with HT, 64 bit.
4GB DDR400 RAM

It isn't that hard to read the other pages...

Deleted User
May 13, 2006, 9:04 pm
HHH = ..::HHH::..

?

KamikazeDuck
May 13, 2006, 11:36 pm
KamikazeDuck = ..::KamikazeDuck::..

!

na...

Deleted User
May 14, 2006, 9:53 am
SadistAtHeart = SadistAtHeart

Mindblowing, eh?

Eoi
May 14, 2006, 2:50 pm
I'm changing mine to Iridescent, as thats who I am in games from now on including xbox live. Eoi is the old me.
Can't wait for the forums so I can at last upload my mod, which isn't completely done, but its only maps left, so I'll add them later.
Hopefully you will keep the same layout. l33t mods, non l33t ones. genereal discussions. news etc.
However please rename 'l33t' to something more professional.

rabidhamster
May 14, 2006, 3:54 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Eoi
However please rename 'l33t' to something more professional.

Blame Styx.

a-4-year-old
May 14, 2006, 5:24 pm
the impacients is killing me.

in the meantime, i will come up with a non immature name, *scans list*
hmmmm...
..::a-4-year-old::..
ytte (pronounced whitey)

damnit my names suck.

Echo_Trail
May 14, 2006, 9:19 pm
I was wondering, anyone knows what the new adress will be? Will it remain soldatforums.com?

I didn't wanna skip all 11 pages through, you see.. :)

FliesLikeABrick
May 14, 2006, 9:28 pm
read the thread, I will not answer that again

Echo_Trail
May 14, 2006, 9:41 pm
I don't know how i missed it. I thought I'd read the first 2½ pages, but this never really crossed my eyes. Or i didn't notice in any case.

Sorry about that. Oh, and thanks for not ignoring my question as you'd appearently said you would.

Pride
May 15, 2006, 1:15 am
Yay, I can finally be Wraithlike, Schweet!

Drink Bloody Water
May 15, 2006, 12:48 pm
Mmph... can you at least tell us the background color???? I'm getting veryyy impatient

Aquarius
May 15, 2006, 3:48 pm
I hope it will have the same skin/theme as this forum.

Banksey
May 15, 2006, 8:57 pm
I hope it doesnt these forums look like [CENSORED] no offence but they are vry plain i hope the new ones are gona have a bit of "sas" to them

God i cant belive i said sas

Elephant_Hunter
May 15, 2006, 9:22 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by AquariusI hope it will have the same skin/theme as this forum.

I hope you're joking.

SERIAL KILLeR
May 15, 2006, 9:31 pm
I hope you will be able to choose between some skins.

Elephant_Hunter
May 15, 2006, 10:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SERIAL KILLeRI hope you will be able to choose between some skins.

Unfortunately, that won't be an option when we initially release the forums. I only had enough time to make one theme.

Picky picky!

FliesLikeABrick
May 15, 2006, 10:45 pm
I think you guys will be really happy with the one theme and won't even want another one once you see the one we have

Aquarius
May 15, 2006, 10:50 pm
This sucks. Just copy this one, it shouldn't be hard.

Soulsnipa
May 15, 2006, 11:07 pm
I'd rather have options dont do the thinking for me.

I'm taking a wild guess and gonna say the background color will be black.

Elephant_Hunter
May 15, 2006, 11:34 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by AquariusThis sucks. Just copy this one, it shouldn't be hard.

It's not? Well, by all means... be my guest ;)

GluLm
May 15, 2006, 11:36 pm
 Quote: I hope it will have the same skin/theme as this forum.
Just copy this one, it shouldn't be hard.
I totally agree. Can't we keep this one? This is the official Soldat Forums after all, not a minor side community!

Elephant_Hunter
May 15, 2006, 11:52 pm
Flies bought a 4k server to make sure that we would have a stable forum, and I spent several weeks of sleepless nights to design and implement an entire new forum theme with all the functionality of this one.

Now, I'm not under the illusion that everybody is going to be satisfied, but I am feeling like the project is rather under-appreciated. Nearly the entire staff helped in the implementation of the new forums. We're putting in this effort for the community, and it's not going to get us a dime. If you want to help, make a real effort. Anybody can sit back and complain.

FliesLikeABrick
May 16, 2006, 12:25 am
I full support and agree with what Elephant Hunter has said. All expectations should be silenced until the new forums are open to the public and you can see them for yourself. I don't think m/any people will have complaints when that time comes

Soulsnipa
May 16, 2006, 1:07 am
Well I knew the forums was an issue, but its not like we really asked for anything other than a more stable server...IF that. I could be wrong but wouldnt it just be best to listen to what the community wants? This isnt the fansite forums, this is the official forums we are talking about. And no it shouldnt be very hard at all to transfer these images, hell

Quote:It's not? Well, by all means... be my guest ;)

I'll be your guest. Now are you going to keep up your offer.

Vijchtidoodah
May 16, 2006, 2:13 am
I like the fact that as we're finally getting a new server, the old ones have been behaving extremely well.

Anyway, thank you to everyone involved. I just can't wait until Operation Anal Penetration commences.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 16, 2006, 2:23 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickI full support and agree with what Elephant Hunter has said. All expectations should be silenced until the new forums are open to the public and you can see them for yourself. I don't think m/any people will have complaints when that time comes

Didn't you kind of expect the community to have expectations and say what they wanted by opening this thread? I don't really think you could expect them not to. This thread is mostly spam and if you don't want to hear their expectations/repeated questions you should probably lock it. Just a suggestion.

lordrohith
May 16, 2006, 2:55 am
I don't really see what's so bad about change, its not like the new forums is gonna suck. If people have contributed so much to this project, don't you think that it might actually be good?

So I think we should sit tight and actually wait for the forums to actually open before we start complaining.

Soulsnipa
May 16, 2006, 3:59 am
change is good but when there can be the option......

wormdundee
May 16, 2006, 4:20 am
Holy freakin' crap.

You guys do this every single time.

Something new of some sort is announced and you all get out your megaphones and start [CENSORED]ing about how everything is going to suck now, blablabla. Nobody ever bothers to wait until the thing is released before unleashing their verbal dump of [CENSORED].

You sicken me. If this is how you act in the real world we are screwed. Shut the [CENSORED] up until you can actually give an opinion worth reading. These guys bust their ass making a new forum and trying to change things up and this is how you thank them.

Deleted User
May 16, 2006, 4:25 am
Yeah this should be locked so spam such as this very post can't get through

Elephant_Hunter
May 16, 2006, 5:49 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaWell I knew the forums was an issue, but its not like we really asked for anything other than a more stable server...IF that. I could be wrong but wouldnt it just be best to listen to what the community wants? This isnt the fansite forums, this is the official forums we are talking about. And no it shouldnt be very hard at all to transfer these images, hell

You make an decent replica of these forums in the standard SMF theme format (that works in firefox/opera) and I'll pass it by the rest of the crew. Don't expect it to be immediately put in use, as we need to test and modify the template for the forum modifications we've used.

Chakra`
May 16, 2006, 6:30 am
 Quote:Originally posted by wormdundeeHoly freakin' crap.

You guys do this every single time.

Heh. Remember the birth of the weapons editor? What a fuss people caused then.

"It'll ruin soldat! divide the community!
there won't be a place to play normal soldat anymore!
ITS THE END OF SOLDAT!"

...some fellas need to get out more. Was a good laugh though. Think there was never more than 25 WM servers at any one time.

Anyhow, to recap gentlemen.

Operation Bum Weasel is 'part' of the plans I had set up for these forums upon becoming admin. The plan was infact to upgrade these forums with new features (like the front page we had in 2004), knobs and doodahs, and fix a few of it's bugs... hence I got Bricks into being a fellow admin ('cos he's just plain smarter than me).

..but that proved impossible due to how these forums have 'evolved' from times before our care.

The reasons we've constructed a new Soldat Forums is because..

The current forums boast numerous problems in its code, and little known trusted people know how to programme in ASP. Search barely works, polls suddenly being unviewable in certain browsers, wrong sized fonts, our email service with our host doesn't work, not to mention the problems in admin controls, etc etc..
Our host hasn't proven reliable. Granted it is stable now, and was stable for 'some' of last year. However it took them from November to the end of March to fix our last stability problems. Anyone recall the random and continuous downtime, sometimes lasting days?
Michal himself is paying for this service. He can get a better service from within the community, for free.
The new forums is in PHP and will be hosted by Bricks. He knows his PHP like I know immature wit, thus he can provide reachable maintainance where needed and upgrade the forums with new features, designs, patches, and so on whenever needed.
The new forums will provide easier cooler browsing, more options, small file hosting, avatar hosting, karma system (if decided), an ability to 'subscribe' to threads you're interested in, superior controls for moderators, and a ton of other crap and small little things that make a difference, which'll all actually work, and will actually be kinda fun.
And, we can add more shizzle on top of that and eventually and continuously customise it to the communities wants and needs where needed. Which we can't do here.
A few months ago there was a poll (when they worked for everyone. Heh.) on how people would feel if we moved to a fresh new forum. The majority voted positively so we feel this is in the communities general approval.

Suggestions on a postcard for anything you'd like to see changed, what you don't like about the above, or just your overall opinion.

Oh, and the design for the new forums is influenced and akin to the one we have here. If you're frightened, we have made moderators available to hold your hand and talk softly while embracing this changover. We expect this marvelous incident to occur anytime within the rest of the month, so not long now.

Soulsnipa
May 16, 2006, 6:36 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunter Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaWell I knew the forums was an issue, but its not like we really asked for anything other than a more stable server...IF that. I could be wrong but wouldnt it just be best to listen to what the community wants? This isnt the fansite forums, this is the official forums we are talking about. And no it shouldnt be very hard at all to transfer these images, hell

You make an decent replica of these forums in the standard SMF theme format (that works in firefox/opera) and I'll pass it by the rest of the crew. Don't expect it to be immediately put in use, as we need to test and modify the template for the forum modifications we've used.

Once I have a webhost to test it on, should be the time of the arrival of the new forums since they will be on the same server....I'll see what I can do.

Elephant_Hunter
May 16, 2006, 7:00 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipa
Once I have a webhost to test it on, should be the time of the arrival of the new forums since they will be on the same server....I'll see what I can do.

Use a PHP development tool on your home computer, like XAMPP. Makes things easier, so you don't need to upload every time you make a change to test the results.

Soulsnipa
May 16, 2006, 7:31 am
How can I get the source. Should I just download from SMF site, and ....install them on my computer.

Or are they not like phpbb, do the forums even need to be installed?

will XAMPP be able to echo the forums out.

Any changes in the layout that I need to be aware of...etc .etc

Deleted User
May 16, 2006, 7:48 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Chakra`
The new forums is in PHP and will be hosted by Bricks. He knows his PHP like I know immature wit

That made me smile.

Vijchtidoodah
May 16, 2006, 8:02 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Chakra`[quote]Originally posted by wormdundeeThe plan was infact to upgrade these forums with new features (like the front page we had in 2004), knobs and doodahs, and fix a few of it's bugs...

That's where I come in as the Badmin Extraordinaire.

Elephant_Hunter
May 16, 2006, 8:24 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaHow can I get the source. Should I just download from SMF site, and ....install them on my computer.

Yes.

Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipa
will XAMPP be able to echo the forums out.

XAMPP is fully functional for testing php apps before deployment.

Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaAny changes in the layout that I need to be aware of...etc .etc

Just a couple new menu items, but nothing you need to worry about.

Dark_Noddy
May 18, 2006, 12:02 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Elephant_HunterFlies bought a 4k server to make sure that we would have a stable forum, and I spent several weeks of sleepless nights to design and implement an entire new forum theme with all the functionality of this one.

Now, I'm not under the illusion that everybody is going to be satisfied, but I am feeling like the project is rather under-appreciated. Nearly the entire staff helped in the implementation of the new forums. We're putting in this effort for the community, and it's not going to get us a dime. If you want to help, make a real effort. Anybody can sit back and complain.

Beeing involved in a "large" project myself (Soldat Gather) I know how it is to be flamed and whined at while "wasting" your entire spare time coding or whatever for Soldat community. I just wanna say I think you're doing a [CENSORED]ing great job and once again thank Flies for yet another super "dontaion" to the soldat community.. And thank you to all the other ppl involved in this :)

Keep up the good work !

Echo_Trail
May 18, 2006, 3:08 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Dark_Noddy

Beeing involved in a "large" project myself (Soldat Gather) I know how it is to be flamed and whined at while "wasting" your entire spare time coding or whatever for Soldat community. I just wanna say I think you're doing a [CENSORED]ing great job and once again thank Flies for yet another super "dontaion" to the soldat community.. And thank you to all the other ppl involved in this :)

Keep up the good work !

I agree, man. It's Great that someone's willin to stand up for the comunity and do something rather drastic like this. And it's really a shame how people don't appreciate it much. I know I do, and I'm most thankfull for the service you guys provide. Great Job.
echo_trail

rabidhamster
May 18, 2006, 8:02 pm
I'm under the impression that the new forums will be up sometime tomorrow. Am I correct?

Tha Doggfather
May 18, 2006, 8:11 pm
no.

rabidhamster
May 18, 2006, 8:20 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaFriday

Then what was he saying?

Soulsnipa
May 18, 2006, 9:41 pm
Theres like a 50/50 chance its going to be tommorow. At least that is when they will start the transfer. There is a 99% chance that they will be up [or started] by wednesday. This is according to flies.

I bother him so much because SML has been down and it will be on the same server as the forums.

FliesLikeABrick
May 18, 2006, 11:02 pm
I had planned for them to be up by tomorrow, but I have not yet recieved the old servers back from chicago. If I don't get those back by tomorrow night (they have the new forums and a lot of other important data on them) then they will not be up by wednesday. There is at least a 3 day wait from when I get the servers back to when the new forums will be online. This is because it takes 3 days for me to send a server from here to my host in chicago. I will post and let you guys know as soon as I get the old ones back.

livingdalife
May 19, 2006, 6:46 am
wow..so much...effort. Flies, your doing a good job. Take your time!

Echo_Trail
May 19, 2006, 8:06 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickI had planned for them to be up by tomorrow, but I have not yet recieved the old servers back from chicago. If I don't get those back by tomorrow night (they have the new forums and a lot of other important data on them) then they will not be up by wednesday. There is at least a 3 day wait from when I get the servers back to when the new forums will be online. This is because it takes 3 days for me to send a server from here to my host in chicago. I will post and let you guys know as soon as I get the old ones back.

Hey guys, ease off,

Quote:Originally posted by livingdalifewow..so much...effort. Flies, your doing a good job. Take your time!

I know this hole new forum thing is exciting and all, and everyone(including myself) is growing impatient. Not that it's taking too long, it's just that we wanna see it :)
But hey, We've been without the new forum since 2001 or something. We should be able to deal with it throughout the next week as well. ;)

"Take your time". I would have the new forums up and running - giving 100% - rather than just some quick solution. Also I think considering the huge effort that FLAB's put into this, it deserves to take the time it takes to get it perfect and ready for start.

Soulsnipa
May 19, 2006, 8:43 am
only gives me more time to get to commander!

livingdalife
May 19, 2006, 2:59 pm
And I want to get three stars before the new forums! If you think I was being sarcastic when I said "Take your Time"..I wasn't. I, and many many people apprieciate FLAB doing this, and after all the stuff this man has done for the soldat Community, he deserves a medal!
I'd put FLAB up there with MM in the Soldat Hall Of Fame!

Keron Cyst
May 20, 2006, 12:38 am
Please lighten the background colors for the new board...

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 1:13 am
why?...these colors are fine i think...

FliesLikeABrick
May 20, 2006, 1:38 am
again... just wait and see what the new forums are like before making suggestions or criticizing things you've not even seen. We're not going to change anything between now and when the new ones are online for you, so just sit tight.

Soulsnipa
May 20, 2006, 1:50 am
LoL this means the colors are darker, and like I said probably black.

FliesLikeABrick
May 20, 2006, 3:00 am
no, it means exactly what I said: stop making posts like that.

edit: btw LoL and Lol look stupid, anyone who does that because they think it looks more intelligent should be shot in the face, it is no more correct than "lol"

peemonkey
May 20, 2006, 3:04 am
You rock brick. want a shotgun?

Xurich
May 20, 2006, 3:07 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickbtw LoL and Lol look stupid, anyone who does that because they think it looks more intelligent should be shot in the face, it is no more correct than "lol"

Finally, somebody who shares my ire over this. Down with the infidels!

Noldi
May 20, 2006, 4:35 am
I can't wait no more... Hehe

Soulsnipa
May 20, 2006, 5:18 am
Well excuse me, but the first word of a sentence is usually capitalized. Does Lol look better than LoL? I think it looks like a cockeyed horse...so goodbye.

and i bet the new forums are darker gray.

frogboy
May 20, 2006, 5:43 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaWell excuse me, but the first word of a sentence is usually capitalized. Does Lol look better than LoL? I think it looks like a cockeyed horse...so goodbye.

and i bet the new forums are darker gray.
Hypocrite. You started that sentence with "and" and no capital letter, and then didn't capitalise "I". Besides, "LoL" looks even worse than "Lol" and "LOL".

Soulsnipa
May 20, 2006, 5:58 am
I wasnt being a hypocrite, some sentences I begin with a capital and some I dont. I happen to have perfect grammar in some posts, and not in others. It all depends on whether im feeling happy or not. Anyway I was only giving the reason why I said LoL rather than lol, I wasnt saying that I would always have super grammar/spelling/case on a forum

Keron Cyst
May 20, 2006, 7:00 am
But if you're going to correct someone, you ought to at least make sure that your post itself doesn't get caught up in the same snare you looped the victimized post in. :-P

Emotion should have nothing to do with grammar...

Soulsnipa
May 20, 2006, 7:15 am
flies opened a can of spam

Eoi
May 20, 2006, 9:12 am
I just hate the word 'lol' or 'rofl' or any other form of that. It's nearly as quick saying 'hehe' or 'hahaha'.
I just hate any abbreviated words (except official ones).
Anyway, thats my two cents.

On topic
When are the forums going to change!
Still waiting...

Echo_Trail
May 20, 2006, 9:46 am
For [CENSORED]s sake! Who cares if the grammar is fine? Ajusting freakin' grammar is the smallest personality issue on the forums! C'mon guys, keep it real, okay?

(Back on topic..)
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickagain... just wait and see what the new forums are like before making suggestions or criticizing things you've not even seen. We're not going to change anything between now and when the new ones are online for you, so just sit tight.

I agree. What's new about it anyway, if you allready know what's coming? I'm nearly creaming my pants out of excitement, but that's the best part, right? I think the new forum should kinda stick to the theme that we have now, but look a little more.. modern :)

Not that I have anything to say.. ¬_¬

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 1:32 pm
The new forums are certified awesome, and will undeniably replace these old ones in your heart, like the girl you cheat on your girlfriend with. Your girlfriend is loyal, but the new girl is just so damn kinky and sweet. Mrowl.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 20, 2006, 3:09 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliThe new forums are certified awesome, and will undeniably replace these old ones in your heart, like the girl you cheat on your girlfriend with. Your girlfriend is loyal, but the new girl is just so damn kinky and sweet. Mrowl.

Nice Metaphor.

FliesLikeABrick
May 20, 2006, 6:16 pm
I should have the old servers back in my hands at my house by Monday. Assuming all goes well, I should be able to ship the new one out on tuesday. This means it should arrive at the datacenter and be online by friday.

MOFO NOFO
May 20, 2006, 7:05 pm
Woo 5 more days!

Soulsnipa
May 20, 2006, 8:12 pm
hmmm thats 6 days...so that means 300/6 = 50 posts a day. hmmm

FliesLikeABrick
May 20, 2006, 8:21 pm
Soulsnipa, if you start spamming it isn't going to be any better than spamming before we were moving to new forums.

Noldi
May 20, 2006, 11:14 pm
Friday Argh!!!!!!!!

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 20, 2006, 11:43 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickSoulsnipa, if you start spamming it isn't going to be any better than spamming before we were moving to new forums.

Might as well go ahead and ban him from the new forums...after he gives us the forum template of course.

Koon
May 21, 2006, 7:16 am
Damn, The new forums are going to be up right when I leave for a week. By the time I get back the fun will already have begun.

Deleted User
May 21, 2006, 7:31 am
 Quote:Originally posted by KoonDamn, The new forums are going to be up right when I leave for a week. By the time I get back the fun will already have begun.

Same here, except add 5 more weeks. ;-;

Soulsnipa
May 21, 2006, 7:32 am
flies, your comment confuses the hell out of me. and maybe should delay the new forums so everyones back from cavation.

Deleted User
May 21, 2006, 8:42 am
Let's not delay the forums at all. They'll be up when they're ready, and they'll still be here when everyone's back.

Koon
May 21, 2006, 4:16 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SadistAtHeart

Aw, that really blows. But it does make me feel a bit better.

Echo_Trail
May 21, 2006, 5:06 pm
Ey guys, drop your passwords in my pm inbox, and I'll see tothat there's a few posts in your names when you return.. And why on earth would we wanna wait 'till ppl are home? get it on, man..

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 22, 2006, 4:57 am
I wish I knew the exact date of the new forums, so I could commit forum suicide here and give my password out.

Soulsnipa
May 22, 2006, 5:00 am
why

Keron Cyst
May 22, 2006, 5:05 am
It's called e-suicide. Just like regular suicide, there are plenty of "reasons"...

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 22, 2006, 5:29 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipawhy

For attention.

FliesLikeABrick
May 22, 2006, 5:33 am
Soulsnipa, stop spamming. This is what my original thing meant that confused you: DON'T SPAM even though we're moving to new forums and you want to get 1000 or whatever posts. it'll get you warned and I'll make sure to carry the warning to the new forums

Deleted User
May 22, 2006, 6:25 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Koon Quote:Originally posted by SadistAtHeart

Aw, that really blows. But it does make me feel a bit better.

That's what i'm here for.

Soulsnipa
May 22, 2006, 8:58 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickSoulsnipa, stop spamming. This is what my original thing meant that confused you: DON'T SPAM even though we're moving to new forums and you want to get 1000 or whatever posts. it'll get you warned and I'll make sure to carry the warning to the new forums

wtf? thats not really nice of you. You said everyone would have a clean slate, and im not really spamming. I'm making discussion. And wtf is the big [CENSORED]in deal about spamming, this is one big spam topic, so you arent just checking this for pure information. And 2) the webhost is changing and the database so storage isnt a problem.

m00`
May 22, 2006, 9:15 am
soulsnipa, you yourself said you wanted to reach 1000 posts before the forums close down, and i've been seeing a lot of posts by you, I think many people see the connection between those 2 things and end up with the conclusion, spam.

so can you please stop :/

frogboy
May 22, 2006, 9:24 am
In addition, you're trying to convince Brick to delay the new forum's arrival based on two peoples' vacations so you can spam more and reach 1000 posts, then trying to justify your spamming because "the new forums are coming soon".

And you expect to be given a clean slate?

Deleted User
May 22, 2006, 9:29 am
I say ban the [CENSORED] now

KamikazeDuck
May 22, 2006, 9:45 am
Maybe you should keep spammers from joining the new forums during the first week or two, it would stop them from being the psychos they are for the last days of the old forums' life.

Oh, and this made me laugh (look at the times on the posts): http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/1170/spammer3bq.png
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9350/spammer23vj.png

Soulsnipa
May 22, 2006, 11:13 am
well [CENSORED] look at enesce, and for that matter frogboy's posts and just because they are about 1000 posts means they can spam? [CENSORED] that bull[CENSORED], at least I post useful comments, like in mapping resources answering peoples question, see that screenshot kindly taken by kamakaze

so what i want to get to 1000, chakra said its ok. So [CENSORED] off? What makes it spam, that im aiming towards a goal in a certain number of days? Is there a rule .... if u post 10+ times a day you spam? [CENSORED] you

ill stop on the arrival of the new forums or when i reach 1000, whichever comes first. You can give me 999 posts if u want and ill make one post, thatll stop the spam...seeing you took away about 750 posts it should be fair.

and obiovusly i was joking about delaying the forums...lol

Chakra`
May 22, 2006, 11:55 am

Right.

Page 16, and everything after this post, shalt hereforth be known for questions, answers, and opinions towards what the feckin' topic is about. Nothing else. Should anything else appear, it'll be deleted.

Soulsnipa. In the 5 or so days it'll take you to reach 1000 posts, you'll have posted far more than is tolerable for other regulars here who'd have to witness your arrant omnipresence, which wouldn't be a problem if your history here had not slowly earned the reputation 'Cognoscente of Annoyance'. So K.I.S.S and don't even think about it.

As a foot note, some of what you said in this thread was probably intended as attemptively 'funny', but given your history elsewhere in various other threads, it's hard to understand the fine line you've set between aspersive whining and deformed sarcasm. Please illustrate where your mind is at whenever you post from here on.

There will be no mention of the above and this post, except for the first post, due to there being enough crap and spam to wade through as it is. Ya'll got that? good.

Thomas
May 22, 2006, 6:04 pm
I got 2 questions:
1. Which version of SMF do you use? 1.0.7 or 1.1RC2?
2. Why so many hard disks? You use them in a RAID array?

Chakra`
May 22, 2006, 6:44 pm
1: 1.0.7 . Did suggest 1.1RC2 to Bricks seeing as so many are raving about it (i'm a sheep, I know), but Dr Sensible butted in and backed the stable solid version.

2: He collects them. He eventually hopes to open a musuem of hard drives starting from 1982 to the modern day. (I don't know. He'll have to answer that)

FliesLikeABrick
May 22, 2006, 7:10 pm
many hard drives for a couple reasons:
the 2 73gb drives are brand new and have a 5 year warantee, they'll have the most critical data

the others are there for other use, they can be mounted into the filesystem at any point for any use. They're there so that they may be used on-demand. If the time comes that we have a lot of attachments on the forum, I could take one of them and mount it /just/ for attachments.

A lot of the reason I am sending it out there with so many is because I want to have them available, in case one fails and needs to be replaced or in case I need more space for something.

Since a lot of them are the same size, I can RAID them if I have the need for additional space and need redundancy or speed

Deleted User
May 22, 2006, 7:11 pm
Heh, that 2nd awnser to Thomas's question made me laugh.
Anyways, I for one think FLAB is doing a fine job with these forums and getting new ones up and running.
Keep up the good work FLAB!

FliesLikeABrick
May 22, 2006, 10:41 pm
I just got one server back today, I should be getting the other one back tomorrow.

rabidhamster
May 23, 2006, 9:14 pm
So are the forums gonna be up by tomorrow, or Friday?

Chakra`
May 23, 2006, 9:21 pm
At an educated guess, i'd say the weekend or there-about. You'll know when he does.

frogboy
May 27, 2006, 10:16 am
Sorry if this question's already been asked, but is anything happening to the Testing forum?

FliesLikeABrick
May 27, 2006, 3:59 pm
no?

David S7
May 28, 2006, 6:45 am
I've been waiting for the new forums to appear, but I don't see any changes.

Vijchtidoodah
May 28, 2006, 8:25 am
Flies, Chakra, all you have to do is simple: give me the power of the banhammer, and I'll make all your troubles go away.

On another note, could you please move the Beta Testing section to the top of whatever forums we have so that we don't have to scroll all the way down to see if there are any changes?

Ivel
May 28, 2006, 2:22 pm
Well, I am excited, i'm soo eager to make my name will be °Ivel° . But my question is, will it have a thing that we can add attachments without hosting? [im not good with computers, so I dont understand all your computer talk]

Chakra`
May 28, 2006, 2:33 pm
File attatchments can be attatched to forum posts, Ivel. Kinda like an email. You write out the message, then optionally attatch a file to it. Nothing too big though. It'll all be hosted by the new forums itself.

You guys probably be wondering "where the freckle are the new forums?"
Well, we have someone to blame for that. The US Postal System. I think. Anyhow it's all a tad delayed still so, just button up and/or send Bricks emails strictly about how much you love him.

Echo_Trail
May 28, 2006, 3:06 pm
Woah, Flies must really hate you for that last line :D I wonder just how many pm's he'll recieve. Billions, I bet.

Anyway, I had been waiting for it to be up for today, but what the hell. Take your time, mates.

David S7
May 28, 2006, 3:29 pm
Ohh, so the problem was from US Postal System.

Well, keep doing the good job Flies and other people project in Bum Weasel. I think you're doing great.

The Geologist
May 28, 2006, 7:01 pm
Need me to go in there and break some mail carrier knees with my rock hammer? It doubles as a ban hammer, and it even has a pointy end to deal out delicious justice to the masses.

FliesLikeABrick
May 28, 2006, 7:40 pm
Actually, it was not our humble US Postal System. We were using UPS, but they're not to blame either. The hosting company made an understandable mistake and shipped it to my old address (at school). This is the first mistake they've made, so I'm quite understanding. Although we want the new forums, it isn't a critical application anyway.

Echo_Trail
May 28, 2006, 8:48 pm
I guess it's a bad idea to publicate a deadline for these things. All sorts of things can happen, as we see here. We mortals can but await what's to come..

:)

FliesLikeABrick
May 28, 2006, 9:06 pm
nothing I ever said indicated a clear deadline or time that they would be up ;)

Keron Cyst
May 29, 2006, 1:37 am
They'll never be up! This is all a scam to increase forum activity!!

:-P

Koon
May 29, 2006, 3:12 am
Yay! I thought I was going to come back from a stupid family trip to find you all partying in a new forum but it looks like I'll be part of the opening after all!! :D

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 29, 2006, 7:35 pm
At least someone is happy.

rabidhamster
May 29, 2006, 8:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Keron CystThey'll never be up! This is all a scam to increase forum activity!!

:-P

You didn't know?

By the way Chakra / FLAB, see if you can get Monsoonix to take off the soldatforums ad. I don't want a flood of newbies the second the new forums are up.

edak
May 29, 2006, 10:16 pm
I can't wait for the sweet virgin forum to come......

FliesLikeABrick
May 29, 2006, 11:45 pm
rabidhamster: it wouldn't be there unless we wanted it to, sorry.

David S7
May 30, 2006, 4:14 am
I can't believe people is starting to say lies like it won't come up. They say this is just to increase forum activity. Omg are those guys blind or what?

The Soldat Forums are of the most active forums I've ever seen.

[IMAGE]

You can even see here the page rank is 4/10. It takes billions and billions of people to visit the site to get 1 point.

Vijchtidoodah
May 30, 2006, 4:34 am
These forums are barely active compared to a lot of others on the net.

FliesLikeABrick
May 30, 2006, 12:05 pm
you guys need to mellow out and read the replies. I'm deleting any spam in this thread

Captain Ben
May 30, 2006, 12:31 pm
Eh, I read the first post and scanned through the 16 and 17 pages, but what will the new forums' url be? Will it replace this one, soldatforums.com or be different or what?

Chakra`
May 30, 2006, 1:24 pm
It will replace this one.

David S7
May 30, 2006, 3:02 pm
Guys just be patient and let FLAB and the other staff members of the project Bum Weasel do their job.
Thanks FLAB and other staff members of the project. Keep the good work. =)

FliesLikeABrick
May 30, 2006, 3:50 pm
Captain Ben, that's hoses***. That question was asked on 3-4 different pages, you would have seen it if you looked at all.

In other news, an update:
My host promised I would have that server back today, constantly
referencing "you will have it by the next business day," making it sound like
he was quoting a UPS thing referring to "Next Day Air." Just checked the
tracking info, he shipped it UPS ground and now I won't have it until the 1st.

I was supposed to have this server back in my hands during finals week *sigh*

As I've said before the host is great, this has just been one absolutely huge fiasco with this server, from start to finish

Deleted User
May 30, 2006, 5:40 pm
Sorry to hear that FLAB, but keep you're ching up, if we all be patient this will fly by and be over soon enough.
Lets all just enjoy our old forums for a bit longer.

shoover
May 30, 2006, 6:02 pm
FLAB I have another question, sorry lol.

You know how some topics like "Soldat Bar" At the bash pit menu. They show links to the first 10 pages, then line break, then links to another 10 pages etc.. Are you going to change it "like explosm.net's" TO make it look just one line no breaks

"Soldat Bar" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ..148 149

FliesLikeABrick
May 30, 2006, 7:14 pm
I believe that is how SMF does it, yes. It makes more sense for it to be like that anyway, since nobody is going to be on the active topics page and want to click on page 72 [or some other random page in the middle]

shoover
May 30, 2006, 8:03 pm
That's Good, now ive done some research and ive seen that SMF Can use a maximum replies per subject. Will you be doing that? I remember when we had this "Last person to post thread wins a key" And a guy saying that after page 250 the whole thing will end. But it was on page 251.

Will you be having a limit for keeping disk space at a decent size?

And Then One More question until i get everything i needed known.

Is there a current post limit? Meaning a certain amount of time in between posts? If not are you going to add one.

Echo_Trail
May 30, 2006, 10:43 pm
I gotta say I'm really surprised how well people react to this matter. It would seem, Chak and FLAB, that your hard work and constant updating really paid of as to how people 'respect' your labour. Usually ppl would've whined about the forums not being up allready, but they seem to be kinda easy going, wishing you good luck and "take your time"'ing you alot.

I think this shows that there might actually just be light at the end of the tunnel for the new forums. Perhaps we will finaklly be free of constant spamming and loads of bashpit material. Good Job you guys. You might've just done the impossible.. ;)

FliesLikeABrick
May 30, 2006, 11:30 pm
echo, that is exactly what I'm hoping. I hope that with a fresh forum will come a breath of fresh air and an increase in maturity

FliesLikeABrick
May 31, 2006, 10:13 pm
In case you guys haven't noticed, all spam in here is being deleted. The first post now has a Q&A with all of the questions posted so far in the thread. Read that before posting.

zoldat
June 1, 2006, 6:55 pm
Dual Opteron what?
In the 2xx series or the 8xx series?

FliesLikeABrick
June 1, 2006, 7:30 pm

zoldat
June 1, 2006, 9:59 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick254

:O some of the big ones, 2x dual 2.8ghz, for af forum?
Is'ent that a bit overkill, or do u have other plans with the server?

FliesLikeABrick
June 1, 2006, 10:00 pm
I've got other plans for the server ;)

edak
June 1, 2006, 10:26 pm
I have a wonderful idea, I will trade it for my desktop.

zoldat
June 1, 2006, 10:50 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickI've got other plans for the server ;)

*Whisper to me* ;D

bgretydews
June 1, 2006, 11:17 pm
I think hes Hosting Server @ u13 for people to Buy

Echo_Trail
June 2, 2006, 5:14 pm
By the way, I was thinking about this hole new soldatforum thing, and how you said, FLAB, that you had hoped for it to bring a new fresh breath of maturity(or whatever you said, mate). In order for this to realise, I believe you should have a more effective "help" forum. By the time I've been around here, I've seen many people asking the same questions over and over again. Relevant ones even, and I think somethng should be done for these poor [CENSORED]s :)
I suggest following,
Make a list of relevant things that has been asked, and groub them into several *parts in some order.
(*some may be similar, but not quite the same. They should still go close together)
Make a line for every question, something like a forum topic, but it shoyuld really be obvious what the question asked and answered is all about, before you even click the link. If someone has a question that isn't asked yet, he/she may ask it. It should then be possible for anyone to aid this person, in form of replying to the topic just as it is now. Irrelevant and/or spamlike replies should be consideret... well.. spam :)

What do you think? I just think it'd be alot easier if you could just go like,
"Hmm.. what does bink mean? I wonder.."
*Clicking link "Soldat Vocabulary(ex.)*
And then there should be an explanation of various soldat/gaming "made-up-words" such as bink, selfbink, efc/ffc, tk, sk etc.
This way it would also be alot easier to actually create a common language, instead of ppl using all kinds of words for all kinds of things.

Just an idea, though
echo

FliesLikeABrick
June 2, 2006, 7:17 pm
echo: http://wiki.soldat.nl/

Perhaps people should start using the wiki more. When someone asks a question in the help forum that is about a very common topic, link them to the wiki page for that topic. If one doesn't exist, make it. If it doesn't have the exact information the person is looking for but you know the answer, put it in the wiki topic then link them to it.

edit: I'm sending the new server to them today, they should have it in 4-5 days.

Echo_Trail
June 2, 2006, 8:53 pm
This is exactly my point, FLAB. New guys don't know about the wiki, so they'll just go straight to the questioning.

I never really used the wikipedia myself, and I should probably start looking through it before asking online. Anyhow, I never did, and I doubt many others do - especially new guys.

Keron Cyst
June 3, 2006, 1:38 am
Just put a Wiki link that appears for people with less than 10 posts, or something like that. And make sure the link is large and easily noticed.

FliesLikeABrick
June 3, 2006, 4:17 am
Echo, I'm saying to reply in threads asking newbie questions with links to the wiki to help make people aware of it. This is what I intend to do from now on

rabidhamster
June 3, 2006, 3:32 pm
On a member's profile, can there be a link next to "show all non-archived posts by x" that's labeled "show all topics started by x"? It would include non-archived topics as well.

lordrohith
June 4, 2006, 3:58 am
Yes I second rabidhamster's request, that would be useful.

MOFO NOFO
June 4, 2006, 5:17 am
What if people edit and destroy the wiki?

Deleted User
June 4, 2006, 5:42 am
Wiki's usually have backups.

FliesLikeABrick
June 4, 2006, 5:50 am
MOFO, 1) people are stupid if they do that 2) IPs are recorded with every edit, and vandalism will be taken seriously, they will be banned from a bunch of places if they start to vandalize the wiki 3) people aren't morons often enough, they tend to respect things like wikis

Xurich
June 4, 2006, 6:21 am
I agree with 1 and 2 there, but certainly not 3.

MOFO, every edit on every page is saved in the wiki's history, so if somebody, for example, deletes everything on a page or writes something malicious, another user can check that page's history, compare the changes between the last good edit and the current edit, and simply revert to the older, clean version. It's beautiful really.