( search forums )
[DM, PM, RM, TM, CTF] Frozen Mine
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
carnageX
April 29, 2006, 3:10 am
Frozen Mine

Screenshot: [URL]
Download: [URL]

Well, this one does not have as much open spaces as my second one, and (hopefully) is an improvement from my first one. It's also much larger than my first one, as well. It took me quite a while to add all of the icicles, and the support beams, to make it look more like an abandoned / frozen mineshaft (or cave, or something of that sort). I shaded almost every polygon, because, caves / mines don't get much light ;).

Also note: there is no, I repeat, NO waypointing in this map! I may make a v2, and add waypointing, but this is mainly meant for online play against other players.

Well, hopefully this is an improvement from my first map, Moonlit Cliff.

What do you all think of this one?

Deleted User
April 29, 2006, 3:57 am
fix the download link

rabidhamster
April 29, 2006, 4:02 am
No shading, what the hell?

The last one was so much better.

carnageX
April 29, 2006, 4:06 am
 Quote:fix the download link

The download link does work =\.

Quote:No shading, what the hell?

The last one was so much better.

Well what light source would be in a cave? I don't really see a reason for shading if there's no light source (like a moon or a sun) in the map... Maybe give some pointers for what I should shade / color? That way I can make it better XD.

Deleted User
April 29, 2006, 4:13 am
if you make it all ice, i sense that there will be lots of prone sliding

carnageX
April 29, 2006, 4:15 am
There's a lot of sliding anyway, making it a map where you have to be in constant motion. I think this map would be better for 4+ players, that way there'd be a lot of action, and you'd be in constant motion anyway.

HOpefully this is the only map I get bad reviews on XD. And hopefully I can get ways to improve upon this map.

The Geologist
April 29, 2006, 4:54 am
There's always a reason to use a light source and put in shading. It gives the maps life and feeling. He's correct in saying your first was much better. I'd say go with what you did originally..that shading rocked, and expanding that to the rest of the map would be a great choice. ANd please..use colors! You have a full pallet for a reason..

David S7
April 29, 2006, 6:48 am
I say you should add more scenery. Like lamps in the roof, since it's a mine.
Then you will have another reason to shade.

Pr0digy
April 29, 2006, 6:53 am
Even if there isnt a light source, putting different colors in the map, like a darker shading color, still gives the map deph.

David S7
April 29, 2006, 7:34 am
Yup. All maps need shade, or different colors, as Pr0digy said.

DeMonIc
April 29, 2006, 7:56 am
Like pointed out before, this is a setback compared to your first map.

I suggest you fool around with that type of mapping style with some unreleased maps: then the next map you release might end up a block-buster ;)

Eagles_Arrows
April 29, 2006, 2:02 pm
Where's that Chakapoko-style shading technique?!

carnageX
April 29, 2006, 6:06 pm
Ok, lol, I've decided I'll put in some mining lamps, and then I can shade the platforms, and such. I'll do that sometime today. I'll just have to find some mining lamps somewhere. I'm sure I'll be able to somewhere, though =\.

Quote:ANd please..use colors! You have a full pallet for a reason..

Well, I'm not entirely sure on HOW to use the colors, and WHERE they would look best, that's why I've been kinda avoiding it =\. Like I said before, some pointers on what / where I should do this would be appreciated =).

carnageX
April 29, 2006, 7:38 pm
Sorry to double post, but I've updated the map now.

I've shaded the entire map, and I've added light sources. The problem with the light sources is that they don't fade however, and I'm not sure why. I used Serial Killer's Light Scenary Pack vol 1.1, and it shows that they light cones fade, but they don't fade when I use them in Polyworks =\. Other than the lights not looking right (I'll get that sorted out as soon as I figure out what's not working right), what do you all think of it now?

Raptor
May 6, 2006, 1:09 am
Looks better

Norris Scott
May 6, 2006, 5:40 am
Make sure the files you downloaded are .png's, because if they're .bmp's there's a good chance that's what's causing your problems.

Mothafix
May 6, 2006, 7:38 am
What are those yellow things? Lights? HA, get SerialKillER's light scenery pack from mapping help/resources

Norris Scott
May 6, 2006, 9:46 am
 Quote:Originally posted by MothafixWhat are those yellow things? Lights? HA, get SerialKillER's light scenery pack from mapping help/resources

Quote:I've shaded the entire map, and I've added light sources. The problem with the light sources is that they don't fade however, and I'm not sure why. I used Serial Killer's Light Scenary Pack vol 1.1, and it shows that they light cones fade, but they don't fade when I use them in Polyworks =\. Other than the lights not looking right (I'll get that sorted out as soon as I figure out what's not working right), what do you all think of it now?

Read carefully next time, Mothafixa-san :P

The instant you figure out the problem with SK's lights and fix it I'm downloading the new version; however you might do well to fix the link. Seems it only brings up a new window of the same topic page.