( search forums )
Coming back for the better. [DM] Solstice
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Exultate
April 29, 2006, 7:12 pm
Well, I am back with a new username after not being active in the forums for some time. You may have known me previously as Norse, where I made a couple maps for the community. I am currently making a new DM map, Solstice, and I want some opinions on what I should do next ><! I'm still oldschool with the original mapmaker ftw! Anyhoo, just wanted to get back into the community after sticking with World of Warcraft for almost a year and a half.

Overview: http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dmsolstice17wj.jpg

Don't let the colors fool you. This isn't an underwater map. It is simply a map with a feeling of calm, tranquil bliss.(With that in mind I am going to change the background colors!) So please keep that in mind when judging what could be done. I am especially looking for poly placement so anything in that line of work would be great! Scenery can come next in line if you find something worthwhile to add.

Cheers! (Shoutouts to Vijchtidoodah [never could remember how to spell ur name vijcht lol], Vash!, Geologist, and Boxo [teh leetzest clown around!], who all gave me motivation to continue mapping again!)

YAR!

Eagles_Arrows
April 29, 2006, 8:45 pm
That top structure has to be the sexiest bridge I've ever seen.

Deleted User
April 30, 2006, 8:37 am
Yeah, the bridge is nice.

But I'd make some of the islands a little longer, they're basically circles at the moment.

DeMonIc
April 30, 2006, 11:09 am
I'd use a different texture. Maybe a hibrid one ( you know, combination of two other textures ). Otherwise it does look promising. And use polyworks: it has improved a lot since you last visited :)

Soulsnipa
April 30, 2006, 11:32 am
you have a lot to learn this is nothing great compared to what can be made today. Learn polyworks, it will work wonders for you. good start though i guess =/

http://sml.u13.net/tutorial

Keron Cyst
April 30, 2006, 4:25 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Exultate... I'm still oldschool with the original mapmaker ftw!...
HAHAHA! It still prevails, Soulsnipa B-) Rock on, Exultate.

Use it to achieve what PW can't. With PW, too many people get hooked on its perfect vertex-connection, and create, well, basically "perfect" maps like inf_Iceberg and Anna's trio of DM levels. The maps that PW basically cannot make unless you work absolutely oldskool-style are those made by chakapoko maker & Marcinkowski (yes, I put CM over MM :-P). Awesome jagged shading techniques can be applied through that, and the vestige terrain looks more rugged and "Soldaty"; I don't like "perfect" maps so much as something like ctf_Laos or Rok, anyways.

Exultate
April 30, 2006, 6:50 pm
I don't care about perfection, so sorry to say I am not going to be using Polyworks. It's was too complicated for my little mind. I can barely handle MS Paint and this new proggy by Anna has to be the equivalent of a Photoshop in the editing/drawing world.

@ Keron: Thanks for the support, bro!

The Geologist
April 30, 2006, 7:32 pm
Keron - That's totally wrong. You can just turn off the "snap to verticies" option in PW and it's the same thing :p Really no need for map maker aside from preference. Polyworks all the way...it's not hard at all once you actually use it. I thought it was too hard, but some experimentation is all it takes.

Anyhoo...I like this map, but as has been stated, too basic! A bit more attention to layout would be good, as well as a bit more shading perhaps. The scenery is awesome, so that portion of the map making I think you've got down pretty well...I love that bridge. The bar has been raised...gonna take some practice to step things up.

Soulsnipa
May 1, 2006, 1:04 am
 Quote:Originally posted by ExultateI don't care about perfection, so sorry to say I am not going to be using Polyworks. It's was too complicated for my little mind. I can barely handle MS Paint and this new proggy by Anna has to be the equivalent of a Photoshop in the editing/drawing world.

@ Keron: Thanks for the support, bro!

That was my same atitude when I came back. I didnt want to switch over with the rest of the crowd because I was acustomed to using the old mapmaker. Then I just bit the bullet because it is SO much better. You will be switching soon as well, dont resist the art side.

and @ Keron, I think Chakopako Maker's maps arent that great, but I guess that is your opininion.

Keron Cyst
May 3, 2006, 12:47 am
 Quote:Originally posted by The Geologist
... You can just turn off the "snap to verticies" option in PW and it's the same thing :p
No... I cannot give in... there must... be a window...

Hah, I just found it!

MM+ supports four different collider sizes!! What has PW?! xP

Soulsnipa
May 3, 2006, 10:48 am
PW supports about 36 collider sizes....

Keron Cyst
May 3, 2006, 6:21 pm
Liar! Where? It only has one.

BTW, @ Exultate: why is the middle rock colored yellow?

Deleted User
May 3, 2006, 8:43 pm
Keron, ever tryed adjusting the radius setting?

rabidhamster
May 3, 2006, 9:17 pm
Actually, polyworks has 64 collider sizes.

On topic, the poly placement could be better if you added more polygon detail to the center of the circles (maybe three or four vertices per circle interior?).