( search forums )
Heavier guns, slower running.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
XWhyX
April 30, 2006, 2:57 pm
I think weight could possibly add a cool aspect to the game.

You're running with a law, you run slower.
You're running with a knife, you run faster.
You drop your weapon, you run very fast :D.

Just an idea.

Eagles_Arrows
April 30, 2006, 6:55 pm
Sounds like CS, but I'd rather leave it the way it is.

MOFO NOFO
April 30, 2006, 6:58 pm
Yes, this is a good idea. I've always wanted this. When you have a chainsaw you run fast >:)

The Geologist
April 30, 2006, 7:37 pm
Have you ever ran with a running chainsaw before? Much less used one?

Edit: Been suggested before, but I still like it...to an extent.

a-4-year-old
April 30, 2006, 7:51 pm
i like it a bit, nothing like adding a bit of realism, but anyone can be atleast a bit fast, if you learn to skip like a school girl you go much faster, so i really dont know how much this is needed, plus the barret would just be crushed from the balance issues.

Deleted User
April 30, 2006, 8:04 pm
If this implemented it should only be in realistic.

Eagles_Arrows
April 30, 2006, 10:29 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by jrgpIf this implemented it should only be in realistic.

Ah, good call!

Aegis
April 30, 2006, 10:43 pm
Also, it should reflect the total weight carried, not just what you have out. A good example is in CS and similar FPS, even just switching to the knife or whatever allows you to move much quicker.. just like your gun 'vanished'.. That's something that always bugged me.

zerox144
April 30, 2006, 10:44 pm
on the one hand its cool and realistic but on the other hand it might annoy some players(like me)really much.

bond_james_bond
April 30, 2006, 11:12 pm
would take away one of Soldat's unique points - No Thinking Necessary

Echo_Trail
April 30, 2006, 11:35 pm
I think this would be cool, actually. To follow up on yours, bond, I think it'd be great with a little more individual tactic'ing, which this is sure to bring along. As it is now, most people just storm right in front, not really thinking of anything. This would make people go like, "Okay, i'm covering low with minigun". I hope so at least.

Swarmer
April 30, 2006, 11:48 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by The GeologistHave you ever ran with a running chainsaw before? Much less used one?

Edit: Been suggested before, but I still like it...to an extent.

Lol, good point. But I think we could sacrifice some realism for better gameplay. Running fast with chainsaw would be an awesome idea.

XWhyX
May 1, 2006, 12:05 am
Well one of the things it would fix is the XM minigun surfers. :P

And yeah, I definately see Echo's point.

Then this way, not everyone would storm. There'd be people with the heavier machine guns a bit back for defense or support and then ones with lighter in the front end fighting.

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 7:32 am
Somehow i like it but i agree with James bond.

Unlucky 13
May 1, 2006, 8:08 am
 Quote:Originally posted by jrgpIf this implemented it should only be in realistic.

Although it makes sense, everyone seems to think that throwing something into realistic is the way to go with everything that isn't totally supported.

...Not that I don't support the idea. It just may be a little unnessicary, but I can imagine a flagger throwing away his weapon just to get to his base quicker. Maybe just for fists, but they should be severly weakend then.

Leo Da Lunerfox
May 1, 2006, 8:30 am
The problem with this, as I see it, is that the game would be slowed down considerably. Imagine if you had a team and you all tried to work together with different weapons:

Deagler: Hey dudes why didn't you give me back up?
AKer: Well you were moving a bit fast for me gov, why don't you slow down?
Minigunner: Huff Huff I'm still at spawn!

If this were to be added, it would indeed make it less arcady and more of a tactical combat game.

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 4:38 pm
Suggested before. Still a nice idea though.
Personally like it.
Maybe this should be implemented in Realistic mode ...

Deleted User
May 1, 2006, 8:38 pm
Sweet Jesus! Are you guys trying to kill the minigun?
All the guns would have to be rebalanced, and it wouldn't really add much to the gameplay anyway.

zyxstand
May 1, 2006, 9:24 pm
so when u put ur law away do you still run slowly? if you don't, then it would be pretty unrealistic. but it's a good idea - might add strategy to the game: you have a barret and run mediumly slow - u got the enemy flag and they all just spawned a bit behind u. you drop fire you barret once, drop it and run the heck outta there...

XWhyX
May 1, 2006, 9:27 pm
I love the minigun, I just think it should be used as a support gun. Not as a "fly away with flag" gun.

Everytime we almost score during a scrim against BH or DETH they consider it unholy so they use a minigun to fly across the map and stab me. :P

Zegovia
May 2, 2006, 12:46 pm
Sounds fun, then you can completley go BANZAAAAAIIIIII with the knife... :D

Alamo
May 2, 2006, 2:04 pm
Don't you already run faster when using the chainsaw?
I wouldn't like this. It would only make the minigun worse. Too much realism is not really what Soldat needs IMO ;)
Plus, LAWs are actually not very heavy. One of them weighs in at about 2.5kg or so.

Deleted User
May 2, 2006, 4:02 pm
I don't support this because one, balance issues and two, in real life the only weapons that would change your running abilities noticably would be the chainsaw and the minigun. Have any of you ever handled real firearms before? I have (including chainsaws :D) and unless one weapon is 10 pounds heavier than another it won't effect how you run. Especialy when your adrenaline is pumping like your little soldat is when he's trying to run from a crazy lunatic with a chainsaw :D

XWhyX
May 4, 2006, 10:47 pm
Well you do recognize deagles, socom, and knife would be alot lighter than say an ak-74.

bond_james_bond
May 5, 2006, 12:46 am
this idea would just, overall, be too complicated.

Swarmer
May 5, 2006, 2:31 am
running with a barrett while still holding it steady enough to aim is near impossible. Running with an MP5 should barely affect your speed at all.

XWhyX
May 5, 2006, 3:52 am
How would it be too complicated. It's easy to put into the game. And it'd be great for strategys. Just have the option to turn it on or off in your server.

Eagles_Arrows
May 5, 2006, 12:02 pm
The fact is - these guns will not affect the speed of your Soldat that much. Not even irl considering it's not heavy enough.

Nuts
May 5, 2006, 5:04 pm
Idea is good, but the mass shouldnt be realistic, the mass should be compared to the power of the weapon.

So barretards would run really slow (because its damage is like 50000)
And minigunners faster (really low damage)

ETc.

a-4-year-old
May 5, 2006, 9:00 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by NutsIdea is good, but the mass shouldnt be realistic, the mass should be compared to the power of the weapon.

So barretards would run really slow (because its damage is like 50000)
And minigunners faster (really low damage)

ETc.

<insert rant about sprayers>

in short, i think this would cause a major balance problem with most of the game, even if it is based on power (barret doesnt have much power, it has alot of speed that makes it a one hit kill, so you wont move much slower than a ruger)

besides, if you skip like a school girl than this is kind of worthless, seeing as skipping makes you go faster than just holding down the key for that direction.

Leo
May 15, 2006, 6:09 pm
This would be really nice in real mod.