( search forums )
WTF!!!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
uFo_Death`
May 4, 2006, 10:20 am
WHAT THE [CENSORED]!! How come on this server(ran in my contry) my ping alwasy changes from like 20 to like 7000+ i have a dsl 512k and i can even run cod2 with no lag,why the [CENSORED] does soldat do it???

LeonSK
May 4, 2006, 10:25 am
does the 7000+ ping appear for only a second or does it last long??

EDIT: Isn't this topic suppose to be in the Server Talk?

Chakra`
May 4, 2006, 10:28 am
Pings usually jump because [i imagine] the server it's hosted on is busy doing other bandwidthy things, sending or recieving data elsewhere than just the soldat server it hosts.

uFo_Death`
May 4, 2006, 10:38 am
Chakra` thats what i tought,it does it everyware now,and leon it stays for like 3 minutes everytime

Deleted User
May 4, 2006, 12:41 pm
Its funny because your ping cant go higher than 2000.... LIAR

zaraza
May 4, 2006, 1:07 pm
Oh yes it can...

Maybe you should try another server?

FliesLikeABrick
May 4, 2006, 4:45 pm
there are hundreds of servers, most of which will probably be a more pleasurable experience than playing in this one which you obviously know has problems.

If you think that all lag is because of your connection, you're very wrong

shoover
May 4, 2006, 5:35 pm
are u on wireless? because it spikes when its on wireless. Or make sure nobody is holding up the bandwith. That will make the lag increase.

-VzX- Silverflame
May 4, 2006, 5:48 pm
wireless shouldnt lag unless u have like 3 other ppl using the same internet at your house. I have T1 and about 70% of the servers have ping of about 200 to about 13 ^^

bja888
May 4, 2006, 5:57 pm
Put your wireless router on your wireless stereo. Next to you cordless phone receiver and talk on your cell phone there....

See if wireless it really all its cracked up to be....

On topic:
There are plenty of factors that could attribute to your connection response time. From your ISP quality to your Anti-virus program, Soldat probably is not causing the problem.

XenocidE
May 4, 2006, 7:02 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by -VzX- Silverflamewireless shouldnt lag unless u have like 3 other ppl using the same internet at your house. I have T1 and about 70% of the servers have ping of about 200 to about 13 ^^

I've had many different experiences in trying to find out why Soldat lags randomly at times. I've tried Soldat at 3 different locations, 1 on a 1meg connection, and the other 2 on a 512k connection.

There are many different things I've experienced. On a 512k LAN connection out to the internet, I would randomly have lag spikes for no apparent reason. For quite a while my connection, in USA Servers, would just be always over 500. One second it would be at 66, next second it'd be over 500 and it would stay there for a while. This is also not running any applications. For a while I thought that maybe other programs were causing the problem, but it wasn't.

Later, I tried on a WLAN connection out to the internet, at the same location. This connection is over a 11.0mb/s connection on a Wireless-B router (when over the LAN connection, I tried with and without the router in place). I played for quite a while and for some reason my ping hardly ever passed 150.
Also, these tests were done in two different time periods. So, it is hard for me to tell what exactly was causing the problem.

But there are so many things that can cause random lag. But if just recently your ping has increased in game play. Either check if there is a type of malware using bandwidth on your PC, or see if you have changed anything else on yourside. If nothing has changed in the time that your connectivity in game play decreased, then I suspect it's an ISP side issue.

Considering since people think that Bandwidth is unlimited, they are incorrect. There are many things that can desifer why your connectivity would decrease. And online speed tests aren't always accurate because they only put a short burst of data out to the internet.
But just see if you haven't changed anything within the time frame that your ping increased. If nothing changed, then this might be a ISP issue, and in that case there isn't anything you can do.

shoover
May 4, 2006, 7:35 pm
actualyl xenocide your right. Maybe because its g, and i read, that other specific waves are causing it to lag. It usually spikes because its probably because of the phone waves and/or the microwaves. So i dont know, you might be right after all.

-VzX- Silverflame
May 4, 2006, 7:36 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888Put your wireless router on your wireless stereo. Next to you cordless phone receiver and talk on your cell phone there....
See if wireless it really all its cracked up to be....
On topic:
There are plenty of factors that could attribute to your connection response time. From your ISP quality to your Anti-virus program, Soldat probably is not causing the problem.

none of those will do it bja888.... i have 4 cells where i live, 3 computers, and yes i have a wireless stereo hooked up to a tv... ppl like when i make a server cuz its smooth...the only problem i think that could contribute is that u have other ppl using your wireless internet... antivirus programs dont lag soldat up unless ppl are stupid enough to run them while playing (then say hello to 1000 ping and higher) my max ping in most of the servers i go to is about 66 :) id check if i were u, if your computer is up to date and experiment with things that u think might affect your ping.
 Quote:Originally posted by shooveractualyl xenocide your right. Maybe because its g, and i read, that other specific waves are causing it to lag. It usually spikes because its probably because of the phone waves and/or the microwaves. So i dont know, you might be right after all.

i have 802.11g....its none of those things..i can run a dedicated server and the most ping i see ppl have is 200..microwaves, phones...<_<

XenocidE
May 4, 2006, 9:08 pm
The thing is, is that if your wireless connection isn't anywhere near a Microwave, or cordless phone reciever, it's not going to bother your wireless connection. If a Microwave is within like 10 feet, it might do some distrurbance in connectivity, and your Coreless phones are only going to bother if it's on the same frequency. So a 2.4GHZ phone might have some disruptivity if your wireless-G depending on what frequency it is on. A Higher Frequency isn't going to have any effects on a lower frequency, but a lower frequency could have minor effects on a higher frequency.

lithium
May 5, 2006, 8:31 pm
ehaaaa xeno why do you have herc's stats in your sig ;o

a-4-year-old
May 5, 2006, 8:47 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by -VzX- Silverflamewireless shouldnt lag unless u have like 3 other ppl using the same internet at your house. I have T1 and about 70% of the servers have ping of about 200 to about 13 ^^

wireless only lags if the connection is the suck.

if you have like 2% connection strength or your wireless card imploded, you might have that much ping.

MOFO NOFO
May 6, 2006, 5:54 am
Laggy. You should try a better server ;)

uFo_Death`
May 7, 2006, 10:36 am
it happens on ALL servers.

MOFO NOFO
May 7, 2006, 10:47 am
Buy a 56k. Lags less then that -__-