( search forums )
Connecting Computers
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
shoover
May 5, 2006, 2:12 am
Does anybody know how or if i can connect my computer via ethernet to another? So that way that computer will get internet off the other computer via ethernet via wireless

rabidhamster
May 5, 2006, 2:25 am
[code]
net modem
|
|
(uplink port of router)
|
router
| | |
| | |
computer____| | |_____computer
|
|
computer[/code]

shoover
May 5, 2006, 2:32 am
..... ok let me rephrase, i want to take computer 2 and connect it via ethernet to computer 1. Computer 1 is connected to the internet via wireless.

so this way computer 2 will get internet off computer 1, off router.

could i do that?

rabidhamster
May 5, 2006, 2:46 am
wild guess:
[code]
wireless comp
|
|
(uplink port of router)
|
router
|
|
|
|
|
computer[/code]

CardBoardWarrior
May 5, 2006, 2:48 am
Yes, I know there is a way, you need to use the computer that is connected to the internet as an internet gateway, and connect to it with the other one.. again im not sure how it is done.

Try opening the network connections folder and using one of the network setup wizards. Or go to the Help & Support thingy.

shoover
May 5, 2006, 2:51 am
u think i could just connect the computers via ethernet and it will work? or does this involve port opening... again

rabidhamster
May 5, 2006, 2:53 am
^I've tried, it doesn't work by itself, plus you need a crossover cable. You need to coax it somehow. Both of my layouts would probably work automatically, no software config necessary.

FliesLikeABrick
May 5, 2006, 3:25 am
just buy a wireless router. configuring this to work this way will take far more work and confusion than preferable, though I've done this before. I'm too busy nowadays to help with it, but if I needed this for anything, I'd just break down and buy a wireless router, or a wireless access point to plug into the router I already have

vash763
May 5, 2006, 4:25 am
^Probably your best/easiest bet.

edak
May 5, 2006, 7:35 am
You will need a x-over cable and connect the two computers that way. Secondly you need to bridge the connections in the 'network connections' screen, activate ICS (Internet connection Sharing), assign an ip address to the machine that doesn't clash with your router's IP pool and then you MAY have a chance, but really it's a bad idea because many problems can be faced along the way.

bja888
May 5, 2006, 2:08 pm
routers will not connect 2 computers (the right way). You need a switch.

FliesLikeABrick
May 5, 2006, 4:14 pm
I don't think he would need a crossover cable for what he is trying to do.... it sounds like he is trying to connect one computer directly to the other with wireless, not wired.

edak
May 5, 2006, 11:58 pm
no, he has wireless on one computer which gets the internet from a wireless router (stolen wireless?) and he wants to share it with his other computer via ethernet. the only way is a bridge as far as i know