( search forums )
Official Map Packs
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Flanagan
March 18, 2003, 9:32 pm
What are your views on these? Would you like them or dislike them

I woudl perfer an auto downloader feature, but I don't know if Michal plans on integrating that.

Flanagan
April 2, 2003, 9:48 am
sorry 'bout that duke, I completely missed that post.

@ the maps, you can't submit someone else's work, maps that have been previously entered into the Map Packs. You can submitt any of your maps. If you are just releasing them for the Map Pack, than thats ok, or you could have released it for 1.05b than converted it to 1.1x It doesn't matter. :)

I'll see if Styx can rig up something like SX3 for these. How should the pic of the maps be submitted? Just by anyone, but that could clog up the system, just by me, what if I'm too busy? could you offer a suggestion on this as well.

Try to think up some changes to the time, I just threw those numbers out there.

N1nj@
April 5, 2003, 12:27 am
i say find some1 that is reliable and trustful and active and not busy to do that SX3 thingy

Duke33
April 7, 2003, 12:07 am
The process should be this:

The maps are submitted by the maker/s. They would be greatly encouraged to submit maps that have been tested quite alot for bugs and so on, and that were asthetically pleasing to the eye. If a map maker submits a map that has either a)lots of bugs or b)some really big bugs or c)both, then they will be penalised in some way. The maker/s couldeither test the maps themsleves or could post it on the forums for other members to test, prior to submitting.

The mpas will become availible to vote for in your voting list. The voting list would be acessible to you, and you be all the maps for the currant map pack that you have not yet voted for. Upon clicking on the map link thingy to vote for it, a new window would come up. In it would be, say, 10 thumbnmails of screensohts of the key points and places of the maps. The thumbnails would be able to be enlargened. As well there would be a little scale fro 1-10 (like in sx3) and you could check one off. Once you have checked off the box and pressed okay, your vote would be sent to a counter, and then you would be no longer able to vote for that map again.

Now,after say 2 weeks of voting, and with one week left til release of the map pack, the mods/ whoever the trustd minions are would lookat the votes and the maps. The maps that have low amounts of votes would be elinated. Then, the mods/turested minions would look at the fnal amount of maps (this number would depend upon the amount of maps submitte dand how many maps got really high votes). They would recommend say 4 or 3 or to Michal. Since only 3 maps would be needed (one for PM, DM, Rambo, TM, one for CTf and one for Inf) Michal could look at the finalist maps, and judge whether they arw worthy of becoming part of SOldat. Then, once the royal approval has fallen, then they will be incorperated into that months map pack.

This whoel process would tak around 3-4 weeks-2 weeks for voting, 1-2 weeks for the mods and Michal.

Now, im not any good at prgramming and stuff, so i dont know how hard the process that i have suggersted above would be to create. Perhaps someone could tell me?

sauron_the_deceiver
April 16, 2003, 7:53 pm
1. I think that there should be an equal amount of DM TM and CTF maps in each month, because many more CTF maps are made than the others.
2. People shouldn't be able to vote on their own map.
3. Every month a map pack should be released. At the end of the year, the best of the best should be compiled together as the OFFICIAL map pack for that year. Obviously the months could be D/Led, but people could download the main maps for the year straight in one pack. Maybe the yearly map packs could be downloaded with Soldat itself, as some of the release maps.
4. I was gonna say I would happily look for worthy maps but seems I need votes. Buggeration.

EvilLaugh
April 24, 2003, 7:52 am
my opinons to those
1. Its Impossible to get an equal ammount of map types for a Map pack. Usually it comes down to what type of mission that gets the most attention gets the most room on the Map Pack. Example, Tribes 2 maps are usually just CTF map packs. simply because its the most favoured type of game.

2.I agree with.

3.EVERY MONTH?? There aint enough maps produced to keep up with that. no way. I say around Every 3 months at most. Map making isnt popular yet though since there aint no Map Pack to submit them for. So it honestly depends on how many maps are made : )

4. Ive already been looking over some of the maps and ive got an opinion of some maps id like to see in the map packs : )

Flanagan
April 25, 2003, 10:42 pm
Map packs can be produced whenever enough maps are submitted. It might require 2 months to get enough maps to make a pack, we can be flexible that way.

Duke33
April 26, 2003, 1:46 am
THANK GOD. I was wondering when this topic would come back up again. Anyway, yeah, better flexible that rigid rules, becuase yeah sometimes it takes a long time to get enoguh good maps.

So, whats the verdict on this idea Michal/Flanagan/God? Will it pass? Or will it be condemned to spend eternity in the archives? i ahve put alot of work into this thread, and if it fails meesa be dissapointed......

Nate
May 12, 2003, 8:30 am
Here is my submission:

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=4194

[:D]

enjoyincubus
May 23, 2003, 1:56 am
Well, if you guys haven't noticed yet, Flanagan has left his throne of mapping moderator, and the new torchbearer is me.

I would really like to see these map packs made, and I am ready to start. So, let me lay down my ideas, and let you guys make some input. Then, after approval from DNA.styx and Michal, I will start.

Remember that these ideas are just interim, but I think they are really good, and I'll stand behind them (for the most part).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OFFICIAL MAP PACK INTERIM RULES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) The Official Soldat Mapper Squad will be composed of 7-15 top mappers. All must be very good with mapping, using good techniques and should have good maps to prove themselves. They should be intelligent people. They will be the ones who do all the judging of maps.

2) There will not be a site for submitting maps. Instead, all maps will be sent to one email address. At that time, the official mappers will have access to them. By the middle of the month, all the entrants must be recieved. The mappers quickly go through, just checking for extremely terrible or buggy maps. If 3 or more mappers agree that the map is too terrible, it is thrown out.

3) Everyone is allowed to enter one map into the competition each month. If someone is caught or accused of entering under two separate names, they will be banned from all future contests. That's your warning....

4) The mappers will have a rubric to grade on. It will go on a scale 1-10, and they will grade on Appearance, Playability/layout, Shading, and maybe one more thing.

5) The top 5-6 map scores (each mappers score from 1-10 is added to the total) will be included in the map pack.

6) After this is all complete, every member of the squad will be allowed his/her comments on the months map in a brief paragraph, which will be included in a notepad readme file. The map pack will be zipped up and uploaded to the official map pack website, for everyone to download and enjoy the top maps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This concludes what I have to say; feel free to elaborate on it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shadow

Duke33
May 24, 2003, 2:31 am
Firstly, no, i didnt notice and congrats on your new postition. Thanks for bringing up the OMP topci agian--i put a whole bunch of effort into thinking of stuff. I agree with all your rules, except that bot waypointts, and good ones, are necessary for submission. Also, i thinnk that it might be hard for the judging group to properly have consenuses without using this fourum site. Therfore, i think that a whole new section should be made just for the judging group, and they should have to have a whole login process to get in. There they would be able to talk about the udging

enjoyincubus
May 24, 2003, 2:58 am
You know that section down near the bottom? It's a little forum part called "Soldat Mappers Guild". That place was where 7 talented mappers got together and did w/e good mappers do.

Well, only one of those members has posted since the end of April...so that place is dead.

What I want to do is move these judges in there, and that would be our retreat. I have a site up already, and when I talk to Michal next I am going to bring this up. Hopefully he will approve of it then, and we can start!

Btw, Duke, I wrote the same exact thing on the sticky at the top...I think I am going to lock this and just keep the one that I stickied open, so we can filter the new ideas up there. ;)

Shadow