( search forums )
Ctf_Evening Chasm (Updated still no wypts)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Pride
May 7, 2006, 5:22 am
...:::Credits:::...
Polys: Scourge
Advanced Polys: Paradigm
Scenery: Scourge
In-depth Scenery: Paradigm
Shading: Paradigm and Scourge
Spawns: Paradigm
Wypts: N/A

Me and Scourge started this map quite a long time ago and never really got to releasing it, so now we are. Yay! I'm not sure where some of the scenery is from so credit goes to whoever claims it. I hope you like it.

OverView
OoO's pic-RMXD
Download

And check out my new inf map Inf_Fettered

iDante
May 7, 2006, 6:12 am
Nice... without waypoints it isn't very fun though cause (I dont think) you can get to the enemy base and kill bots...
Its cool.

OutofOrder
May 7, 2006, 6:58 am
This is a nice picture:
[IMAGE]

And it can be much nicer. I think a good idea would be to concentrate many trees on small areas, like bunches of trees together, instead of have them all scattered everywhere. This screenshot would be better with a couple more trees on it. I'm assuming you've reached the 500 scenery limit... just by looking at those brigdes :P If not, then you could just place more trees. :)
Anyway, the whole black-red constrast is a very nice touch. Keep that up.
Also, those are some cute clouds ;) And i think those supports would fit better if they were the least noticeable you could make them.
About shading: you could give the land a slight redish touch. It feels quite off right now.

As for gameplay, i'd stick with normal-ctf instead of reverse-ctf for this map. The layout is simple but effective: i like how you can't return to the bases, forcing the player to concentrate on the battle, without spawncamping.
Of course, nothing can beat a good m79 boost... xD

Pride
May 7, 2006, 7:03 am
I actually have about 150 open sceneries so I'll fill some in. I'll also shade the land etc.

Edit:
You may want to wait a bit to d/l it because I forgot Item spawns...

Norris Scott
May 7, 2006, 7:26 am
That is probably one of the most clever ideas for a CTF map that I've seen. Bravo, looks fun as hell man :)

However, I'd suggest flipping the flag placements, as it would make the battles alot more fun (both teams can literally leap onto the opposition's flag, but have to cross back to cap and fight off oncoming attackers.)

Right now, the person just sorta has to double-back underground to get to the flag, and that adds a bit more unnecessary effort. I think it'd be better with the flags flipped.

Pride
May 7, 2006, 7:48 am
Ok, I flipped the flags, added spawns, multiplied the trees, and colored the soil.

DeMonIc
May 7, 2006, 10:50 am
It's hard to give you constructive criticism: the aesthetics are rad, the layout is daring.

I liked your old bridges better though: these seem a bit pale. The flag areas could look better as caves, without trees, with some depth-like backgrounds and wooden supports. Also, for the forest, tree sceneries can be used to make pretty cool bushes ( see ctf_Equinox for example ). The spikes look a bit silly, but overall it's a great map.

CardBoardWarrior
May 9, 2006, 3:04 pm
Another nice map, looks great, I like the background

Deleted User
May 17, 2006, 7:13 am
As much as i hate to revive a ten-day old thread, i must say i love this map. The layout is actually very intresting, providing some unique gameplay for realistic mode. I've actually captured the enemy flag and gone into the lowerchasm to do some suprise knifing until the way is clear. Oh yeah, the map is pretty to look at too.

Soulsnipa
May 19, 2006, 9:29 am
Very nice you seem to have a very nice style, perhaps thinking about releasing a mappack of these "blacked out" maps.

I would however like to see a new style, less death and blood red in your maps and more lively colors. Maybe just one would be nice to see how you handle it. All I remember your maps being are red background, or red outside, and black.

Deleted User
May 19, 2006, 2:42 pm
I like your maps, the color scheme is soft yet "intense" in a soldat-kind of way.

Boxo
May 21, 2006, 6:30 pm
The idea is nice and it looks ok, but some criticism:

-The bridges are horribly buggy, can be fixed by making them thicker.
-It's easy to get back to the surface with just a nadejump, even easier with an m79, and on a stalemate this will ruin the game.
-The sun looks kind of silly.
-The flag falling down the pit all the time and trying to get it back could be very annoying with many people playing.

Raptor
May 23, 2006, 2:09 pm
Truthfully...

Maps are getting boring and boring every day. There are no nice gameplays anymore. They've become something else... like... ART.

(not insulting this map)

Does anybody has an old mappack?

Pride
May 24, 2006, 12:16 am
Raptor: I actually agree, My favorite map out of all the ones I've played I'd have to say is Ctf_Laos and that default. I try to make something about the gameplay in all my maps different, but it's hard because there have already been a lot of different themes and layouts used.

Raptor
May 24, 2006, 3:00 am
It's true, and if you use them now, people would tell you that you are "copying" maps and that you should come up with your own style. My favorite map ever was CTF_Ionu, and where is it now?
Anyways, I think in the future the soldat map maker will come with a brush and some canvas xD

Boxo
May 24, 2006, 2:18 pm
continuing derail ...

I completely agree with you Raptor, for once. Most maps released nowadays are just boring scenery wankery and showing off your cool graphics. It's like nobody actually means for people to play their maps, so no wonder nobody does.

Are you going to fix this map Pride? It could be nifty.

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 3:35 pm
I don't have time to download just yet, but it looks awesome from the screen.
The shading is pretty cool. And it looks like it has great gameplay.

Ivel
May 27, 2006, 4:07 pm
I like it :-D I like how it looks like a sunset, although im not download it :\