( search forums )
Shutter Speed - Aperture - Focus and Click!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Hitman
May 10, 2006, 1:20 pm
Although I am going into Filmmaking, Photography is something I do on the side as a hobby. However, recently I've become more serious and bought myself a Sony Cybershot M1 and although it was a good camera it wasn't exactly what I needed.

The follow pictures were unfortunately not taken on the highest quality setting, as I only realised after the fact that I could increase it. Furthermore, these images have been compressed so I could upload them and as a result are of diminished quality.

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/1359/DSCF0670Large.th.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=DSCF0543Large.jpg">[IMG]http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9548/DSCF0543Large.th.jpg" style="color: blue;">[IMAGE]
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/6762/DSCF0664Large.th.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=DSCF0567Large.jpg">[IMG]http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/7739/DSCF0567Large.th.jpg" style="color: blue;">[IMAGE]

These pictures are just my attempts at becoming a better photographer; I'm still learning. I'd also be interested in seeing other people's work if there is anybody here who does some photography?

Tha Doggfather
May 10, 2006, 4:23 pm
For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I like this one most.

It might be the color composition..

.alex.oner.
May 10, 2006, 6:09 pm
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

i use to have a lomo colour-splash, until i got into photography seriously and got a pentax mz-50, which stupidly i left out in the rain.. im not sure if it is broken or has ran out of batterys though! i easily have atleast 500 developed photos, but obviously i dont have time to scan them all in.. keep playing around with all the setting n stuff with your slr, and take multiple photos of the same thing but with different settings and see what the diffence is.. now i just take photos with my dads digi which isnt too bad, but is nothing compared to my old slr..

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

.alex.oner.
May 12, 2006, 7:54 am
some more i took yesterday..

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Hitman
May 12, 2006, 10:25 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Tha DoggfatherFor some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I like this one most.

It might be the colour composition..

Well, that's a typical London telephone box for ya.

Alexoner, I like some of your pictures, especially this one. Thanks for the advice, although that's what I've already been doing. I've ordered some filters and a tripod though (for like a 3rd of the price - yay) so I'm looking forward to using them!

I'm staggered at the complete lack of interest in this thread, I'm sure there must be some more people that do some photography in this forum.

Melba
May 12, 2006, 2:49 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Tha DoggfatherFor some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I like this one most.

It might be the color composition..

Sexy oriental
bisexual male
All services

zaraza
May 12, 2006, 5:25 pm
Hitman, those are preety damn good photos. Especialy i like pictures of "abandoned" places. I find there inspiration for UnrealTournament map :)

peemonkey
May 12, 2006, 5:54 pm
I love you hitman.

Vijchtidoodah
May 13, 2006, 1:01 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Hitman[quote][i]I'm staggered at the complete lack of interest in this thread, I'm sure there must be some more people that do some photography in this forum.

Yeah, there was another photography thread about a week ago. Here are my contributions to the world of an amateur.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

My brother on an escalator. Downtown San Diego.

[IMAGE]

This is the building next door. My brother was driving and I told him to stop so I could take the picture. Unfortunately for the other people on the road, we stopped right in the middle of an intersection as I leaned out the window for this shot. No time to frame it properly or anything, but it seems to have turned out alright.

[IMAGE]

Nothing special, just the same escalators from earlier.

[IMAGE]

My father holding his mother's hand in Clairemont, San Diego.

[IMAGE]

My grandmother. Someone said something about the light being on her right hand, which is the hand of God, and how that's such an amazing picture because of it. I think it's cool just because she's old and wrinkly.

Most of these pictures are faded around the edges because they're self-developed and then scanned into the computer. The last one with my grandmother especially because I didn't have time in the darkroom to fix the glow caused by the light coming in from the window and, since I was rushed, I also forgot to place the picture in the enlarger properly so light seeped in on the corners.

These were all taken several years ago (on a Minolta Maxxim 5, if you must know) when I got really into photography. Nowadays I'd like to go out on photography trips but none of my friends are really artsy (for shame) and won't come out with me for them.

lithium
May 13, 2006, 2:51 am
I love black-and-white photos.

Deleted User
May 13, 2006, 3:08 am
I really like the hands one Vich

Drink Bloody Water
May 13, 2006, 3:18 am
Wow, thats some really deep stuff...

Deleted User
May 16, 2006, 10:15 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah[quote]Originally posted by Hitman[quote][i]I'm staggered at the complete lack of interest in this thread, I'm sure there must be some more people that do some photography in this forum.

Yeah, i made that. It failed miserably. ;__;

I'll take and upload some pictures later on today (it's 5am now, bedtime)

Rhombus
May 16, 2006, 3:02 pm
I'm prolly going to buy a camera soon. You WILL see some stuff by then ^^.

mar77a
May 16, 2006, 3:07 pm
holy cow...

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

shoover
May 16, 2006, 5:46 pm
The one thing that i just have problem when im trying to take pictures for my photo-tech class is when i use light.

For some reason, i just cant get the hang of using adobe elements 4 and photoshop CS to either get the pictures much darker or to get just less light let out. (used to use SLR, but because of some developing errors i switched to digital)

So, i shoot at about dusk. I turn on flash it depends on where the sunset is at. And thats pretty much my story with why me and cameras suck at life.

Rhombus
May 16, 2006, 6:28 pm
BTW:
http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=DSCF0664Large.jpg is now my new desktop.
I LOVE it....
How did you do it?

Hitman
May 16, 2006, 6:59 pm
I like your pictures, Vij, although I'm not a great fan of black and white photos. With some photos, having them in black and white or sepia is beautiful (example) and go with the mood and style you're try to create, but most of the time I find that they are an easy way to make a "good" looking photo. Change most black and white photos into colour and they look awful.  Quote:Originally posted by RhombusBTW:
http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=DSCF0664Large.jpg is now my new desktop.
I LOVE it....
How did you do it?

It's a rather simple photo. Seeing as I didn't have a tripod at the time (I do now ? expect more [better] photos similar to that one) I placed the camera on a bin next to the bus stop, closed the aperture to F2.8 and adjusted the exposure to 10 seconds, took the photo and jumped on the bus when it finished taking it. Hah.

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you the uncompressed, full resolution picture of the one you have now. It's far better quality. In fact, if anybody would like any of the originals feel free to PM me your e-mail address including which one you'd like and I will send it to you.

Vijchtidoodah
May 17, 2006, 12:21 am
Eh, I don't have much choice in the matter because I don't know how to develop color pictures other than buying special software and a scanner -- both of which kill the fun of self-developing.

UGK
May 17, 2006, 12:46 am
Mmm...love the phone-booth...

rabidhamster
May 17, 2006, 12:50 am
Everyone will flame me for saying something digital-related, but... does anyone know if the Canon PowerShot G6 is any good?

Rhombus
May 17, 2006, 7:53 am
Of course we won't flame you for it :)
I've read some screenshots about the powershot g6... they all say it's a superb camera. But yeah... for 670 bucks... I would want no less than superb

Deleted User
May 19, 2006, 12:51 am
Backyard
Flower
Flower 2
Another Flower
Flowers
My dog.

I have a cheap, non-brand name Digital Camera. All of theses were taken a couple minutes ago except the one of my dog. Some of them are a bit blurry.

p.s. this are really impressive. Nice work.

rabidhamster
May 21, 2006, 7:48 pm
Just took a couple this morning.

Flowers
Flowers, enhanced contrast
Makeshift bridge
Makeshift bridge, grayscale with enhanced contrast
Grass, enhanced contrast
Monarda
Monarda, enhanced contrast
Monarda, enhanced contrast with glow

Edit: I'm using my sister's crap camera by the way.

Hitman
May 23, 2006, 5:12 pm
We all start somewhere : )

I've been reading up on post-processing photos in Photoshop, which allows you to adjust the colour balance, saturation and contrast, etc. One photographer who achieves this beautifully is Kathleen Connally, who runs her own website; best pictures. I really envy her surroundings. Not only does she have the skills in Photoshop and when it comes to taking the pictures, but her environment supplies her with an infinite amount of colours to bring out in postproduction.

I've started shooting in RAW format and then adjusting said settings in Photoshop. I'm still learning but here's an example of my efforts:

RAW format:

[IMAGE]

Processed:

[IMAGE]

Vijchtidoodah
May 23, 2006, 8:44 pm
Great job. I've always been interested in learning how to do that.

Hitman
May 25, 2006, 4:48 pm
Thanks. To be honest, I didn't really know what I was doing; I just moved the sliders around till I kinda got the effect I wanted. Was pretty much trail and error.

I've started my own website on which to publish my photos. It's the first website I've ever made and it was pretty easy. I made it using the new Google Page Creator, about which I found a nice little e-mail sitting in my inbox this morning from Google. Unfortunately, I am using a template at the moment, but it's alright. Hopefully they will soon let you make your own, although if there's any coding involved I'm [CENSORED]ed.

I was amazingly original and decided to name my site after this topic: Shutter Speed - Aperture - Focus and Click. For those interested (hah), from now on all future (decent) photos that I take will be put on that site followed by a cute little description below.