( search forums )
[All Game Types] Ground Patrol
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
carnageX
May 12, 2006, 12:53 am
Ground Patrol

Screenshot: [URL]
Download: [URL]

Well, I worked quite a while on this one. I added a little more scenary than I usually do, and made this my first real multi-game type map. I also used an orange color for around the torches, because white light wouldn't have looked very good. So what do you guys think of this one's layout, shading, etc.? Also, if somebody would have enough time to waypoint this map, either PM me, or send me an IM on one of my messengers, so we can work out the details =).

Eagles_Arrows
May 12, 2006, 2:07 am
I'd waypoint it, but the layout's just too damn much.

carnageX
May 12, 2006, 2:53 am
Lol, its ok. But, what do you think of the layout and such? Anything I should improve upon?

Eagles_Arrows
May 12, 2006, 6:29 am
If you look at maps such as Daybreak and Bigfalls, you will immediately notice a circular route around the map. Perhaps you could manipulate some polys here and there so that there will be something like it.

OutofOrder
May 13, 2006, 12:56 am
If i click on your download link, it opens a new window and takes me back to this thread..... weird. :X Please fix that.

Anyway you must have guts to dare use pomarancz as a texture on ANY map xD
Not only that, you have some serious guts to make a map that supports all game types. Not because i think it's hard or impossible, but because is usually not adviceable.
If you first thought the map for a single or a couple of gametypes, then thought it could fit the rest, then that's fine. Although this doesn't look like a ctf map for me.

carnageX
May 13, 2006, 1:32 am
The download works for me.... It comes up as the download box =\.

And why do you say that I need guts to use pomarancz as a texture? I didn't think it looked that bad on that map =\.

Quote:If you first thought the map for a single or a couple of gametypes, then thought it could fit the rest, then that's fine
That's pretty much what I figured. It wasn't that bad when I ran a test through it, but, meh.

Soulsnipa
May 19, 2006, 9:37 am
hmmm where to start

The map is just way too triangly. Let me guess, youve made around 1-5 maps before? Most peoples first maps look like this, nice ATTEMPT on shading however you still have work to do.

On the plus, it does actually look pretty decent. However I've never been a fan of that texture. Work on your smoothing, shading, and layout design a bit more.

Deleted User
May 19, 2006, 2:43 pm
Yea, maybe stretch the textures so it doesn't look like they were cut out from a sheet, otherwise you're on the right track.

carnageX
May 20, 2006, 1:55 am
 Quote:The map is just way too triangly. Let me guess, youve made around 1-5 maps before? Most peoples first maps look like this, nice ATTEMPT on shading however you still have work to do.

Yeah, this is my 3rd map. Heh... I got better comments on shading on my first ever map XD.

Quote:Yea, maybe stretch the textures so it doesn't look like they were cut out from a sheet, otherwise you're on the right track.
Alright... I'll try that when I start on another map. Thanks =).

Hopefully I get better comments on the next map I produce =\.

Soulsnipa
May 20, 2006, 2:19 am
im glad you chose to start another map rather then trying to fix this one. I believe that just making maps over and over you get better eventually.

Raptor
May 23, 2006, 2:20 pm
^That's why I never fixed my maps no matter how bad people begged me for doing it...

Ivel
May 27, 2006, 4:06 pm
Loving it <3 I like the color green in maps and i like the texture