( search forums )
Connection Problem
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
wilkystyle
May 13, 2006, 1:46 am
I'm running a dedicated server from my home computer, and every time someone joins, it gives them a "connection error" after about 3 seconds, and they're frozen.

It was working earlier today for a match, which is strange.

I even tried just starting a non-dedicated game on the host computer, and even though I could play perfectly fine, everyone else would get a connection error, and get disconnected.

EDIT:
I just noticed that after the player is frozen, and right before they get disconnected, the message history is flooded with the "Connection error" message.

mar77a
May 13, 2006, 3:27 am
It could be a problem with a firewall or router. Can you give us more information on how the connection is set, what server are you running, etc?

wilkystyle
May 13, 2006, 6:09 am
I have a firewall, but the problem was the same with it on, as well as with it off. The interesting thing is, this afternoon, it was working just fine with the firewall on, and i was able to host a match that lasted a couple hours.

Also, I'm behind a router, but (as specified in the manual) I have port forwarding for port 23073 as well as 23083.

I'm so lost.

EDIT:
I feel like such a moron. Here's what I found out:

Since I have the dedicated server set up on one of the computers on my network, I had the aforementioned ports forwarded to that particular computer. When I got on one of the other computers on the network, I was having problems because I was trying to connect to the WAN ip of the server. I believe the problem was that I was trying to host AND join the server from two different computers, on the same WAN ip, even though port 23073 was already forwarded to the HOST computer.

When I tried connecting to the server VIA the internal (lan) ip, everything worked fine. I noticed that i had 7 players from the internet in my server at the time, and they were playing just fine.

Oh well. Back to solving the real problems on the board.