( search forums )
Hmm, Linux?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Deleted User
May 16, 2006, 10:10 am
Yay or nay? I might try it out of boredom.

Zero72
May 16, 2006, 10:22 am
I definitely wouldn't do it for boredom's sake.

Deleted User
May 16, 2006, 10:56 am
Yay
BUT
Linux is no good unless your hosting servers.

FliesLikeABrick
May 16, 2006, 2:43 pm
certain distrobutions are awesome on desktops, I use ubuntu and gentoo on my desktops and I absolutely love it <3

_Mancer_
May 19, 2006, 9:47 pm
I know 0.01% about linux. What the hell is it?

The only thing I know about it is that its 'open source' which means you can code what you want.

Still, why is it so useful?

Deleted User
May 19, 2006, 10:14 pm
Linux is an open source OS.

I've heard somethings about it being a couple hundred million times better than windows. But if i use linux, then no Soldat. 'Tis not worth it.

FliesLikeABrick
May 19, 2006, 11:16 pm
... so why not use both? I have windows installed on my laptop just for games, and that is the only time I use it

Ok
May 20, 2006, 12:04 am
Well some ppl can only afford 1 computer.

Linux is a no no for games.. so if you use your computer for games alot.. then forget about linux.
Linux is a much more stable OS, ofcourse anything that safe and stable is also that boring and annoying , just like comparing vegetables to candy..
Fact is, Windows is much more user friendly, its also much easier to get help with using windows since its the common OS...
Linux is just for cases when you REALLY need a reliable computer that doesnt crash.. so for private use, for games, I wouldn't reccomand it.

Ofcourse if you have enough money you can have 2 computers.
I wish we could have 2 bodies, that would be awesome!!!

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 1:07 am
 Quote:Originally posted by OkWell some ppl can only afford 1 computer.

Linux is a no no for games.. so if you use your computer for games alot.. then forget about linux.
Linux is a much more stable OS, ofcourse anything that safe and stable is also that boring and annoying , just like comparing vegetables to candy..
Fact is, Windows is much more user friendly, its also much easier to get help with using windows since its the common OS...
Linux is just for cases when you REALLY need a reliable computer that doesnt crash.. so for private use, for games, I wouldn't reccomand it.

Ofcourse if you have enough money you can have 2 computers.
I wish we could have 2 bodies, that would be awesome!!!

this is basically why i'm not going to use it

frogboy
May 20, 2006, 1:16 am
You can use Windows and Linux on the same computer. Linux isn't that bad for games, as long as you know how to use WINE/Cedega and set up your graphics drivers. Plus, a few of the newer distros have Compiz and GNOME which are far more user-friendly than Windows, IMO. There are tons of features in both that I'd probably use in Windows.

It is more difficult to set up though, mainly because of video card drivers. Neither Nvidia nor ATI provide open-source drivers.

FliesLikeABrick
May 20, 2006, 1:39 am
yeah, if you read what I said you would see that I was referring to having linux and windows installed on one computer

edit:

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=34093
^ funny thing, because I was just reading an article about how someone reviewed Ubuntu's wireless interfaces and compared them to Windows wireless and network management, said they were far superior ;)

n00bface
May 20, 2006, 1:58 am
 Quote:its also much easier to get help with using windows since its the common OS...
Wrong. It's much easier to get help with Linux because everybody who uses it is a [CENSORED]ing geek who knows everything about anything technical.

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 2:19 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickyeah, if you read what I said you would see that I was referring to having linux and windows installed on one computer

edit:

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=34093
^ funny thing, because I was just reading an article about how someone reviewed Ubuntu's wireless interfaces and compared them to Windows wireless and network management, said they were far superior ;)

that would be very convincing if i hadn't called comcast to come change my internet situation.

I also just found out about "bootloaders," which allows you to change your OS when booting.
If i decide to run a server ever (which i'm planning to) i may get linux, or maybe another computer for the hell of it

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 2:29 am
Ubuntu!