( search forums )
Server Lag, What could be involved?
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server discussion
shoover
May 16, 2006, 12:39 pm
Let me Explain to you my home network.

It contains 4 computers. 2 are connected via wired. and 2 are connected via wireless.

1 of them connected is for my mom's computer
1 of them connected is for my soldat server

1 of them connected via wireless is my dad's basement
1 of them connected via wireless is my own compute rin my room downstairs.

Now, on the soldat server, i run it in suse linux 10, and for some reason when i try playing soldat from my own computer, no lag. none. But when i play on my own server. It lags big time.

Does anybody know why this happens?

Deleted User
May 16, 2006, 8:41 pm
because the servers you play on are hosted on fast 10Mbit lines and your server is hosted off a home line with very little upload speed.

shoover
May 16, 2006, 9:24 pm
My upload speed is 768K

chrisgbk
May 16, 2006, 11:32 pm
What are your settings for your server? Unfortunately, 768K is not a lot, and can't handle very many people. I have approx. 500-600, and I can handle only about 4-5 people before they start lagging a lot.

Aegis
May 17, 2006, 4:58 am
Isn't there something about connecting to your own external ip address that causes soldatserver to start lagging? Or am I thinking of a different issue? In any case, try connecting through your local network ip if you're using the external (using the lobby will make you use external)

FliesLikeABrick
May 17, 2006, 6:27 am
are you talking about playing on your own server from the computer running it, or talking about playing on your own server from anywhere in the house?

shoover
May 17, 2006, 12:39 pm
To chris: Ive handled up to 12 before i start to lag the entire server.

To Aegis: I think something about bandwith and my ip address not my external

To Flies: Playing on my own server from anywhere (I thought we went over this)

FliesLikeABrick
May 17, 2006, 8:07 pm
what IP address are you using to join the server?

shoover
May 17, 2006, 8:16 pm
24.12.121.227:23073 This is what it is when you highlight my server, and how you get in it. This also applies to me, i highlight my server, it shows this address

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=34038

^ This is another topic i posted about my server, if it helps ^

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=34045

^ You were talking about 64-bit computer and how that error applies, well my server runs off amd-64 (Or at least thats what linux says it is, even though its not [Amd sempron 3100+] <- not 64-bit :P)

FliesLikeABrick
May 17, 2006, 9:48 pm
try joining your own server using the local IP address of that machine, not the IP assigned to your internet connection

edit:there is a difference between running a 64 bit kernel and running a 64 bit userland. I was trying to run both when I got that error

shoover
May 17, 2006, 9:58 pm
you mean instead of soldat://24.12.121.227:23073 i should goto soldat://192.168.2.148:23073

ill try that thanks

ok now i want to use soldat ARSSE and not have that problem. So is there a way i can do that? If i will, ill edit the source code and recompile it if theres no way now.

Edit: Too many connection problems, the lag is less but when i ahve those it freezes the server aswell.