( search forums )
Polygons blowing up
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
khoacalacan
May 18, 2006, 8:18 pm
YOu should like when you shoot the ground/box/rocks/walls it blows up and like it starts falling and hits you. If theres already a post about this, please delete/lock this one

Deleted User
May 18, 2006, 9:16 pm
Many people don't realize that if polygons degraded/exploded, there'd be a lot more polybugs to deal with, and eventually the map would become unplayable.

Once a map is loaded into Soldat, its framework (polygons, sceneries, etc.) are all "permanent" and unchangeable. This is by design and would require a great deal of rewriting just to achieve what we want (destroyable polygons). Even if it was done, anyone who plays enough Soldat knows that eventually the ground would cease to exist and you'd all just be free-falling, spawning over and over again. Or fighting over this tiny chunk of land.

CardBoardWarrior
May 18, 2006, 9:30 pm
..which sounds like a lot of fun :D

But on a serious note, nah, not gonna happen.

khoacalacan
May 18, 2006, 10:51 pm
Not the land, I meant like the boxes and barrels you know those small things only

Eagles_Arrows
May 18, 2006, 11:20 pm
Like no way, that would like bring some like coding complications.

iDante
May 19, 2006, 5:01 am
maybe just make a kind of polywood that could be named wood and can be cut with saw and burned with flamer and blown with m79 and nades. while it would be fun, it could add quite a bit of fun to the game I think

MOFO NOFO
May 19, 2006, 6:42 am
Now you just wrecked it.

Soulsnipa
May 19, 2006, 7:09 am
maybe some trees that blowup and instant kill

Deleted User
May 19, 2006, 2:40 pm
Or maybe random mailboxes of death.

MOFO NOFO
May 19, 2006, 3:16 pm
Lol when i heard this idea i thought of worms instantly.

jettlarue
May 22, 2006, 1:05 am
yeah it reminds me of worms too

Deleted User
May 22, 2006, 1:18 am
What if like on worms (im thinking Worms Armageddon), the bullets make craters that you would normaly expect to come from a 30mm weapon. Just imagine how fast the arena will turn into a podium XD

Eagles_Arrows
May 22, 2006, 2:08 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SDFilmWhat if like on worms (im thinking Worms Armageddon), the bullets make craters that you would normaly expect to come from a 30mm weapon. Just imagine how fast the arena will turn into a podium XD

DUDE that'd be awesome! I'm PMing MM about it right away!!!

Jermies
May 22, 2006, 7:05 am
Wouldn't this lag servers with Minis enabled even more?
I think it's a bad idea... it would lag dm so much :|

HYPERFUNKBOT
May 25, 2006, 5:23 pm
This idea sucks.

Knowing the nazi-like moderators on this forum, this thread will probably be locked. Why? It's not like having a thread like this hurts anybody. It's not like having this thread will somehow magically implement this into soldat and make your game suck. Just let the poor noobs dream.

Before anyone says that this is "impossible" to program, as I'm sure someone will, I'm going to input my 2 cents. It's not impossible. I'm a programmer. I know. It's DIFFICULT. It would require major rewrites of soldat's polygon code to have all polygons like this, and all existing maps and weapons and gameplay would have to be completely rethought. However, to have a NEW separate kind of polygon, one that's destructable, would also require much programming, but would not require a rewrite. But nonetheless, it would still require much code. This does not mean it's impossible. It is not impossible, it's just stupidly pointlessly difficult. I would prefer that in the future, people would refrain from commenting about technical matters in which they have no knowledge. Don't say that it's impossible.

Tybs
May 25, 2006, 10:24 pm
I dont recall anyone saying that it was impossible...

Deleted User
May 25, 2006, 10:30 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_Arrows Quote:Originally posted by SDFilmWhat if like on worms (im thinking Worms Armageddon), the bullets make craters that you would normaly expect to come from a 30mm weapon. Just imagine how fast the arena will turn into a podium XD

You knew I was kidding right XD

Nobody wants to fight on a podium

a-4-year-old
May 25, 2006, 11:00 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOTThis idea sucks.

Knowing the nazi-like moderators on this forum, this thread will probably be locked. Why? It's not like having a thread like this hurts anybody. It's not like having this thread will somehow magically implement this into soldat and make your game suck. Just let the poor noobs dream.

Before anyone says that this is "impossible" to program, as I'm sure someone will, I'm going to input my 2 cents. It's not impossible. I'm a programmer. I know. It's DIFFICULT. It would require major rewrites of soldat's polygon code to have all polygons like this, and all existing maps and weapons and gameplay would have to be completely rethought. However, to have a NEW separate kind of polygon, one that's destructable, would also require much programming, but would not require a rewrite. But nonetheless, it would still require much code. This does not mean it's impossible. It is not impossible, it's just stupidly pointlessly difficult. I would prefer that in the future, people would refrain from commenting about technical matters in which they have no knowledge. Don't say that it's impossible.

Ok listen up, you have been hippieing around for long enough. You can dream while playing soldat, or driving your car, you can dream while brushing your teeth, and unless the dream can actually happen in the near future without the huge amount of pure wasted time that would be spent on making it happen, WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR DREAMS SOLDAT WILL NOT HAVE DESTRUCTABLE POLYGONS AND IF I HAVE TO SAY THIS TO ONE OTHER RETARD ON THESE FORUMS I WILL BE SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF.

TACKLEbeast666
May 25, 2006, 11:28 pm
say it again to me, i didn't read all that clear enough, my computer is uh...lagging and messing with me, it won't let me read that post.

a-4-year-old
May 26, 2006, 2:07 am
-_-

polygons in their current state cannot be changed during a game, therefor they cannot explode at all without some serious ammounts of coding being done.

HYPERFUNKBOT
May 26, 2006, 3:56 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old
Ok listen up, you have been hippieing around for long enough. You can dream while playing soldat, or driving your car, you can dream while brushing your teeth, and unless the dream can actually happen in the near future without the huge amount of pure wasted time that would be spent on making it happen, WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR DREAMS SOLDAT WILL NOT HAVE DESTRUCTABLE POLYGONS AND IF I HAVE TO SAY THIS TO ONE OTHER RETARD ON THESE FORUMS I WILL BE SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF.

Where does this explain WHY threads like this get locked? Does it HURT you to have thread like this? In fact, if you don't care about this idea, WHY THE HELL DID YOU EVEN CLICK THE LINK TO ENTER THE THREAD? Are you some kind of masochist who gets off on reading ideas he hates? Soldat won't have 99% of the ideas the come up in this forum, does that mean that all the threads get locked? At least for once, you finally admitted that it's possible to do, just no one will do it.

In the future, please stop trolling, 4-year-old.

TACKLEbeast666
May 26, 2006, 10:31 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old-_-

polygons in their current state cannot be changed during a game, therefor they cannot explode at all without some serious ammounts of coding being done.

i was actually trying to pissing you off....but uh sure, whatever makes you happy :)

Keron Cyst
May 27, 2006, 1:06 am
 Quote:Originally posted by TACKLEbeast666... i was actually trying to pissing you off....but uh sure, whatever makes you happy :)
Whoa, that'll be the first honest troll I've ever seen.

Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOT... Are you some kind of masochist who gets off on reading ideas he hates?...
He's not a masochist; he loves to yell at people. When he says he's giong to be "seriously pissed off" when someone else suggests it, he means he'll be extremely satisfied at having the chance to turn on Caps Lock and explain to another n00b why destructible terrain will not be implemented.

iDante's idea of "polywood" is hilarious, lmao xD

X¬Rã¥
May 27, 2006, 1:53 am
Yes lets get a wood poly, and have a new powerup that transforms you into a termite which can eat its way at an exceptional rate through the wood, and bite soldats, causing instant death, and also lets give the termite more health then your average soldater because i've heard they are tough little buggers to kill.

P.S: I'm all for this idea

Eagles_Arrows
May 27, 2006, 2:10 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SDFilm Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_Arrows Quote:Originally posted by SDFilmWhat if like on worms (im thinking Worms Armageddon), the bullets make craters that you would normaly expect to come from a 30mm weapon. Just imagine how fast the arena will turn into a podium XD

You knew I was kidding right XD

Nobody wants to fight on a podium

You knew I was kidding right?

Deleted User
May 27, 2006, 4:47 am
 Quote:This idea sucks.

Alright retard. Here's why these threads get locked.

Because they're made every other week. Because idiot-mongers like yourself cannot use the Search function. Because we get tired of ANSWERING THE SAME QUESTION EVERY OTHER DAY.

It is -not- going to happen within the next year or so, at least. Do not hold your breath, and for the last time:

Stop trolling.

Oh, and lurk more, Hyperfur[CENSORED].

HYPERFUNKBOT
May 30, 2006, 6:08 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Lapis_Lazuli
Because they're made every other week. Because idiot-mongers like yourself cannot use the Search function.
I don't make threads like this. In fact, I have not posted a new thread in this or any other forum to my knowledge at all, I've only posted in existing threads. I use the search function quite often.

Because we get tired of ANSWERING THE SAME QUESTION EVERY OTHER DAY.
Don't answer it, then.

It is -not- going to happen within the next year or so, at least. Do not hold your breath,
Did I say I wanted this? Did you even bother to *read* my post? I really don't want destructable polygons, it's a bad idea. Hell, since when are ANY of these ideas in this forum going to happen within the next year or so?

and for the last time:

Stop trolling.

Actually, that's the first time. I was unaware I was promoted to that level in the internet forum world. I don't really see how I fit any of the definitions mentioned here: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/troll.html

Besides, MM isn't the only one who uses these forums for ideas, ideas mentioned here sometimes give me ideas for use in my own games.

You haven't given me a single good reason why threads like this should get locked.

Yuth
May 31, 2006, 3:33 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliMany people don't realize that if polygons degraded/exploded, there'd be a lot more polybugs to deal with, and eventually the map would become unplayable.

Once a map is loaded into Soldat, its framework (polygons, sceneries, etc.) are all "permanent" and unchangeable. This is by design and would require a great deal of rewriting just to achieve what we want (destroyable polygons). Even if it was done, anyone who plays enough Soldat knows that eventually the ground would cease to exist and you'd all just be free-falling, spawning over and over again. Or fighting over this tiny chunk of land.

True - It would take a hell lot of rewriting.
But in the end, I'd have to say it's worth it.

Improving Soldat to such a high level IS - Worth the effort.

a-4-year-old
May 31, 2006, 10:16 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOTYou haven't given me a single good reason why threads like this should get locked.

1. Annoying spam holes
2. gathering places for people like you who think that any posts on the internet should not be locked
3. another place where ignorant [CENSORED]s like you can gather and say something like. It isnt impossible, so it should happen.

just because you do not say it, doesn't mean we don't infer it,

Loose the grammar and you would be good bashpit material.

can we lock the topic now?

HYPERFUNKBOT
June 1, 2006, 12:49 am
1. Annoying spam holes

I see no spam in this thread.

2. gathering places for people like you who think that any posts on the internet should not be locked

This is slightly incorrect. I think threads should have a reason to be locked.

3. another place where ignorant [CENSORED]s like you can gather and say something like. It isnt impossible, so it should happen.

Do you bother to read my posts? I dislike this idea.

just because you do not say it, doesn't mean we don't infer it,

Could you please explain what you mean by this?

Loose the grammar and you would be good bashpit material.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm unfamiliar with what a "bashpit" is, and I'm not sure how one can loosen or tighten grammer.

can we lock the topic now?

Why?