( search forums )
RCE_Mario
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Studio 8
May 20, 2006, 3:05 pm
Hi Here's My New First Map! Its a Kind of Sliding Maze!

[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Comments Please!!

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 5:00 pm
Uh. How is this related to "Mario"? And can we see an overview?

Eagles_Arrows
May 20, 2006, 5:12 pm
I liked how you used polys to make your words >_>

This doesn't look like Mario the chef nor Mario the video game character. Big disappointment :/

Soulsnipa
May 20, 2006, 5:45 pm
well ctf_b2b doesnt look like a b2b!! hoho. But yea...need to work on your mapping here.

Bounty Hunter Guy
May 20, 2006, 11:59 pm
Meh, it's pretty cool. But the colours clash.

Raptor
May 23, 2006, 2:13 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliUh. How is this related to "Mario"?
The name of the map doesn't have to fit the map itself in order for people to understand it. -_-

Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 2:47 pm
Alright. I'll call my next map CTF_VAGINA and it will not resemble a vagina by any means.

Raptor
May 23, 2006, 2:52 pm
^I'll look forward to it :)

Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 5:49 pm
That's a way of ensuring f12's during a map-vote :P

Soap
May 24, 2006, 5:22 am
I've been a part of the community for at least 5 years now and I can honestly say that this is the worst map I've ever seen.

I hope you quit mapping.

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 5:51 pm
You see, I'm not acting all wise and stuff, But I know quite a lot of mapping, not just for soldat. There is a difference between the people that send in their first 'good' maps and the people who send their 'very' first maps. So, you have the right to say that this map is crap and I agree and as far as I know you're quite the mapper here. However, the way you say it makes me want to punch you in the face. Was your very first map spotlighted? No, probably because you deleted it straight away. But it was there nontheless. So quit with that arrogant/Viggolo attitude. Even a 5-year member should take a look at his/her posts before hitting the submit button.

Notice how he didn't put a download link? This should be in map suggestions. Didn't notice that, eh, 5-year member? just bashing the noobs for fun, I guess.

So, Studio 8, some suggestions:

1. Download polyworks, it's a better map editor than the one that comes with soldat. Download it here: http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23906&whichpage=1

2. Show an overview. it's easier for people to judge the map, then.

3. Shade the polygons. this means that you make the upper parts of the map and the polygons bright and the lower ones darker, as if the sun can't reach the low levels/lower part of the polygon.

4. Add scenery. it make your map look good, just don't overdo it.

5. Spend more than 3 minutes on your map if you want to prevent dangerous 5-year members like soap (Erhem... *cough* ) from bashing you into oblivion.

6. Don't use thin polygons like you did to make your name because they are very likely to be bouncy because they are small. The phenomenon called 'bouncy polygons' occurs when the polygon is very small/thin/both. If you step on a bouncy polygun you'll be bounced away.

Cookie.
May 24, 2006, 8:25 pm
Mario would not approve!

However it atleast shows that you mastered the most basic functions of Mapmaker on your first try, and for that I give you a thumbs up!

Ivel
May 27, 2006, 4:01 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_ArrowsI liked how you used polys to make your words >_>

This doesn't look like Mario the chef nor Mario the video game character. Big disappointment :/

Agree. I think you should rename it and also chnage how u wrote ther name.