( search forums )
IRC help
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Tha Doggfather
May 22, 2006, 2:54 pm
Since I can't get on IRC to ask, and I don't use MSN (amymore), I'll ask here.

Right. So today I wanted to join my usual IRC channels, started my client mIRC and got a virus alert message from my scanner. Apparently C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe was infected with Win32:Ircbot-YU (Trojan Horse).

I then deleted the file, deleted the entire mIRC directory, redownloaded mIRC from the main site, installed it, and tried to connect: same virus alert message.

I then decided to ignore the message and continue anyway, only to find out I was G-lined from Quakenet:
gline evasion / takeover ( zoomah ).
-
Closing Link: JB` by port80c.se.quakenet.org (G-lined)

I googled for G-lined, since I'm an IRC-noob, and learned that it means I'm banned from the entire server. I tried /server zoite.sexy.net (if any 2wai guys are reading this: that is the correct server right?) and the connection was refused. To my knowledge I haven't been doing anything that might have gotten me banned.

It could just be coincidence, but I have a strong feeling the G-line thing and the virus warning are connected. Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't know what the [CENSORED] is going on.

Deleted User
May 22, 2006, 3:07 pm
Chances are it was probably infected after you downloaded it (i.e, you were already infected), then, attempted some kinda nasty trojan thing which got you banned.

I did a Google search and found a few results but none were really helpful. I'd do a full system scan and check to make sure you don't have any form of malicious spyware on your system.

Also, consider paying a visit to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and give your system another virus scan, just to be safe.

Other than that, good luck, I say. Consider visiting your virus scanner's website and performing a search for more info on the trojan there.

n00bface
May 22, 2006, 3:42 pm
hahha you [CENSORED]ing dumbass! it's sexy.zoite.net obviously. why would zoite own sexy.net? Ahh i want to give you a big hug you silly fool.

edit: oh and here you go my best belgian buddy in the whole wide world
Server: affinity.zoite.net
Notes: None

Server: cerberus.zoite.net

Server: funky.zoite.net

Server: laeta.zoite.net

Server: sexy.zoite.net

FliesLikeABrick
May 22, 2006, 5:06 pm
I'll look into the g-line, PM me your IP and I'll talk to the one or two quakenet opers that I can get in touch with.

Tha Doggfather
May 22, 2006, 6:41 pm
Thanks for the help Lapis and n00b, and thanks for the offer Flies, but I think it's all solved. I scanned my entire hard drive, re-downloaded mIRC and it worked, didn't give me the virus warning anymore, wasn't g-lined anymore.

Deleted User
May 22, 2006, 6:48 pm
glad you got it all figured out...but i cant really help people on IRC things..im a huge IRC noob myself..