( search forums )
Physics help.
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 7:52 am
One of you guys havta have a good awnser to this cause the guys on irc are no good at anything other then chuck norris quotes and playing ragnorak. and i really need help

"Explain why fibre-optic cables in commercial use transfer radiation of frequencies in the infra-red range over long distances rather than using radiation in the ultraviolet range? explain your awnser by referring to the penetrating ability of visable light."

Vijchtidoodah
May 23, 2006, 8:16 am
Er, because the glass used in long-distance fiber optics is opaque to ultraviolet light. Ifrared, on the other hand, is the most efficient wavelength for traveling through those same fibers.

Wikipedia does a better job explaining the second part:
"The light used is typically infrared light, at wavelengths near to the minimum absorption wavelength of the fiber in use. The fiber absorption is minimal for 1550 nm light and dispersion is minimal at 1310 nm making these the optimal wavelength regions for data transmission. A local minimum of absorption is found near 850 nm, a wavelength for which low cost transmitters and receivers can be designed, and this wavelength is often used for short distance applications. Fibers are generally used in pairs, with one fiber of the pair carrying a signal in each direction."

MOFO NOFO
May 23, 2006, 8:20 am
Probebly.

FliesLikeABrick
May 23, 2006, 12:12 pm
didn't I just answer this question in IRC for you the other night? I'm almost sure I did

Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 1:21 pm
Here's a more important question.

Why the [CENSORED] does it matter?

Raptor
May 23, 2006, 3:19 pm
infra-red rays have higher frequency and amplitude than ultraviolet rays, therefore larger distances can be covered with them.

Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 4:50 pm
is this for school?...or are you just curious?

EDIT: curiousity killed the cat..remember that

Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 8:37 pm
stfu sethamundo....

I believe this is for school, correct?

Vijchtidoodah
May 23, 2006, 9:32 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Raptorinfra-red rays have higher frequency and amplitude than ultraviolet rays, therefore larger distances can be covered with them.

Ultraviolet light actually has a greater frequency than infrared. Meanwhile, amplitude is independant of the type of light that you have.

Read the Wikipedia article, it'll explain why infrared works best.

Raptor
May 24, 2006, 3:23 am
^Cool, I didn't know that, Thanks.

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 5:45 am
jeez dascoo..i was joking around...damn man...

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 12:11 pm
i said stfu because that was really stupid....duuur