( search forums )
stupid question
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 6:51 pm
How do I make the soldat dedicated server run in the background on a computer running debian linux, by using putty the ssh client?

In other words what is the command or parameter to make it run hidden in the background?

FliesLikeABrick
May 23, 2006, 7:15 pm
instead of ./soldatserver do:

nohup ./soldatserver > /dev/null &

this says "run ./soldatserver without output to a terminal. redirect output to /dev/null and run it in the background (&)"

Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 7:43 pm
awesome. now it works. thanks!

mar77a
May 23, 2006, 9:42 pm
well, the stream redirection > is not needed and it's good to detect when/while the server crashes.

you can also use the screen program, but im not sure if it comes with debian.

FliesLikeABrick
May 23, 2006, 9:55 pm
the stream redirection is good otherwise you'll end up with a large nohup.out file, especially if you start using this method for other things.

All the information that would normally be on the terminal (and is redirected) is in the console logs anyway, so there's no reason not to redirect to > /dev/null

screen also works, but there is no reason to use it with a soldat server, because everything can be read from the console logs or done in game/with the admin tool. I was going to put screen in my original post, but didn't because of this and also because of the fact that it is far more complicated.

nohup is the simple way to run a soldat server in the background.

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 2:33 am
I tried ./soldatserver -nohup and nohup ./soldatserver.
Neither worked.
And how do I get that screen program?

mar77a
May 24, 2006, 2:54 am
same as nohup

screen ./soldatserver

FliesLikeABrick
May 24, 2006, 3:04 am
you need to do everything that I said, not just the first part.

the & needs to be at the end of the nohup, no matter whether or not you use the > /dev/null

KeFear
May 24, 2006, 11:38 am
you should try this:
screen -m -S soldatserver ./soldatserver

Now you have a soldatserver running in a screen. You can detach the screen by pressing ctrl+d (or ctrl+a+d if that doesn't work). And you can join a screen by running "screen -r"