( search forums )
Forums Map
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
KamikazeDuck
May 23, 2006, 11:07 pm
Hi forumers.

Letting you all know that I am thinking of starting a map which we all contribute to. It will be a series of boxes connected together, about 14 boxes in total and each box will be owned by one mapper. I think I'll make the limit about 40 polygons per person and whatever 500/14 equals for the amount of scenery. Once I post a picture this will make a lot more sense. I'm just wondering if any mappers out there are interested in making a section.

btw, your section would have your name underneath.

FUN FACTS ABOUT YOUR BOX

Limit of 32 Scenery
Limit of 100 Polygons
Lots of textures to choose from
You need to make your own bg for your box
Your name will be on it

PEOPLE WHO ARE IN

me
Geforce
Eagles Arrows
Pride
Serial Killer
Avarax
Jrgp
Rabidhamster
Flying Dutchman
Soulsnipa

So there's six five (I need one as well) more to go for whoever is interested.

The new forums are coming up very soon so I guess I'll have to repost this topic there.

g-force9
May 24, 2006, 12:10 am
Nice idea...all mappers should know about this.
and 500/14=35.7142...Just go with 35 pieces of scenery.
Oh yeah, I'm in.

Eagles_Arrows
May 24, 2006, 12:15 am
count me in.

Pride
May 24, 2006, 12:17 am
I'll do one if it's okay.

SERIAL KILLeR
May 24, 2006, 12:39 am
Count me in.

Raptor
May 24, 2006, 3:06 am
This has been tried before and never worked xD

Still, you should try it!

Soulsnipa
May 24, 2006, 7:53 am
lol what raptor said...so many times before. ive suggested it, sorta what sml usta do...ill help

KamikazeDuck
May 24, 2006, 9:09 am
Okay, here's an idea for a template:

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9814/forummaptemplate3id.png

As you can see, there are more than 14 sections (I wanted it to be square) and there is a wide variety of textures to choose from (You'll need to use the latest polyworks if you want to be a part of this). I'm not sure if this is what everyone had in mind or whether it is too big/small (you can see the gostek size, he is on there somewhere) or whether everyone would rather more irregular sections or whatever. The background is black, this means you'll need to make a png scenery for the background of your section. I did this because it means you can make whatever theme you want in that square because the background can be green, blue, red ect. This also means the map will be very colourful.

I had some concerns with people being able to shoot from one side of the map to the other. There are two ways this could be fixed: making "bullets collide" polygons at each entrance/exit OR this problem could be fixed by people creating their sections keeping in mind that they should be making sure they are blocking bullets from passing through each section. They could do this by making hills, buildings or other obstructions in the way of bullets.

...but then again, you might not want the map to have so much close combat, therefore you'd want the openings bigger.

All the boxes are seperate for example:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2146/forummapbox3if.png

So that shows, when you know what section you have, you'll be able to select the polygons around your box and copy it into a new file where you can work on it. Then, once it is finished, you can send me that map containing the single box and I can copy it into the main map. Simple.

Well, this is what I've come up with so far. Everyone start giving your ideas or changes you think would benifit the map template, after all this is OUR map.

Edit: I've decided, after looking at the map for a bit that it might be better if only the horizontal entry/exits are made bigger. It means that it will be easy to move in and out of sections and there will still be a lot of area to walk on.

Also, any ideas for a good name?

Avarax
May 24, 2006, 10:04 am
 Quote:Originally posted by RaptorThis has been tried before and never worked xD

Still, you should try it!

you're totally wrong, i had a very nice project with 6 other mappers for the last esll mapping project called ctf_cambo, including people like demonic and boxo. it worked out very well, allthough one or two people didnt do anything... but still, it was a succesfull multimapping project:

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=24869&SearchTerms=ctf_cambo

Oh and g-force, you got my back up :)

you should also let one mapper harmonize the whole map when it's ready so the polys are coennect correctly and stuff like that

EDIT:
oh and gefoorce, ill need about 100 polys, my zone will be "special" ^^

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 1:35 pm
count me in

rabidhamster
May 24, 2006, 7:57 pm
I'm ready!

One thing though, could we only use one texture? That one's kinda hard to work with (I'm a single texturer for life, some of my stretching can't be done with multi-textures). Plus, it's probably very large in filesize.

Flying_Dutchman
May 24, 2006, 8:13 pm
Awesome idea! Gimme a box! :P

Soulsnipa
May 24, 2006, 8:29 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by rabidhamsterI'm ready!

One thing though, could we only use one texture? That one's kinda hard to work with (I'm a single texturer for life, some of my stretching can't be done with multi-textures). Plus, it's probably very large in filesize.

zzzz u can use a single texture on ur part of the map...

oh i just noticed...40 polygons a person, are u [CENSORED]ing out of your mind. That means 600 total polygons. Hello, good look making the map look good. I'd like 100 polygons please.

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 9:59 pm
Count me in as well.

Raptor
May 24, 2006, 10:12 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Avaraxwith 6 other mapper

I meant like with a lot of people (15, 20?)

KamikazeDuck
May 24, 2006, 10:26 pm
Okay, okay, I'll make it 100 polygons each.

And the amount of scenery each is now is 32 (I need a scenery file for each box showing the name of who made it).

Okay, I'm going to edit my post and add the list of who is 'in'.

So again, is everyone happy with the layout of the boxes?

KamikazeDuck
May 25, 2006, 7:09 am
It isn't going to be a bunch of boxes when it is finished because the layout and number of choke points will be different as people will add walls and hills obstructing the gostek's way. But there still will be a few issues so I'm open to any plans people have for the design.

Deleted User
May 25, 2006, 9:49 pm
@Avarax, it didn't go as planned and the organisation more or less sucked.

And for this one, you could try, but different mappers have different styles, and it comes to show that polyworks made the difference between styles even bigger, wich i don't know how it'll work in the end.

[totaly random]Haven't done a map in ages, why should i now :P[/totaly random]

Boxo
May 26, 2006, 9:17 am
How big is one box? At least one screen right?

I'm in, as long as the boxes aren't miniscule.

And a scenery tip for everyone: you can have more scenery with custom scenery scenery grouping, don't worry about that. Of course custom scenery is allowed?

KamikazeDuck
May 26, 2006, 2:23 pm
Yes, custom scenery is allowed. Boxes aren't huge (check the overview, there is a gostek on it) do you want to be added to the list?

Just to let people know: I won't be posting the map until the new forums are up and running.

Deleted User
May 26, 2006, 2:46 pm
I'm in too, if it's okay.

Where can I get the base template? Or can't we even start yet..

Deleted User
May 26, 2006, 2:53 pm
How is this gonna work?

Are you gonna pass around a zip file to all of the mappers and then they can add their part?

And when? I am really anxious to start.

Boxo
May 26, 2006, 3:12 pm
Meh, add me anyway.

Wouldnt it be easiest for you to upload a box template here and let everyone do their thing and send you the finished boxes which you would piece together.?

rabidhamster
May 26, 2006, 4:19 pm
^Same. Give us each a box template PMS file. Then we can send you them as prefabs and you can import them all together later.

KamikazeDuck
May 27, 2006, 3:14 am
What I'll be doing is (when the new forums are up) put up the list (three more boxes left) of who has boxes. I'll put up a picture of the latest template labeled: A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1... until C5 and you pick what box you want (first to claim the box gets it).
The template will be up for download (with the texture) and when you download the template (that's te whole map) you copy and paste out the box that you own and build your stuff in that. When you've finished your box, you save it as a map on it's own or as a prefab and send it to me. I'll put them all together and the map will be done. I'll keep updating the image on the first post to show what boxes are finished, who owns them, and what is still available.

Okay, there's a heap that can go wrong there but hopefully it all works out.

So no map until new forums which will be up... tomorrow?

Deleted User
May 29, 2006, 6:15 pm
Looks like Coq Rouge and I were ignored. Any particular reason besides us having a low postcount? I can show some mapping if you want.

rabidhamster
May 29, 2006, 6:33 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by rabidhamsterGive us each a box template PMS file, complete with the openings. Then we can send you them as prefabs and you can import them all together later.

Just do that, it's easiest.

vash763
May 30, 2006, 2:32 am
I'll make one (Atomic Hype)

KamikazeDuck
May 30, 2006, 7:58 am
 Quote: Looks like Coq Rouge and I were ignored. Any particular reason besides us having a low postcount? I can show some mapping if you want.
lol, dw I have all the names on a list next to my computer and you two are on it. I haven't bothered changing the list because I thought the forums would be changing on the weekend.

...and vash, your on it now.

There's one spot left btw.

Quote:Give us each a box template PMS file, complete with the openings. Then we can send you them as prefabs and you can import them all together later.
I was going to but the sides where openings on each box vary. Still, I guess you could just close up the sides that need to have no opening yourselves.

Deleted User
June 8, 2006, 7:56 am
Woo, sounds cool.
Box me baby!

Studio 8
June 8, 2006, 11:01 am
Yo dude can i join!!!!!