( search forums )
Yet another tech question volume 8
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
peemonkey
May 24, 2006, 1:56 am
Task Manager. Is there a way to make it so that whenever a certain program comes on, it gets very high priority over all the programs? More specifically, is there away to devote a crapass load of resources to a specific program? Help?
EDIT: Also, is there a way I can change the voltage goin on in my computer, and check temperatures?
Also, would 2 more gigs of ram totally make my computer fast ass hellballs?

UGK
May 24, 2006, 2:46 am
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

For your temperature question.

FliesLikeABrick
May 24, 2006, 3:08 am
1) task manager can't do that, but there are programs that do it. I'll see if I can find one
2) get motherboard monitor 5 for monitoring temperatures and fan speeds/voltages etc. It is the most popular and best monitoring software for windows
3) how fast is your computer, what do you use the computer for (how many programs at once open, and of what kind) and how much RAM do you have now?

peemonkey
May 24, 2006, 3:36 am
512mb ram, and i'm trying to get a resource-eating 3d modelling program to speed up a bit. It'll also likely help some videogames and whatnot for when I'm bored. As it is right now, computer games are at medium settings but struggle at it sometimes. I'm downloading....just downloaded mbm5, and'll be installing after this post.

FliesLikeABrick
May 24, 2006, 4:26 am
you didn't tell me how fast your computer is

peemonkey
May 24, 2006, 4:30 am
I don't knofe crap about computers brick, be gentle on me :P
what format of answer are you looking for? because right now all I can think of is "sluggish".

Swarmer
May 24, 2006, 5:33 am
your processor speed. Like 2.07gHz or something. And also your processor brand and model, because they matter too.
What's the most graphics intensive game you play?

peemonkey
May 24, 2006, 5:45 am
Manufacturer: eMachines
Processor: AMD Athalon XP 3000+ ~2.2GHz
Memory: 512 Mb RAM
HD: 997 MB available
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6600GT
Cost: $100 altogether

swarmer, the source engine is what i currently play around with. Empires mod in specific tends to give a bit of trouble because I don't have enough resources for textures so have to play on medium to low specs.

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 5:57 am
one hundred or one thousand?..if you got that for a hundred bucks man i wanna find out where you bought it from lol

Swarmer
May 24, 2006, 7:50 am
eh, since it's an eMachine, you might have some problems upgrading. I think all of the stuff is soldered in and can't be changed. But your stats look pretty good. I think 512mb more ram and some more hard drive space (you have less than a gig? wow) should do it. 512mb ram should cost $30-$50, and 60GB harddrive should go for $100ish. I don't think the HD space is necessary for performance issues though, but it will help a lot. 997MB is not enough to install most new CD games.

You have a better video card and processor than I do, but I have 1024mb RAM, and I run Source games fine.

$100 is a really good deal for that...
your processor is easily over $100, your video card is too, and so is XP. But it's eMachines, so I dunno.

But yeah, just spend $35 for a decent stick of 512 ram at www.newegg.com and you're good to go. But make sure it's possible to install, since eMachines are weird.

FliesLikeABrick
May 24, 2006, 12:18 pm
eMachines are not weird, they take standard parts. You should be able to upgrade the RAM with no problem.

If you're afraid you can't find the right RAM at newegg, try www.crucial.com Get another 512MB stick, but make sure you have a free RAM slot open in your computer.

I would suggest either: 1) taking time to go and uninstall prgrams that you don't use anymore or 2) buying a second hard drive

Swarmer
May 24, 2006, 6:11 pm
I thought eMachines had all of thier components integrated so you can't upgrade it at all. But I guess you could still add in ram. But you probably can't change your processor or anything.

peemonkey
May 24, 2006, 6:31 pm
All I want is ram :P I've actually been able to add a gfx card and another one that I forget. it's upgradeable, but I don't know how much, because I don't care. I just use it for boredom supression.

FliesLikeABrick
May 24, 2006, 7:08 pm
I've serviced and upgraded many e-machines, there's nothing particularly special about them like that, Swarmer

Swarmer
May 24, 2006, 7:22 pm
Oh, thats what someone told me. Why are they so cheap then? Sounds like a good deal.

FliesLikeABrick
May 24, 2006, 7:25 pm
they're cheap /because/ they use standard parts. If they made everything themselves, into one board... they would be far more expensive. :P I think your logic is a bit backwards on the matter, sorry

peemonkey
May 24, 2006, 7:52 pm
Actually I got the computer for free and the gfx card was about $100. that's why it was so cheap :P