( search forums )
Question About svchost.exe
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
shoover
May 25, 2006, 1:37 am
How Many svchost.exe's should i be running on my computer?

If this helps, these are the specs for my computer.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
1GB PC3200 Memory
200GB HDD

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive
CD-ROM Drive
Windows XP Home Edition SP2

I have 2 of them running under user name "NETWORK SERVICE" And one of them is 4,096 K and the other is 3,224 K with no CPU usage right now on either of them.

Milkman Dan
May 25, 2006, 2:16 am
 Quote:The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging.

FliesLikeABrick
May 25, 2006, 4:11 am
do not touch any of the svchost.exe processes, no touch the actual file(s) at all. doing so will likely crash or permanently break your system

there are some viruses that run under the name "svchost.exe" though if you have anti-virus software and if a scan yields nothing, you're fine.

TheLetterA
May 25, 2006, 4:28 am
it's always good to just type the name of the process into google. I discovered the one that shuts down my taskbar the minute i opened it that way.

the process was a rewording of a quicktime process, something like QTimeR.

TheFunktopus
May 25, 2006, 5:18 pm
Svchost.exe is a virus you should delete it.

SERIAL KILLeR
May 25, 2006, 6:08 pm
Hmmm i have 7 of them, is that ok?

[IMAGE]

FliesLikeABrick
May 25, 2006, 6:17 pm
yes it is normal. see my previous post.

shoover
May 25, 2006, 7:35 pm
Ok, my question, why 7? why 2? why 410? why me?

SERIAL KILLeR
May 25, 2006, 8:46 pm
Found out what each one does for me so they should be safe:

Services: DCOM Server Process Launcher, Terminal ServicesServices: Remote Procedure Call (RPC)Services: Windows Audio, Intelligente achtergrondsoverdrachtservice, Computer Browser, Services voor cryptografie, DHCP Client, Logical Disk Manager, Service voor het rapporteren van fouten, COM+-gebeurtenissysteem, Compatibiliteit voor Snelle gebruikerswisseling, Help en ondersteuning, Server, Workstation, Network Connections, Network Location Awareness (NLA), Verbindingsbeheer voor RAS, Task Scheduler, Secondary Logon, System Event Notification, Windows Firewall (WF) / Internet-verbinding delen (ICS), Shell Hardware Detection, System Restore-service, Telephony, Thema's, Distributed Link Tracking Client, Windows Time, Windows Management Instrumentation, Security Center, Automatische updates, Wireless Zero Configuration-serviceServices: DNS ClientServices: TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, Remote Registry, SSDP Discovery-service, WebClientServices: Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)Services: HTTP SSL

Swarmer
May 25, 2006, 10:47 pm
each one does a different thing.

Deleted User
May 26, 2006, 2:29 am
Delete svchost.exe, I guarantee your system will run 110% better after you install Linux.