( search forums )
The FliesLikeABrick/U13 Thread!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Ok
May 25, 2006, 9:31 am
Yea well, I decided I'm too fecking curious to let it go.
And I'm sure I'm not the only one who is :D
So here are the questions I have for you Flies:

You seem to have this network of servers, one you say in Chicago.
First of all, how do you maintain the servers? do you have like a schedule, or do you just go there when something is wrong?
Prehapes a controling program that allows you to control the server through the internet?

How did it all start? when did you decide to start U13 and for what reasons?

Were you ever a Hardcore soldat player? (Clans, leagues etc..)

Do you have some wierd/funny/interesting stories you gathered through running this project of yours? I mean you must talk to alot of ppl , and get alot of responses from ppl regarding U13 and other projects you've ran.

What's your penis size? nah nah, just joking I ran out of questions :S

OH OH OH OH! I remember one specific Teamspeak meeting we had with Chakra and some other brits.. and you send us a picture of your ex-girlfriend (hot stuff) got any new girls in your life since then? :)

So these are my questions and stuff I was wondering about, you guys can add your own and hope he'll answer, I hope he'll be answering mine anyways.
Cheers.

m00`
May 25, 2006, 9:54 am
er didnt flies get interviewed once?

Soulsnipa
May 25, 2006, 9:56 am
lemme try lol
1) he has connections in places and figjam?
2) he wanted to learn php and start a mysql project that meant something
3) he played the game however I dont believe he was in a clan, although his brother was in... AOS?
4) N/A
5) 20 feet

FliesLikeABrick
May 25, 2006, 4:39 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by OkYea well, I decided I'm too fecking curious to let it go.
And I'm sure I'm not the only one who is :D
So here are the questions I have for you Flies:

You seem to have this network of servers, one you say in Chicago.

I've got 3 servers in chicago (counting the new one for the forums that will be there in a couple days. All 3 are on 100mbit internet connections, 1000GB/month bandwidth. I can buy more bandwidth if I need to. See the "System Specs" thread for information on all of my computers.

I live in New York, and Chicago is not very close. I ship servers that I own to them through normal package couriers ( UPS/FedEx/DHL), and do the same with any parts I may need to send them.

Quote:Originally posted by Ok
First of all, how do you maintain the servers? do you have like a schedule, or do you just go there when something is wrong?
I am constantly working on my servers, and there's no real "routine maintenance" that needs to be done. I go where I'm needed most, and most of the time I have a fairly long prioritized list of things that I need to work on. I've got 3-4 soldat-related projects I hope to work on soon. Hopefully once the new forums are up I will have some free time to get started on them.

Prehapes a controling program that allows you to control the server through the internet?
When things really go wrong, I can access the keyboard and video output (and mouse if I had a use for it) remotely through a KVMoIP unit. I generally don't have to use this.

How did it all start? when did you decide to start U13 and for what reasons?
I wanted to learn php and MySQL, and Soldat seemed like an interesting game. I started playing soldat, decidedd to run a server. I then noticed the kill logs, and one of my friends joked about making stats from them. So I did. Some people found the server and the site (which was originally just a boredom hobby), said it was neat, and gave suggestions. Repeat that thousands of times, and you've got what is U13 today.

Were you ever a Hardcore soldat player? (Clans, leagues etc..)
Nope.

Do you have some wierd/funny/interesting stories you gathered through running this project of yours? I mean you must talk to alot of ppl , and get alot of responses from ppl regarding U13 and other projects you've ran.
I don't have any particularly good stories, except for things like exploding power supplies (built a server with too many hard drives and too small of a PSU) and things like that.

I do talk to a lot of people. I have 2 AIM accounts, 5 MSN accounts, and my google talk account, just because so many soldatters have questions or comments for me, or need to get help with something, U13 related or otherwise.

OH OH OH OH! I remember one specific Teamspeak meeting we had with Chakra and some other brits.. and you send us a picture of your ex-girlfriend (hot stuff) got any new girls in your life since then? :)
Nope, I've been single since her and I broke up. I dated a girl for a couple days (meh, if you want to even call it that) earlier first semester this year, but that didn't work out
So these are my questions and stuff I was wondering about, you guys can add your own and hope he'll answer, I hope he'll be answering mine anyways.
Cheers.

I'd be glad to answer more questions

Quote:Originally posted by m00`er didnt flies get interviewed once?

twice so far, once by Soldat E-Zine and once by the Brazillian Soldat Community. They really liked that one, it got a lot of feedback ;)

Ok
May 25, 2006, 9:10 pm
Erm... so you're an expert on networking erm...
I'll remember that 'till the 4/7 when I'm going to start a network in my house .. MUHAHAHAA

I still have one more question though.
You said you ship them the stuff...
Who is "them" do you have like, workers ? or is the company providing bandwidth also store your hardware?

rabidhamster
May 25, 2006, 10:34 pm
^That's what I wondered. Who's there to plug in the server and all that?

bja888
May 25, 2006, 11:05 pm
FLAB ships the stuff to a "data center" in Chicago where is server is placed on a rack with all the others. Once there it gets 24/7 support by real humans, just in case something gets [CENSORED]ed up. Most likely in a secure oxygen free room.

livingdalife
May 25, 2006, 11:10 pm
 Quote:Quote:
Originally posted by Ok

Quote:posted by FLAB
the three dots must tell us that his penis is 3 dots long.

wow..thats a feckin big Epenis!
imo.

Ok
May 25, 2006, 11:28 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888FLAB ships the stuff to a "data center" in Chicago where is server is placed on a rack with all the others. Once there it gets 24/7 support by real humans, just in case something gets [CENSORED]ed up. Most likely in a secure oxygen free room.

So basicly we've come to a time and age when you have to pay rent for you computer ^_^
What's next? you pay to send him to college? hehe
Cool though, I wonder if there are places like that in Israel too..

Denacke
May 25, 2006, 11:35 pm
Well basicly it's the bandwith you pay for, and the safekeeping of your precious server from evil power failiures and other weird shizzle.

Deleted User
May 26, 2006, 1:18 am
Hey FLAB:

whats your favorite linuc distro, and your favorite ssh client?

Pride
May 26, 2006, 6:37 am
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888FLAB ships the stuff to a "data center" in Chicago where is server is placed on a rack with all the others. Once there it gets 24/7 support by real humans, just in case something gets [CENSORED]ed up. Most likely in a secure oxygen free room.

The room couldn't be oxygen-free because all computer related electronics are combustion-powered, and with no air there would be no flame.

n00bface
May 26, 2006, 6:46 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Ok Quote:Originally posted by bja888FLAB ships the stuff to a "data center" in Chicago where is server is placed on a rack with all the others. Once there it gets 24/7 support by real humans, just in case something gets [CENSORED]ed up. Most likely in a secure oxygen free room.

So basicly we've come to a time and age when you have to pay rent for you computer ^_^
What's next? you pay to send him to college? hehe
Cool though, I wonder if there are places like that in Israel too..

lol are you serious? data centers have been around since before the internet i reckon.

of course there are places like that in israel.

Captain Ben
May 26, 2006, 8:56 am
How much does a server cost and if they're worth more than $19.95, how did you manage to get so many? Please excuse my irry arry blirry.

FliesLikeABrick
May 26, 2006, 12:03 pm
servers cost anywhere from $400 to $4000 or more (the ones I have)

Ubuntu is the distribution I use on everyday laptops/desktops
Debian is what I use on my servers

I don't have an ssh client of choice, I just use the "ssh" command built into the operating system. When I'm forced to use a windows computer (for example, at work) I use putty

Ok
May 26, 2006, 4:10 pm
What's an ssh client? was thinking you're trying to shush us there for a second ;)

mar77a
May 26, 2006, 7:08 pm
An app that connects to a sshd (daemon) which allows you to remote control a computer (in console mode) as if you were sitting rigth in front of it, with your fingers on the keyboard.

FliesLikeABrick
May 26, 2006, 7:43 pm
and also know that it is for linux or other UNIX based systems only. it is the main way that server owners access their servers for administrative tasks

Swarmer
May 26, 2006, 10:35 pm
I remember in The Matrix they said something about an SSH exploit being the cause of some major plot part.

MOFO NOFO
May 27, 2006, 12:50 am
Holy crap, you must be rich or something :|

FliesLikeABrick
May 27, 2006, 2:16 am
no, almost every penny I own goes into the servers and computers I own. My parents pay for absolutely nothing that I own. I have 2 jobs when I'm at school (computing helpdesk and tutoring) though those currently pay crap. When I'm home from school, I do engineering work for a local company, but that still doesn't pay what it should.

Deleted User
May 27, 2006, 4:52 am
wow FLAB....you must be a very busy man lol

Captain Ben
May 27, 2006, 5:18 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickno, almost every penny I own goes into the servers and computers I own. My parents pay for absolutely nothing that I own. I have 2 jobs when I'm at school (computing helpdesk and tutoring) though those currently pay crap. When I'm home from school, I do engineering work for a local company, but that still doesn't pay what it should.

How many do you have? And is the rent for the Chicago server (along with running costs) alot? Sounds like ti would be if you have that many jobs.

FliesLikeABrick
May 27, 2006, 5:36 am
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=34189 <-- see my post there for my systems.

Rent for each server is $70/month, there are 3 there right now. 2 of them pay for themselves (rented out to people).

Captain Ben
May 27, 2006, 7:51 am
Crikey, that's a fairbit.
I wouldn't have known to check that thread, I usually stay away from those ones.