( search forums )
Help on Mars.
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Eagles_Arrows
May 26, 2006, 1:31 am
I need to know a raw material from Mars that could be valuable here on Earth (like gold). Anyone have any idea?

shoover
May 26, 2006, 1:44 am
How bout aliens idiot lol

Deleted User
May 26, 2006, 1:46 am
is rust valuable?

btw, shoover were you serious 0_0

The Geologist
May 26, 2006, 4:29 am
Rust is oxidized iron. Iron is valuable anywhere, we're still looking for new deposits today (aside from the stuff we can recycle). Judging from the very red color of the planet, it would be safe to say there is some iron present, but just where...I don't know.

We've only sent robots there. Since nobody has set foot on the planet, it's hard to say what raw materials are there that we could use. If I were to take a stab at it, I'd say this:

*Iron (possibly) - It's the "red" planet...a typical color for the presence of iron.
*Clastics (Chunks of rocks we use for roadbase, cement, etc)

I'm not sure about the geology...gold deposits, limestone, diamonds...those all depend on specific processes. Limestone needs vast seas;, coal, oil, and natural gas need vast oceans and environments devoid of oxygen to preserve and transform organic material into the oil etc. that we seek, gold and other metallic deposits require volcanic activity that I do not know if we've seen evidence of so far.

I realize it's a vague answer, but I hope it helps.

?
May 26, 2006, 4:34 am
they have christmas on mars does that help?

MikeShinoda.pheonix
May 26, 2006, 6:37 am
The flaming lips are such a wierd band.

?
May 26, 2006, 7:10 am
I love them though, i can't wait till they come somewhere down south that i can get to :D

Captain Ben
May 26, 2006, 8:48 am
Water.

Swarmer
May 26, 2006, 9:03 am
All extraterrestial material is valuable. I could sell a chunk of ordinary Mars rock on ebay for a lot of money.
www.google.com
www.wikipedia.com

Deleted User
May 26, 2006, 12:13 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Captain BenWater.

but its frozen >_>

Geo your right, forgot about iron....

TheFunktopus
May 26, 2006, 5:08 pm
Vespene gas.

SERIAL KILLeR
May 26, 2006, 6:02 pm
Copper and phosphates.

Swarmer
May 26, 2006, 6:05 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by dascoo Quote:Originally posted by Captain BenWater.

but its frozen >_>

Geo your right, forgot about iron....

There's none at all (as far as we know).

ENERGON.

SuperKill
May 26, 2006, 8:21 pm
a whole bunch of secret lemons

UGK
May 26, 2006, 9:51 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by TheFunktopusVespene gas.

I lold at that...

The Geologist
May 26, 2006, 11:04 pm
Aggregates - I should have called them this, instead of clastics. Clastics is a loose term that applies to all the loose sediments that are transported and deposited.

Also, I thought that it may be useful to look up topics like spectral analysis of Mars. This won't tell you just what kind of deposits are there, but we use different spectral analysis techniques for a rough determination of the elemental composition of the planet itself.

Eagles_Arrows
May 27, 2006, 12:25 am
Swarmer is right, the polar ice caps on both hemispheres on Mars mostly contain carbon dioxide, so therefore it can't be classified as water, which contain oxygen. Dry ice...

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. It's no surprise, however, that half of the people who posted here was of no help to me >_> (esp. the fool who said aliens).

MOFO NOFO
May 27, 2006, 12:36 am
 Quote:Originally posted by TheFunktopusVespene gas.

Too much starcraft for you.

frogboy
May 27, 2006, 1:34 am
water ice too.

The Geologist
May 27, 2006, 3:23 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_ArrowsSwarmer is right, the polar ice caps on both hemispheres on Mars mostly contain carbon dioxide, so therefore it can't be classified as water, which contain oxygen. Dry ice...

Whoa whoa whoa....CO2 contains oxygen as well man. Notice the two oxygens in there. CO2 is never classified as water anyway. There is a difference between liquids and water.

Eagles_Arrows
May 27, 2006, 3:35 am
Oh whoops, my mistake.

The Geologist
May 27, 2006, 3:42 am
lol, no worries ^_^

I love chemistry, so I'm a bit of a stickler in that reguard :p

vash763
May 27, 2006, 3:56 am
 Quote:Originally posted by MOFO NOFO Quote:Originally posted by TheFunktopusVespene gas.

Too much starcraft for you.

[CENSORED] no it isn't.

Captain Ben
May 27, 2006, 5:23 am
Water may not be valuable here on Earth (or maybe it is wherever the hell you are), but to astronauts/cosmonauts its worth its weight in gold. Because of hydrogen being harvested to fuel rockets and other stuff I can't recall as well as food related stuff, search google/wikipedia for a better look into what I mean.

Deleted User
May 28, 2006, 7:05 pm
Hydrogen is basically everywhere, so why would you need to use mars? Just use some asteroids floating around, or the moon. Hell, even we have hydrogen in us.

Ok
May 28, 2006, 10:11 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by The Geologist
I'm not sure about the geology...

But, aren't you like, the Geologist?
teeheee, sorry had to say that ^_^

frogboy
May 29, 2006, 7:20 am
 Quote:Originally posted by dascooHydrogen is basically everywhere, so why would you need to use mars?
To get back?