( search forums )
Website Hosting
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Hitman
May 26, 2006, 5:15 pm
Well, I've decided to get a proper website host and I was wondering if any of you lovely people could help me out? I'm going to try to get into the circle of Photobloggers, even if I have to start at the bottom as it'll enable me to improve my photography, get tips, etc. However, the site I currently have (see signature) is limited in terms of features and web space. I'd like to have a website that would enable me to have people comment on pictures, including a guestbook and an actual functioning archive.

Do you know of any cheap and yet brilliant web hosts with lots of features available for your site, including an easy-as-fook website builder and plenty of web space?

Found this and it looks rather good. Yes, no?

Would appreciate any help.

Edit: Oh and preferably a UK host...although I don't know if that'll make any difference. I live in London.

b00stA
May 26, 2006, 5:28 pm
Why don't you just get a DeviantArt account?
People can comment on your pictures, everything's archived, you can write in a journal etc. but you're not completely free.

Way to go..
* H|tman has joined #soldat.forums
[18:22:43] <H|tman> http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=34261 Please read...any help would be greatly appreciated.
* H|tman Quit (Quit: Boobies)

Hitman
May 26, 2006, 5:30 pm
Yeah, I already have an account but I don't really like it. I'd prefer to have my own website.

Edit: What? I reason I quit was because I'm working on script. I'd just like to have a topic I can check instead on being entrenched in conversation.

b00stA
May 26, 2006, 5:39 pm
It's okay, we still love you.

~AcE~
May 26, 2006, 5:44 pm
Check out the typos in Hitman's post... Nervous about your response, or shaky hands?=P
I recommend DeviantArt as well.

bja888
May 26, 2006, 5:55 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Hitman
Found this and it looks rather good. Yes, no?

OMG THE SPAM!!!! Stock Images hurt my eyes!!! It burns us!! Its burns!!!

...lol

If your looking to leach off someone else's current hosting your best off asking FLAB or my self. As far as I know we are the only ones who pay money for hosting. Where as if your looking to buy your own, there are 2 ways to go about it.

1) You find the cheapest servers running the worst disrto of linux. Marvel at their over-use of stock images and bright colors (any use of stock images is over-use). Then quickly get disappointed when their server randomly shuts off and support doesn't answer the mail you sent them asking about the problem.

2) Pay more than you wanted to, have a plethora of sever functions, 100% up-time with guaranteed and support that will blow you if you ask nice enough (too graphic?).

Which sounds better to you?

If you don't mind I have to work 10 hours so I can pay for my hosting this month :D

Deleted User
May 26, 2006, 6:58 pm
I use WordPress, even though I havn't really updated my site in a while. There are tons of designs you can download all over the net, and it's very easy to setup. I could host one for you, but it's in the U.S. Anywhere from 100-200mbs, maybe more. I don't really use my website much anymore. :)

Havana

[Edit]
btw hosting is free :<

Krillious
May 26, 2006, 7:06 pm
for free webhosting look here: http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=20976
but if you need all those features and don't know how to make them without a website builder, then you should do what the others said and use DeviantArt

FliesLikeABrick
May 26, 2006, 7:42 pm
judging by Hitman's original post, he is looking for a "proper webhost" that he would pay for.

I can offer you quite a bit once the new server is up, for a very reasonable amount. (bja888's servers are on windows, just so you know). Give me a shout on IRC some time and I'll let you know what I've got for you

shoover
May 26, 2006, 7:46 pm
Premium Hosting

600 GB of bandwidth*
30 GB disk space
2,000 email accounts
Free domain name**
200 sub domains
MySQL Database
PHP Enabled
Easy Builders
FrontPage Extensions
500+ FREE Site Templates

Yea for $4.48 a month. Id go for that (unfortunetly im already on a plan)

vash763
May 26, 2006, 8:08 pm
Wordpress or Textpattern like s4r said.

idk about hosts

Deleted User
May 27, 2006, 1:14 am
http://surfspeedy.com
^^
Ive been with these guys for over 2 years, excellent quality and support.

m00`
May 27, 2006, 1:45 am
why is bravenet basic hosting more expensive than the premium hosting

Hitman
May 29, 2006, 3:49 pm
To those who offered alternatives, I appreciate your input but I'm gonna go with Flies.

Flies, I've found a provider that I really like and I've already started my site. I know nothing about HTML or CSS but I've customized it as much as I possibly could and I now need someone to do some fine tuning to the site. If you require payment I'd be happy to sort out a deal. This will probably take a couple of hours, maybe less.

Please get back to me asap as I'm starting to get very impatient with my own lack of website-making-skills.

rabidhamster
May 29, 2006, 4:23 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by m00`why is bravenet basic hosting more expensive than the premium hosting

I wondered the same thing. Anyways, I'd go with Bravenet, 30GB for $4.50 USD a month is excellent.

Edit: I always hate how companies show bandwidth first. I originally thought Bravenet had 600GB storage for hosting.

Deleted User
May 29, 2006, 4:39 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by m00`why is bravenet basic hosting more expensive than the premium hosting

i think you have to pay for 2 years.....something like those prepaid cards for mmo games?