( search forums )
Watching you watch us
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
bja888
May 26, 2006, 6:05 pm
http://www.observingsurveillance.org/

Ever get the feeling your being watched? Dont worry! Because we are watching them too!

2 wrongs never make a right but 3 lefts do!

Swarmer
May 26, 2006, 6:13 pm
What's the big deal with anti-surveillance. Who cares if there are cameras watching me in the streets. If it makes it a safer place to be, then great. It's not like I have no privacy. What am I going to do: go pee in a corner? What could I possibly do that I wouldn't want people seeing, other than something illegal? And if it's illegal, then I deserve to be punished.
Having less terrorist trying to kill you is worth someone seeing you pick your nose.

Keron Cyst
May 26, 2006, 6:28 pm
Concur'd.

(Whatever that means)

Fangus Deef
May 26, 2006, 7:01 pm
I don't care about cameras but I care about the corrilation everyone puts on lack of privacy being safety. If someone's watching my every move, how the hell could I feel safe?

Swarmer
May 26, 2006, 10:39 pm
Why does being watched make you feel unsafe? Unless there's an assassin on your tail and wants to find you, I don't think being seen by someone makes you less safe. A thug will attack anyone, not someone he finds on a tv screen.

Fangus Deef
May 26, 2006, 10:41 pm
A thug I can handle, i'd just cut him up. If there's a camera on me, I have no idea who's watching me, and that alone is enough to make some people feel unsafe.

The Geologist
May 26, 2006, 10:57 pm
Every time you see a satellite overhead, they can get a good enough shot to read your name on the nametag pinned to your shirt and thensome. You are always being watched, and it's been going on since the '70's.

Zero72
May 26, 2006, 10:59 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SwarmerWhat's the big deal with anti-surveillance. Who cares if there are cameras watching me in the streets. If it makes it a safer place to be, then great. It's not like I have no privacy. What am I going to do: go pee in a corner? What could I possibly do that I wouldn't want people seeing, other than something illegal? And if it's illegal, then I deserve to be punished.
Having less terrorist trying to kill you is worth someone seeing you pick your nose.
Respect +++

The Geologist
May 26, 2006, 11:20 pm
Wait...how do street cameras stop terrorists? Are you kidding? Any terrorist worth their salt would know how to get around these things. Do you expect them to just stand on the street and plan out a bombing in broad daylight so the cameras can see it? Gimme a break...cameras are great for putting a dent in robberies, muggings, car theft, and a host of other crimes where the proof is captured by these all seeing eyes, but terrorism? Pfft. That, my good man, is very far fetched.

Swarmer
May 26, 2006, 11:54 pm
well yeah, i was just giving a quick example. I'm just talking about bad people in general.

and I don't think satallite cameras can see that well. The best satallite pictures of cities have a resolution of about 4 inches per pixel. Maybe government security ones are better, but I would doubt it having a resoultion high enough to read a nametag. That'd be like a millimeter per pixel. I might be wrong. If they can do that, that's pretty amazing.

wormdundee
May 27, 2006, 12:11 am
The best satellite pictures of cities that you personally can see are probably not even close to the best there are.

I'm going to assume that American spy satellites have crazy ass resolution, maybe not enough to read a nametag, but pretty close.

It's like commercial GPS units. They have built-in fudge factors for lat and long so that they can't be used for pinpoint bombing or anything. The military obviously has the real GPS.

Fangus Deef
May 27, 2006, 12:20 am
who the hell even wears a nametag?

Keron Cyst
May 27, 2006, 12:36 am
He's giving an example of how detailed satellite images can get!! Of course people don't go just waltzing randomly around with nametags (unless they're volunteers or staff members of some place).

MOFO NOFO
May 27, 2006, 12:39 am
I do....

shoover
May 27, 2006, 12:45 am
There might be internet predators out there. Thank god for survalience

The Geologist
May 27, 2006, 3:31 am
It's not just "American spy satellies" these days. Nothing to do with GPS, which is intentionally dulled down for the commercial populous. Nothing in civilian use gets that detailed (there is indeed a fudge factor), what I was refering to is meant for military and government use. They've been doing it for years and years...I can only imagine the crazy stuff currently in use.

Captain Ben
May 27, 2006, 7:53 am
Great, now I feel stupid for checking the mail nakle this morning.

Seriously.

bja888
May 27, 2006, 5:00 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Swarmerwell yeah, i was just giving a quick example. I'm just talking about bad people in general.

and I don't think satallite cameras can see that well. The best satallite pictures of cities have a resolution of about 4 inches per pixel. Maybe government security ones are better, but I would doubt it having a resoultion high enough to read a nametag. That'd be like a millimeter per pixel. I might be wrong. If they can do that, that's pretty amazing.

Learn the difference between digital zoom and optical zoom nub. And yes, if we have a telescope that can see Pluto, then we sure as hell can see you from right outside the atmosphere.

Personally, I dont give a funk about cameras on street corners. I think its funny that someone is watching cameras though...

Swarmer
May 27, 2006, 8:10 pm
What does digital and optical zoom have to do with my post...
I don't really know for sure the difference, but I'm guessing that digital is when you enlarge the pixels, while optical is when you actually look closer with the camera?
What I meant with the 4 inch resolution thing is that if you looked at a photo from it, each pixel you see would represent 4 inches in real life.

bja888
May 27, 2006, 8:49 pm
A negative taken by a regular camera is not measured in pixels but atoms. Therefor, you can zoom into the point where 1 atom = 1 pixel. While the zoom capabilities for a satellite is only limited by the size of the lens.

Digital format is not lossless. Digital might be portable but the quality due to compression is pathetic. Some of us can hear the difference between listening to a CD vs an MP3 player.