( search forums )
Bullet Proof Shield (With movies and screens)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
MOFO NOFO
May 27, 2006, 2:40 pm
Well.. heres another topic on the infamous bulletproof shield...

But this time, there is better preparation into this discussion.

I think we should have a bulletproof shield as a secondary, reasons? Because it would add new challenge to the game.
How will it be done? Well.. i think (note: liquid metal suggested this to me at school) that it should act like a poly infront of you, or a collider.. Blocking out most damage. And it should be able to protect you from explosions, but NOT splash damage. In being able to act like a poly, it should ricochet bullets.
Here's 2 images:
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

I also think that it should be able to hurt people (not alot, as i did, but mabye as strong as a deagle attack)
Heres the video: [URL]

If it SHOULDNT be able to attack, then when you click, it blocks bullets, but mabye you cant move (?) or mabye you have to hold click button to block, but cant throw nades whilst holding fire..

Discuss.

rabidhamster
May 27, 2006, 4:05 pm
The video makes no sense whatsoever.

MOFO NOFO
May 27, 2006, 4:26 pm
I know, i just felt like testing the shield.

rhide
May 27, 2006, 5:37 pm
Sooo.. when would it be good?

In small matches, like 1v1 and 2v2 you need speed and flexibility rather than a bunker, I think it would be most useful in large teamgames, like tactical Real/survival CTF, 2 people could team up, 1 sprayer and 1 shielder.

Imo, it would not be too useful, more than making it easier for snipers/grenaders/sprayer to bunker up and get more protection than they should. Camping IS very FUN and challenging, but this could make it overpowered, especially if the shield does damage too.

MOFO NOFO
May 27, 2006, 5:42 pm
Well, to balance it, it should have an "ammo" for how long you can hold it up, then "reload" it.
Also, it mabye should just be held up to block.. But you still can recieve damage through it (mabye if bullets hit the grey thingo)

TACKLEbeast666
May 27, 2006, 7:05 pm
this is not a bad idea coming from mofo nofo (nice name..), i think it wouldn't give snipers that big of an edge because their gun won't be ready to fire while they use the shield, so they have to switch back to sniper to let the gun be reload and stuff...

i think maybe we should replace chainsaw with this, because chainsaw is so useless in any maps except small ones (still not that useful), with this shield still doing chainsaw damage at close range, but be able to block enemy damage, this will encourage many people learn to master this weapon(i know i would try to) and it'll probably add a new angle of entertainment to the game.

and i think you should be able to move the shield above you, in front, below....etc. to block shots.

yea, maybe you have to click to use the shield ability to block, and maybe you can also only kill enemies when you're holding down the mouse.

and yes, i think it would be good in 1 v 1 as well, if people take the time to learn this weapon.

and yea make it reload.

MOFO NOFO
May 27, 2006, 7:59 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by TACKLEbeast666this is not a bad idea coming from mofo nofo (nice name..)

Yeah, and dont you wear it out.

Quote:Originally posted by TACKLEbeast666
i think maybe we should replace chainsaw with this, because chainsaw is so useless in any maps except small ones (still not that useful), with this shield still doing chainsaw damage at close range, but be able to block enemy damage, this will encourage many people learn to master this weapon(i know i would try to) and it'll probably add a new angle of entertainment to the game.

DEFINATLY NOT MM himself said he would not remove any of the weapons.. And chainsaw is fun.

and i think you should be able to move the shield above you, in front, below....etc. to block shots.

Well duh, what do you think the mouse is for?!(and crouching blocks low)

yea, maybe you have to click to use the shield ability to block, and maybe you can also only kill enemies when you're holding down the mouse.

I dont think the killing thing should be make, too many weapons in soldat can kill already ;) (except M72 LAW.. that thing DESTROYS)

and yea make it reload.

Yeah, the balance will be better this way

Captain Ben
May 28, 2006, 2:41 am
I'll only support this if you can ride down slopes with it.

-Arbalest-
May 28, 2006, 7:04 am
Great idea, I always wanted to use a shield in this game. However you tune it down a little to stop people from potentially abusing it to charge in to take flag. I suggest that movement speed and jet fuel to be reduced while using a shield.

Oh and I suggest that the shield be a combination with other secondary weapon except LAW and maybe chainsaw. By this I mean when you swtich to secondary you wield a shield with one hand and carry a SOCOM or knife with the other. If this is a bit overpowered we can always add higher binks to the combination or that the shield only blocks a percentage of the bullet.

Another possible variation is that we give the shield a heatlh. Meaning it will only take a number of shots or explosions before disintergrating. Also please take in consideration the idea of gradually slows down (or eventually to a complete stop) a shield wielder if you continually hit it with rifle fire on the SAME screen. This what I call the 'pin-down' effect. I think if you use explosion on the shield it should knock it back. Unless M79 shells and nades also bounce of the shield. O_O would it?!

I highly support this idea.

I can almost imagine people reacting the scene from "Troy" by joing their shields and marching fearlessly towards the enemies' base.

P.S. When are we going to add trojan horses to the game?

-Arbalest-
May 28, 2006, 7:09 am
Further study have, I mean a glance at the screen shot has showed that the concept shield does not shelter the head(maybe unless when crouching), thus for I conculde that head shots are still possible?

This is gonna be interesting...

vash763
May 28, 2006, 8:24 am
If it was like a shield that deflected bullets. It'd be cool.

Any explosions and the Barret should destroy the thing.

You should be able to throw nades, but not able to shoot.

Hold to raise shield.

Maybe you could do the blind fire thing if you crouch behind a teamate witha a shield.

MOFO NOFO
May 28, 2006, 11:15 am
That would only work if MM implements that you cant attack teammates/bullets go through them.

Deleted User
May 28, 2006, 2:12 pm
I remember this has been suggested and almost added on soldat.But my opinion is this should be great on soldat.

You can say if im wrong

TACKLEbeast666
May 28, 2006, 9:11 pm
i say combine this with chainsaw, not taking off chainsaw!!! jesus christ...that's not what i said earlier.

because chainsaw is not useful (fun, but not useful), but combine it with this shield will make chainsaw A LOT more useful, and still fun. (think of um...a jedi...deflect bullets, and coming in close to an enemy and take them out close range)

if the shield is made by it self, it'll be almost useless...for example, the enemy could just stand there dodging your nads while waiting for you to either reload the shield or switch weapon.....that's why add the chainsaw affect, so you can go chase enemies :)

MOFO NOFO
May 29, 2006, 2:16 am
F*ck you're an idiot.
Sorry to any admins/moderators reading this but DAMN MAN like wtf are you smoking?!

How the HELL does a saw and SHIELD go together? ARE YOU SOME DAMN KNIGHT?!

How can something that protects you be useless? Imagine your teammate running back to your base with the flag in kampf, and you see a sniper guy.. but your reloading your gun..then you TAKE OUT YA SHIELD AND BLOCK HIS WAY!
Seriously..

...And your name sucks.

TACKLEbeast666
May 29, 2006, 7:07 am
i didn't even know you were talking to be untill the fifth line.

anyway.

how is holding up a semi invincible shield that's easily penetrated by grenads while you can't reload and you need to click to block and reload very useful? seriously, who would actually go around use a shield to block for your teammates? besides, the shield is so small..how the [CENSORED] are you suppose to block anybody except yourself?
you'd have to have very good manuvering skills and be able to jump into the bullet while aim your shield at it and click...that's very hard i think if your teammates are trying to score...

add it to chainsaw because chainsaw's useless, and i don't think michael will add a new secondary, so we might as well. and it suits the original idea...i think the idea you posted?????? (wtf you are a douche *haha not censored*)...you said that the shield should be able to kill enemies....well that's what a chainsaw does i think???

*EDIT:...obviously it won't be a guy holding chainsaw and a shield, but what i meant is it'll replace the chainsaw's role int he game, and you'll have a shield that does chainsaw damage instead of chainsaw....

MOFO NOFO
May 29, 2006, 7:31 am
I also said that if it shouldent, which i dont think it should anyways.

TACKLEbeast666
May 29, 2006, 7:49 pm
then i wouldn't spend my game time trying to jump into the bullet so my teammates could survive...you do know jump into bullets and try to block shots for your teammates are hard right? it'll only be useful for defending yourself, but that's useless if the shield doesn't attack.

Tybs
May 29, 2006, 10:44 pm
In games where people cooperate, it isnt that hard to have one person shield, and one or even two others standing behind him, blowing enemies to death with m79... even with a machinegun, all u need to do is jump, shoot, and take cover again.

TACKLEbeast666
May 29, 2006, 11:11 pm
uh...dude, the shield guy has to be either touching you close...or he has to jump into the shots everytime just to block. because in soldat the people are never all on grounds where the shots are all straight along the ground. most people are flying in mid air while shooting down, or up and in all directions. a little shield the size of a player CAN NOT block anyone else but himself, unless you and him are really really really close, or as i said earlier, he jump into shots everytime.

especially autos, they'll be flying down while spraying at you, unless the shield is huge you can't block your friend.

EDIT: this is not like Troy or any of those movies where shield work can help a lot, people don't fly around with the jets on their boots in those movies, and people don't fly above you and raindown bullets in those movies.

Yuth
May 30, 2006, 2:32 am
I like this Shield idea. As you switch to this Secondary Shield you'd throw your Primary on your back. I really like it - *Thumb Up*

MOFO NOFO
May 31, 2006, 6:46 am
Hmm.. I just wanna have more stratagy in soldat

vash763
May 31, 2006, 7:53 am
 Quote:Originally posted by MOFO NOFOThat would only work if MM implements that you cant attack teammates/bullets go through them.

He could just make your teamate act as a collider so that you prop the gun up over his head and shield.

T-Bone
June 8, 2006, 8:55 am
im thinking it woudl be good if it could only defend against X amount of damage, and the rest penetrates to injure the soldat? If that;s possible or makes any sense. It could work. Other than that it would just be a campers dream come true