( search forums )
The 3 strikes system in the USA
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Ok
May 28, 2006, 2:42 pm
No, I'm not talking about baseball.
I had a little chat with a friend of mine about some latter some guy wrote to the Kneset (Its our version of the british parlament), on how they should get off their fat asses and start making some harsher rules and punishments for criminals.

Anyhow, at some point he mentioned the 3 strikes system in the US.
Which I've never heard about, according to him it goes like this:
If you have 3 strikes meaning you've been found guilty 3 times in the same crime.. you get a life sentence... no matter what is the crime..

That doesnt make sense to me, prehapes he got it wrong? is he right?
IS there a 3 strike system AT ALL? mind telling me about it?

thekingkitty
May 28, 2006, 2:54 pm
If i was caught stealing bagels, 3 times in a row, i dont think i would get a life sentence.

Bah false...

or is it

Deleted User
May 28, 2006, 3:16 pm
i remember hearing from my teacher once, that if someone gets convicted by murder or some bad thing, and they are stated Free in court.

the same person can convict that person again

The Geologist
May 28, 2006, 3:25 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_strikes_law

Here's a simple rundown. Basically, individuals who commit the same felony level crime three times in a row (drunk driving, rape, violent crimes, etc) are supposed to recieve an extended sentance as a means to stop repeat offenders.

Edit: It's meant for violent, serious offenses, nothing like King Kitty spoke of.

Fangus Deef
May 28, 2006, 5:22 pm
I think it's a stupid law, it's caused more deaths to police and citizens than helped crime. Felons are willing to kill in order not to go to prison for the rest of their life on their 3rd strike. We just need tougher laws on violent crimes and sexual crimes, the way it is now is like "Okay man, you get 2 free passes to assault with a deadly weapon, please don't do it more than twice"

Echo_Trail
May 28, 2006, 5:46 pm
He didn't say lifesentence, did he.. he just said you get a larger punishment..

papasurf31
May 28, 2006, 6:06 pm
What Fangus said, although I myself am not a supporter of capital punishment. Life sentence is good enough.

Swarmer
May 28, 2006, 7:07 pm
It's only for felonies. But it should be changed to 3 felonies in general, not 3 of the same kind. And obviously it's possible to get life in prison for the first or second time, depending on how serious it was.

FliesLikeABrick
May 28, 2006, 7:41 pm
Thanks to The Geologist for making such a concise post <3

I just want to add that [in addition to what he listed], it also is applied to things like drug trafficing etc, as those are also felony-level

shoover
May 28, 2006, 8:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by thekingkittyIf i was caught stealing bagels, 3 times in a row, i dont think i would get a life sentence.

Bah false...

or is it

The Importing of bagels have been statisticlly lower since 2003, a bagel crime 3 times would sentence you to a lifetime sentence mining the secret cream cheese underground world. And if you do well the 1st year. You would be promoted to churning the butter. MUWAHAHAH

Ok
May 28, 2006, 10:06 pm
Goodie, another thing learned.
Thanks for the info :)

I seriously have no opinion about that, I guess it sound reasonable..
I mean, doing it 3 times in a raw, or doing 3 felonies in a raw shows your chances of becoming a good cidizen are pretty low.

Btw Fact:
In Israel Life sentence=25 years.
At times you hear about ppl getting 2-3 life sentences, which sounds pretty wierd..
But that's how it is anyhow :)

FliesLikeABrick
May 28, 2006, 10:27 pm
btw the phrase is "3 times in a row" not "raw" ;)

Ok
May 30, 2006, 1:07 am
Well its not the phrase, its just the word "raw" and "row" ^_^