( search forums )
Bad Word Filter Needed
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
The_Revolution@ry
May 29, 2006, 4:24 am
I personally am annoyed by the over use of profanity in soldat and i have friends who play it, who feel the same. I also have friends who probably would play it if this wasn't such a problem. when a kid or your mom walks in the room and starts watching, it's uncomfortable and annoying when people in the game start flaming eachother. If there is some way to easily create a bad word filter, then please tell me since i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these things. But if not, dont you think it would be a nice option to be able to just click something and all the cuss words get bleeped out? Even if it's just for your poor conservitive grandma's sake [lol]. ok, ill stop b4 i start getting to cheasey

GNU
May 29, 2006, 4:44 am
/mute

Ivel
May 29, 2006, 5:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by GNU/mute

And also you can just not let your mom come in? Unless she has too XD :P Although Mute is the best idea

The_Revolution@ry
May 29, 2006, 8:01 am
well, yeah, ok mute, but what if i want to communicate?
[and the computer is out in the open pretty much so yeah...]

rhide
May 29, 2006, 9:08 am
The filter itself is actually very easy to code, and adding a checkbox for it would be great. The hard part is to add a reasonable amount of curse-words..

Jermies
May 29, 2006, 9:12 am
There are some people who have nothing better to do then make databases for those things... welcome to the Internet :P

MOFO NOFO
May 29, 2006, 9:15 am
Play runescape instead, you big wussy.

Ivel
May 29, 2006, 3:06 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by MOFO NOFOPlay runescape instead, you big wussy.

Lmao. Dude, when you mute them, they can still see you talk. just MUTE THEM!!!

Eagles_Arrows
May 29, 2006, 4:20 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by MOFO NOFOPlay runescape instead, you big wussy.

Or Gunbound.

If you can't handle the [CENSORED]ing profanity, then use the [CENSORED]ing mute command.

0xSilentx0
May 29, 2006, 4:57 pm
Or you could simply:

"Hey guys my mom is in the room, stop cussing please!"

They'll probably curse more, but its worth a try right?

Deleted User
May 29, 2006, 5:35 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by 0xSilentx0"Hey guys my mom is in the room, stop cussing please!"

They'll probably curse more, but its worth a try right?

I, for one, will spam obscenities whenever I see this.

An option for something like this would be okay, but it can't be forced.

rabidhamster
May 29, 2006, 6:32 pm
If you have a server, Get ARSSE. Do this on the OnSpeak action:
[code]OnPlayerSpeak

if $MESSAGE = *[CENSORED]*
kick $PLAYER_NUM
/say $PLAYER_NAME kicked for swearing.
endif
kick $PLAYER_NUM
endif
kick $PLAYER_NUM
endif
kick $PLAYER_NUM
endif
[/code]Replace the [CENSORED]s with swear words. Remember to put the stars around the words, otherwise it won't work.

GluLm
May 29, 2006, 10:49 pm
Just mute everyone by editing your Soldat.ini (change 'Console_Show=1' to 'Console_Show=0').
And mute your mom if she feels offended too. ;)

RabidTreeFrog
May 30, 2006, 1:01 am
Dude are you [CENSORED]ing 7 years old?
/snarkiness.

Anyway, if there WAS a filter, people would find a way around it.Thus, MM and server owners would spend too much time on the filter than on the game and/or server.

The_Revolution@ry
May 30, 2006, 8:46 pm
Well, looks like i'll just be using the /mute option, thanks for the help all of you who were helpfull,
and to the rest of you... pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!!!
muahuahahahahaha!!!!

Soulsnipa
May 30, 2006, 9:39 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by RabidTreeFrogDude are you [CENSORED]ing 7 years old?
/snarkiness.

Anyway, if there WAS a filter, people would find a way around it.Thus, MM and server owners would spend too much time on the filter than on the game and/or server.

7?...5

?
May 31, 2006, 5:56 pm
I suggested this a while back and though it got a little support nothing happened.

a-4-year-old
May 31, 2006, 10:01 pm
[CENSORED] the [CENSORED]ing [CENSORED] idea what the [CENSORED] are you [CENSORED]ing thinking with such a [CENSORED]ing [CENSORED] retarded [CENSORED] [CENSORED] idea?

XenocidE
May 31, 2006, 11:33 pm
Wow, I for one am down disgusted with how this community is acting currently. Suggesting a word filter to get rid of curses players say in game shouldn't be flamed. I actually completely support this idea, and if some of you kids that are 12 years old or so curse online. Then your parents need better parenting. And if you flame me saying, "oh you're like 5 years old, stop complaining." I'm going to tell you that this is all coming from a parent. I'd like to be able to see my son, in a few years, be able to play this game. But if he's going to be playing and see "[CENSORED]ing Noob," "Die [CENSORED]," "[CENSORED] off," "[CENSORED]ing [CENSORED]," etc. I'm not going to want my son playinig.

Also, saying that you don't want him to play because he's young; is just dispicable. Grow up you immature [CENSORED]s. Calling him young, and flaming him, because he thinks that a Word Filter should be implamented makes you look like the little immature [CENSORED]s. So grow up and show some [CENSORED]ing common curtacy.

The_Revolution@ry
May 31, 2006, 11:48 pm
WOOT!
lol

RabidTreeFrog
May 31, 2006, 11:51 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by XenocidEWow, I for one am down disgusted with how this community is acting currently. Suggesting a word filter to get rid of curses players say in game shouldn't be flamed. I actually completely support this idea, and if some of you kids that are 12 years old or so curse online. Then your parents need better parenting. And if you flame me saying, "oh you're like 5 years old, stop complaining." I'm going to tell you that this is all coming from a parent. I'd like to be able to see my son, in a few years, be able to play this game. But if he's going to be playing and see "[CENSORED]ing Noob," "Die [CENSORED]," "[CENSORED] off," "[CENSORED]ing [CENSORED]," etc. I'm not going to want my son playinig.

Also, saying that you don't want him to play because he's young; is just dispicable. Grow up you immature [CENSORED]s. Calling him young, and flaming him, because he thinks that a Word Filter should be implamented makes you look like the little immature [CENSORED]s. So grow up and show some [CENSORED]ing common curtacy.

Don't kill me...

Anyway this WOULD be a good idea, but people would just evade the filter like in every other game.

candiedkobolds
June 1, 2006, 2:03 am
Yeah, if there was a filter, it would work for a few minutes, but people would find ways around it. Darn swearers, make it hard to play if parents are home.

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 3:22 am
I don't think a filter is needed.
Words are words, you can't shelter and protect you're child forever.
Especially if the kid goes to public schools, thats one of the worst places for profanity in my opinion.
I know you say "but i don't want my kid seeing or hearing the curse word because he might imitate what he hears and start using it..." well that all boils down to parenting.
If you teach you're child that saying those words are wrong then there shouldnt be a problem there (yes I know some kids are very rebellious, but that dosent change anything, good parenting can put a stop to it if done correctly).
If you never tell you're kid that curse words are wrong and if you use them too, chances are my friend, your kid will probably start using the cursewords themselves.
That is all I have to say about that, falme me if you like, but I could care less...

XenocidE
June 1, 2006, 8:29 am
/hugs

nah, I don't like to flame unless it's necessary. But you guys are correct, in the fact that people will get around cursing online. But if it's just a player side thing and maybe only that player can't see the curse word, the this idea has full purpose and meaning.

Also OFFTOPIC:

Sethamundo, you're completely right. Parenting is tough in itself, and to teach your kid the ways of cursing is bad and if you do it punishment is soon to follow. I'm 20 and I still don't curse around my parents, family members, or my friends parents. It's rude and despicable, and looked down upon. So having my son grow up without cursing is going to be hard (damn public schools). But non-the-less, most things usually turn out for the best.

dv297
June 3, 2006, 3:43 am
Like everyone said, theres always a way around, 1337 language, alt codes, caps, etc etc

Plus, unless its a really good filter, filters tend to block stuff thats not offensive. Like, runescape and gunz. Those are terrible.

I'd just rather not have a filter

shoover
June 3, 2006, 7:23 am
Well if this idea were to happen. Heres what i think the plan would be.

a file in soldat directory called filter.txt You just add words in there. Id say examples but soldatforums would block there. And I dont want to go in full detail about how you replace the words. Such as lets say Satan wants to be blocked. Well Just go in one way S*t*n. or just symbols like $@!#$.

A CMD called /loadfilter xxx. Where it would obviously load a filter.txt

And this might be possible /addfilter xxx or /filter xxx To add swear words.

Deleted User
June 3, 2006, 8:24 am
Ya know...shoover just might be onto somthing...despite what i said..tahts a pretty good idea..would satisfy everyone...dont want swear words?..just edit the text file ^_^
good thinking shoover

Deleted User
June 4, 2006, 3:14 am
YESS, I have always wanted something like this.

Fraggy
June 4, 2006, 8:26 pm
hmm i guess it's cool...i am banned from this server for repeated swearing, how lame tough..

a-4-year-old
June 5, 2006, 1:55 am
 Quote:Originally posted by XenocidEWow, I for one am down disgusted with how this community is acting currently. Suggesting a word filter to get rid of curses players say in game shouldn't be flamed. I actually completely support this idea, and if some of you kids that are 12 years old or so curse online. Then your parents need better parenting. And if you flame me saying, "oh you're like 5 years old, stop complaining." I'm going to tell you that this is all coming from a parent. I'd like to be able to see my son, in a few years, be able to play this game. But if he's going to be playing and see "[CENSORED]ing Noob," "Die [CENSORED]," "[CENSORED] off," "[CENSORED]ing [CENSORED]," etc. I'm not going to want my son playinig.

oh sure, let your kid blow the [CENSORED] out of something but the corpse cant curse you off?

BooBoo McBad
June 5, 2006, 9:21 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by The_Revolution@rywell, yeah, ok mute, but what if i want to communicate?
[and the computer is out in the open pretty much so yeah...]

You whiner, if your mother comes in just type /mute, then unmute when she leaves.

kalatix
June 5, 2006, 9:58 pm
Well, instead of calling people 5-year-olds or whiners *AHEM^* We've already suggested to make it optional. So people who don't mind and/or like swearing, go for it. For people who don't want it, go ahead. :)

On a side note, Sethamundo, any and every child gets influence from everyone s/he sees, hears, and experiences. So if you can cut down on the bad influence that s/he is getting, that's a good thing. You shouldn't just give up, right? :]

a-4-year-old
June 6, 2006, 9:31 pm
swearing one of the least offensive things in this game, if you need a swear filter so much you should also delete your gore files, why dont you just not play soldat at all? go play gunz.

Mr. Domino
June 7, 2006, 8:34 am
The problem with filters is that it's too easy to get around them, and they have the potential to ban "clean" words that have "bad" words in them such as "spicy" and "assertive." Just ignore and mute the person bothering you.

a-4-year-old
June 7, 2006, 8:35 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Mr. DominoThe problem with filters is that it's too easy to get around them, and they have the potential to ban "clean" words that have "bad" words in them such as "spicy" and "assertive." Just ignore and mute the person bothering you.

i dont get it, what bad word is in spicy?

RabidTreeFrog
June 7, 2006, 8:40 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old
i dont get it, what bad word is in spicy?

Remove the Y from spicy and you get a term that is offensive to a specific ethnic group.