( search forums )
Let's have a look...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
R0L4ND
May 29, 2006, 8:41 pm
While I understand that many, if not all of the weapons that are put in Soldat are there to fill a niche, I think that the weapons themselves need improvement to (believe it or not) coincide better with their real life counterparts. Some of these suggestions are just my taste, however.

1. Desert Eagles - Personal opinion, but I'd like to see these substituted against a Colt Python .357. Obviously six shots, slightly weaker, but with lower recoil, flatter trajectory and faster reload.

2. AK74 - Option number one: make it behave more like a real life AK74, which would result in a 30-round clip, faster rate of fire, lower recoil and lesser damage, or make it into an AKM (Modernized AK47): slightly faster rate of fire, 30-round clip and same recoil.

3. Ruger 77 - this gun is so far off what the real thing is like, it's silly. I dont know where the four-round magazine capacity came from, but here are my suggestions: basically turn it into a Barrett lite. Changes from the current version would be 5-round magazine that reloads at the same rate as the SPAS12 (seeing since the magazine is internal), SLOWER rate of fire (1.5 seconds per shot) and a slight scope "magnification", like the Barrett. Second option is to switch the Ruger 77 with an M1 Garand - 8 rounds, 1.7 second reload, slightly faster rate of fire, less damage, and a heck of a lot less recoil. (let's face it, the Ruger 77 currently kicks like a mule)

4. M249 - while many of you seem to like weilding this thing as a submachinegun, heading head first into battle with it, bullets flying everywhere, this gun is a support fire gun. So let's either turn it into one, or replace it with a battle rifle, like the G3. In the first case, my suggestion would be to give it a 200-round clip, faster rate of fire (along the lines of the MP5), same damage as the Steyr AUG, and many changes to the handling of the gun, which would include severe recoil while firing on the move, slight speed penalty, but obviously this gun would be a formidable platform in defensive positions, as crouching and proning gives the weapon stability as well as a slight reload-speed bonus. If 200 rounds is too much, turn the gun into an M60 - 100 rounds, lower ROF, higher damage.
If you want a battlerifle instead of a support rifle, make the M249 into a G3 - 20 round magazine, ROF slightly faster than the current AK74, pretty hard recoil, and a reload equivalent to the current AK74.

You could turn the current M249 slot into a G3 and the current minigun slot to an M249, seeing as the minigun would become pretty much obsolete with the aforementioned suggestions. (Plus, not many people use it anyway)

TACKLEbeast666
May 29, 2006, 9:01 pm
1. sure, this is the best suggestion you've made so far, but i dont' see the problem with desert eagle

2. i think they made ak74 the way it is right now due to balancing...otherwise we all know ak74 is not as advanced as some of the other modern day weapons...obviously less damage 30 clip but same recoil would result in a weaker version of steyr or something.

3.they also made it the way it is because balance, besides, ruger is very powerful in my hand, and in other people who learned how to use it. if slow it down then it'll be weak as hell. ruger is intended to be a mobile semi-sniper rifle, people who use it will constantly moving while still hit very far and accurate shots.

4. people don't use that as mp5..it got low damage, but very accurate, even more than ak74, and with its somewhat fast firing speed this is the best long to medium range auto.
so there isn't a problem with it. but if you make it 200 round...same reload as ak 74...same damage as steyr...and faster?!??! that'll just create a monster...it'll be more powerful than any other weapon out there because you never reload (even if you do it takes like 2 seconds), high damage, high rate of fire.

5. well you talked about minigun, yea we should do something about minigun, it is pretty much useless....but FN mini/m249 is fine as it is, very powerful long range auto.

bja888
May 29, 2006, 9:18 pm
There seems to be a trend in the suggestions where there are the people who want it real and there are people who want it fun.

From the real point of view: True, most of the guns to no due the real weapon justice. There are a ton of things that need to be fixed to turn this game into a 2D Urban Terror (http://www.urbanterror.net like counterstrike only more realistic). That would mean people would charge into battle less or much slower fearing for their life.

From the fun point of view: Its a 2D shooter with rocket boots. Who cares how real/not-real the guns are. Just as long as its fast and fun! Any attempt at changing the guns would harm that that balance MM has been working so hard on to perfect all this time.

TACKLEbeast666
May 29, 2006, 11:14 pm
amen.

if you guys really want to make it real, change minigun into one hit kills with 500 bullets per clip.

that's how real the gun should be.

Yuth
May 30, 2006, 12:37 am
The only things I agree to, are:

Improved Minigun - And a Ruger 77 with 5 bullets and the reload of Spas-12.
Improved Minigun because it really stinks at the moment.

The ideas are not bad though - A tad unclear.

Who flung poo
May 30, 2006, 12:44 am
That sounds good but if you're gonna have the Ruger 77 reload the same as the Spas, it would that be a bolt-action wouldn't it? Which would mean a little longer reload time.

Yuth
May 30, 2006, 12:46 am
I don't see why it shouldn't have the same reload time as Spas-12.

R0L4ND
May 30, 2006, 5:16 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888There seems to be a trend in the suggestions where there are the people who want it real and there are people who want it fun.

From the real point of view: True, most of the guns to no due the real weapon justice. There are a ton of things that need to be fixed to turn this game into a 2D Urban Terror (http://www.urbanterror.net like counterstrike only more realistic). That would mean people would charge into battle less or much slower fearing for their life.

From the fun point of view: Its a 2D shooter with rocket boots. Who cares how real/not-real the guns are. Just as long as its fast and fun! Any attempt at changing the guns would harm that that balance MM has been working so hard on to perfect all this time.

I know what you mean, but some of the soldat incarnations of the weapons in the game are just TOO far off the mark. AK74 with a ROF THAT sluggish and a 40-round clip? WTF? Ruger 77 with a mystical 4-round clip and the rate of fire of a semi-automatic rifle?