( search forums )
real falling
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
May 31, 2006, 2:51 am
long story short: there should be no maximum falling speed for players
continue reading for details...

this isn't a suggestion to implement something new. it's merely enhancing our gaming experience - a mere detail.

i noticed that, unlike weapons and other objects, players have a terminal velocity in the game - and that often pisses me off. it's really hard to explain why or how, but when falling at high speeds, my knife always misses because the players have a max falling speed... i'm sure when double M first wrote the lines of code to make ppl stop increasing speed when falling, he had a good purpose. but it really seems weird to see how ppl suddenly stop increasing speed unexpecedly.

don't try to tell me "but people in real life have a terminal velocity bla bla bla" - that's at like 80 mph (or kmph - nontheless). the speed at which the players stop is definetly nowhere near 80 gkmph (game kilometers per hour).

Also, this should be a really easy feature (or anti-feature) to implement...

rhide
May 31, 2006, 10:02 am
I agree, soldat claims they use real life physics after all, so now would be a good time to live up to that! :|

Zero72
May 31, 2006, 11:01 am
Hmm, I wouldn't mind that at all.

Zegovia
May 31, 2006, 11:12 am
You mean they continousley falls faster and faster...and faster...?

Yeah id like that..

rabidhamster
May 31, 2006, 11:54 am
IT'd be cool if they player's body compressed just a little bit for a quarter second as well. Another nice touch. During that "compression stage," the player would still be able to move and shoot. It'd just be a visual touch.

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 7:48 pm
On what map would you fall far enough to ever exceed the terminal velocity of a soldat?

Just assume they're made of paper dolls stuffed with hamsters and that's why they fall so slowly.

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 8:37 pm
i couldnt care less either way....lol rag doll physics all the way!!

a-4-year-old
May 31, 2006, 9:58 pm
i have never continued to fall that long without ether plunging to my doom in airpirates, or just respawning

edak
May 31, 2006, 10:11 pm
I agree, make them fall!

Alamo
May 31, 2006, 10:55 pm
I remember my old favourite map Fall.
You fell a looong way in that map... Complete mid-air mayhem <3 Aah, memories ;)

I never encountered any problems considering final speed... But if you really want Soldat to have real life physics, the bullets should be faster, the characters shouldn't jump as high, break their legs when carrying two miniguns etc. etc.

Keron Cyst
May 31, 2006, 11:55 pm
Humans have a maximum falling speed in real life, you know. It's called "air resistance."

But now that you mention it, I never realized that weapons and other objects never had max. falling speeds. They should, then.

TACKLEbeast666
June 1, 2006, 12:44 am
YEA YEA YEA AND WHEN TEH PLAYAS LANDSS, THEY COULD LIKE POP OPEN THEIR PANTS AND [CENSORED] THEMSELVES!!! THAT'S VERY REALISTIcf!!!!

i don't see the point of this, knife is fine as it is.

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 3:01 am
tackle he isnt talking about only the knife...did you read the whole post?

iDante
June 1, 2006, 3:36 am
Keron Cyst, its called Terminal Velocity.
I just know that on inf_Fortress, its extremly fun to grab a saw, stand on the roof as red, jetpack as high as you can and fall directly into the hole in the roof and saw away, it would be a lot more fun with raised terminal velocity, maybe only in non-realistic.

bja888
June 1, 2006, 4:34 am
[IMAGE]

zyxstand
June 1, 2006, 5:03 am
ight keron, read my topic. i already said that i understand the conecept of terminal velocity, but one does not reach such speeds for many seconds. next time u play soldat ask someone to DROP a grenade next to u just as u start to fall. u'll see that the grenade continues to increase speed and you, at one point, don't. terminal velocity has definitely not been reached yet... that would take plenty seconds (plenty being approximately 8).

Jermies
June 1, 2006, 6:54 am
Sadly, this would lead to bad calculations for aerial sawers like me, so I say no.

Yuth
June 1, 2006, 9:06 am
Weapons fall faster than the Soldat.
I think there should be some kind of system for gravity in this game.

Even the knife fall faster than the Soldat.
Just make it easy, use size as weight.

And maybe material effects, like metal, iron, flesh etc.

Elephant_Hunter
June 1, 2006, 9:28 am
You only reach terminal velocity when the force of gravity meets the force of air drag.

In real physics, not all objects have the same terminal velocity. Smaller objects tend to produce less drag and therefore have a much higher terminal velocity.

bja888
June 1, 2006, 3:40 pm
In an air free (friction free) environment everything falls at the same speed until it reaches a certain speed. Argument over!

So lets have an air free soldat! It will be fun! You spawn then die from lack of oxygen ;)

zyxstand
June 2, 2006, 5:37 am
no - u spawn, you explode due to absence of matter.
listen elephant hunter - i don't need lessons from YOU in physics... the speeds at which soldiers reach max speed in the game is nowhere NEAR terminal velocity! like i said, in real life it would take approximately 8 seconds to reach that - then so it should in the game... but then again people cannot jump 6 times their own height in real life either. all i'm saying is that the terminal velocity is too soon... i don't think medic boxes will fall as fast as grenades or grenade boxes in real life either...

Beren
June 2, 2006, 6:12 am
I agree with the original suggestion, I'd like to see a little more realistic fall.

vash763
June 2, 2006, 8:27 am
 Quote:Originally posted by rhideI agree, soldat claims they use real life physics after all, so now would be a good time to live up to that! :|

Soldat claims to use physics based on real life phyiscs.

Quote:Originally posted by YuthI think there should be some kind of system for gravity in this game.

There is gravity in the game you [CENSORED]ing moron.

Fraggy
June 2, 2006, 10:08 pm
I think there should be some kind of system to avoid gravity in this game.

shoover
June 2, 2006, 10:50 pm
its called hacking fraggy...

Anyways, i guess what you are all saying is the velocity right now is when we are falling, the speed falling is 10-11-12. Thats not real life. Like it should be 10-12-15-19-25. and like realistic mode. how they have the falling damage.

bja888
June 3, 2006, 12:29 am
One of the biggest problems I have had with the game is not being able to move fast enough. Yes you can get better at it but when you jump up in the air you have in the same spot for at least 1 whole second and one with a m79 can take advantage of you. I think faster gravity will help this. That or being able to flip upside down and jet down :)

zyxstand
June 3, 2006, 12:52 am
no shoover, we're not saying that fall speed should be made quadratic... it's supposed to stay linear like in rea life - it just isn't supposed to reach terminal velocity so soon (or at all) cuz that throws you off esp. with ur knife calculations...

Fraggy
June 3, 2006, 10:50 am
lol but hacking is lame, how about a new bonus for unlimited jet? ^^

like u ever fall deep anough for that zyxstand

Yuth
June 3, 2006, 2:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by vash763 Quote:Originally posted by rhideI agree, soldat claims they use real life physics after all, so now would be a good time to live up to that! :|

Quote:Originally posted by YuthI think there should be some kind of system for gravity in this game.

What I meant by that was a new system for gravity.
And no, I'm not a [CENSORED]ing moron.
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888One of the biggest problems I have had with the game is not being able to move fast enough. Yes you can get better at it but when you jump up in the air you have in the same spot for at least 1 whole second and one with a m79 can take advantage of you. I think faster gravity will help this. That or being able to flip upside down and jet down :)

I totally agree.

zyxstand
June 3, 2006, 8:29 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Yuth Quote:Originally posted by vash763 Quote:Originally posted by rhideI agree, soldat claims they use real life physics after all, so now would be a good time to live up to that! :|

What I meant by that was a new system for gravity.
And no, I'm not a [CENSORED]ing moron.
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888One of the biggest problems I have had with the game is not being able to move fast enough. Yes you can get better at it but when you jump up in the air you have in the same spot for at least 1 whole second and one with a m79 can take advantage of you. I think faster gravity will help this. That or being able to flip upside down and jet down :)

I totally agree.

1. no, he's definitely not a moron.
2. if you could move very sharply (as to dodge most likely) then so could others, giving you all the same advantage and resulting in mostly uselessness to an even extent. uhm, what i mean is that all you're thinking about is your own ability to dodge, but it seems you apparently forgot that if your enemies can do the same, it'll be much harder for u to kill them and thus would prove to be more of an annoying ability (lol for redundancy! (x2))

xtishereb
June 4, 2006, 12:06 am
Maybe Mical Marcinkowski could just double the terminal velocity of the player. Make it take like 15 seconds to reach it.
And if you fall for 30 or more seconds at terminal velocity, you die from your body being ripped apart. Like in that "Stick Figure Suicide" flash. :P

zyxstand
June 4, 2006, 3:20 am
make it 9 seconds, realistic n all... that's good enough! i highly doubt there's any map where u can fall for 30 seconds continuously!

Fraggy
June 4, 2006, 2:16 pm
and let the being ripped apart thingie only be for r/s then :)

Boer
June 5, 2006, 11:10 pm
ok then , Y'all know how those skydivers 'dive faster'? they dive!In soldat you should be able to fall faster, not by adding more grav or wird s.. like that, but crouching, mid - air.
There was a suggestion a while back to make the soldat fall faster on demand, but that all involved some magic increase in grav, or something...
If you crouch in a small ball then , less surface area = less drag, so higher teriminal velocity, ... and that leads to faster fall, i say 1.5x than it is now. Real life physics...

zyxstand
June 7, 2006, 9:23 pm
i just realized today while playing the map inf_fortress that even if u go prone and boost (superman) you still fall at the same rate as when falling normally... only difference is you get a horizontal boost as well. just wanted to mention that*