( search forums )
My.. departure?..
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 8:08 pm
So.

Quite awhile ago I started a project known as Ouden. Several other talented people joined the team and for a brief moment, we had the talent and capability to create something that could have (and should!) have been awesome. I learned a lot of C, C++, and OpenGL programming, but unfortunately, real-life intervened.

As some of you may know,.. I am married. Yes, I'm a fully grown male human, in wedlock, with an attractive female human. This is to save any of your precious remarks (No pictures, sorry). Any way. A couple of things happened at home that should never really happen, and I was forced to move 440 miles with two hours notice to a city I'd never been to, abandon my classes and the people here at the forums, all while in a stolen car.

Well, this was during the time in which Ouden was just starting, and needless to say, it put a huge damper on my efforts. I spent several months in a city I'd never been to, in a *state* I'd never been to, working hard to pay off my over-priced apartment and trying to make life work with my wife.

About two or three months later, I get word that my dad kicked the rest of my family out and they're struggling as well. I'm pulling eight to twelve hour shifts doing a job that I despise and I can barely afford my apartment, let alone paying for the car that I stole. Eventually I'm forced to move back before I drown in financial issues, and I was able to re-enroll in my vocational technical classes on financial aid. I picked up a job that I could stand doing before I found another. Fast forward a few months, and here we are today.

I have a job opportunity in another state that will come available to me within the next six or seven weeks. A lot of it is still in the air right now. Unfortunately, this means that I may disappear again for quite some time. I don't know what will happen or if I'll return within the months after, or what, but I want this to be my formal apology to the Ouden team.

You guys were awesome. We all were. I'm sorry that real-life became such a burden to the project. Maybe some day it will be realized. Also,.. I still have every single thing ever created or used by the team. The forums are backed up, the GUI that was created, artwork, etc. is all saved and stored on my HD and on CD. One day maybe we can pick back up where we left off.

In either case, should these be my last few weeks with Soldat, I want to thank everyone for all the awesome times I've had. Michal has produced an amazing game, and his works are nothing short of awe inspiring. That one man could forge a community of such size is a proud statement to big-game industries everywhere. I want to thank all my fellow moderators and forum-goers. Geo for the progress he made with his map, Styx for being so awesome even in his busy schedule, and everyone in general.

Soldat has made so many strides since I first came to it. I believe Chakra said it best, when he asked me, "Who are you?", and I think then I realized just how little touch I had with the community any more. So, rather than simply fade from view, I'd like to make this my quiet farewell, with hopes that I see you all again soon.

Chakra, if you could change my title to "Missing in Action", on these forums and the next, I'd be most appreciative.

I'll be back soon, guys. Or maybe not. That's how life goes.

Stay frosty.

- Jake

n00bface
May 31, 2006, 8:40 pm
If you are going to make this huge interesting farewell post, can't you at least tell us the story about you moving 440 miles away in a stolen car with a 2 hour notice?!

and bye buddy!

Vijchtidoodah
May 31, 2006, 8:57 pm
I hope the new gig works out for you.

"Stay frosty." Hehe, brings back memories of Reboot.

Ok
May 31, 2006, 9:00 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliI believe Chakra said it best, when he asked me, "Who are you?", and I think then I realized just how little touch I had with the community..

Nah, he's just a british twat with a poor memory, he says that to everyone.

I think that something happened and his dad kicked him out or something...
Lots of questions really.
1- Why pay for a STOLLEN car? I mean, its stollen.. who are u giving money? O.o
2- Why stay in an overprised apratment...
3- how old are you? O.o

Anyhow, best of luck to you, I seriously advise you to devide these 2 worlds of yours, the Soldat online world and the real life one.
No one will be mad at you for leaving the project, we all realize real life is more important, most of us just play the game.

If you'll be able to read this at all, I do have something to say to you:
You seem to love your wife, it seems like you have a good thing going there, it also seems you're a quality human being , and to be honest that's all you need to make a good life for yourself, no matter where you are. remember that no matter what happens!
All you need is love! (ta lalalal)

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 9:22 pm
I suppose I can elaborate a little.

Essentially I threw all my clothes in a military-issue over-the-shoulder duffle-bag, stowed all I could in a backpack, and carried my 75 lb. SOHO server/PC out the front door and to my mother's car, threw it all in the back seat, and tore out of the driveway before they could get out of bed. I went to the bank, withdrew all the money I could (damn ATM limits) and drove 440 miles/8 hours to my destination.

Why? Well, for one, my father is extremely paranoid and mentally unstable. To get out of the house, I actually had to sneak past his motion sensor at the front door (there are two at the back, much harder to head out that way) and I had no choice but to set off the weight sensor in the driveway. Any time one of those are set off, it turns on a light in his room, which always wakes him up. If you can imagine someone carrying 125 lbs of junk, clothes, and electronics on his back while tip-toeing down a staircase, through two doors, and then hauling ass out to a car and throwing all his [CENSORED] inside of it before peeling out of a gravel driveway - that was me.

The second reason? I was needed elsewhere. Necessity, and the will to leave, and perhaps a bit of insanity got me away from my father. Not the most harrowing adventure, but there you go.

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 9:27 pm
Well, i hope you come back..but if you cant...farewell and goodye :(

Milkman Dan
May 31, 2006, 10:01 pm
THATS CRAZY!!!

Byeeeee

May 31, 2006, 10:28 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliTo get out of the house, I actually had to sneak past his motion sensor at the front door (there are two at the back, much harder to head out that way) and I had no choice but to set off the weight sensor in the driveway. Any time one of those are set off, it turns on a light in his room, which always wakes him up.

WOAH NOW.

Motion sensors? Are these to stop people from getting in or getting out? And why did you have to "escape" in the first place?
What would he have done if you'd given notice about leaving?

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 10:32 pm
to bad, lapis.. your the reason i'm still here. if it weren't for you, i'd be long gone my friend.
i hope you make right decisions in life, and be adviced.. my spare missings.. will go to you :)

mar77a
May 31, 2006, 10:39 pm
hmmmm :(

Ok
May 31, 2006, 10:49 pm
So you were married and living in your parents house?
see that's what I don't get.. ppl getting married before they even live together, or before they're even indipendent enough to live on their own.

It just seems like rushing things, but that's not the issue anyhow.
Good question by sticky there, what would he do?! you make it sound like you were in prison.
Scary stuff!
I was thinking, something around doing something illeagal and being affraid you'll get cought so you ran away to another state or something..

Ah you'll do just fine, look at it this way, atleast now you have a cool story in your book of life :) always good to have those.

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 11:07 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by HHHto bad, lapis.. your the reason i'm still here. if it weren't for you, i'd be long gone my friend.
i hope you make right decisions in life, and be adviced.. my spare missings.. will go to you :)

Are you stalking me?

Tha Doggfather
May 31, 2006, 11:08 pm
Good luck in whatever you'll do in life Lapis. Hope to see you again.

Vijchtidoodah
June 1, 2006, 12:57 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Okatleast now you have a cool story in your book of life :) always good to have those.

Sometimes "good stories" are better left forgotten.

papasurf31
June 1, 2006, 1:13 am
Amen to that.

It's sad to see you go. I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Rambo_6
June 1, 2006, 3:49 am
Give me your phone number so i can use ip-relay.com to make random operators sing 'i'm a little teacup' to you at 5:00 in the morning.

m00`
June 1, 2006, 7:24 am
BYE BYE

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 9:35 am
I <3 you, good luck.

MonkeyHead79
June 1, 2006, 10:23 am
Wow.

Um, good luck with all that. Hope you survive it in reasonable fashion.

You know, I can honestly say I was not expecting to be reading anything like that tonight.

Zero72
June 1, 2006, 11:03 am
Hope to see you back around soon, Lapis. Sorry to see you go, and I hope everything works out for you.

You were here when I got here, after all. You're part of the community to me, at least.

Ok
June 1, 2006, 12:51 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah Quote:Originally posted by Okatleast now you have a cool story in your book of life :) always good to have those.

Sometimes "good stories" are better left forgotten.

I disagree!
If it doesnt kill you, it makes you stronger.
I'm a living proof of that..

Not true 100% ofcourse, it come on the expanse of something else, but forgetting bad things that had happened to you is an invitation to more bad things to come along, so I personaly look at stuff like that as a vaccine given to me when I'm young and strong, preparing me for the oddities of life in the future.

A good example of that is the holocuast. (sorry, its just the best example..)

Rambo_6
June 1, 2006, 1:31 pm
Lapis was here for a long time, before i got here at least. I got here at 1.0.5 i think...

Vijchtidoodah
June 1, 2006, 1:38 pm
Ah yes OK, and being raped when you're four years old definitely makes you stronger, if not invulnerable. Not that it matters much whether or not something that doesn't kill you makes you stronger, that doesn't change the fact that sometimes the story behind that event isn't one that a person particularly wants to remember. While I'm sure surviving the Holocaust made many people much stronger people, they would probably rather forget all about that terrible period in their lives.

shoover
June 1, 2006, 2:09 pm
Lapis, 2 questions.

1. How Old Are you? It does seem like with the high post count, the well experience of a college grad and your experience with soldat.

2. Where Are you exactly located? I mean if you were to say *State* Then do you mean like. Arkansas? Oklahoma? Georgia? Pueto Rico?

It was nice having you as a help forums. I think you should change your name to either "Retired Moderator" "Retired Soldatken" Or "Retired Friend"

DeMonIc
June 1, 2006, 2:18 pm
I'm sorry to see you go man, you're one of those guys who are noticed when they are not active, as their presence is so natural... I hope everything turns out alright, and you'll be mauling signatures in no time :)

The Geologist
June 1, 2006, 4:29 pm
Sad to see you go man :( I'll prolly have my own day to leave sometime here...but wherever you go in life, I wish you well. Stay strong, and continue to fight the power. I know you've got the skills to take you where you want to go, and the know how to keep on growing and succeeding.

Who flung poo
June 2, 2006, 3:51 am
Catch ya on the flip side old friend