( search forums )
Bink
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Bloodbath234
May 31, 2006, 9:58 pm
What the hell is bink that i keep hearing?

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 10:05 pm
Its when your accuracy gets worse as you are hit with bullets. Self-Bink has the same affect but its when you fire an auto for too long without taking your finger of the fire button.

And unrelated:
Hey woot! I'm a Captain! Everybody cares!

edak
May 31, 2006, 10:08 pm
I dont care.

Bloodbath234
May 31, 2006, 10:08 pm
Thanks

Deleted User
May 31, 2006, 10:22 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by edakI dont care.

I love you.

And now that I?ve had the last word with edak and the honourable gentleman has had his question answered and this topic is in danger of turning into bashpit material, I think it deserves a lock.

Edit: doesn't it say what Bink and Self-Bink is in the manual?

Zegovia
June 1, 2006, 10:39 am
I dont understand why people hate it so much though.. :/

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 3:56 pm
This thread is just about to turn into a heap of spam.

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 4:29 pm
Fluffy, I?ve already said that. So your post is ironically spam ¬¬

person
June 1, 2006, 6:07 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by ZegoviaI dont understand why people hate it so much though.. :/

Probably because it slowed the game down and reduced it to more of a CS derivitive rather than a "fast paced action game" (- quoted from the Soldat homepage in a description of the game).

The "more skill needed" point of view is void, as selfbink at least is a random process in which the method to avoid it is to simply click the mouse button more often than weapons did in 1.2.1. Great increase in skill we all got there. *claps*

There is NO WAY to judge how your shots will perform while binked. This means that while binked (when you get shot), you're screwed, if you have a weapon that is drastically affected by it.

When there is no way to counter the process, then the only "skill" you can get is the "skill" of not being shot... if you can call that "skill".
When elements in the game such as random spray can cause bink, and there is no way to counter that, it is unfair.

When you can never judge where your next shot is going to go (as with an auto), that means it comes down to luck. General aiming ability is the usual winner, but it's not as sure a thing to rely on than in long dead versions.

Therefor one can conclude that bink was placed in the game to reduce the amount of skill needed in precision aiming and timing, and reduce the speed of the game.
If you know where your bullets are going to go and you miss - that's an error of skill - if you hit your target when you have very little idea of where your bullet is going to go - that's luck.

Its placement in the game is still controversial, and still raises the issue of whether the "beta team" should have had the authority to issue its use for the entire Soldat community without a general concensus on it.

And it's a fact that I hear more complaints about the game these days than ever before 1.3, whether it's the numerous bugs the game seems to have gained, the weapons balance, or just the number of players who think Soldat has "seen better days".

TACKLEbeast666
June 1, 2006, 6:16 pm
deal it with it [CENSORED]

person
June 1, 2006, 7:16 pm
Just wondering if that is directed towards me, "TACKLEbeast666" - if so, in which part of my post did I say I was not "dealing with it"?

I am merely implying that bink and self bink in their current forms lead to a less pleasurable experience than what could be had during previous era's versions.

DeMonIc
June 1, 2006, 7:20 pm
Yes, instead of bink we had super cool barret dominance both in publics and in clan wars. That was so much more fun than the stupid games we have today: I mean, I actually see 5 different guns being used in CTF, how [CENSORED] is that? And now I actually have to think to get a cap. Damn, I should really quit this game, it sucks so much.

If this topic's alive tomorrow, I reply with a non-sarcastic post. Be satisfied with this one in the meanwhile.

person
June 1, 2006, 7:31 pm
ah, the old sarcasm to prove a point trick.

It's not working.

Fraggy
June 1, 2006, 7:48 pm
lol shoot in bursts..bink whont bother you that much then..

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 8:40 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Fraggylol shoot in bursts..bink whont bother you that much then..

Yes it does bother me, because I'm shooting in bursts.

In terms of game balancing, I do think that self-bink is a good thing because it adds more skill to the autos as I have to make the decision of when to shoot in bursts and when to go full auto (short range etc). It has made the game more balanced. I just hope that the bink won't increase so much that there will no longer be such thing as aiming with an auto unless you shoot it Ruger style.

Bob Loblaw
June 1, 2006, 8:42 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by ZegoviaI dont understand why people hate it so much though.. :/

Try using the baretta when stray bullets hit you either by a teammate or enemy.

Off Topic
Hi SDFilm remember me?

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 8:47 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Bob Loblaw
Off Topic
Hi SDFilm remember me?

Ya, on a public DM server?

Quote:Originally posted by personah, the old sarcasm to prove a point trick.

It's not working.

Ah, the old pathetic defence tactic.

Its not working.

Bob Loblaw
June 1, 2006, 8:52 pm
Yeah that was a while ago :x

person
June 1, 2006, 9:05 pm
I think it is working. I expect to see a real comment from Demonic tomorrow.

btw, what kind of call was that!? I found it humourus since it is neither accurate or consisting of wit. Good luck next time though, chief.

Deleted User
June 1, 2006, 9:15 pm
You did play Soldat before 1.3 right Person? What Demonic did make sence (in the Sarcasticness of course).

One of the annoying things about self-bink is that it makes binking people by hiting them alot is harder, so the self-bink ends up making the bink less of a problem. And thats great news for those lovley ruger users out there :D ¬¬

UGK
June 1, 2006, 9:16 pm
It's a hack you buy at the store.

person
June 1, 2006, 9:30 pm
I've been playing Soldat since 1.1.5.

And while the barret probably was overpowered in some situations and en masse, the other weapons could definitely make up for it (in 1.2/.1) especially from an experienced player, because it didn't take you 10 seconds (yes, that is a deliberate exaggeration) to kill someone.

It also brings grenades back into discussion; since I doubt there was a single person who complained about them in the above mentioned versions. 'tis not the case with the current version, with people wanting to make some drastic changes to how they function to accomodate our current way of playing.

Mr. Domino
June 2, 2006, 8:34 am
 Quote:Originally posted by person Quote:Originally posted by ZegoviaI dont understand why people hate it so much though.. :/

Probably because it slowed the game down and reduced it to more of a CS derivitive rather than a "fast paced action game" (- quoted from the Soldat homepage in a description of the game).

What? You're right about the skill level not being improved (or lessened) with bink added, but how do you think the game is now a "slow paced action game?" The changes to the weapons over the years haven't slowed the game down. You can still charge with Deagles, rocket boost, etc. and be fine. If anything, I find the game faster than ever thanks to the backflip, which allows fast vertical movements without explosion boosting.

You mentioned it's "unfair" to get struck by some random bullet and get binked, but, seriously, a random bullet is going to bink you enough to whine about on a forum? If you don't have an attacker nearby, any stray non-Barrett bullet is going to travel slow enough to be easily avoided, and, if you can't do that, then bink is the least of your worries. :p

person
June 2, 2006, 12:55 pm
You're saying the game hasn't slowed down? Odd. 100% of other people who have played since at least 1.2 seem to have a different opinion.

And saying that bullets that are so slow whenever they are from off-screen is just incorrect. It makes you wonder what people are on about when they (e.g. Poop) are complaining of spray, hmm.

What makes the game relatively slow-paced is the fact the a) Bullets do less damage; b) bullets are less accurate; c) you have to be more still to fire accurately; hence resulting in a more pedantic fighting fashion from players, i.e. they run away from you whenever they feel they can't take you on; they keep their distance; or they just try and run as fast as they can and try some kind of "blitzkrieg" attack, etc.

Also, I said it is unfair to be hit by a random bullet and for it to be impossible to counter.

Mr. Domino
June 2, 2006, 3:13 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by personYou're saying the game hasn't slowed down? Odd.

I said weapon changes haven't slowed the game down. Reading comprehension. It's what's for dinner.
 Quote:Originally posted by person
What makes the game relatively slow-paced is the fact the a) Bullets do less damage; b) bullets are less accurate; c) you have to be more still to fire accurately; hence resulting in a more pedantic fighting fashion from players, i.e. they run away from you whenever they feel they can't take you on; they keep their distance; or they just try and run as fast as they can and try some kind of "blitzkrieg" attack, etc.

a) Bullet damage isn't vastly different, and one hit kills are still available if a fast kill is what you want.
b) Bullet accuracy is player dependent. If you can't aim, then you need practice.
c) I disagree, and I see players on quite a few servers (all supposed "lesser" public ones at that) featuring players completely able to chase down escaping EFC's and accurately pick them off, run-and-gun battles, etc.
 Quote:Originally posted by person
Also, I said it is unfair to be hit by a random bullet and for it to be impossible to counter.

Projectiles don't just magically appear out of thin air. Honestly, a lot of what you're complaining about just sounds like you need more practice to me.

person
June 2, 2006, 4:24 pm
All I can say to you is "lol".

Please continue to humour me though with your joke-like attempts to "disprove" my comments. What you are coming up with presently is laughable at best and cannot be taken seriously. Why should I bother with such comments when you're just trying to disagree with me, however mindlessly wrong you may be?

Deleted User
June 2, 2006, 4:34 pm
Well it may have slowed down a bit, but not enough to make Soldat a worse game. If you use some strange alien techniques such as "skill" and "aiming" you can pick people off quite fast.

Rooster
June 2, 2006, 5:01 pm
1.2.1 was considerably faster and was no different to how it is played now except there were a few barret users and noone used spas. Also noone used grenades, there was no point and you were basically better off throwing three at once instead of aiming with them at someones legs. Thing is, The game just gets more complexe with each version gone by, a new 'feature' is added to shortcut balance issues, and in turn angers people who have played previous versions which remained more or less with the same balance but faster and in turn made it more action packed. I found 1.2.1 the funnest personally, never liked the barret fest of 1.3 and all versions before 1.2...
For me the best versions made were 1.3.1 and 1.2.1. They're both considerably balanced. I seriously hope we don't get another 1.3. i hated that patched.

But anyway, this is so far offtopic and rantfull that it doesn't matter. lockzored or moved ftw!

DeMonIc
June 2, 2006, 5:02 pm
I promised you a comment. Here it is.

Skipping the Ancient-Soldat era, I'll start with some balance history, from 1.2.0:

During that time, all was dandy and fine, except for Barret. Sure, everything was more powerfull and a good player could still hold his ground in public games, but for clan wars, barret was the Omega. I mean, 3 barrets attacking was a common tactic ( in 3v3 ) for it's effectiveness was legendary, as in the hands of experienced players, point'n'click was a fearfull tactic. Soldat was fast, yes: ofcourse it was, because players like Instant-Remedy didn't use taunts, though to people not getting past them at all. They clicked too fast.

The beta tests came with a solution from Michal's side: he implemented bink, but only for barret. The balance seemed fine, but then came the ingenious idea of 'Let's add it to all guns!'. Keep in mind that at this time, we were so relieved that there wasn't barret-dominance anymore that we only tested out the balance in DM, where it worked fine. The outcome? 1.2.1 and spray power.

At 1.3, we tested the weapons in clan-war like situations: the balance improved a lot, and spray was gone at the cost of barret coming back to claim the title of 'Gun numero uno'. The rest is recent history: 1.3.1 brought an even better weapon balance, with only minor problems: there's still some spray, some M79-problem and max grenades need to be lowered globally.

Throught these versions Soldat has became a more tactical game, where Skill is a combination of good teamwork, movement, aim and brains. Tough, but against players on your level, you have to think to emerge victorious: that especially applies for Realistic mode.

Mr. Domino
June 2, 2006, 6:21 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by personAll I can say to you is "lol".

Please continue to humour me though with your joke-like attempts to "disprove" my comments. What you are coming up with presently is laughable at best and cannot be taken seriously. Why should I bother with such comments when you're just trying to disagree with me, however mindlessly wrong you may be?

Wow. I can't begin to thank you enough for this intelligent reply. I'm so honored. "Lol?" Yeah, I see your point there. I wish I could stop my mindless posting and individually stating why I happen to disagree with you and adapt to your intelligent method of just calling the other person "mindless" and using "lol" as a well thought out response.

Of course, you've already proven your inability to read and comprehend text before throwing a kneejerk reaction, so at least this further cements your postings as a complete and utter waste. It doesn't surprise me one bit that someone who can't be bothered to read and think before replying to something as simple as a message board post would have trouble adapting to such dangerous new Soldat threats as bullets.

Consider taking your own advice:
 Quote:Originally posted by personNo, the game really shouldn't be changed to suit your pathetic opinion.

person
June 2, 2006, 6:34 pm
Facts with your spin on it, notably the 1.3 and "the balance improved a lot" comment.

Besides that, I knew all of this already. It doesn't serve as a response or retort to counter any of my views as being incorrect.

You know, I'll agree that generally the balance in 1.3.1 has been really good, and each weapon has its strengths, apart from the desert eagles and the minigun - but do balanced weapons really make a game great?
In case you thought the above was a rhetorical question, you are indeed wrong. FUN weapons make a game great. Balance is part of the equation, but a perfect balance does not always equal a fun game. Let's look at Unreal Tournament; any version. There were weapons that everyone would prefer to use in many situations, and it is a great game.

Another thing; just why was self bink so important to everyone in the beta team? Was "spray power" really that bad to warrant such a massive change? Again, this was at a time when the public didn't seem to really care about future versions. I guess that's why there didn't seem to be much talk or association with people about the implementation of self bink.
But it was definitely something that has caused the whole game to change in a drastic way, and I've also said this before, but it wasn't necessarily for the better, or worse. It was neither a step forwards or backwards, rather a sidestep from a balls-out action game to a strategic warfare game.

I guess there is no chance of going back, and I can live with that, but I would prefer it if these factors were more predictable - or to some degree at least, rather than virtually pure chance. I've already stated why random factors like these generally shouldn't be a part of a game. I've been looking for reasons as to how I may be "disillusioned" or something; all I have recieved is poor criticism on something seemingly unrelated to the desired topic, or some random facts thrown onto my lap which I already knew. Seems they were to help me realise what's going on, but it does not address my concerns at all.
Or my concerns for the next version, DeMonic, which if you get your way, will increase the amount of randomness by 300%.

I propose that MM change binking factors to become somewhat predictable - for example, if you're shot from above with the barret, it will make your shot go off low or something. If you're using an auto, the self bink causes the bullets to go in a set fashion, such as immediately going higher, then lower, in increasing increments for the longer the player holds the button down.

Or something along those lines. Sure, players may become more able to take others down (which I may add is more fun - the more capable you are at being potent, the more fun the game is), but it still is an automatic feature which requires players to pay MORE attention to how they play the game, and this is actual skill, not just being the faster clicker or the person who can avoid being shot the most who can make their shots count; and also would reduce a lot of random bs that happens in the game today.

I'd be open to other suggestions, but truly I don't believe that bink in its current form is such a great thing, especially self bink.

edit:
Mr. Domino, I'm continuing to lol away.

And rather than basing an opinion other than pure self indulgence (as opposed to the person I was taking the piss out of in the thread you brought up), I have presented a logical viewpoint open for discussion. You chose the route of attempting to degrade me despite making no sense. Thus, you earn a 0 for respect. *claps*

DeMonIc
June 2, 2006, 6:54 pm
( Only underdog gun now is the Minigun, I've used DE quite effectively, and seen others handle it even better )

We're on topic: why do we have a balance? Sure, fun guns make a fun game: but if there's a slight inbalance, one gun will be used, and you'll be playing in servers where 40 out of 45 players use the same gun. Fun? Hah.

Call down the lobby list. See all those servers? A fine part of those are clanservers. There are several leagues, hundreds of clans and atleast a hundred cw's played daily. Clans are what make a community tick: without them, Soldat would rely on the help and commitment of those masses who see balance in two shot kill barrets and M79s. You can easily agree that even my mad-raving with the balance are better than that fate.

On that topic, you shouldn't worry about me ruining the balance. I'm not touching it any more. It's in good hands: not mine. Once we move to the new forums, you'll see what I'm talking about.

TACKLEbeast666
June 2, 2006, 7:25 pm
they really shouldn't done so many changes, i say just make semi guns more powerful and reduce the bink on autos, of course also fix minigun along the way (more damage? or less reload?). this way everyone die faster, haven't you guys notice there are alot of people leaving regular games and going for realistic matches just because it takes so long to kill anyone.

Deleted User
June 2, 2006, 8:52 pm
And just for the record, barrett is not spelled "baretta"...

Fraggy
June 2, 2006, 10:07 pm
lol baretta is a gun like desert eagle only waaaay lighter..

like between average cop gun and deagle