( search forums )
Internet leads to lack of social skills
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Ok
June 2, 2006, 11:24 pm
First of all, I'll ask you this:
Would you right now, take a pill that will eliminate any "NEED" you have for the internet?
Meaning, you would find easy to just go out to a friend's house, or do outdoor activities and only go on the net when you REALLY REALLY got nothing else to do?

I'll tell you what, its not a new issue, its a world wide concern that humanity which is a social species is loosing its social skills and more kids are becoming social newbies because of it, making them loose an important part of the teenage expirience.

For me it was quite wierd because I got into computer around the age of 17. before that I didn't have a computer at home, I just went to friends of mine and played there...
Due to that, I used to go out alot , play soccer, basketball, met more ppl and became the social creature that I am today (Please on remarks..).

Personaly, I think that's the reason I would take that pill easly, I consider the internet expirience a bad influence when used as a first option for spending time.

I know most of you have had a computer with internet access for as long as you can rememeber, which really makes it harder for you to make an objective opinion about it.

Those social skills that we develope while communicating face to face to other human beings, are needed , such as tact, humour, reading sign from other ppl and understanding their reactions and so on.
Lets not forget the meeting girls issue, its much harder to deal with a girl face to face as a teenage, and its a skill you will probably NEED to find love in the future.

Plus I think the internet is a distortion of reality, ppl here say things they wouldn't say to you face to face, the idea of "tact" almost doesnt exist on the net, who needs tact when you can just close the window when things become too uncomfortable.

Ofcourse there are all the benefits of the net, but I really don't want to talk about those because those are obvious to all of us, being among those "whorship" it.

So what do you think? what in your opinion are the down sides of the internet? and would you want to take such a pill to get rid of the addiction?

Deleted User
June 2, 2006, 11:44 pm
well if I took that pill I wouldnt have much to do as I play games with my friends very often, and they are all fecking WoW addicts... if the pill came with some free samples to give my friends, then sure

mar77a
June 2, 2006, 11:52 pm
hahahahah, Ok, oh god

shoover
June 2, 2006, 11:55 pm
I know that i dont have a life spending it on internet, unless im doing stuff (like making a webpage, learning php, photshop etc..) thats real life skills for when you find a job, and since computers and lets not hope but probably will, microsoft, take over the world in about 20-30 years. Its good to have a good jump to computer before everybody else tries to. for example.. game developing :(

bja888
June 3, 2006, 12:18 am
Well...
The digital age/revolution (what ever you wanna call it) has been all about communication. The internet in ite simplest and most complex forms is bases souly on the need to communicate with something else be it man or machine. In most cases the internet is used to allow people to communicate. No it is not damaging social lifes. In fact, its helping in my opinion. Do work for a lady in Australia on a frequent basis via the internet. I think as my international relationships grow so does then influence of other cultures.

On a more personal note...
I grew up using computers but didn't have my own until late middle school, so I did have to develop some social skills before then. I was always a quite child growing up, its not that I couldn't be social, its that I had no reason to. Thus was very happy when I got my first computer. I was all over yahoo chat rooms after that!
These days, I work on my computer most of the day so I am delighted to have a face to face conversation with anyone.

I do not view the internet as a negative impact.

Deleted User
June 3, 2006, 12:30 am
I've had a computer with the internet for about the same time as you (15-17)

If taking the pill means that only news and online banking websites will exist (or the only things i'll care about), and sites like DevArt, patches/mods for games, cars, sport, er...cookery and whatever other pastimes your into will no longer have an online cominity for them and you are confined to your local area, telephones and magazines to get with somkind of community, that does not sound like a great pill, aspeacily as magazines are not live and not everyone you know will do art etc.

As long as those online communities do not make up your entire social life, there?s nothing wrong with it.

Say, arn't you the same person that done the 'Why the internet' thread?

After a quick search: Yup Oo.

Something tells me youre not a big fan of the net OK ;)

papasurf31
June 3, 2006, 12:49 am
Anyone here actually have a real urge to be on the internet? You NEED to be on it? I just check here and some other places, e-mail, Fantasy Footbal etc. I don't think most of us would even need a pill like that; we are able to control ourselves and not spend our lives in front of the monitor. I'm pretty sure I don't have an addiction, I could stop coming here tommorow if I wanted to...No, I love you guys too much:P But, I don't think it'd be hard for me to not be online for an extended period of time. I won't go through Internet withdrawal or anything.

As for downsides to teh web, The more time people spend on it, the less time they are doing something physically challenging. Kids in my country are getting MASSIVE HUEG FAT (<- internet slang) because of a combination of internet, video games, and tv. I think it's important ot have a have a healthy body, cause chicks dig that more than how fast you can type "your mum."

Milkman Dan
June 3, 2006, 12:54 am
<--- Socially inept.

I had a computer since I was like 6, but got the internet when I was 7 or 8, but my dependency only started when I was about 12 or 13.

I wouldnt take the pill, because even if I didn't need to be on the internet and be able to go out, it wouldn't do much good because who the hell would want to hang around me, amirite?

Being out is all good... but nothing compares to the internet.

frogboy
June 3, 2006, 1:08 am
I, for one, am not "addicted" to the internet. There's just nothing else to do. If I need to go outside, I'll go outside, but otherwise, what's the point?

?
June 3, 2006, 1:13 am
Pretty hypocritical to be posting a "You need to get off the internet" topic... in an internet forum...

Famine
June 3, 2006, 1:17 am
Eh, I just balance. I go out, play sports (seldomly, but when my friends are in the mood so am I), see movies, and just hangout. I lived overseas a bit, and internet wasn't too abundant (nothing about 56k). I wasn't too interested in it.

That being said, I move around a lot. It takes me sometime to adjust to the new settings, but I get use to it and am eventually in my own environment again. I'm a shy guy, but once I get to know you and open up, I am not. I have to feel comfortable to be myself. If not, I still act quite courteous, but I am not as outgoing. I don't think the internet effected that, I think current situations do. I use to have no outgoing attitude, but I've learn to take risks and just see what happens. Worst thing is you get insulted, or insult another. [CENSORED] happens...

Would I take a pill?
No, because I don't NEED the internet. I'd be bored without it at points in my life, but NEED? no. If I truly wanted to get off the internet, I'd rather focus on my own personal strength and "quit", rather than being a pussy and taking a damn pill.

Downsides? Yes, it can be addicting sometimes and time consuming, but so can other events. If you can't set aside things and know when enough is enough, that isn't the internet's fault.

My computer is on most of the time, but depending on the day, I will spend 1-4 hours. It all depends on the opportunities that are infront of me.

Fangus Deef
June 3, 2006, 1:23 am
I didn't like anyone to begin with. All the internet has done for me is expand my knowledge of firearms, introduce me to you guys, a few video games, and make it so I can buy guns for my job from other states.

Eagles_Arrows
June 3, 2006, 2:56 am
I play the piano, vacuum in a retirement home, play DDR in the arcades, listen to music, draw figures and sleep.

Unlucky 13
June 3, 2006, 3:27 am
 Quote:Originally posted by frogboyI, for one, am not "addicted" to the internet. There's just nothing else to do. If I need to go outside, I'll go outside, but otherwise, what's the point?

Agreed, and it's "Lack of social skills leads to Internet", not the other way around, at least for me.

Anyway, only snow is a decent form of weather, and guess what? There is none of that white cold stuff anywhere near me. Not trying to sound arrogant or anything during this post, but my parents hate the snow (why? *sob*), and they don't have time to take us there.

And further still, social-ness doesn't help someone trying to become a Systems Engineer too much.

Cookie.
June 3, 2006, 3:57 am
"Internet leads to lack of social skills"

I dunno about that, if anything posting on forums like these have improved my social skills and confidence!

Ok
June 3, 2006, 3:58 am
Hey I'm not saying the internet doesnt have its own advantages.
There are some excellent programs out there who are not dedicating so much time into other stuff on the net.
I was in a clan with some polish guy, he managed to combine so many things in his life, and there was an obvious difference betwin the time that he was spending on Soldat and other games to the majority of the population around us (the clan)
What I mean is, when there was something else to be done such as a party somehwere, or just meeting a friend or anything of that sort, the thought of just staying home wasn't even an option for him.
While I could defenitly see players who were online and availble almost every waking moment.

The problem starts in my opinion when the computer takes over other stuff.. if you're trying to demonstrate how the internet can replace real life social life, then that's a problem.
The internet provides easy conditions, you won't find those in real life...
I know lots of ppl who are great programers and they barely play games, barely did in the past.
As a matter of fact most of big characters here are much more moderated than most of the players.
Darknoddy is someone who managed to develope great coding skills thanks to the net but when it comes to other stuff they all come last in his list.
Flieslikeabrick (I think) seems like a guy who hangs around alot, but he's barely playing Soldat barely did in the past (his words).

ITs a matter of moderations in my opinion.. sometimes even if you really really want to play WoW you should use the fact that there's a great day outside and do something with a friend. you know what, maybe even go to his place and play on his computer , the face to face is so important.
Someone who starts a clan at the age of 12-13 and dedicates all of his after noons to the clan and so on.. in the long run he'll be less adapted to spoken conversations with other ppl, he'll be very uncomfortable around alot of ppl in places such as parties because he's used to sitting infront of the comptuer and dealing with the machine.
I can see the direct difference betwin my friends, some didn't have any computer 'till later age due to financial difficulties, and now that they have, its mostly for downloading and MSN short talks while for others its the major communication device and takes a much bigger part in their lifes (like me for example).

And guys, if someone is taking this thread as a personal attack on himself, I would say he needs to think twice about why he's going there. 'cause this is just an open discussion that I wanted to start if someone is offended by this, I'm really sorry.

MOFO NOFO
June 3, 2006, 5:10 am
Well, i DONT have to be offended *presses back button*

anyhoo i agree with unlucky, lack of social skills leads to internet, not the otherway round.

bja888
June 3, 2006, 5:15 am
Sounds to me like your problem is with computer games. The computer is a tool, how you use it is a direct result on how it effects you.
Knife is a tool as well, you can use it to cut your food or to stab your self. One is average and the other is exciting/different. Thus is the whole trial of this world. If you can make the right decisions you will be rewarded.

Cookie.
June 3, 2006, 6:24 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Ok
Someone who starts a clan at the age of 12-13 and dedicates all of his after noons to the clan and so on.. in the long run he'll be less adapted to spoken conversations with other ppl, he'll be very uncomfortable around alot of ppl in places such as parties because he's used to sitting infront of the comptuer and dealing with the machine.

Thats what liquor is for :)

thekingkitty
June 3, 2006, 6:45 am
I go outside when i feel like it, and i haven't been feeling like it for a year so far.

I mean I kinda do outside, though i really dont go to my friend houses and chill (most of my friends live far away from me), i kinda just go outside and do a little bit of running, i gotta keep my belly from expanding.

Though I do dedicate myself to the interweb. It's an addiction. Also i'm kinda shy in the real world..
But i only go on the interweb for just chatting, and i only talk to people just to chat, but unfortuantely my hooker jokes are not widely excepted in the real world, but in the interweb, its only midly rejected.

I should go outside more i guess, I'll do it my vacation when i get utterly bored with nonstop chatting and soldat playing.

But i'll never give up on the internet, its my best girlfriend!!

Outcast
June 3, 2006, 11:56 am
I have no problems, if I have other, better things to do, like get wasted, play basketball or table tennis, get drunk, go on a drink....I do it without a momemt of hesitation.

a-4-year-old
June 3, 2006, 4:05 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13 Quote:Originally posted by frogboyI, for one, am not "addicted" to the internet. There's just nothing else to do. If I need to go outside, I'll go outside, but otherwise, what's the point?

Agreed, and it's "Lack of social skills leads to Internet", not the other way around, at least for me.
Amen

Kazuki
June 3, 2006, 4:14 pm
I agree that the human species is one of communication and cooperation, but we are also a species of ethic beliefs. In a counter-sense, I could say that those who are tied in with society are further losing their abilities to have moral thoughts. A lot of you probably go "Oh, bulls***" at that remark, but it's not very different from OK's statement.

It's true that I'm not social in the least. I'm on the computer during the majority of my free time. Whether that means working on a video, playing a video game, or chatting online, it doesn't matter. In all honesty, I would rather be here on my own than out at some party drinking and smoking weed, or walking along some street with two or three other people, not knowing what to say.

Maybe I am missing out on some "important" teenage experience, but I consider myself mentally and physically stable (5'5", 107lbs, lean). We are all different people, OK; we have different personalities. There are things that make me happy, too, but being around people so different from me is not one of those things.

Finally, our personalities are built on our experiences. So in a way, Unlucky13's philosophy is correct. For all you know, I could have turned out a weed-smoking dropout or an egotistic jock, both of which make me vomit.

SuperKill
June 3, 2006, 4:54 pm
oh boy, if i wouldn't have the internet i would probably be stuck a ... er... umm.. i doubt anything would be different with my life.

i gave up having sex cause i wanted to get lvl up to 100 from 99 in a mmorpg i used to play. (right now? but i wanna lvl up in a game)
why? not because i'm ADDICTED to that game, or its the most important thing in my life, but just cause i know that nothing would interrupt my normal life if i'd spend more time on the internet, even if my girlfriend or my friends know about it.
after going to lvl up my character my girlfriend didnt hated me or felt angry with me, she sat by me and watched me hunt little monsters. and if she wouldn't accept it she could've screw herself for all i care - internet is one thing i enjoy having, and if someone cant accept me for the things i enjoy then the hell with him\her\it.

i'm convinced i got the social skills needed to have a succesfull social life, even while i'm often on the internet.
am i a special breed or something? doubt it cause i know of plenty other people like me that are the same.

a-4-year-old
June 3, 2006, 5:13 pm
you gave up secks for gaming? no wonder your girlfriend is happy

June 3, 2006, 5:40 pm
I'm with what Outcast said. The internet is useful and fun and all, but there's always something better to do.

Ok
June 3, 2006, 8:22 pm
Outcast didn't say that, I did...

You guys are missing the point, its not about personalities, if someone prefers talking to ppl on the net as a rule and not as an exception that's a result of a fear of some sort.
Both are ways of communicating to other ppl, but the net is just a safer place to do it, so the motive to do it on the net is just play it safe.

At times it can be a great tool, when you just don't feel like taking crap from anyone, and you want to be alone but not completly alone..
As I said those are execptions but when prefered as a rule, then it comes from a negative motive something that I think better be confronted now, because sooner or later .. at work, at school anywhere in the world you'll have to deal with ppl face to face and you want to have a good practice when you're young so when you're older you're a master of social relations with other human beings.

I like the internet, I really do.. it gave me alot, but at some levels I think it provided me a too easy escape from reality.
Just like drinking so you won't feel shy and can hit on girls, when done in moderations and at times just for fun, its cool but when you rely on the booze inorder to get a girl that's bad, very bad because at some point you realize you stopped having fun without the booze, since you're so used to it, anything else seems so wierd.
Not all women like drunk guys, not all girls will want to spend time with you on your computer..
And if you can say "screw my girlfriend, I wanna play on the comp" when she's right there next to you.. then dude, that's gonna hit you in the face one day..no talking about sex at all btw, just the fact that you have no problem leaving her dry like that for something like a computer game.
That's just a bad priority, I mean, its your girlfriend, not your wife.. (with your wife you can say that since you see her ALL the time)

SuperKill
June 3, 2006, 8:42 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldyou gave up secks for gaming? no wonder your girlfriend is happy

ofcourse she wasn't happy about us not having sex, she wasn't even happy about it, but she wasn't sad cause she knew we could do it whenever the hell we want, wherever we want - and so do i. (so the evil internet bothered with my life but changed nothing)

plus, when a priority of something drops down, it usually means its already accomplished, even over the wanted ammount.

edit: Ok, ata hoferet :P

Ok
June 3, 2006, 9:29 pm
"hoferet"?
Ivrit safa kashe? :

Captain Ben
June 4, 2006, 6:30 am
Meh, pretty much what you guys said.
I'm not a party person, I'd rather be ina small gathering with my friends and no awkward random people than be in a pulsing rave orgy fest with no one I knew there.
Whenever I'm at home and not doing anything school related, I find myself on the net, usually here on the forums or just cranking around for a laugh somewhere. But, during April, the internet was broken for more than a month, and I didn't even really care. Sure, I wanted it fixed so I could get my schoolwork done. Jumping onto the forums was the last thing on my mind.

I'll only use it if it's there.

?
June 4, 2006, 7:18 am
im mostly on the net about 12 to 5am... mainly cause my friends go to school and i work during the day. If im antisocial cause of that then too friggin bad. Btw Ok friggin sum up your point in a few sentences... im tired of long drawn out posts that really only need a few facts stated!

bja888
June 4, 2006, 8:54 am
 Quote:Originally posted by ?im tired of long drawn out posts that really only need a few facts stated!

My english teacher says I lack supporting details now your telling me to get to the point! I'm never gonna get this english [CENSORED]!!

Ok
June 4, 2006, 2:22 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by ?im mostly on the net about 12 to 5am... mainly cause my friends go to school and i work during the day. If im antisocial cause of that then too friggin bad. Btw Ok friggin sum up your point in a few sentences... im tired of long drawn out posts that really only need a few facts stated!

It takes too much time, I have a big spoken vocabulary, very bad spelling skills and alot to say... and the result are my long long posts...
Really though, answer this, why do you keep reading my posts at all?
I'm really curious..
Seems to me alot of ppl here are sadists, I mean you won't see me reading posts from someone I keep [CENSORED]ing about..
Espacialy fi the problem are them being long, I just won't read them.

And for god sakes, no one called you an anti social person.. no one even mention that.
Actualy nvm that, you just did <_<

?
June 4, 2006, 8:11 pm
I was being sarcastic about the antisocial thing. Yes I read posts because I like to know peoples opinions on things, not just you, everyone.

Ok
June 4, 2006, 9:55 pm
Then don't complain <_< its not like I'm doing it on purpose to piss someone off... that's how I write.

Chakra`
June 4, 2006, 10:19 pm
I think I may just lose it and flip out into full blown [CENSORED]ing emo and/or mental breakdown if I didn't have the immediately available and numerous paths of escape the internet offers me right now.

Couple of games and chatting to old mates is all part of necessary recreation right now. Taking care of my mum is proving to be ... difficult to cope with.

But you're right in that the internet is an overly easy solution to man's need for entertainment and socialising. I'm sure some of us have either become 'too' involved or seen others like that.
Some kids who're into IRC mmorpgs and gaming whenever they can, argue that nothing else is as fun though. I suppose depending on your situation it's true, but such peeps should take measures to keep healthy and not get stuck in a rut.

I got a friend like that, done nothing but game since a kid, and now he's reaching 20. Hasn't got any future prospects at all and parents are on a hair-trigger for kicking him right out the door, and is far from prepared for handling the realities and stresses required to live life.

Mr. Domino
June 5, 2006, 2:33 am
It's all in moderation. Kids today are so lucky to have the Internet. I envy how much information is widely and easily accessible today, stuff that I wish I had known when I was younger. That said, it doesn't take a pill to leave the house. There's a clock on your computer -- use it. Regulate yourself to, say, two hours usage at most and work your way down if needed. I think the problem most have with the Internet is that it's easy to lose track of time wasting away in front a PC, so you need to make keeping track of it a priority to avoid it.

Deleted User
June 5, 2006, 2:39 am
Can you find the secret word?

blmfulvkedaltdlgmiofmrtlhmreieme

Milkman Dan
June 5, 2006, 3:27 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Mr. DominoRegulate yourself to, say, two hours usage at most and work your way down if needed.

2 hours?! you cant do anything in 2 hours. You sound like my dad lollll

n00bface
June 5, 2006, 3:36 am
blmfulvkedaltdlgmiofmrtlhmreieme ??///

Ok
June 5, 2006, 2:41 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Milkman Dan Quote:Originally posted by Mr. DominoRegulate yourself to, say, two hours usage at most and work your way down if needed.

2 hours?! you cant do anything in 2 hours. You sound like my dad lollll

See , that comes from someone who is too used to the net.
2 hours is a long long time.
and no, we don't mean homework, we mean "recreation" (teehee).
If 2 hours isn't enough for you , for games and such, that means you're wayy to addicted, you managed to built way too many needs on the internet (needs to level up, needs to play a clan war in time, needs to check that "super important" thread that some guy wrote about his toilet padding hobbits .. etc etc.)

Days when I spend less then usual on the net, are days I achieved more, I advanced my life more, if its studying.. if its just meeting another person, making another relationship in my life stronger, advancing my social skills a bit more, etc etc..

And that tells me I'm spending too much time, and I know that today, I'm below average..

Krillious
June 5, 2006, 4:25 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Ok
Days when I spend less then usual on the net, are days I achieved more, I advanced my life more, if its studying.. if its just meeting another person, making another relationship in my life stronger, advancing my social skills a bit more, etc etc..

Man it's like you are trying to advertise the sims :p

And I think I might be addicted to the net, but if i am mildly, because now instead of picking on my sister and annoying other I spend time here ;p

Ok
June 6, 2006, 12:28 am
How am I trying to advertise the SIMS? I'm pretty sure I'm doing the opposite.