( search forums )
mega boost
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
June 6, 2006, 4:25 am
this idea is rather simple in nature and practicality. With a click of a button (or keyboard stroke), your jet boots will burn half (or all) of the fuel tank to give you a VERY powerful boost upwards (or whatever direction ur boots are aimed (ie: superman style)). Very useful to make a quick and effective getaway in those tight situations.

example:
imagine your chasing the efc and you're reloading your barret. He's a few seconds away from his flag and your right behind him. Just before he's about to score, you jump, go to prone (superman), and expel your entire fuel tank to make a last effort to capture your enemy's flag. You do so right before he gets it and are able to successfully flee. (Later, your flag gets returned and you score.)

comments/suggestions?

Edit:
As suggested by Tybs, it should take all your fuel and should only work if you have at least 3/4 amount left. Further, I believe that if it's a map with no or rather little amount of fuel, you should not be allowed to use the boost. Also, due to overheating, you can't refill your jet boots for 3 seconds. Perhaps it would be even more fair if there's a 1 second delay before use, meaning you have to hold down the boost button for a second (like the barret delay).
I wish MM were here to give us his thoughts about this idea...

a-4-year-old
June 6, 2006, 12:44 pm
if you used only half of it you could go twice so i dont think that is a good idea.

good for ctf.

Tybs
June 6, 2006, 1:00 pm
The idea is good, but id suggest to make it use ur entire fuel tank, with a minimum of 3/4 fuel available.

EDIT: Maybe also include a short pause before the fuel starts regenerating again... 1-2 seconds should do the trick.

DeMonIc
June 6, 2006, 2:01 pm
Back in the day, I would've said yes to an idea such as this. But as of now, we already have enough problems with boosters in cw's, this would be an overpowered tactic when combined with regular boosts.

zyxstand
June 6, 2006, 3:50 pm
but like we said, it should use your entire fuel tank with minimum of 3/4...

Q: But what if it's a map where there's almost no jet fuel available - would it still make sense to be able to gain the same boost as in other maps?
A: Either make it a weaker boost or disallow boost if fuel amount is below a certain level.

Q: What about maps like Rok where, for a simple boost, you'd lose ALL of your fuel which would take a long time to replenish.
A: Since the rate at which you get your fuel back is the same in any map, there really isn't much of a problem... (hopefully you guys understand)

a-4-year-old
June 6, 2006, 9:27 pm
how about a set rate that it takes away, like if 100% is the max a map can have on it it takes like 20 percent of that so normal which is about half max would use up 40 percent of the total allowed fuel.

and if i didnt know that MM stoped updating mapmaker i would suggest that there be a checkbox for hyperboosting on the map.

Yuth
June 6, 2006, 10:04 pm
Yeah, improve the jets. *Thumb Up*
At least do something to improve it, so you get more advantages.

a-4-year-old
June 6, 2006, 11:21 pm
i would like to be able to fly downward extremely fast. to escape like a saw or catch a falling weapon.

Keron Cyst
June 7, 2006, 2:42 am
I would only approve of this if the mega boost shoved your jet fuel into a negative number (even if used at full-strength) and you can't use jet boots at all for some time afterwards.

rabidhamster
June 7, 2006, 2:58 am
A percent wouldn't work, what about in those "infinite" jet maps? How about a boost equal to 90 ticks of jet usage, all at once? And it could only be used when the tank is nearly full (AKA in the 150 ticks before full)?

zyxstand
June 7, 2006, 4:08 am
the problem with that, rabidhamster, is that then you could use it multiple times. keron, i also mentioned b4 that there would be a wait time...

Mr. Domino
June 7, 2006, 8:39 am
Grenades, M79, and LAW (on a teammate) already provide boosting options, and such an advantage needs to have a risk, which is provided by the damage selfboosting with M79 or grenades already do.

Tybs
June 7, 2006, 10:48 am
In realistic mode this risk involves smashing urself into the wall... and u cant use ur jets for some time after using the boost. Sounds reasonable to me.

Yuth
June 7, 2006, 8:57 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by zyxstandbut like we said, it should use your entire fuel tank with minimum of 3/4...

Q: But what if it's a map where there's almost no jet fuel available - would it still make sense to be able to gain the same boost as in other maps?
A: Either make it a weaker boost or- disallow boost if fuel amount is below a certain level.

Q: What about maps like Rok where, for a simple boost, you'd lose ALL of your fuel which would take a long time to replenish.
A: Since the rate at which you get your fuel back is the same in any map, there really isn't much of a problem... (hopefully you guys understand)

I suppose this would be the best way to do it.

Quote:Originally posted by TybsIn realistic mode this risk involves smashing urself into the wall... and u cant use ur jets for some time after using the boost. Sounds reasonable to me.

You'd still be able to slow down by the fuel that's left.

zyxstand
June 7, 2006, 9:25 pm
of course to add this, we must also add my other idea (real falling) cuz otherwise this idea would be useuless superman style... lol, i can imagine a situation in ctf_voland realistic mode: two people are on the top floor, one guy shoots his m79 and misses, the other is about to fire his barret (after having reloaded) and the first guy uses mega boost jets to escape and hits the roof and dies...