( search forums )
More vista discussion
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
bja888
June 7, 2006, 5:27 am
Please, no random Microsoft bashing. Want to have a mostly serious conversion. ( a pun here or there is ok though ;))

So, I freaking lost my free windows XP 64x edition key. I might be able to get it back next semester or the one after. Regardless, I don't like that fact that I am currently using a 64 bit processor in a 32 bit environment. I have already taken measures to run blender with 64 bit support thanks to FLAB's linux suggestions :)

I work on my computer for an income so it is rather important that it runs efficiently. So instead of buying a winXP 64x I might as well wait for vista for the better support. The problem is that it sounds too ridiculous to even consider. Here are some of the things I have heard.

- $99 : Is Microsoft really that scired that it wont sell?!??! I think windows XP pro was like $400 or $500 when it came out. Could this be the end of Microsoft if this doesn't sell? Is google really working on their own operation system? (A roomer I heard a while back). Keep in mind, this price is also a roomer.

- 1GB RAM min : I just upgraded from 640 MB to 1 GB. If I want this to be optimal for vista I will have to get 2 GB. If I buy this freaking OS the first thing I am going to do is turn off all the stupid visual effects. I think Microsoft got jealous of Apple.

- Dvd and Cd security: I have to use illegal software already to watch completely legal DVDs on my computer right now. WTF is Microsoft going to try to put up my ass now?

- 64 bit support: That's nothing special. Everyone is way ahead of Microsoft in this area. Besides that, NONE of the major products I use have 64 bit editions out. (except blender, but only for linux) Even if Microsoft manages to give out a few copys of vista. Will the software companies fallow suit?

Available options...
- Deal with Vista and STFU
- Switch to linux and lose the edge on major software
- Switch to a Mac never!

- Wait and see

Rotorvator
June 7, 2006, 5:40 am
I don't have any opinions until people actually get their hands on it.

Milkman Dan
June 7, 2006, 5:51 am
I have NO problem whatsoever with windows. People that [CENSORED] can switch to linux or whatever and NEVER complain about programs only working on windows and [CENSORED]. If you hate it, dont use it and suffer.

vash763
June 7, 2006, 5:51 am
My opinions would be that you should switch to Mac. But if you do not wish to then you're in a tough spot.

If you really think that software will push into 64bit, then go for Vista.

Unlucky 13
June 7, 2006, 7:33 am
From what I have seen of Vista, it isn't too big an improvement. There's a new backup system (something new, at least), transparent title bars which blur the text beneath them (kind of nifty but not too useful), and some minor changes to the Disk Defragmenter (again), along with the changes bja888 has already pointed out. I also heard somewhere that Vista has some relation to Perfect Table Plan, but I have no idea about that.
I don't know. I mean, I had Windows ME on my computer until 2003-4, when I changed to a new XP Home computer. I did not know how much I was missing out on, and, as it turns out, it wasn't much. I think I'll stick with XP Home for now, personally, and if dad DOES buy me Vista... well... I'll try to get him not to, if it is for me, at least.

Then again, if dad does get Vista, chances are he'll be saying "there goes the network", because of Microsoft and their having to make networking between previous versions of Windows.

bja888
June 7, 2006, 7:45 am
I downloaded one of the betas a while ago. The new folder structure and start menu confused me. The start menu grew on me a little bit being as how it was designed for those who navigate by keyboard alone. Then I was concerned about performance because it must of used a fair chunk of resources.

here was my initial review posted on another forum [URL]

Cookie.
June 7, 2006, 8:08 am
I am quite happy with Windows Xp Professional right now :p If I was going to change to anything soon it would most likely be a nice MacBook to go along side my desktop

Deleted User
June 7, 2006, 9:40 am
will there be any games that is vista only? if it is I have to upgrade my hardware and buy the OS.
and I'm happy with XP pro

Jermies
June 7, 2006, 9:43 am
Switch to Linux and d/l an emulator :P

Deleted User
June 7, 2006, 10:39 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13From what I have seen of Vista, it isn't too big an improvement. There's a new backup system (something new, at least), transparent title bars which blur the text beneath them (kind of nifty but not too useful), and some minor changes to the Disk Defragmenter (again), along with the changes bja888 has already pointed out. I also heard somewhere that Vista has some relation to Perfect Table Plan, but I have no idea about that.
I don't know. I mean, I had Windows ME on my computer until 2003-4, when I changed to a new XP Home computer. I did not know how much I was missing out on, and, as it turns out, it wasn't much. I think I'll stick with XP Home for now, personally, and if dad DOES buy me Vista... well... I'll try to get him not to, if it is for me, at least.

Then again, if dad does get Vista, chances are he'll be saying "there goes the network", because of Microsoft and their having to make networking between previous versions of Windows.

God, ME sucks ass, and there is a big difference between the two OS's. ME is a mess.

Quote:Originally posted by Psychowill there be any games that is vista only? if it is I have to upgrade my hardware and buy the OS.
and I'm happy with XP pro

Halo 2 :(

frogboy
June 7, 2006, 10:48 am
Halo 2, which is [CENSORED] anyway, could probably run fine on XP. The only reason it "can't" run on XP is because DirectX 10 is Vista only, which is ridiculous because DirectX 9 runs on any version since Windows 98, and Windows 95 was supported up until DirectX 8.

FliesLikeABrick
June 7, 2006, 12:20 pm
bja, can you please give us a link to the source of your information about it only being $99, because I'm dead certain that this is not true and I need to see a reliable source to believe it.

Vista has stupidly high minimum requirements (even for the base system without aero). Since it uses NTFS still, it is still going to bog down after time and the filesystem will get fragmented, as always. This is what causes windows XP boxes to get slow after you have them for a couple months.

Another thing I read lately says that Vista has really, really bad power issues on laptops and that it is very inefficient. When asked about this, Microsoft's representative said that they had bigger issues to worry about, and that they were not likely to fix this before release. Good job Microsoft, now a ton of people are going to stick with XP on their laptop, and if they get a laptop with Vista on it they're going to be pissed.

edit: and the fact that Microsoft is making DX10 Vista-only is ridiculous. This will give them a horrible name in the industry because they're forcing anyone who wants to play their new games (I'm sure they're going to have more than just Halo 2 require dx10) to buy Vista. I hope they get shamed for this and change it. It is a horrible and dirty trick, and anyone who thought about it would drive to their campus and lay a nice sh*t on their front steps, because thats basically what they're doing to their users

edit:

and as for me, I'd choose to switch to Linux.. though what you said about "losing out on major software" is not accurate. For every piece of major software that one misses out on (photoshop, ... whatever else) there is an OSS that is almost as good, as good, or better than the "major piece of software." Since switching to linux, there is absolutely no program that I've wished I could have had, but couldn't because of linux.

You should add an option to your list "switch to linux, and be happy!" because thats how it was with me. Not only did linux allow me to keep using my slow computers, but it made them so, so, so much faster than they were on windows. They also never slow down like windows because linux filesystems follow a model that are so much closer to how filesystems should be (inode models instead of... whatever NTFS uses).

SuperKill
June 7, 2006, 12:35 pm
And for today's events; an unknown spanish terrorist, carrying a Minigun and a Linux flag, has kinapped Mr.Gates and released the following tape.......

"Viva la liberation! NO MORE WINDOWS!"

..... The young terrorist has wrecked havoc in Microsoft's HQ, while installing Linux system on every computer in the building.

Deleted User
June 7, 2006, 1:38 pm
Microsoft uses Linux to run their Hotmail servers.

vash763
June 7, 2006, 2:39 pm
It sucks cause Halo was a good idea, and Microsoft is just raping it every which way so they can get more profit :(

bja888
June 7, 2006, 5:04 pm
@FLAB
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888Keep in mind, this price is also a roomer.

I saw it on two different sites, which leads me to believe it is quite possible. I haven't read any of these pages but they both contain Windows vista and $99.
[URL]
[URL]

Part of my job also Includes teaching clients some techniques I've developed or learned form this major software. They would say "teach me to do a color replacement on an image". I cant say that I only know how to do that on the gimp.

frogboy
June 8, 2006, 7:31 am
While WINE isn't perfect, it can run quite a few Windows-only programs. Then again, Linux is better for some things than it is for others. For multimedia, why bother using either Linux or Windows when there's Mac?