( search forums )
Mapping Forum Rules (new edit: Feb-03)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Flanagan
March 25, 2003, 5:58 am
NEW:
Necromancing rules 'implemented'
Posting rules updated (see rule 13)
Resources now belong to the former Help Forum, which is now the Help/Resources forum.
Gamestyle tags for new maps (see rule 11.1)
--------

As there was recently a discussion going on, about whether site ads for Mappingsites is spam or not, there is need to set up some rules for this. They concern SML mappers but also members from other (future) mapping sites/communities.

-> If you want to provide mapping resources like scenerypacks and texturepacks, please post them into the Help/Resources forum.

-> If you post ideas about a map, be sure that there is already some detailed descrioption of how it has to look and be.

-> If the map is WIP (Work in progress), pls post it in to the Map Discussion forum.

-> If the thread has been started by a member of a certain mappingcommunity, advert your site via a link in the main posting, also screenshot updates etc. should be edited into the main posting.

-> If you want to recommend your site/a hosting possibility to another mapper, tell him this ONCE in a reply. Further infos about SML are in the SML sticky thread, for those who dont know what it is.

-> Also discussions about SML should be held in the SML thread.

-> If a map is hosted by SML, do not direct link the download, link to the map description page. The SML offers more than just hosting, so it doesnt deserve to be abused as free webspace provider.

These are the forum rules.

1. No Spamming

2. If you post maps, Post at least an overview screenshot, or put a link to the screenshots.

3. If you can't find a host for your map or screens, ask. People here are quite willing to give advice, or host them for you.

4. If you map is not complete, put that the map is currently Beta or Alpha in the subject header.

5. Talk about your maps, or link to a review, either personal or 3rd party. Get people interested, don't just say I have a map.

6. Ask for advice on how to improve it. Even experienced mappers do it.

7. If you find a bug, either post it or email the author.

8. DON'T steal someones map or resources. Give them credit. If you want to improve it, get their permission, or create a tribute map.

9. Say whether a map is botted or not.

10. Topics titles must be neutral and not uppercase only. Include mapname into the topic title.
(Right: "ctf_Blabla out"
"ctf_Blabla ready!")
etc.

11. In case someone posts a map without screenshots or no/broken download link, it is enough if one person reminds him of this issue, there is no need of this being repeated by others, as it will count as post-hunting.

Wrong:
"THIS MAP ROCKZ!!!1"
"AWESOME MAP, DOWNLOAD IT"
"omg my map rules, so look at it"
etc.)

only almost finished and finished map should be postet into the New Maps section. The place for "Work in Progress" maps, map ideas etc. is the "Map Ideas/Discussions" forum.

When posting a new map, ALWAYS put the map's gamestyle at the beginning of the title in CAPS.

CTF = Capture the flag
HTF = Hold the flag
INF = Infiltration
DM = Deathmatch modes
KZ = Climbing map
RCE = Race map
MPK = Mappack (collection of maps)
VAR = Various (some very special gametype, like skijumping, Soldat-soccer,...)

If you are posting a map in more than 1 version, write both.
After the gamestyle tag add the map's name, and after that you can add a little comment if you wish.

Examples:

One map, one gamestyle:
CTF Outline
DM GreenHell - my first map
INF Warehouse2 - waypointer needed
MPK Ubermapper's Mappack with 99 maps!

One map, more gamestyles:
INF DM Darkveg
CTF INF Omoloo - Stoneage Theme!

12. Bullet Time maps go here.

13. Posting rules:

You must post constructive criticism, otherwise your post will be deleted. Do not post ratings, for they do not help the mapper improving his work in any way. If you want to waypoint someone's map, send him a PM and discuss the details there. Do not post in threads which have been inactive for some time, unless it's really necessary ( reporting dud links, etc. ) If the thread has been inactive for more than three weeks, and you have something important to say, do it via the private messaging system.

These are the Rules
Forum Moderators and Administrators will only be able to post here (unlock it)

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

If I or another moderator in forms you by PM, you must change the mentioned topic immediately. If a reply stating that is not received in within one week (7 days), you will be banned from the forum. If you feel you have been unfairly dismissed, email the moderator who banned you to discuss it. It will be up to them to allow you back in.

Swearing and flaming are not permitted. You will be warned and in case of continuous rule abuse banned.

For General rule statements about avatar sizes etc. see General Discussions!

Wills59
December 5, 2003, 4:04 am
New Rule (please) SAY WHETHER THE MAP IS BOTTED OR NOT!!!

Camping_Carl2
April 2, 2004, 5:11 am
new rule..

No new rules :)

Captain RibMan
April 2, 2004, 5:23 am
yay!

peemonkey
April 2, 2004, 5:48 am
minimum of 2 screenshots? cough*heil!*cough

Droopy
May 15, 2004, 11:26 am
I have a IQ of 115! Thank Captain RibMan!

peemonkey
May 15, 2004, 2:43 pm
droop, wtf?

Cookie.
July 25, 2004, 10:38 pm
Yay for GrandDiablo! The New Map Forum Saviour!!! XD

N1nj@
July 27, 2004, 3:16 am
finally, about time

Soap
July 27, 2004, 4:22 am
We need a rule against people having forum titles like "CHECKOTU MY NEW MAP IT RULES" when it is terrible (actually even if it's good, but you get the point).

And I have an IQ of 125.

FliesLikeABrick
July 29, 2004, 10:52 pm
If you need a host for screenshots, PM me. If you need a host for a map, use SML, but as the rules say do not abuse it. If you need a host for anything else, PM me as well
-Brick

grand_diablo
September 13, 2004, 10:52 am
Rule #11 added (tkx to Cookie for the suggestion).

Cookie.
September 14, 2004, 4:12 am
kekeke i have caused the creation of a new rule! bwahaha p433r me mapping community ;)

DePhille
February 5, 2005, 1:01 pm
If u need a host for maps use my site: http://soldatpage.u13.net , it's like selfkill's map hosting , but waaaaay faster and u can direct link. Avg. speed here (i got crappy i'net) is around 500KBytes/s download.

After u added ur map u'll get the link for direct download.

Grtz , DePhille

Cookie`
May 17, 2005, 5:41 am
Make a rule making it so people have to download the map before posting comments and reviews on it :| Right now this forum section is often abused with 1 line posts to increase post counts

If you post a map and you get a comment like
" what can i say...
nice 3d shading :D
i'd like to see more scenerys though.
as i can tell from the screenshot, gameplay will be 100% balanced and nice."
How does that make you feel? They judge your map just based on a small overview of a large map :|

I wish people would post more than 2 words as well
" very nice"
Its great that you like their map but couldnt you post a bit more if you actually liked it? Add comments or constructive criticism

[/end rant]

Smite them mighty moderator!!!

Sliker_Hawk
October 5, 2005, 3:40 pm
1000th view, I r teh win.

Oh, and I agree with Cookie. Too many people just say things like 'Umm..' or, 'Very nice' or 'Rubbish' - you get the idea...
(I know Cookie posted that ages ago)

warpo
October 30, 2005, 6:41 am
nice rules but i dunno if forum newbs will even bother to read it......just look around

DeMonIc
January 26, 2006, 2:21 pm
Rules updated. Warnings won't be handed out for a short while, until people get used to them, but if someone violates the rules again after he's been enlightened about the changes, he will be punished.

OutofOrder
January 26, 2006, 4:18 pm
Thanks for noticing the new rules that were needed. :)

gold
April 7, 2006, 9:26 am
New rules..lol