( search forums )
Using the ProEdit with Soldat 1.1.3
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Reaver
March 27, 2003, 7:05 am
I already said this under another topic, but thought that everyone that might want the info didn't see it there ...

If you were using the EditPro by Meitzi to make maps for the earlier version of Soldat and liked it, you can still use it to design maps for the new version. This is what I do :

Create the polygons and shade them with EditPro. It has sooo much better colour-control, zooming etc. so it's much easier to do visual "sugar" with it.
After this you can view how it looks wit the Map Maker.

If you save the map as old file type from the Map Maker you can open it in the old EditPro if YOU HAVE NOT PUT ANY SCENERY IN IT !!
If you add scenery then the EditPro will crash.

Adding spawns, even the new ones, does not prevent you from editing the map further with EditPro. It even saves them correctly, though it will not show them while editing ... !?

So make your map, playtest it for polygon-probs, and then finally add the scenery with the new Map Maker. You still have to compile the map with the new Map Maker for play-testing, but you still have the option of using the EditPro for further editing, before the scenery ofcource.

Hope this info was useful for someone, I certainly use these methods.

And, for those concerned, I do not mean to put down the Map Maker as a sofware, I know how difficult these user-interface-thigns can get. I propably shold learn the DX-API and try something instead of whining ... [;)]