( search forums )
Linux Dedicated Server - beta out!
Soldat Forums - Official Announcements - Official News
Michal Marcinkowski
March 31, 2003, 4:16 pm
The dedicated server for the Linux platform is finally out. It's still beta, so not everything is done, but it works and I hope there will be more good Soldat servers soon thanks to this.
Everybody interested in starting a Soldat game server please head to the Soldat Home Page Downloads page. Please don't forget to read readme.txt.
Linux servers will have "(X)" before the server name in the list.

If you would like to provide feedback please do it on the Developers Forum (http://soldatforum.dnagames.net/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=62).

TheKnightoftheMare
March 31, 2003, 6:36 pm
great I hope alot of good servers start popping up

sauron_the_deceiver
March 31, 2003, 6:51 pm
what the heck is a linux platform????

TheKnightoftheMare
April 1, 2003, 3:43 pm
windows = OS
linux = OS

mat
April 2, 2003, 12:37 am
finally! the long awaited linux server! off to install it right now :)

enjoyincubus
April 2, 2003, 12:48 am
This is great, but the unfortunate people who use Windows can still play on Linux servers, right? Linux servers tend to work better than Windows ones, as Linux is better suited for servers of any type, and I hope that everyone can bask in Linux's glory.[:D][:D][:D]

Shadow

Evolution
April 2, 2003, 2:17 am
is Linux like a PC that is differnt like
Macintosh or something? i dont know ANYONE who has it.

Starscream66
April 2, 2003, 2:26 am
Like TheKnightoftheMare said...

Linux is an operating system.

Just like windows is an operating system.

Evolution
April 2, 2003, 2:38 am
o i see.......

is it a expensive OS?

Duke33
April 2, 2003, 6:17 am
Hell no. YOu can pretty much download it for free of the intenet--and, its way more stalbe, than Windows. WOrks quite well. However, i stay with Windows cos there arnet many good gmes for Linux. Anyway, ive got a friend who loves it so much. Yeah, he wants to kill Bill Gates...anyway.....
the linux server sounds cool.

Devilman
April 2, 2003, 12:47 pm
most big servers run linux, and if your lucky enough to have a fast account(shell) with little limits, you could have a hell quick server

enjoyincubus
April 4, 2003, 10:22 pm
Yeah, that's why you will see big businesses running servers on Linux PCs. I saw it in stores for $30, but I thought I saw it for free on the internet somewhere. The BIG drawback is the lower selection of games.

For those of you writing in just to get more posts:

LINUX IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM. WINDOWS AND MAC OS X ARE OTHER OS's.

Shadow

Evolution
April 4, 2003, 11:18 pm
30 bucks?
not such a bad deal compared to Mac OS and Win XP

and the "free" version you saw, i think its only a free trial

Duke33
April 5, 2003, 3:29 am
No. Definatly not. YOu can download the whole version for most types of Linux (there are diffent types) for free off the internet or burn it. Or at leas t at the most it would cost a couple bucks. The only prob is that you dont get the written manuals that you get if you buy it in the store.
And yes, 30 bucks is very cheap, considering that WIndows cost hundred and hundreds of dollars.

wormdundee
April 5, 2003, 5:23 am
yes, but as has been said before, the cheap price is for a reason, there are hardly any good games, if your just gonna be using it as a dedicated server type of thing its great, but i dont think i would want it as my main OS

Duke33
April 5, 2003, 6:23 am
No kidding. I love Windows cos it has all the best games. However, if what you want is a good, depenable OS, then Linux is there.
HOwever, the cheap price is not costhers no gmaes--its cos the mkaer doesnt want money from it. He was in university when he made it and its been going for a long time. Hes not greedy (like good 'ol Bill) and so dosnt charge much for it.

Anyway, doesnt matter cos nothing could part me form WIndows and its games and that final :).

Ta-2
April 5, 2003, 6:13 pm
Yay now my clan can rent a server !!

And it costs 1/4 of the windows version server!!!

I feel good tadadadaa...

toadsMoke
April 6, 2003, 1:03 am
omg....... if someone doesnt know what linux is... i dont think that it should be explained to them... wow... that's impressive =P

Devilman
April 6, 2003, 2:19 am
i think the bottom line is, that it will create fast servers, and isnt that all that matters? who cares if you can play it or not on linux... you can serve it

Flanagan
April 6, 2003, 7:39 am
have you ever heard of Romtec's TRIOS? If you don't want to fiddle with dual booting (did that for a bit) you can get another small HD, Install Linux (average siZe you would need is about 5 gigs - 2 for the OS and 3 for stuff) than try it out. I'll fiddle with the linux server a bit, but my specs arent' that great for hosting a long term dedicated server.

btw1. You can get emulators for most games, and several games have linux ports. Quake 3, still a really good game, and others. I think that more and more game publishers and developers will be making linux installs like the standard windows. It will take few years, but I think it's coming.

btw2. Linux is always free, and the only thing you really pay for is the support. I don't fully understand the LGPL or the GPL or the OSI, but the jist of it is once it's free, it will always be free. Anyone can take the linux kernel for free and create their own OS and charge people for it. (I'm not sure if this is really true, but from my VERY limited understanding, it is, also pretty much no one would by an OS made by some one just building on the linux kernel.)

btw3. People who use linux, lets have a discussion. http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=3618