( search forums )
Best way to make a rectangular wall?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Nu
April 4, 2003, 11:56 pm
I've spent at least 8 hours over the past two days trying to create a rectangular wall that you will not slip through while walking across. I've tried having 4 triangles, whose sides face the outer walls, facing the center and overlapping a bit, but sometimes you sink in. I've tried having 4 triangles, each taking up a corner and going across but you still sink in. I analyzed inf_Warehouse and took the idea of putting two triangles together and having them overlap across the diagonal a bit, but it does not work all the time. Does anyone know the "optimal" formula for making rectangles? (I make mine 15 pixels thick)

I've also encountered a number of bugs. Sometimes, while walking along certain straight polygons, my character seems to bounce around and not stay on the ground. It sometimes changes to another Y-coordinate when I add more polygons. Is there a pattern to this bug? Also, you can sometimes walk halfway into perfectly vertical walls. This also seems to occur at certain X-coordinates, and can change according to how many polygons there are or how far they stretch. The final bug seems to have something to do with the order in which polygons are placed, or possibly the X-coordinate of a polygon. The overlapping-across-the-diagonal method I mentioned earlier seems to work most of the time, but sometimes my character dips into certain polygons. I made a bunch of "rectangular" polygons and overlapped them, but on a few of them (the ones on the right side) my guy will dip down and spring up, while on the others he will not (he'll just bounce a tiny little bit because of a corner that touches the surface, which doesn't really matter). Does anyone know why any of these bugs are occurring, and any possible solutions for them?