( search forums )
Linux dedicated server - doesn`t work.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
macch
April 8, 2003, 2:33 pm
Hello,
I tried to start a linux dedicated server and i found following problems...
Basicly it starts.. even if there is no "soldat.ini" file.. And when there is the "soldat.ini" file there is no difference. For example if in the "soldat.ini" i change the game port for players to connect to the game server runs still on 23073.
The server name is always the same " (X) Soldat server"
It doesnt register to lobby server and finally
when i connect to it nothing happens except that my ip is shown.

Let me give you the outtext that i get when starting the server:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Caution! This software is still in BETA phase. Use at own risk.
Soldat Linux Dedicated Server initializing...
----------------------------------------------------------------

Hit CTRL+C twice to exit
Please command the server using the Soldat Admin program
Welcome to Soldat 1.1.3
Server name changed to: (X) Soldat Server
CTF - B2B
UDP socket active
213.17.149.138 Requesting game...
Exception EControlC in module soldatserver at 08055831.
Control-C hit.

Eny help is greatly appryciated...
Regards
Maciej

p.s. I am sure that the firewall configuration on my router is correct so there must be something else wrong.

In linux, files for example "soldat.ini" and "SOLDAT.INI" are two different files. Maybe the name of "soldat.ini" under linux must be different than those two exaples i gave ?
Or maybe I need special libraries for the server to work correctly ?
Any thougs! Please!
/maciej/

Psieonic
April 19, 2003, 6:48 am
I am having the exact same problem. Ports and firewall settings all done properly. I can login using the soldatadmin program as well. Just, no game clients.

What distro of linux are you using?

Michal Marcinkowski
April 19, 2003, 10:59 am
"soldat.ini" and "SOLDAT.INI" ARE DIFFERENT FILES IN LINUX! Thats probably causing your bug. The file should be named "soldat.ini"
If there is no soldat.ini file the server uses the defaults.

Psieonic
April 19, 2003, 1:43 pm
Using the filename "soldat.ini". Used the "easy" method to construct the configuration file. Ensured that proper New Lines were used. (LF only [Unix/Linux] as opposed to LF+CR [Windows].) Problem still persists. And even if that were the problem, that still doesn't explain why I am unable to connect to the soldat server from a soldat client on my own LAN. No subnetting, no software firewalls, no crazy proxy settings, using Class C Private IP's (192.168.0.0), server is at IP 192.168.0.1, attempting to connect from host running version 1.1.3 soldat client at 192.168.0.2.

What would be so drastic about the environment that it would make the server software itself unable to read the configuration files?

Keck
April 21, 2003, 4:14 pm
just me being picky but... 192.168.0.X is a Class C private address. ;)

Psieonic
April 23, 2003, 2:29 am
Damn go get me all excited why dont you thinking that someone has posted a solution. LOL!

*Quietly edits his post* Yes. You are correct. :P It's a Class C Private Address. I'll just go hide in a closet now.

The computer I play soldat on is 192.168.0.2/24 (255.255.255.0) so as you can see, no wierd subnetting or nothing. No subnetting at all.

Ignoring my stupidity about remembering what IP is which class though, the question still remains. Why isn't the Linux Soldat Server accepting any options/settings from the .ini file?

macch
September 2, 2003, 11:50 pm
Well, I managed to fight this problem... It took me a while but i did it. I was right about the libs, that i needed more, than i had. While surfing the net I found some information on other product with simular errors, and the answer was to install package: glibc-local (for suse). I`m running PLD linux, and i found something like glibc-localedata ... after installing it with --force param, the soldatserver started to see the "soldat.ini" file, and also started to make good connections, but only for a while. After few seconds "connection problem" appears.

Michal : Napisalem, ze soldat.ini i SOLDAT.INI to rozne pliki, i tylko spytalem czy napewno z nazwami jest wszytko ok. Niestety to nie byl ten blad. W kazdym razie dzieki za pomoc i jeszcze raz gratuluje swietnego programu. Tylko moze tego linuxowego servera niech napisze ktos kto zna dobrze "C", na studiach napewno znajdziesz kogos w grupie kto sie tego podejmie.
Pozdrawiam

Michal