( search forums )
camping and sniping same thing(almost)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
blazer
April 10, 2003, 2:51 am
yo ppl sniping and camping a practicly the same thing exept camping u can use any gun where sniping u use the barret and go hide somewheres and blow ppls heads off just thought u ppl should know this little tip so when u say sniping ok and someone takes the barret and hides and blows ur heads off don't yell at him just say no sniping k?

Starscream66
April 10, 2003, 3:27 am
I'm not a sniper(unless you count the M79 as a snipe weapon) or a camper but I really don't see why anyone has a problem with either one.

If you want to snipe... Fine, you'll shoot slower

If you want to camp... Fine, it's easier to hit a stationary target.

It's just a tatic, don't get pissy if you can't alter your game play to counter their tatics. I really hate it when people can't just accept the fact that there are people out there that are just better than them at Soldat.

Sore losers blow.

that fuking sniper
April 10, 2003, 3:40 am
Snipers=Campers?! Lol, you propably didnt play that much did you?

Sniping, is taking either a barret or a rugger, and using it, camping, on the other hand, can be done whith eny weapon and litterally means you just stay in one position, its pretty unwise to equalize sniping to camping....

I for one, am a sniper, and I never camp......

N1nj@
April 10, 2003, 4:02 am
camping is one of a few good tatic used in many games

on the other hand, sniping is just killing people with a sniper rifle (barret/ruger)

Evolution
April 10, 2003, 4:40 am
isnt camping lying around and sniping, while sniping is jumping and moving around and killing?

Xorax
April 10, 2003, 5:09 am
just my 2 cents, anyone who equalizes snipers and campers should try to play more against non-n00bs =)

that fuking sniper
April 10, 2003, 6:53 am
Well said Xorax.
And Evo, camping isnt nessesarily sniping at it, while most campers use barret for their line of sight, camping litteraly means guarding a strategic point, or attacking from that point...

Devilman
April 10, 2003, 8:27 am
i use a barret, and i cant stand staying still.. i'd rather shoot it in the air than hide in a bush... does that mean i'm a sniper because i simply use the weapon bah

Mossy
April 10, 2003, 4:01 pm
I'm usually a sniper and yes you do have to move often! All about tactics! Sniping you must camp some but also be on the move.

camping is if your just sitting somewhere waiting.

Outcast
April 10, 2003, 4:39 pm
You dont have to camp with the sniper O_o

Mossy
April 10, 2003, 5:22 pm
I just hate when n00bs yell "Stop Camping" when your behind a sandbag reloading avoiding fire!

Dustbag
April 10, 2003, 6:38 pm
Just like that, I wanna know...what's wrong with camping??? I mean, it's a tactic, and some people suck at it while others are good at it...conclusion...I hate noobs that yell 'stop camping damnit' me too...

Outcast
April 10, 2003, 6:45 pm
You choose to camp because you cannot run around and shoot normally without getting killed in 2 secs, therefore you suck.

N1nj@
April 10, 2003, 7:15 pm
not really...

camping is just a tatic as me and starscream had said before

i guess poeple just choose to use differnet stragtgies (cant spell) over others

you could say camping = you suck, but it take some skill i guess to camp and kill people without them noticing...

(different poeple have different opionins on this matter)

mak89gt
April 10, 2003, 7:17 pm
i dont really understand why people are soooo fussy about campers. once i shot a guy from 5 feet ( more like 2 inches in screen ) and he said ' everyone, please use the vote ban option to ban these campers'

in order to be a good sniper, you do need to camp a bit and after the kill, run away to a new location.

i noticed a post by devilman on top, it is not good to shoot with barret while flying, the shot is always inaccurate O_o ( please not i usually use m79, ak-74, and BARRET)

ThaD
April 10, 2003, 7:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by mak89gt

i noticed a post by devilman on top, it is not good to shoot with barret while flying, the shot is always inaccurate O_o ( please not i usually use m79, ak-74, and BARRET)

keep practising then :0

wormdundee
April 10, 2003, 9:22 pm
yes, obviously you do not know how to shoot accurately while flying through the air, theres a trick to it, but for anybody who doesnt know i'm not going to say the trick although its very simple really

enjoyincubus
April 11, 2003, 12:45 am
Why do people have problems with snipers and campers and whatnot?

I have NEVER seen a camper or sniper win a game in which I partook in for the whole thing. They have came close, but unless you have 20 bots that stand in a group like idiot sheep, a camper or sniper won't win....

Shadow

N1nj@
April 11, 2003, 12:49 am
quote:a camper or sniper won't win....

i think you should take that back...cuase is wrong

i won a game in DM by just camping with a barret on the map, Cambooia

i just take skill and time to master it...

Evolution
April 11, 2003, 1:26 am
camping makes it harder to for people to shoot you.that way as starscream says, its quite helpful and tatical.

N1nj@
April 11, 2003, 2:43 am
actually it depends on how good you are in camping

camping with out no1 noticing is the highest level which makes it hardeer for poeple to kill you

but on the other hand...it makes it easier to aim at you since you are not moving which results getting killed

Duke33
April 11, 2003, 3:19 am
Yeah. i think that some camping is good, and even smart to do. I personally camp throughout agame, though n00bs cometimes protest. But, i think that you shhouldnt camp all the time, and i dont. Most of the time i'm running around with the barret, kickking ass.

By the way, enjoyincubus, i am almost always a sniper (carry a barret, that is) and i win, am at the top of the list quite alot.

enjoyincubus
April 11, 2003, 3:48 am
quote:I have NEVER seen a camper or sniper win a game in which I partook in for the whole thing. They have came close, but unless you have 20 bots that stand in a group like idiot sheep, a camper or sniper won't win....

Key word:
I

I've never seen you win camping....

Shadow

Evolution
April 11, 2003, 3:54 am
sometimes being good at camping depends on the map.

some maps are really bad at camping while others are better (like ones with tons of trees)

that fuking sniper
April 11, 2003, 4:00 am
quote:Originally posted by wormdundee
yes, obviously you do not know how to shoot accurately while flying through the air, theres a trick to it, but for anybody who doesnt know i'm not going to say the trick although its very simple really

There is no trick in sniping, put the curosr so that a strait line would intersect his body, whith nothing in its way, and congrats, you just killed someone, yay!

BTW, dont put your cursor ON the soldat, put it behind him or infront, when the cursor is on him and turns red it misses for some reason.....

And to all who said camping is a bit necessary when sniping, actually its what I dont do, after each kill, I go jumping and jetting like crazy, propably because whoever was the kill had friends whith him, (they travel in groups)......

N1nj@
April 11, 2003, 3:23 pm
actually the gun moves when you flying

when you fly up...the gun aims downward a slightly...

when you fly down/dropping down....the gun aims upward slightly too...

look carefully and you will see waht i mean

so sorry tfs, you cant do whatever you said up there when flying

quote:...put the curosr so that a strait line would intersect his body, whith nothing in its way, and congrats, you just killed someone...

that fuking sniper
April 12, 2003, 12:13 am
Well, works for me, dont know about others.......

Blankharddrive
April 12, 2003, 12:33 am
I agree with you guys somewhat... Camping sucks in Deathmatches, however, in CTF, it is sometimes necessary to have a few ppl camping / sniping all over the map. If the team plays together, they'll usually win. For example, a team of snipers will almost always lose. Just like a team of assault guys will almost always lose. However, if you have 2 or three snipers and several assault guys, your team will probably come out on top. It's all about strategy (which you guys already know) :)

blazer
April 12, 2003, 1:05 am
hey i am not dissing camping or sniping but real snipers don't take a barret and go run at someone and shoot no real snper hides wait for its target and then blam got one camping is where u take any gun hide and wait until someone come by and pound them then go to a new spot and wait some more a real sniper camps as a camper just camps
that was my point

N1nj@
April 12, 2003, 3:48 am
agree with blazer!

Duke33
April 12, 2003, 5:55 am
Well, man, its a mixture, as ive and others have said. You camp some, and thats fun and is neccessary and good. And then you run around some. However, you can quite successfully assualt the enemy base with a barret....works very well. Also, just running around the map with the barret and a keen eye works very well. Very well.........:)

Starscream66
April 12, 2003, 6:27 am
Hey Blazer,

I'm not trying to start crap, but could you try and use some puntuation please.

It took me like 10 minutes to read your last post and understand what in the hell you were talking about.

My head hurts now.

m1nt ch3w
April 12, 2003, 11:12 am
same here starscream, not one fullstop in the entire post.

I think that snipers stay in one spot, shoot a couple then move to another spot before they are sighted.

Campers stay in that same place the entire time.

Just my opinion.

Knuckles
April 12, 2003, 11:40 am
I think so.

m1nt ch3w
April 12, 2003, 1:31 pm
You think so.....about what? That they are the same?

blazer
April 13, 2003, 12:52 am
srry starscream.
and ever one else. not use to puting something at the end of my statments.

Outcast
April 13, 2003, 1:06 am
Real snipers are real in real life. Buuuuut...this is an arcade game(if you didnt know) where you can shoot just normally while not liing somewhere and waiting(yup you can JUMP shoot and SHOOT while running, damn am smart that i invented that), since it's lame and boring(Yup yup!)...or didn't you know that either?.

N1nj@
April 13, 2003, 3:34 am
waht are oyu trying to say outcast, get to the POINT!

Definations in an online dictionary

Sniper - someone who shoots at people from a place where they cannot be seen

Camping - staying/waiting in a stationary area for a period of time

blazer
April 13, 2003, 4:29 am
outcast i know u gan run a jump. a complete moron can do that. what i was saying is that when u snipe it really means in game and out. is that u stay pron and kill ppl far away. camping is where u take like the des and hide. thats camping get the picture?

Duke33
April 13, 2003, 6:39 am
btw blazer, gj. The wonderful owrld of punctuation.

Anyway, guys, why are we debating. Personally, i dont give a damn. If some guy wants to camp, let him. if he wants to snipe, let him. Its a game folks, and people can do whatver the hell want to. Its all part of the game. All the different components of a game make it more challenging, better, more, essentailly, fun. What differnce does it make if one is camping or sniping? While playing the game, why should you give a damn? If you get pissed at someone for camping and killig you, then live with it and then kick his ass later. As i said, just play, live and have fun and dont give a [:-censored] about what people are doing. :)

bgrathoff
April 13, 2003, 7:32 am
I agree with you Duke33.

that fuking sniper
April 13, 2003, 7:46 am
Thats right, if people want to camp, let them, I personaly dont object it, only makes my target all the easier to hit.....

Aquillion
April 13, 2003, 7:52 am
"Camping" is a term that only applies to single-player games. Applying it to team-based play, like CTF, is just silly -- holding the high ground (or a narrow tunnel, or whatever the key points of a map are) is a vital part of any good team-based game.

In CTF_Laos, for example, it's important for blue to hold the top of the island just outside its base. If they can't hold that, anyone can rain fire on their base from it or drop in to steal their flag in an instant. The narrow sections of any tunnel between the bases (which appear on several maps) are likewise key locations; a single Soldat with a minigun who hangs around in that area can often completely stop anyone from bringing a captured flag through that route, making it that much harder for the enemy to get the flag away from their base.

In all such cases, though, it's important to keep moving within the area you are defending, both to give you a good sight of the area and to avoid giving anyone an easy shot on you. Moving around a lot will also trick opponents who see you into thinking that you're just passing through, which increases the chance that they will walk into your trap while carrying a flag. It is also important to have at least one back way out, preferably through the air; you don't want to fight everyone who wanders through.

As for the camping/sniping debate, I think we're just having an argument over definitions, which is easily resolvable. According to [URL], a sniper is someone who kills their opponents at an extremely long range (in Soldat, this would mean from offscreen) or from concealment. Generally, if your opponent sees you and has a chance to fight back or dodge, then you are not a sniper; if you are usually moving when you fire, then you probably aren't a sniper.

Being able to hit an opponent with the Barret with pinpoint accuracy may be impressive, but unless you're doing it from outside their vision or under a bush it doesn't make you a sniper.

Alpha
April 13, 2003, 7:56 am
I think you sould all shutup, camping is neither bad, nor good FULLFUKINGSTOP.

Outcast
April 13, 2003, 11:01 am
In CTF it's defending, everywhere else it's camping. That was kinda known till the 1.1.x came and all this new ppl from i dont know where with new ideas... i wonder why.

blazer
April 13, 2003, 3:43 pm
this subject cam up when a noob complain i was camping. but i was sniping with a barret but he said it was ok. so my prob is that ppl who say sniping is ok better get use to ppl hiding. i dont care if u camp or not but i hate gttting banned becuase snipings ok but camping is not and i was "camping" not sniping if u use a sniper rifle and tun around with it. thats not sniping thats just u running around with a gun. if u want to be a sniper. u go hide and wait now if u get ur target and he dont see u. ur a true sniper. camping is where u take the aug and go hide. (it even works in dm rambo ctf infil etc) and stay in taht spot for a long time thats my point if i am using the barret i am not camping i am sniping a big deffernce

Duke33
April 13, 2003, 5:43 pm
Quite. I have said this before blazer, but it is much easier to read your posts now.

And, folks, why do we care about definitions of what a sniper is and what a camper is cos it doest mkae a difference. In my opinion, all that matters is that your team wins and you get a bunch of kills----nothing else. The means to the end do not matter, at least to me. I say that im a sniper--i say that due to the fact that i use a barret. The barret is a snipers weapon, hence sniper. I guess thats just me, but.......

blazer
April 13, 2003, 6:19 pm
i agree somewhat with u duke. i just peeved at ppl that yell at me when i snipe/camp. i do not do it much becuase of impatiantness. but when i do it for a few secs i get etheir banned or yelled at. if u want snipers to not snipe the get rid of the barret.

Chaosmongler
April 13, 2003, 6:55 pm
i can't believe you people can't deal with campers. They're usually retarded noobs that have no idea what the hell they're doing.

You want kills? Go out and get them. Sitting still makes you see less people, and thus, get less kills.

Duke33
April 13, 2003, 7:09 pm
Christ, do you not lsiten Chaos mongler? i am not saying that i cannot deal with campers, i am saying that why do we give a damn whether they camp or not? Most of the people on this forum can kick campers asses anytime, no prob. Besides, dont diss campers. As has been said in this thread, camping is merely a stragety, a tactic. Just the same as running in with a AUg, just the same as anything else you do in the game.

blazer
April 13, 2003, 7:18 pm
true duke

Outcast
April 13, 2003, 8:01 pm
SOoooooooooo, if you camp with the barret it's not camping but sniping, but if you camp with the aug it's camping...OHHHHHH so that's it! OMG such idiotism

Duke33
April 13, 2003, 9:35 pm
what the hell are you talking about Outcast? When did anyone say that the AUg counts as a camping weapon? Any weapon can be used as a camping weapon, including the barret. If you are refering to my mention of the AUG in my last post, i said that running in with the AUG and blazing is a tacitc, as is camping. Nothing else.

Outcast
April 13, 2003, 10:31 pm
quote:
Blazer wrote
if u want to be a sniper. u go hide and wait now if u get ur target and he dont see u. ur a true sniper. camping is where u take the aug and go hide. (it even works in dm rambo ctf infil etc) and stay in taht spot for a long time thats my point if i am using the barret i am not camping i am sniping a big deffernce

that fuking sniper
April 13, 2003, 10:51 pm
OK, lets strait thing out:

1. Sniping = using barret or rugger.

2. Camping = staying in one position and defending it or attacking from it.

3. Not all snipers are campers.

4. Not all campers are snipers.

5. Camping isnt necessarily a noobish strategie, although freaquently used by them, its not always so.

6. Camping isnt a crime, if people camp, let them , its a part of the game to stay around and camp.

Duke33
April 13, 2003, 11:06 pm
Thank you fuking sniper. You've got it right. Outcast---many apoligies, i did not see that post. What blazer said in that paticular post i dont believe. Anyway, sorry for getting mad at you.

that fuking sniper
April 13, 2003, 11:11 pm
Well someone has to say it.....

Aquillion
April 13, 2003, 11:54 pm
I do think it's important to remember, though, that the definition you gave for a 'sniper' is not the commonly accepted one. To most people (as noted at [URL]), a sniper is just someone who fires at their enemies from concealment or extremely long range, generally to avoid giving them a chance to fight back.

So, by the technical definition, using a an antitank weapon like the Barret doesn't make you a sniper; hiding in the bushes or shooting people from offscreen does. You can call yourself a sniper or a robot or a ninja or whatever if you want, but when people start reacting strangely or getting confused you should know it's because you're using the term incorrectly.

Duke33
April 14, 2003, 12:07 am
Guys, whatever. This is starting to get annoying and i agree with aquillion. Call yourself whatever you wand and do whatever you want, and let other people do the same thing without calling them names. If you get pissed, well, who cares? No one but you, i assure you. Consquently, we may draw from this that it is pointless to say people are campers, are snipers and so on. It is all a means to an end, to get a friggin high score. And so i beg of you, people, dont draw lines between roles, dont see in your mind campers and snipers and gunmen as seperate things for they are not. Everything is the same, it is all SOLDAT, and beyond that no-one should care what they are. Just kill, and enjoy watching small bodily parts go bouncing of walls..

m1nt ch3w
April 14, 2003, 11:08 am
how about we all just STFU?

.FF. PoiSoNeD
April 14, 2003, 2:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by enjoyincubus
Why do people have problems with snipers and campers and whatnot?

I have NEVER seen a camper or sniper win a game in which I partook in for the whole thing. They have came close, but unless you have 20 bots that stand in a group like idiot sheep, a camper or sniper won't win....

Shadow

Hey! Slow down m8! I'm no camper but I am a Sniper and believe me, I have won many DeathMatches.

sauron_the_deceiver
April 14, 2003, 4:32 pm
What I mind and don't mind

1. I don't approve of camping in a Duel, that just sucks.

2. I don't mind people camping in the open because I can get them then.

3. I mind people camping in bushes and stuff WHILE THEY ARE GREEN COLOURS unless it is a team game, then it is alright.

blazer
April 14, 2003, 7:07 pm
why is green a wrong color to camp/snipe?

Aquillion
April 14, 2003, 10:35 pm
Because it involves planning and using your head, which is cheating when someone else does it. [:P]

N1nj@
April 14, 2003, 11:06 pm
sauron_the_deceiver: too bad you mind so much, but guess what, it doesnt matter if you are green or not...you can still camp in bushes...is nothing wrong with them

that fuking sniper
April 14, 2003, 11:29 pm
Yeah, I made my alphit a new camo one whith variations of green, just so i could scout and still be camoflaged...

Duke33
April 15, 2003, 12:15 am
How do you make camo? Right now i just have all green. Do you have to edit files or something? Could you tell me, or is it a 'secret'.

N1nj@
April 15, 2003, 1:44 am
i think he meant by changing the colour

blazer
April 15, 2003, 1:49 am
man camo would be a cool color to camp/snipe with

Aquillion
April 15, 2003, 5:41 am
Editing the files would work, but only you would see it. You'd have trouble seeing everyone else, but they would have no problems seeing you.

I don't think anyone would complain about that kind of cheating, really. [:P]

that fuking sniper
April 15, 2003, 7:56 am
Dude, variations of green are at the color pallet in the menu, olive, or teal, stuff like that make you blend more than just one green....

.FF. PoiSoNeD
April 15, 2003, 9:46 am
I dress in black and it's cool to snipe :)

blazer
April 15, 2003, 10:11 pm
true black is a cool color i use to be that color until i had to red/l soldat

EvilLaugh
April 15, 2003, 10:15 pm
i am dressed like my rolemodel of life... even if he aint real..... i made my dude look like vash

blazer
April 16, 2003, 1:56 am
are u vash the stampede?