( search forums )
M79 is for the 1337
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
TheKnightoftheMare
April 14, 2003, 2:17 am
its true.

EvilLaugh
April 14, 2003, 2:24 am
Lie, anyone of the many weapons of soldat are fine. Your just being to narrowminded with your philosophy to actually see that. Besides. M79 isnt that great in my opinion

enjoyincubus
April 14, 2003, 2:40 am
All guns have advantages and disadvantages. Fortunately, M79's advantage is that it is better than all the other guns!

Shadow

.FF.nEcRoTik
April 14, 2003, 4:00 am
m79 rulez and that's all :D

m1nt ch3w
April 14, 2003, 6:25 am
quote:Originally posted by EvilLaugh
Lie, anyone of the many weapons of soldat are fine. Your just being to narrowminded with your philosophy to actually see that. Besides. M79 isnt that great in my opinion

You have got to be kidding.

Have you played against someone who is really good with the m79? They are the hardest to beat in my opinion. It is only good when it is in good hands. Some people just can't handle it, like me. [^]

EvilLaugh
April 14, 2003, 9:08 am
i played Xorax and he is pretty handy with it. Besides. Have you ever played anyone good with a Ruger? (tandy) or Spas? (Myself)

m1nt ch3w
April 14, 2003, 9:13 am
Yes and Yes

SoldatStriker
April 14, 2003, 5:29 pm
1337 is for the lame. M79 is the best weapon for someone who's an expert with the M79.

mak89gt
April 14, 2003, 5:40 pm
no doubt, m79, barret, and ak-74 are the best!

Rotmos
April 14, 2003, 5:46 pm
FFS
Eagles are the best!

bgrathoff
April 14, 2003, 7:16 pm
Nope, the Saw, Barret and M79 are the best weapons.

SuperKill
April 14, 2003, 7:52 pm
saw ?

ráz0r
April 14, 2003, 8:10 pm
NOOOO MY MINIGUN IS THE BEST WEPON ¬!>

bgrathoff
April 14, 2003, 8:12 pm
FN Minimi is called a Saw (Squad Automatic Weapon) in the USA Military.

sauron_the_deceiver
April 14, 2003, 8:38 pm
Well, if so call it a SAW. I wondered if you had made a real funny mod...

M79 EASILY the best. EASILY the 1337 weapon. BUT, EASILY the Broadband weapon.

I've said this 1000 times and I'll say it again. I need Broadband.

Aquillion
April 14, 2003, 10:31 pm
I don't think a good game should have 'perfect' weapons -- everything has to have its limitations and disadvantages, and you can't really expect to get by with just one gun. The M79, for example, has a very limited range, and the odd arc can make it difficult to use in tight tunnels. Its shots also move fairly slowly and can be dodged with low ping.

I do agree that it's a bit overpowered, but not as overpowered as some of the people who use it seem to think.

EvilLaugh
April 14, 2003, 10:34 pm
ok
seriously
socom owns all guns and you lot know it.
do not be frightend to admit it. It just does Simply own.
what gun pecks the foe to death with its bullets of impending humliation. hm? what gun can be used to take out 3 people real easily with beserker on? Hmm?

nuff said. my case rests

Aquillion
April 14, 2003, 10:41 pm
Ha, EvilLaugh, you make me laugh! Your USCOM is no match for my FISTS OF FURY! No mere rocket launcher or antitank gun is going to hit me when I'm using my strong kung-fu. Guns and grenades are the weapons of the weak -- the truly strong depend on their BLAZING FISTS and IRON WILL to defeat their enemies!

EvilLaugh
April 14, 2003, 10:50 pm
ok, fists are for the true GODS of soldat. if you can win a DM with just fists, that would be incredible. but......... seriously. The socom rulez

dark_skull66
April 14, 2003, 10:58 pm
this gun is not for the l33t/elite becuase it is for a fact (almost every prtofessional player knows this) that it is the easiest to figure out and master and be able to play good with. for example my friend started using it the first day he played and what do ya know?! he was killing ppl left right and center!

Rotmos
April 14, 2003, 11:03 pm
Eagles FFS
8)

Starscream66
April 14, 2003, 11:57 pm
You kill people left right and center no matter which gun you pick. Thats just Soldat.

The M79 rules only in some situations situations and is by no means easy to master compared to the other weapons.

I've talked about this before but I'll say it again for those who didn't read it.

The M79 has more handicaps than any other weapon in Soldat.
1) Very short range.
2) Very high arc.
3) extremly hard to aim at mid to "long" range.
4) Way slow reload time eclipsed only by the Barret and Minigun.
5) only has one shot before said long ass reload.
6) VERY suseptible to lag issues. (the now classic no damage shot to the face)
7) Only weapon besides grenades that can be self inflicted. (kill yourself)
8) Looked down apon as a Noob weapon by people who are getting fragged by it.
9) Chances of a so called "spawn kill" greatly increased due to the fact that it must be loaded after spawn. (barret as well)
10) Not always the best choice on small maps or really full servers because of the whole "spawn kill" factor.

Again, I challenge anyone to name another weapon that has this many handicaps.

And again, I also challenge any who considers it to be a Noob weapon to play with it against somone who is good with it.

BOW BEFORE THE M79 OR ACCEPT YOUR FATE OF REDUCTION TO A POOL OF FLAMEING GOO!

TheKnightoftheMare
April 15, 2003, 12:05 am
nice post Star. The M79 has a steeper learning curve then any other weapon in Soldat.

Starscream66
April 15, 2003, 12:11 am
DEATH TO ALL WHO RESPECT NOT THE FURY OF THE M79!
[:D]
THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE BLOOD OF THE NON BELIEVERS!

Aquillion
April 15, 2003, 5:38 am
Pfft. "Steeper learning curve" my ass -- when push comes to shove it's an instant-kill weapon with an odd arc that takes a few minutes to get used to. Any talentless monkey can use it rack up a ton of kills the first time they pick it up.

A raw beginner will get more kills with the M79 then with most other guns. An expert player will also get more kills with the M79 then with most other guns. This is because it is overpowered. Face it. You don't like it because it's subtle, delicate, stratetic, or skillful, and you sure as hell aren't choosing the M79 to cripple yourself -- you use it because you tried all the weapons and noticed that the M79 was objectively one of the most powerful. There's nothing wrong with that per se, of course; it'd be silly to expect all the weapons to be completely balanced.

But I'm sick of M79-players acting like their weapon is the holy tool of God with a hidden strength that only a skilled Soldat like them can use effectively. That's just bunk -- the M79 is popular because it is both powerful and easy to learn. If you're good with it, fine; even easy-to-use weapons benefit from skill, and it can help you overcome some of its disadvantages. It will never eliminate those advantages; despite its power, there will always be things that could be better done if you had talents with another gun -- these being, not coincidently, the things that the worse M79 players are most likely to whine about and call unfair.

The M79 is powerful; but being unable to use anything but the M79 is nothing to be proud of.

TheKnightoftheMare
April 15, 2003, 6:50 am
I could get more kills with the DE then with the M79, M79 is just great for trick shots.

TheKnightoftheMare
April 15, 2003, 7:10 am
Desert Eagles:

Statistics:
Bullet start speed = 15.83
Bullet start power = 41.8
Shots/Sec. = 3
Reloading = 1.63 sec.
Ammuniton = 7

M79
Bullet start speed = 9.16
Bullet start power = 16500
1 bullet in 3 sec.
Reloading = 3 sec.
Ammuniton = 1

that fuking sniper
April 15, 2003, 7:33 am
Shadow's right, the M79 isnt that hard to master, and has its limitations, just because you'r using it doesnt make you elite, using all weapons and utilizing strategies to counter your opponent does!

Your strength doesnt lie in your gun, but in your mind, its not the gun your using, its how you use it, and enyway, a big limitation of the M79 is the range (especially now in 1.1.3), I could snipe enyone using it before I enter his range....well most of the time :)

mat
April 15, 2003, 10:02 am
I use m79 too most of the time. in capture the flag is the perfect defense/ofense gun if max 2 players at the time are comming in (skilled players). but you're doomed with it if 3 or more of the enemy is in the screen. they can take u out easily.

DE is a superb gun too. (too bad i really suck with it) but u can do more harm with the DE if u learn to use it right

m79 means precalculation (because of the slow projectile). u have to know the next step of the enemy if u want to kill'm

Outcast
April 15, 2003, 1:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by Aquillion
Pfft. "Steeper learning curve" my ass -- when push comes to shove it's an instant-kill weapon with an odd arc that takes a few minutes to get used to. Any talentless monkey can use it rack up a ton of kills the first time they pick it up.

A raw beginner will get more kills with the M79 then with most other guns. An expert player will also get more kills with the M79 then with most other guns. This is because it is overpowered. Face it. You don't like it because it's subtle, delicate, stratetic, or skillful, and you sure as hell aren't choosing the M79 to cripple yourself -- you use it because you tried all the weapons and noticed that the M79 was objectively one of the most powerful. There's nothing wrong with that per se, of course; it'd be silly to expect all the weapons to be completely balanced.

But I'm sick of M79-players acting like their weapon is the holy tool of God with a hidden strength that only a skilled Soldat like them can use effectively. That's just bunk -- the M79 is popular because it is both powerful and easy to learn. If you're good with it, fine; even easy-to-use weapons benefit from skill, and it can help you overcome some of its disadvantages. It will never eliminate those advantages; despite its power, there will always be things that could be better done if you had talents with another gun -- these being, not coincidently, the things that the worse M79 players are most likely to whine about and call unfair.

The M79 is powerful; but being unable to use anything but the M79 is nothing to be proud of.

I said it before ill say it now, m79 is easy to master to a certain level, beyond that it's an art.
You just go on my nerves by saying it's overpowered.
All you need is a good player behind a weapon.
Xorax with aug, spike with AK, rotmos with DE....They can kick your ass no matter what weapon you use.
So stfu with the "oh it's overpowered and it's easy to learn bla bla" , so what if it is? What's your problem? Use it then!
And dont reply that you dont like it the easy way and you want soldat to be a challenge with other weapons cuz it's a bunch of lies.
Every1 chooses what weapon they like or theyre good at it, and m79 was always popular, as was barret. And i dont see any1 complaining about the barret do I? *shrugs*
It is good as it is since now i can get my ass kicked with any weapon, it all depends on the man behind it. Period.

And yes mat, the m79 is pure psychology and experience since you have to be a step before the opponent in thinking, and you get better at the more you play.

EvilLaugh
April 15, 2003, 1:49 pm
i dont agree with mat when he says its the PERFECT defensive weapon. now everyone has seen me use the Spas and Grenades on soldat will know that i can take out at least 3 cappers at once with it. And its not too hard to do either. in honest opinion still, Spas and Nades CAN and will still be enough to take down an avid m79 user. Its like holding your hand up to a short armed person who who angry at you almost

EvilLaugh
April 15, 2003, 1:53 pm
oh and for the record. to any n00bies who regard the m79 weapon as cheap, or the barret. Always say "There is no such thing as cheap except your use of the word and your arguement against it"

seriously, there is only two cheap things EVER in computer games. One is M.Bison's knee slide. the other mario karts AI

mat
April 15, 2003, 6:39 pm
evillaugh: if u're defending with spas, I sure can take u out alone with a m79 :D

(argghh just fix the damn Access Violation bug, cause i cannot show u)

hehe

that fuking sniper
April 15, 2003, 10:51 pm
Eny weapon is a perfect weapon if it is used perfectly, the term 'perfect' here is missused, as perfection as it comes doesnt wrap everything in one and says that this thing is perfect, perfection in one weapon means that you use it the way it was designed to be used and hit enything whith it....

There is no 'this is better', 'this is bad' in a game (or enything) that gives you options, in a game like soldat, Michal dedicated alot of time balancing the weapons so they could have their prons and cons and special charastistics.

If one weapon was just 'better' as you say it, then as soon as this strength is discovered all would massively use that weapon which leaves no point for other options....so whats the point in choosing guns then?

You think that a weapon is 'perfect' for something (such as M79 for defending as mat said) because YOU like to use it that much and mastered that weapon, so it seems to you that this weapon is superior to others because you use it better than you use other weapons......

Starscream66
April 16, 2003, 2:17 am
Aquillion,

Your talking out of your ass. Many M79 users started out with other weapons because it's not easy to learn at all. I started out using the AK and the FN because the Barret and M79 were to difficult to use in my infant stages of waxing fools. Their disadvantages, to a new player, far outway their only advantage... their power. And in my opinion the M79's disadvantages even outdo the Barret with it's limited range. lag issues, and self inflicting properties.

And even though I consider it to be my primary weapon, I don't use it exclusivly and I don't think that any of the other M79'ers do either. I happen to be very deadly with the D.E.'s and quite handy with Evil Laughs favorite, the Soccom. I could just as easily use the D.E.'s and get just as many kills as I do with the M79... but there's somthing to be said about the sight of smoldering body parts flying about through the endless grey... aaahhh... such a beautifull thing.

Another one of the things that drew me too it's side was the fact that so many despise it. It may only perpetuate its bad reputation, but I love to see just how pissed people get when they go up against a skilled M79'er and end up leaving the server with a few nasty comments and a broken spirit.

Humiliation is the most deadly weapon in any arsenal.

So again I challenge any who feel that it's an easy weapon to master to wield one against a skilled user and see just how badly you get whooped.

...And I'll come from on high, raining fire and brimstone upon all who opose me. For Michal has bestowed me with the M79...
(Soldat 3:16)

TheKnightoftheMare
April 16, 2003, 2:21 am
"Another one of the things that drew me too it's side was the fact that so many despise it. It may only perpetuate its bad reputation, but I love to see just how pissed people get when they go up against a skilled M79'er and end up leaving the server with a few nasty comments and a broken spirit."

lol one of my favorite parts.

EvilLaugh
April 16, 2003, 3:44 am
i still reckon that no gun should be able to insta-kill on this game.... it kinda takes the fun away

Starscream66
April 16, 2003, 3:54 am
Maybe for you.

But for others thats exactly what makes it fun.

The weapons in Soldat are balanced pretty well considering and I think that if you compared the average scores of experienced players with each weapon you'd see that they're pretty darn close. So it all comes down to, whats your weapon of choice?, and how good are you with it?.

colorado18
April 16, 2003, 4:47 am
i love to play with the m79 and the spaz I think those have to be the best because
i love to cause splash damage and like to be able to hit someone with out a direct
hit, but i still have to master it because i still cant get one hit one kills

ALWAYS BOW TO GOOBERPATROL or just say hi

sci-fi
April 16, 2003, 5:11 am
quote:Originally posted by EvilLaugh
ok
seriously
socom owns all guns and you lot know it.
do not be frightend to admit it. It just does Simply own.
what gun pecks the foe to death with its bullets of impending humliation. hm? what gun can be used to take out 3 people real easily with beserker on? Hmm?

nuff said. my case rests

took out 3 guys with 1 m79 shot and the 2 that came after him with 1 gren each...5th and 7th needed sidearm [:P]

so y, the socom is handy, though I only use it in case of emergency

that fuking sniper
April 16, 2003, 5:38 am
OK, Evil, imagine the barret taking 2 shots to kill, would that be fun? by the time you even load the second bullet to kill them they kill you, or get to a health pack, or in ctf games just run past you, rendering the barret useless in that case....

Same thing whith the M79, whithout its one-shot-kill propertie it wil only be a mass damaging artillery that needs 2 shots to kill, grenades are prefarable here.....rendering the M79 useless....

sci-fi
April 16, 2003, 1:55 pm
u guys are thinking all wrong

try...combinations...
and I don't mean m79 and deagles or something like that, no, try 1 m79 shot, if it doesn't kill him, or there are more around and they are all after u, use grenades while it reloads, and when times really get thug, use socoms

Starscream66
April 17, 2003, 2:07 am
That was truely enlightening Sci Fi, thank you.

The strategy of it's use is not in question here. The issue is the superiority of the M79, the people who use it, and the people who dislike it.

Did you even read the previous posts?

Please, try and keep up.

sci-fi
April 17, 2003, 2:33 am
I did, and I found out that all u guys are thinking about is M79 and barret...

while any newbie's choice would easily be the minigun
I've had a whole class as my test subject, and they all went for the minigun first, all but 1... me :)

that fuking sniper
April 17, 2003, 2:39 am
I went for AK as my first choise, not the minigun...newbies are not stupid, and dont forget that we all were newbs before, not every newb's choise is the minigun, thats a weak assumption.......

Starscream66
April 17, 2003, 2:55 am
Very weak

I also went for the AK and then soon switched to the Styer.

I think that in the 5 months I've been playing Soldat I've only used the Minigun maybe three or four times. It's just not a very practical weapon in most cases.

It was only after I was comfortable with the controls and pysics of the game that I started my search for the perfect weapon for my style of play. Which, as you know, led me to the M79.

...For I wield a power not of man, and thou shalt tremble in it's presence...
(Soldat 5:12)

wormdundee
April 17, 2003, 3:00 am
i have to say though there was that one game where i was playing with fuking sniper and duke, and our whole decided to all use miniguns and go on a rampage, god that was fun, but really, thats the only time i would use it

anyways, being able to use an m79 well isnt that hard, i mean you can pick it up pretty easily, but you can still get owned by anyone whos better than you with other weapons, the m79 takes a long time to master, as in being able to kill someone every shot you take, you have to be able to make quick calculations in your head to decide where they are going to go next and where you shot is going to be at that time, so really, easy to begin with, but hard to perfect

EvilLaugh
April 17, 2003, 7:10 am
believe it or not miniguns have the biggest practicle use of just allowing you to fly hugs gaps at fast speeds.... oh wait im leaking my secret......... DAMN!

Ronin
April 18, 2003, 7:58 am
I've always thought the best thing about it was the splash, taking out more than one target with a shot, something the barret lacks. But on the humiliation score, nothin beats sniping a sniper [:D]

sci-fi
April 18, 2003, 8:19 am
never even took an ak :P
but then again, I'm not ur casual newb

I'm pro at choosing small communities, last one I was in was WFA
see for urself: http://wfa.Clanbase.com (rigor mortis :( )

that fuking sniper
April 22, 2003, 7:04 am
Sci-fi, when will you learn, AK, as all other weapons isnt a weapon 'eny noob chooses' there is no such thing, while they do seem easier than barret or m79 or deagles, I suggest you know this, you cant say that noobs select this weapon because its easier, my friend for example, fell in love whith the deagles the first time he played...

You cant classify eny weapon by its user, nor can you classify a user by the gun he is using.....even terms such as sniper can also be applied to eny gun, although its commonly in most games that snipers use eny gun whith a scope, its not a ristriction.......

sci-fi
April 22, 2003, 11:02 pm
the sniper was camping a bush...lying down...facing the wrong side :p

TheKnightoftheMare
April 23, 2003, 12:57 pm
ahh then the m79 person would of saw him anyway :P

TheKnightoftheMare
April 23, 2003, 4:54 pm
the gun was sticking a mile outside of the bush.

superfly
April 23, 2003, 5:39 pm
i can use m79 it's easy just aim and shoot

.FF.nEcRoTik
April 24, 2003, 1:15 am
LOL depends of what way the guy is moving, preparing yourself to shoot at the right moment, being careful for the nade doesn't fly to high and hit the ceiling, being careful for the nade doesn't fly to low or it will blow up on the wall. tell me if i'm missing something more :P

mak89gt
April 24, 2003, 1:22 am
everybody thinks barret and m79 are for n00bs, but they are not! its takes a lot of practis to get the hang of them.

Starscream66
April 24, 2003, 2:11 am
Whoa to you, on earth and sea. For I bring forth the beast of wrath because you know your time is short...
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number...

The number is M79.

(Soldat 12:22)

that fuking sniper
April 24, 2003, 3:15 am
UP THE IRONS!

Outcast
April 24, 2003, 10:51 am
quote:Originally posted by .FF.nEcRoTik
LOL depends of what way the guy is moving, preparing yourself to shoot at the right moment, being careful for the nade doesn't fly to high and hit the ceiling, being careful for the nade doesn't fly to low or it will blow up on the wall. tell me if i'm missing something more :P

That's if you host, if you play you gotta calculate the ping in that too. But your just going into details...in short you need a good aim and you gotta know some human psychology ;)

.....And I still say it's easy :)

TheKnightoftheMare
April 24, 2003, 2:45 pm
soldat is easy to learn, but alittle harder to master.

sci-fi
April 24, 2003, 3:32 pm
luck beats skill...

sanity
April 24, 2003, 4:11 pm
m79 15 700 1337 f0r j00 h4x0r5!

that fuking sniper
April 25, 2003, 6:01 am
You got it all wrong, whith skill you dont need luck :)

Oh yeah, enyone knows why the hell cheaters used to spray whith m79? that was stupid, you could snipe them out before they get in range.....in teh later stages of 1.5b they started to get it and sprayed barret :/

Evolution
April 25, 2003, 6:51 am
SKILL - more important then luck
LUCK - you have no skill

so skilled soldat players are better then lucky soldat players

sci-fi
April 25, 2003, 1:07 pm
but the lucky ones make nicer shots :)

sanity
April 27, 2003, 2:47 pm
quote:Oh yeah, enyone knows why the hell cheaters used to spray whith m79? that was stupid, you could snipe them out before they get in range.....in teh later stages of 1.5b they started to get it and sprayed barret :/
i used to kill cheaters that sprayed thousands of m79 bullets at me with a single shot from my m79 quite frequently... so just coz u could snipe a m79 cheater with a barret doesnt prove anything man. the m79 involves just as much skill and luckas any other weapon.

N1nj@
April 27, 2003, 3:46 pm
m79 and deagle take more skill than any other gun (in my opinion) because m79 and deagle both have the arh-shooting

whihc shots in a angle rather than straight whihc makes it harder to aim...but both are very powerful

that fuking sniper
April 27, 2003, 10:05 pm
Christ, wtf is wrong whith you sanity, its not like I was trying to brag of killing them, I was saying that they were extremely stupid in using such big power so unefficiently.....

I've seen people kill them whith deagles and aks, so I wasn't trying to prove that barret is better or enything.....

N1nj@: The fact that the shots are arcs doesnt mean that its harder to shoot whith them, as is whith a strait shot whith a barret you will get used to the charastistics of the shots and will be able to shoot accurately.......

N1nj@
April 28, 2003, 12:34 am
exactly....so for most poeple who played games....most guns shoots straight! so this would be harder

sanity
April 28, 2003, 6:40 am
that_[:-censored]ing_sniper: sorry if i got defensive man, all i meant is that m79 and barret are equal and im sick of people arguing over which is better lol.

sci-fi
April 28, 2003, 7:42 am
barret is easier imo, just point&click
especially when ur camping

that fuking sniper
April 28, 2003, 7:57 am
Well, some people say its very easy, some dont, some think the arc of the M79 is easy some dont, I say enyone can master enything, and people say something is hard because they only tried once and cant judge it clearly..... In my opinion there is no weapon that is better than the other, although my name suggests that I prefer barret, its just that I enjoy it alot, but I also use M79 at alot of occasions...

snappy10
April 28, 2003, 9:06 am
m79 is the most powerful and the hardest to learn how to shoot. but once u master it ur ALMOST unstopable

sci-fi
May 1, 2003, 1:16 pm
lol, I played whith it first time I played, ended up having 36-2